( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)lıllılıllılılıllı({Official ARMS Thread})ıllılılıllılıllıl( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by FriedShoes, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

I'm so excited for this game.I still have the slightest reservations about the depth of the game, but everything tells me that it's going to be fine. The features just look great, though. I like that you can play a different game mode while waiting for a ranked match.
  2. sjmartin79

sjmartin79 White Phoenix of the Crown

Twintelle is my absolute new favorite! Still loving Ninjara and Helix, but Twintelle will be the first one I use.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. EvilTw1n

EvilTw1n Necessary Evil Staff Member Moderator

This is like the inverse of Splatoon. When I watched vids of it pre-release, I started off enthusiastic but got less and less hyped. With ARMS, I thought this would be a middling Wii Boxing Plus-sort of thing, but it keeps looking more amazing everytime I see it.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Juegos

I'm on the Twintelle hype train. Ramen girl is still my favorite though.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. FriedShoes

FriedShoes MLG Staff Member Moderator

*sips tea toward you derisively*
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  6. FriedShoes

Oh what.
    There's a demo video in the Testpunch that looks like a 4-Player free for all. weird, dont think I saw that mode in the Direct.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. MANGANian

MANGANian Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie

But it was there.
  8. FriedShoes

I must have missed it
  9. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

I was wrong.

I'm sold!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    • LOL LOL x 4
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  10. FriedShoes

The Global Testpunch will have everyone but the 3 new revealed characters (Byte&Barq, Kid Cobra, and Twintelle) playable.
  11. Juegos

I hadn't even realized king cobra was revealed. He looks alright, too. I really like the character design of some of these later characters compared to the ones that were revealed together with the game. I guess that's a common theme in fighting games, you have some very generic main characters, but some very weird fringe characters.

I can't wait for the test.
  12. FriedShoes

THIS MIGHT BE INNACURATE

eShop listing says otherwise.
    Hoops will be available, but not V-Ball.
    [​IMG]
  13. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 Fresh starts now Staff Member Moderator

Day 1 Im in now!

As of right now Im really liken the Master Mummy:msrs:
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  14. Juegos

• Like Like x 1
  15. Juegos

IT'S FUN!
  16. Juegos

I only played with the pro controller, but the controls seem perfectly functional in that way. I never felt like I was missing any kind of functionality in terms of twisting the punches and so on. From what I can tell, the game still revolves around basic fighting game fundamentals, i.e. timing, positioning, recognizing opportunities to punish or to move in, etc. The mechanics seem solid and lend a lot of opportunities for outplaying your opponents, and the characters have enough unique mechanics that a player will find one they are interested in.

That said, it's very hard to get a real feel for the game when only 1 in 4 matches in this test is a balanced 1v1. V-ball is cute, and so are team matches, but they get old pretty fast. I wish we were allowed to play exclusively 1v1 in this test. Right now I'm not convinced that I'll jump back into the test tomorrow or Sunday, even though I'm sure I'll get the full game when it comes out.
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
  17. mattavelle1

Seems like I echo what you 2 have said so far.

At the very least I will buy it for my oldest, he loved it and he said the right words for me. He told me "once I get used to it I'll be real good". That's enough for me to buy it.

I will play with the pro controller tomorrow.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. FriedShoes

The get good game is legit :^)
    • Like Like x 2
  19. FriedShoes

1v1s are where its at.
    V-Ball took some getting used to but I ended winning even with Helix's slow arms against Ninjara, so its something to get used to. Fun extra.
    Not a fan of the tag stuff, the "rope" that ties me together with a random is just too strict. Could be fun with a cooperating friend, but with a random was a bit too tight and chaotic.
    Triple Threat and Fatal Four Way setups could be good, but I didnt like not being able to defend against the guy that was attacking me, not sure if there was a "switch opponent" button, but that would have helped a lot. Without it, I kinda had to potshot people around otherwise, which was interesting in that I could do that but not ideal at all.

I was playing on my bed with motion, worked fine. I would like to give the pro controller a try, didnt know you could in the demo. Will look at it tomorrow.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Juegos

The controls are pretty good for the pro controller. Use B and A to punch left and right, Y to dash, X to jump, left stick to move, push the left stick to guard, super with any of the shoulder buttons, change target with the right stick (in a mode for more than 2 players).

Only thing I would change is guarding with a shoulder button instead of pressing the left stick.
    • Like Like x 1
  21. theMightyME

theMightyME Editor in Chief of TVEnthusiast

What about punching with zr and zl?

Can you curve your punches when you play with the pro controller
  22. Juegos

A short guide with things I find useful so far:

- Blocking beats regular attacks, Throws beat blocking, Attacks beat throws.
    - Dodging with a dash or jump is risky compared to blocking, but if you are successful your opponent's attack will take longer to recover compared to when it is blocked, so you'd have more time to punish.
    - Jumping is better for avoiding an attack than dashing. However, you are vulnerable to being punished upon landing.
    - You can use your Rush (or Super) as a parry. It's fairly easy to bait an opponent into attacking you, then parrying that with the rush and dealing a lot of damage.

I wish I knew anything about the actual arms and character skills right now, but there just wasn't enough of a chance to really get into their properties with all these silly v-ball matches.

As far as I can tell there's no way to change the button configuration in the test. Hopefully that's different in the final release.

To cuve your punches with the pro controller you just press a direction in the left stick while pressing the attack button. As far as I could tell you didn't need to hold a direction after releasing a punch, only when you activate it. For example, if you press left and B to throw a boomerang then move the stick forward to move your character forward, the boomerang will still take the "left" trajectory.
    • Like Like x 2
  23. theMightyME

I meant zr and zl in response to the changes you would make

arms plays kind of more like a shooter, so the shoulder buttons make sense to me.. it is also the easiest button combination to hit simultaneously for the grab

I would say zl and zr for the punches (duplicated on r and l), b for jump, x for dash, y to guard, a to rush attack, right stick for camera control, left stick for movement, the whole d-pad for changing targets

or you could change that.. have the d-pad and r stick let you curve your punches after you throw them, switch rush attack to hitting dash and guard at the same time, and then have "a" switch targets
  24. FriedShoes

3-4 player battles, apparently pressing up on the D-Pad switches opponents. I'm gonna test to make sure.
    If so, should make those modes a lot more fun to play.
    • Like Like x 1
  25. mattavelle1

For me can confirm.

Pro controller for ARMS is awesome

ARMS is awesome now

Master Mummy inbound

Day 1

:msrs:
    • Like Like x 2
  26. FriedShoes

I, shockingly, also really like the Pro Controls. You can punch with triggers. I hope you can remap buttons, I need the dash/jump and punch face buttons flipped. Punching takes some getting uses to but overall I think its better.

Trying to fight Ribbon as Helix is tough. Only eked out one win against that character. Otherwise, I'm getting a good feel for the character and having a lot of fun with the game.
    • Like Like x 1
  27. simplyTravis

simplyTravis "A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

It does. I was able to do this in those matches yesterday.
    • Like Like x 1
  28. FriedShoes

(16:40 onward is where I'm actually getting legit good)

Thoughts after today: Ribbon Girl might be OP. Anyone else feel this? The air game is just really strong. Helix if fun. V-Ball is still pretty good imo, but I would not put it in my rotation. FFAs feel much better now that I know how to switch opponents, they should be more upfront about it. I might prefer sticks to motion, gonna give the latter a better try tomorrow. Gamepad play is prettty nice and comfy. Helix and his looooong arms are fun.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 3
  29. mattavelle1

Well for only playin Master Mummy I can say that ribbon and somewhat springman are really good. So much so I have thought about givin them a go. I'm committed because I really like the mummy tho but that move well.

An ARM I think is OP tho this that dragon beam Mia (or whatever has). It felt like there was no way to get around be around it.

I do really like Vball, but I hope it's a mode on it's own and not mixed in with "turf wars".
  30. FriedShoes

I think that and Hoops will be locked in with Party Mode. I just want regular friend lobbies (not sure if thats a thing) to be customizable.
    • Like Like x 2
  31. mattavelle1

Yeah I'm with this
  32. Juegos

I don't necessarily hate v-ball, but I really don't want to be playing it every third match. Maybe that rate will feel fine after I've played the core game for dozens of hours and need a break from it more often, but right now my priority is to get in some 1v1 matches and really try to learn the game system.

So regarding that, it's hard to get a real sense of how the hell this game works because I just haven't been able to spend enough time with the core mechanics. Even so, I can see there are interesting dynamics in here that will become more important as we get better at the game. I mentioned yesterday how one of the main aspects of the game is the hit-block-throw triangle, and the block-dash-jump risk-reward spectrum, but today I noticed there is also a system of how effective your attacks can be when they are charged or uncharged versus light and heavy opponents and versus light and heavy arms, which is an important strategic and tactical element to consider. For example, the popper arms might seem weak against Mummy because he doesn't get knocked down like a lighter opponent would, but he can still be knocked on the ground by charged poppers if you really need to keep them. At the same time, Mummy would know that you need to charge them, and be ready to throw you off your block, or punish your jump charge.

Another important aspect of the game is being aware of whether your opponent has both arms ready at a specific time. Blocking and throwing are both very strong, but they require both arms to perform. This means that if your opponent decided to throw a boomerang at you and you were ready to dodge it, then you can take advantage of the fact that he won't be able to block your two arm attacks, or be able to throw you off your block (and charge). Being able to recognize that your opponent has limited options means you can either punish him with damage or charge your attacks to force a knockdown or something.

But again, this is stuff that I barely get the scent of before I have to go play volleyball again. I think the game will have a lot of depth once we get it on release, but it's not easy to get a proper sense of it during this test. Maybe on next week's test they'll reduce the rate at which v-ball gets played.
    • Like Like x 2
  33. Juegos

It would be great to be able to set up an 8-player lobby (or more?) where we only get 2v2 and 1v1 regular matches. Even the item ones would be cool.
    • Like Like x 1
  34. FriedShoes

35. Juegos

Pretty cool. Since the site doesn't say anything about private lobbies, I guess I should assume they won't be an option.
  36. sjmartin79

My schedule finally worked out that I could do a test punch, and that was fantastic! I got to play all the modes. There is definitely a learning curve, but I won at least one match of 1v1, 2v2, 1v1v1, 1v1v1v1, and vball. Even when I didn't win, I still had a blast.

There was a guy in my lobby that definitely holds a grudge. This other guy and I stomped him in a 1 of 3 match, and the next time I saw him in a 1 of 4, he ignored everyone else and came for me... to his detriment. And then in a 2 on 2, when he was partnered with me, he refused to throw a punch. Lol

I used Ninjara the whole time. I should have tried others, but I wanted to get better with one before swapping.

I already planned to get Arms, but now I'm super excited to get it. And I don't care for fighting games. Something about this was different and more fun for me.

Edit: and I did get 1 "Perfect" 1 on 1 match. Pretty proud of that.
    • Like Like x 2
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  37. FriedShoes

Only played for a bit today. Mostly a bunch of Mummy matches where they did not stand a chance.
    • Like Like x 3
  38. FriedShoes

Preview embargo is up, some info is dropping now.
    Totally is a thing. Completely customizable

Bit of Grand Prix is shown off, pretty much exactly what they showed off in the direct, just some intro in the beginning and flavor text in between matches. Not sure it will get any more expansive as it goes on except maybe the final boss and hopefully a typical arcade character ending.
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  39. sjmartin79

Arms was great today! Loved the target game as well as the 3 on 1 against the big bad.
    I did some with Twintelle and some with Ninjara. I really should use some of the others.
    Can't wait for the release!
    • Like Like x 1
  40. Goodtwin

Goodtwin Well-Known Member

I tried out Arms this afternoon, and I gotta say, I didn't like it. I started with playing with the motion controls, and it made Wii Boxing look good. The controls are not intuitive in this form at all. I'm sure you could get acquainted with them through hours of play, but my early matches didn't make me want to play another minute let alone hours of grinding. Then I slid my Joy Cons in the grip and played that way for a bit. Took me a bit to get use to what all the buttons do in that control configuration, but after a few matches, Arms is a much better game with a standard controller. I am still not sold on this game, and wont be picking it up at launch, but if the TNE crew seems to be playing together a lot, I will probably cave and buy in. If I can manage to make time for another session I would really like to give it one more try. I was only able to play for a half hour, and twenty minutes of that was motion controls.

On a side note the game looks really nice. The visuals are very clean and detailed. For a game with this art style, it would be right at home alongside similar games on PS4/X1. Its a very good looking game.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  41. sjmartin79

For me, the first time, it took 20 minutes with regular controls before I felt comfortable, and another 10-15 before I felt like I was really getting it.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  42. mattavelle1

Totally this.

My first time was with motion and at that point I wasent gonna buy it.

