Best of the Wii U

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by theMightyME, Mar 17, 2017.

1. theMightyME

theMightyME Editor in Chief of TVEnthusiast

Now that Zelda has been out for a while it is time for us as a community to rate the best games on the wii u.

Here is how it will work....

pick, and order, your top 10 games on the system

games can include eshop only titles, but not VC games.... remakes like wwhd are okay too... also, since botw is basically the same game from system to system you can add that in, even if you played it on switch... only adjust your ranking for something like portability being a factor

rank them like this

in descending order... from 10 to 1... please keep it in this order as it makes calculating everything easier...

I will attribute points based on the position you give... with the points going in reverse order from the number... so a game in 2nd place gets 9 points, while a game in 9th place gets 2 points... the one exception is 1st place which will get 11 points, a 1 point bonus for being a top pic...

you can implement ties, but not to slip in extra games... ties will split points.... so... for example... if you place a 1st place tie between human resource machine and call of duty:no dlc edition, your next pick will not be 2nd place but 3rd... and the ties games will get the points of both titles, divided by 2... so 1st place is 11, 2nd is 9, that is 20 points, divided by 2, each game will get 10 points... as such, a similar result will happen with a 3 way tie... with all 3 ranks points added and divided by 3 (not rounded)

If you cannot come up with 10 games I will rank what you do come up with on the high end of the scale... so if you can only pick 3 games, your top pick will still get 11, second will get 9, 3rd will get 8

the deadline to post your ranking is next friday at 11:59 pst

so basically the second it turns to next saturday in my time zone, the chance to rank is over...

from the list of games I will add up the points and give overall rankings

I did something similar on the IGN boards for the wii...

I will rank them in groups going backwards until I reach the top 10, which I will present as an article, with pictures and such ... but just all on this forum

so... get to ranking...
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 5
  2. theMightyME

10. Pikmin 3
    09. Super Smash Bros for Wii U
    08. Mario Maker
    07. Captain Toad
    06. Super Mario 3D World
    05. Xenoblade Chronicles X
    04. Bayonetta 2
    03. Splatoon
    02. Mario Kart 8
    01. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Like Like x 2
  3. sjmartin79

sjmartin79 White Phoenix of the Crown

Love this!
    I will say it was very hard narrowing down the top 10. I could have done a Top 15 no problem.

10. Mario Kart 8
    9. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
    8. The Legend of Zelda - Wind Waker HD
    7. Bayonetta 2
    6. Xenoblade Chronicles X
    5. Super Mario Maker
    4. The Wonderful 101
    3. Pikmin 3
    2. Splatoon
    1. The Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild
    - I played it on the Switch, but even if I had played it on Wii U, I still believe I would rank it #1

(I know the next won't count... but...)
    Honorable Mentions: The Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess HD, Super Mario 3D World, SteamWorld Dig, Donkey Kong Country - Tropical Freeze, Shovel Knight
    • Like Like x 1
  4. CitizenOfVerona

CitizenOfVerona Spectacular Staff Member

I don't know if I can actually rank 10, but Pikmin 3 is #1
  5. theMightyME

rank as many as you can... even if it is just pikmin 3, thta will count towards the grand total

back on ign with the wii several people only picked like 5 or 6 games... but the total list was like 70 games when everything was counted
    • Like Like x 1
  6. theMightyME

• Like Like x 2
  7. Goodtwin

Goodtwin Well-Known Member

10.) Rayman Legends
    9.) