All The Things You Aren't Supposed to Talk About : Politics, Religion, & Money! && Grammar!!

Discussion in 'Community Hang-Out' started by simplyTravis, Mar 5, 2016.

1. theMightyME

theMightyME Editor in Chief of TVEnthusiast

thank you... and instilling that comes from education, not litigation... education that adults need too

as I know a fair number of 30 somethings that binge drink
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

3. Shoulder

Shoulder Beardy McShoulder chippin' In...

Since we are talking about being adults, should we while we're at it, lower the age for when people can rent cars, when insurance premiums go down, when you can run for president, etc?

I mean, if serving in the military is the most adult thing any one person can do in life, then it's only fair, right? But then again, why do we say that 18 is when we are adults? Why not make it 19, or 21, or 16 for that matter? Age is just an arbitrary number we have artificially set. Hell, while we're at it, maybe we should just require anyone who has turned 18 to serve for two years (like it is in some countries already), regardless if it's peace time, or war time.

I suppose in an ideal world, the drinking age could be lowered like it already is in other countries, but the whole culture of drinking in general-and again, this is coming from someone who was born and raised, and still lives in the drunkest state in the entire country, needs to change. I think Koenig is right, the mentality of alcohol, and drinking must change.

When you have someone who is on their 4th, 5th, or 9th DUI, things need to change.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

Yeah, although it's a choice to serve in the forces and in many places it doesn't mean going to a war, I also agree that it makes sense when you say that a person is adult enough to fight but not to have a beer.

You also can drive, but not have a beer.

So I get the concept of if you're an adult you're responsible for yourself so you can do whatever a legal adult can do.

On the other hand, some age restrictions come from social issues and other specific stuff. For example, a marginalised kid could find some meaning join the military at 17. It doesn't mean that 17 year old should be sent to war, they can study there, they can do other things there. Driving at 16 is also not an issue. Drinking is a problem in many communities, specially in cold countries like Canada, Ireland and others and if you have a child who gets into drinking, when you have a law and a society who tries to prevent underage drinking, a parent can at least legally say no to them. Marijuana is also a problem for the brain, it's well known and I think that we should prevent kids to have access to it at a younger age. I'd like to have a way to at least legally say that my kid shouldn't be smoking pot before 21 at least, but anyway, I know that people can drink at 10, can smoke at 10, can kill themselves at 10 and listen to Jusbin Bieber at 10, but still law means something, if not, we should just legalise everything for as young as 10, and that has to include join the military of course :D

Anyway, many people drink in a responsible way, but usually the youngsters are the ones who don't. I mean, usually, and it's common sense. I see problems with drinking all the time. 2 weeks ago three children died in a car crash after they had access to drink in a bar, it was really sad here. Those sort of thing happens all the time to children, more than to adults in my opinion, maybe we have more problems with drugs among adults because usually we have more adults in numbers than underage people, but the young usually don't handle drugs very well.

So yeah, makes sense saying that a 18 year old guy in a force uniform unable to have a beer is silly, but there are different problems for different situations and because of that we have many age restrictions for many things.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I think that replacing the "Drinking age" with a "Drinking License" (with all that that implies) would be a far wiser move in the long run. No one likes the idea of licenses of course, so I suspect that this would be immensely unpopular. However I feel it would go a long ways towards instilling a more responsible drinking culture, and more importantly actually getting booz out of the hands of people who lack the self control to actually drink them responsibly (And into the hands of those that do).
  6. Shoulder

What would be the parameters for acquiring a drinking license in order to buy, and consume alcohol?
  7. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

The idea of a drinking license is effective, yes, but I see a problem with for example losing your license. I mean, imagine if an adult gets his licence revoked because he harmed someone when he was drunk. I mean, not only the gov will create parameters for getting a license, but they will create parameters to revoke it, right? So, many people for many reasons will have their "drinking right" revoked and this might create a new illegal trade business and that would be terrible.

But, a drinking license for minors could be useful, in a way that, a 18 year old who served the military could use their licence to have a beer until he's 21 and then no need for a license anymore.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Shoulder

Well, and see this is why I said there could be a compromise in that if you do serve, then you are allowed to drink (again, you are allowed to drink at 19 on base, so there is precedence here), but if you're someone who is simply a civilian, then you must wait. And again, I don't think you should be given the privilege of being allowed to drink simply because you signed a piece of paper of joining the military. It sort of reminds me of when people say that life begins at conception. Some events must take place before it can be generally accepted, and I think in the military, the same applies.

But, it should be made clear that this is assuming you even join the military right out of high school, and not everyone does. Some are in their twenties before they enlist, and by that point, they already can drink, so the point becomes moot. It only applies to those who are already under the federal legal drinking age.

Now, you could simply lower the drinking age to better reflect other countries across the world where it is 18 or 19. In fact, a majority of countries across the world have legal drinking ages at 18 or 19. Perhaps this is where we as a society should go, but again, the culture of drinking must change first. I don't think lowering the drinking age is going to suddenly save enforcement costs (it might lower in underage drinking tickets), but I also don't think it'll suddenly cause less DUI's, or car accidents caused by drinking either.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

That is a good question, one that I simply do not know enough to answer properly.
  10. theMightyME

theMightyME Editor in Chief of TVEnthusiast

hahahaha a bmi to income ratio...

the poorer and bigger you are the more likely to get a license... it all works out.

j/k

we just need to drop it to 18 guys, join the rest of the world... like with California and legal MJ, give it a year to go into effect, get rid of the stupid federal punishments, and start an educational campaign, that embraces drinking while addressing responsibility