ミ:コ> Official Splatoon 2 Thread - Booyah!くコ:彡

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by simplyTravis, Jan 20, 2017.

1. theMightyME

theMightyME Editor in Chief of TVEnthusiast

Why not just get rid of the limit entirely... Random selection from every available stage
    • Like Like x 2
  2. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 ARMS is like breathing.......but more important Staff Member Moderator

I just wrote that in my post above the other one. I would vastly prefer an MK8D type voting system for splat2oon.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Goodtwin

Goodtwin Well-Known Member

Team Sweater win the Splatfest. I was team socks. I grinded it out to get to Socks King, but Splatfest has lost some it's luster for myself. I still love Splatoon, but playing it with randoms just isn't great. It has kind of moved to a game I only really enjoy when playing with the crew.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  4. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

Same for me, but only for Turf War. I still love playing ranked modes on my own.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Goodtwin

I like Salmon Run even with randoms, so yea, Turf War is still run when playing with the group, but after a couple hundred hours of it, it does lose some of its appeal.

6. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 ARMS is like breathing.......but more important Staff Member Moderator

Which is why you need to ask for and have someone buy you ARMS for Christmas. :mkiss:
  7. Goodtwin

Nah, I have plenty to play. XC:2 now, Zelda BoTW Champions DLC after that, Steamworld Heist after Christmas, Moons to collect in Odyssey, plenty of Indie games I am interested in, and either LA Noir or Skyrim will be games for January. I think this is part Turf War losing some luster, so many other games I want to play.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mattavelle1

Feel that
  9. mattavelle1

Well boys if there gonna be Christmas noobs this would be the time. I’m probably gonna get online tonight see what’s up.
    • Like Like x 2
    • LOL LOL x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  10. mattavelle1

****DISCLAIMER ABOUT SPLA2OON CHRISTMAS NOOBS****

TREAT LIKE FERAL SQUID!!! Least we forget the unruley tactics of the CoD Christmas noobs!!!

YOU MAY SEE THE FOLLOWINGS:

Squid making love
    Squid painting walls that can’t be painted
    Squid jumping off the edge but somehow living and killing you
    Squid dropping like flys during a wreaking
    Squid standing still
    Squid using the sniper at an astronomical rate (they will learn it’s the worse weapon soon enough)
    Squid with names like Tiny Tim, and Jack Rabbit

****IF YOU SOMEHOW DIE TO A CHRISTMAS NOOB****

Everyone say it with me. “That was luck there just noobs who don’t know what there doing”.

HAPPY HUNTING :msrs:
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  11. simplyTravis

simplyTravis "A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

@dAndErA @FriedShoes @Juegos @EvilTw1n @Goodtwin @Snickedy @SquidLord @mattavelle1 @sjmartin79 @TheAmazingLSB

Seeing as we are getting some new folks into the Discord chat we might need to "train up" these squidkids into squidmen. I'm going to start making suggestions to hop by this thread for tips and tricks so I would appreciate y'all dropping some knowledge!

What are your favorite tips for new players? What are some strategies you use for your favorite weapon type? Do you have any tricks up your sleeve for specific stages?
    • Like Like x 2
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  12. simplyTravis