@Juegos posted the "ARMS guide for pro controller". Once I play it like this I was hooked. After quite a few goes with it I feel like I'm learning and getting somewhere.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  43. FriedShoes

I'm happy that Twintelle is pretty amazing. Gonna be flipping between her and Helix for sure.
  44. simplyTravis

simplyTravis "A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

I guess I'm the only one on TNE that plans on doing motion controls for this game? I enjoy the heck out of them. It had a crazy learning curve though. My biggest issue was learning to punch "right" which is definitely not how you should ever punch in real life. Also, I gave up on using the wrist straps for this game and can hit the targeting button much easier than before. And you really don't need the straps because your hand pretty much consumes the whole thing unlike a wiimote.
  45. FriedShoes

I want to give motion controls a fair shake in the full game. I just got really comfortable with sticks and after the first day I didn't really want to spend time experimenting and ironing out those controls. The TV I was using to capture video for myself was at a really awkward angle for motion as well, couldnt continue that.

Some of the quirks I was trying to work out with Twintelle might have worked out easier with motion. I still haven't quite got a handle on her yet, she's just fun to move around, a lot of flair and character. There's a lot of things I could do better, and I have an idea of what kinda arms setups I'll be carrying around for ranked and such.
    After a good run of rounds in the game, I did come up embarrassingly short in some matches this weekend. I need a sparring partner to work out some of these scenarios I just couldnt figure out
    Here's a rare showing of humility from yours truly:

Only eked out the last win due to the green juice.

My run of the modes after the Testpunches: 1v1>VS Hedlok>Hoops>Skillshot>VBall>1v1v1v1>2v2>1v1v1
    2v2 will probably be a lot better with friends, as would all of the modes especially VS Hedlok.
    I encountered lag twice the entire 2 weekends while I was playing (over 5ghz Wifi), feels really weird.

Overall a really fun time, I'm antsy for some more right now. Gonna be maining Helix and Twintelle for sure.
    I do think the Testpunch probably did more harm than good for Nintendo, like any demo. But I'm glad they did it.
    • Like Like x 1
  46. theMightyME

I dunno, i think it did wonders... For Japan... I saw japanese names everywhere... And a recent famitsu most wanted last had it pretty high... Of course after huge franchises like dragon Quest
    • Like Like x 1
  47. Juegos

I'll play ARMS with motion controls whenever I want to burn a few calories, but I'll stick with regular controls when I'm playing for rank.

Don't worry fam, I'll wreck you as much as you want when the full game comes out.
    • Like Like x 1
  48. Juegos

Alright who's ready for this game at midnight? And should we try to set up a lobby tomorrow Friday?
  49. mattavelle1

I'm gonna buy it Friday but I will be home very late.
  50. FriedShoes

Doubleposting. I'm not getting it midnight, I want a physical copy which I have preorderd at Best Buy. Definite day one especially after seeing the ending to the tournament at yesterday's Nintendo stream.

so fucking good.
    Started off slow with some very low-skilled attempts at playing the game (partially manufactured by not letting the FGC play the game beforehand).
    But then you have Zerk, who obviously played the game beforehand, knowing exactly what Twintelle's strengths were and snubbing tired amateur tactics. The other semi-finalist, Sky, also showed some interesting growth, learning the game as he went through his set of matches.
    Grand Finals were very good as well, where you can see some counterpicking and answers back and forth. Real smart stuff.

But holy shit the post-tournament Exhibition Match against the producer Yabuki. A clear powergap from the knowledgable champ in Zerk to the producer-god Yabuki. That was very interesting to see, definitely cemented to me that there was an ample amount of skill to rise to.
    • Like Like x 2
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  51. FriedShoes

Doubleposting. I'm not getting it midnight, I want a physical copy which I have preorderd at Best Buy. Definite day one especially after seeing the ending to the tournament at yesterday's Nintendo stream.

so fucking good.
    Started off slow with some very low-skilled attempts at playing the game (partially manufactured by not letting the FGC play the game beforehand).
    But then you have Zerk, who obviously played the game beforehand, knowing exactly what Twintelle's strengths were and snubbing tired amateur tactics. The other semi-finalist, Sky, also showed some interesting growth, learning the game as he went through his set of matches.
    Grand Finals were very good as well, where you can see some counterpicking and answers back and forth. Real smart stuff.

But holy shit the post-tournament Exhibition Match against the producer Yabuki. A clear powergap from the knowledgable champ in Zerk to the producer-god Yabuki. That was very interesting to see, definitely cemented to me that there was an ample amount of skill to rise to.