General Tips
    • Don't forget to ink the base if everyone else is rushing.
    • Try to avoid attacking groups of enemies if you are alone.
    • Saying "ouch" helps your teammates know where an enemy may be.
    • If you are being pinned down try finding an alternate route to sneak off and begin painting the teammates base rather than flanking (you would be surprised how many games I've won like this.)
      Find a style of weapon you enjoy and keep playing with it while upgrading equipment
    • You can come up with all sorts of builds and styles of play. (My style is somewhere between ink cover focus and bezerker. I like playing with weapons that can take out groups quickly but generally I have a hard time with duelies, squelchers, and buckets.)
    • Even the best sniper really kinda sucks in this game
    • If you see someone glowing like a Super Saiyan they have a special. Beware.
    • I tend to find my specials build faster while cover uninked ground rather than the teammates ink. Not sure why.
    Weapon Types
    • Brushes are the ultimate berzerker weapon. It's up close and does an amazing amount of damage. I pair the Octobrush/tracking bomb with ninja squid to force a lot of pressure on people. I can generally use the tracking bomb to help me find someone hiding or take them out with it. My style has been called "Bodysnatching" because I can take people out within a second or two and I like to sneak around where people won't see me. The smaller brush (inkbrush) is much faster at moving around but not as good at pouncing. Generally it works well for team rushes in ranked mode and getting out of sticky situations quickly.
    • Rollers are quite nerfed in this game versus the last one. You gain momentum with the roller as you move so make sure to get some speed buffs unless you have the carbon roller. This is a strong beginners weapon but you need to get good with jumping/moving out of long range fire. @mattavelle1 uses the "Bos Ross" method which I'll let him explain. I use the Roller with the beakons and act as a support/ink coverage type roll. Everynow and then I'll go rollzerker and get really aggressive but it's not quite as easy as the old game.
    • Brellas are very interesting new weapons. I've currently been using the Undercover Brella paired with mines and splashdown. I'm able to really push people away because I get a few free shots until my shield will break. If they chase me I generally have placed down a mine or two for shock value (and to hunt them down when needed.) I tend to use a lot of marking with the mines if I know my team has long range weapons. You can also get good coverage if you walk sideways and shoot at a 45 degree angle. I don't care for speed buffs on this because it leaves gaps in the ink while I'm strafing.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Juegos

Here's my advice: every second you spend painting the base is a second you didn't spend painting the center. Now this isn't just about rushing the front line to get kills - when you have a painted center, your team is free to squid as much as they want, which means that your team is able to back out of big firefights, chase enemies, flank and get behind cover quickly, and stay reloaded. Meanwhile, what is all that ink on the base achieving? It could have been painted on a run back from spawn after getting killed.

That's my hot take on base-painting.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  14. Juegos

• Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  15. FriedShoes

FriedShoes MLG Staff Member Moderator

Very much on Juego's boat when it comes to base painting. Its a noob trap. Not saying dont paint the base, get yourself some points while moving out, but taking the center (and in my book taking kills while there), is much more important than spending time painting every bit of the base. Cause eventually you'll die and be back there or you'll superjump back there (another important tactic to learn) and have another chance to paint up some spots your squad missed.

Reason its a noob trap is because sticking around leaves you open to the blitzkrieg and you will very likely end up stuck at your base, never able to get past the enemy squad. This is something you'll see often if you're playing with new players on long maps, particularly Port Mackerel.

On this same topic, try not to paint right behind your teammate in the initial rush. You're not doing yourself any favors in terms of charging up a special or your team any favors in terms of coverage. If you must follow you buddy, make sure you're painting new terrain.

Fundamental skill to learn is looking at the map and superjumping. Sometimes you'll get a nerd who slips past and starts heading toward your base and inks it up and no one notices because no one looks at the map. Keep an eye on it often. Superjumping, I would say just get used to superjumping to your base. If you can do it quick, it can save you when you're cornered and about to be splatted. Superjumping to your friends, eh, I wouldnt really bother unless you're winning hard. Too often you'll just die otherwise. I also see people superjumping to people that only walked a few feet away from their base. Its much faster to just squid over there instead of jumping, and this pisses me off to no end.
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  16. Juegos

Here's my other hot take: any second you spend painting over empty space is a second you could have been painting over enemy ink. You win Turf War by coverage, right? So if you ink 1% of the empty part of the map, you're giving your team an extra 1% at the end. But if you paint that same 1% over the enemy ink, you're not only giving your team that 1%, you're taking 1% from your enemies, for a 2% difference. In the last 10 second rush where everyone is just trying to paint, focusing on painting as much over enemy ink as possible is crucial.

But here's the kicker, and it relates to my point about painting the center: inked ground is not just good for points, but it also gives its team a great tactical advantage in terms of mobility and ammo. Which means that, when you paint over the enemy team's ink, you are also taking away that advantage from them.

What's better, painting 20% of your base, or painting over the 20% of the center that the enemy previously had?
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  17. EvilTw1n

EvilTw1n Necessary Evil Staff Member Moderator

I put ink down wherever the fuck I want to put it down.
    #strategy
    • Like Like x 2
    • LOL LOL x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  18. EvilTw1n

Alright, so seriously, the only "beginner's advice" I'd have is:

-Decide on a role. Matt plays as someone who gets behind your line and causes absolute havoc by inking territory. Joog plays as a stone-cold killer who can control a zone. Do you want to put down ink, or stop others from putting down ink? The gray area of "some of both" in between is where most players live. Decide which pole you're more aligned with.

-Only squid-jump judiciously. If you die, respawn, then squid-jump to a spot where you're outnumbered and die, you've wasted a ton of time. Especially if you do this at the end of a match.

-You can dominate an entire match and lose it in the last 30 seconds. If you aren't a stone-cold assassin, you are probably better going into prevent defense, acting as an anchor.

-Being an anchor and springing allies is huge. If you only put up a 300, but spring your team out of getting stuck at base, you've done more than someone who puts up a grand. But again, the squid-jump is perilous. If you signal for allies to jump to you, you better have a damn secure spot.

-Use your damn secondaries. If you have a sprinkler and don't use it, you're wasting a key tactical advantage.

-Just frickin' play. Your style will come to you.

=======

On base painting, I'm not married to anything. I used to paint the base first, but now I generally get to the center quickly and skirmish, then base paint on the respawn. Some maps, like Moray Towers, absolutely require inking more than the center. If we want a more scientific answer, we should queue up a private match and have two teams trying different base tactics. But if we do, no cheating from team center. You can't rely on people like me doing the dirty work of base painting on respawn - you paint one route out, and that's it. If the other team inks your base, squid-jump to the center, or paint another route out, but nothing more.

I'm not ideological on the base. Whatever works is what we should do. But there is a counter for pretty much any strategy.
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  19. mattavelle1

1. Never be afraid to walk outta a gun battle. It’s ok, sometimes your just out ranged, find another route around.

2. Do not get stuck in a pattern of taking the same path over and over only to get splatted every time. There are many other ways to get around don’t be afraid to explore them.

3. Get outta the base at the very least try and fight for the middle. And pushing into there base past 3/4 of the way of the map you can bet there in your base because you pushed to greedily and 2 deep.

4. Compared to Splatoon1, Spala2oon is a brutal old fashion western fist fight. You will need to develope atleast enough offensive to live yo fight another day.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  20. simplyTravis

I see a lot of y'all don't care much about painting the base but the base points are usually not going to be covered during the game time. They are like free, easy to keep points unless you are getting absolutely hammered in a 3 on 4 (or Matt/Snickedy sneaks past your line.) I've had countless matches win by a less than 2 percentage points that I attribute to cleaning up all the aggressive players mess they leave behind (or the lack of one.)

Speaking of a lack of mess, don't just randomly spray out the gate unless you are covering a zone with ink. I can't stand seeing multiple pockets of uninked area because it's going to waste my time and special building because I'm mostly covering over your mess. Use a path or do the random spraying closer to the center area. You will get backup much sooner .

Also, I don't stay in the base the whole game. That is what I think everyone assumes with base painters. You are there about 30 seconds to a minute then help out with the frontline. I'll often find someone either broke through that is trying to flank or will come in as backup once they've used their specials up.

Finally, the best thing about painting the base involves giving all the wannabe-Rambos out there some ground to move in once they die in the middle and have to roll back. This may be particularly helpful for ninja squid carrying brethren as they don't have to travel in a straight line or waste time inking the ground on the way to the fight.

Now, this isn't the only strategy around and it's obviously not popular. But there is a reason why it's good to have a person or two hanging back to paint the base for a few seconds. I would say that you should judge what your team is doing. If they are too aggressive then hang back for a sec. If there is someone obviously covering the base then run ahead and let them do their thing.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  21. EvilTw1n

I do ink the base now, but not before some opening aggression to set the skirmish line. I still think the base matters; controlling the center is fine, but all of the blank territory behind you is territory you have to make up for in enemy territory (the amount you leave uncovered is the the amount you have to push into hostile area just to break even; then you have to hold them off and push more to win). That absolutely works if you pin the other team because they all tried to ink the base at first - I've been part of more than a few matches where the other team has like 7% of the map at the end. But I like insurance (I'm also just not good enough to hold the center as a killer), and that's why I typically try to put down enough coverage around the spawn...but not total coverage. Inking corners only matters if you have 15 or so seconds to go and find yourself in a mostly-inked area.

One tactic I abso-frickin-lutely would encourage noobs to learn is to ink your own path from the spawn. It makes base covering nearly an afterthought. Like on Port Mackerel, there are four obvious routes - two high, two low. Ink those, and the base is pretty much good. But if you cut someone off inking any of those routes, you've one, pissed them off and been a bad teammate, and two, wasted time and left an avenue open that won't be covered if the person you cut off doesn't double back to clean up your mistake.

...this is all way too much strategy. It's a game about kids using water guns and turning into cephalopods, FFS.
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018 at 3:54 AM
  22. mattavelle1

It’s amazing to see the depth of knowledge and strategy we have all deeply ingrained ourselves with in splatoons mechanics.

Things we have calculated and seen work out time and time again in our own gameplay.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  23. theMightyME

theMightyME Editor in Chief of TVEnthusiast

I always try to advance as far as I can, and as quickly as I can into enemey territory, and hopefully last long enough to let somebody else use me as a warp point after respawning... then on my second go I fill in a few areas here and there, UNLESS the enemy has pushed too far into our territory, then I keep repeating the original strategy

gaining a foothold into enemy territory is incredibly important... as is creating consistant ink lines that your teammates can travel in...

like, for example, when playing salmon run, the first thing I do is create as many ink pathways as possible.. and connect various other pathways created by other players so that everyone has some quick getaway routes when thing heat up

haven't played rank in 2 yet, but there are other strategies for those games as well, each one has its own... ink zones for instance is when I used to go stealth and drop mines while hiding out and ambushing enemies as they entered my zone. with rainmaker I just try and move as quickly as possible, rarely if ever actually using the gun... it is all about swimming fast... so as such, I create routes like in salmon run, but with much more narrow focus, not everywhere, just 1 strong route. with the tower mode i usually run around the tower, or run ahead of it and clear a path if possible, leaving others to actually ride it for the most part... but I will ride it if nobody else is doing so.. when that happens I wait for somebody tow arp to me and then I dash ahead and work on clearing a path

overall I try and take lesser known/used paths which is why I was so annoyed when I aw that they ruined morray towers.. which to me was all about climbing walls to advance quicker... they over simplified it in the latest update and now the paths I always took that were mostly clear are f'n crowded, it is like the drew a dotted line on the map and said "this is how you are supposed to play it" and now everybody knows.. it just makes the map feel flatter
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Juegos

Listen man, Cephalopods have as much right to git gud as you humans do.

There's far more strategy to the game than we even grasp, to be honest. Some of these tournament are too fast for me to follow along.

They can also actually kill with snipers, which I'm sure opens a whole new avenue of strategy that none of us have experienced. :mlaugh:
  25. Snickedy

Snickedy Member

My 2 Cents:
    -Play to your weapon. Every weapon plays differently, and you can be good with any weapon. The key is to play to your weapon's strengths. If you are using an aerospray and try to get aggressive you will be toast. If you use a charger and try to cover a ton of turf, you will be frustrated. It's possible to get a bunch of kills with an aerospray, or ink over 1000 with a charger, but you're putting yourself at a disadvantage. I like to Bob Ross it like Matt, and so the gold aerospray is my favorite weapon, because nothing puts out ink like it does. Even in ranked I can have success with the aerospray because I know my role, and try to play it as best I can. Laying down ink in ranked can be vital because it restricts enemy movement. I love the custom splattershot jr in ranked. I load up on ink saver sub and sub power up and lob auto bombs from afar. This can be really helpful to unseat a pesky charger or splattling from their perch.
    -Ink your base. This is a must, but doesn't mean to spend the whole match in your own base. This is most crucial in the first 1-2 minutes because like Travis said, this is turf that will likely remain untouched. It doesn't need to be perfect, but when you respawn you can get a little each time. One easy way to do this is if you see a blank spot, just toss a bomb on it before swimming back to the middle. By the time you get back to the middle your ink will be refilled. This also comes back to playing to your weapon. If you're a charger, you have very little responsibility to ink your base, besides at the very start. The exception would be if you have a bomb and can cover a spot on your way back.
    -Super jump very carefully. I very rarely super jump. More often than not, it gets you splatted. If you do jump, you better make sure your teammate is in a safe spot. I usually use a lot of swim speed up, which helps get me back to the action quickly. Another reason I don't super jump is because I can better survey the action as I'm approaching it, and adjust accordingly.
    -When inking with a gun: ink, swim, jump, repeat. Many noobs will just run while they're shooting, but it's faster to spray some ink in front of you, then swim to the edge of your ink, jump out and ink some more, then repeat. Jumping while inking spreads your ink further to the sides and covers more turf. If you watch your reticle when you jump it actually gets wider, showing you that your ink spread is wider.
    -Match your gear to your weapon. Some abilities are great for certain weapons, but useless for others. Run speed up on an nzap will make you reall speedy, but doesn't help at all for rollers and brushes. Run speed up will not increase your movement while using a roller or brush. Also weapons that naturally have a slower run speed like the jet squelcher, don't benefit much from run speed. If you have maxed out run speed on a jet squelcher, you still won't be as fast a normal nzap. Some weapons like splattershot pro use a lot of ink, so ink saver main is a must, but an aerospray already has inkredible (lol) ink consumption so ink saver main would be a waste. Also, gear abilities have diminishing returns, so you usually don't need more than 2-3 main or 6-9 sub abilities of the same (although if you have a certain plan of attack, you could do more, like with autobombs as mentioned above).
    -Nothing is certain. With a game as crazy as Splatoon, even the best laid plans can fail. The only time I've inked more than 2000 points in a game, my team lost. Don't get discouraged. Just keep adapting your game.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 3
  26. mattavelle1

Ive had this on my mind and didn't even realize it till I had processed all this info..........and I've been snowed in for 7 days so I find myself at my old laptop again:msrs:

Im gonna weigh in on the topic of inking not inking the base, and how my own personal Strat works into that topic aswell. We all spilling our little bits of splatoon knowledge :mfancy:

Ill first talk about how I feel about the topic personally for my own strat with the roller. Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't and here is why. When I play a small map like InkBlot I feel it very unnecessary to stick around and paint the base, and the same strat for me swell on all small maps. I had rather start building a road to the middle for my team. It takes no time to get to the middle and that is gonna be the hard fought ground in turf wars that is gonna win or lose you a map depending on your pushes and counter-pushes. The room around the base is free easy points, but on a small map someone is gonna pick them up from being killed in the middle. I believe establishing a line on small maps. The biggest advantage to myself would be a team who felt the need to paint the base and stayed in there at the beginning. On a small map I can pin you up to 3/4 if you buy into the paint the base because you will stay around and not establish ground on the middle.

For the larger to mid level maps. I personally like staying back and painting the base. I wanna get my special before I head into the DooM that is middle ground on the PumpBack HumpTrack. I always try and paint a good portion of the base for 2 reasons. 1 get my special because when dying its a looooooooooooooooong way back to the middle. 2 give my team a clear road usually the long way around. Normally setting a beacon at the end of the route. Tho to be noted AS SOON as I get my special filled up I just from painting the base and head to disrupting. Why? 2 reasons, 1 my best skill and asset to the team is disrupting getting inside and causing havoc. This is why its a dangerous proposition to squid jump to me, and to always trust my beacons instead. 2 on a mid to big level map if ima spend the time to paint the base once and get a special, then you better believe Im doing the same strat twice. Ill paint my opposite side of easy points and build up my special again.

So in a strange way I do come about that I believe the middle is the ground that should be where the game is won and lost in turf war so a rush to the middle is key. But based on levels and own personal play styles which we all have clearly defined for themselves I can't say that its wrong or right either way, as long as your play style is effective and you are working hard for your team. Weither you be the guy who pushes or the guy who paints the base of his special there all needed to help win and there own play style is what really sinuses thru on the win and lose. Is your play style effective? Do you feel like not running to the middle hurts your team? Do you feel like those who run to the middle hurt there team? These are all questions we have to ask ourselves and make changes to our play styles according to what we find to be the most efficient.

Saying this the only way I know how but if Im playing with Jueg specifically. My natural way to play when I have a killer like him on my team is to paint the base and take my time to find the most efficient route that will cause the most disruption to anything the enemy thought they had going. That is 100% my natural strat when playing with a known head buster. But when I have people who I don't know on my team I like to hang back but paint a straight outside route to the middle all the while building up my special, cause I don't know when Ima have to save one of these poor cephalopods. I know that is the best play style for me when playing on mid/big size maps and when playing with randoms.

like? don't like? Hey don't be afraid to SMASH one of those emojis on the BOTTOM RIGHT CORNOR!!!:msilly:

PS. Im sure Im missing some things but if i did Ill just post later. Im sorry if I got to deep :mfancy:
    • Like Like x 1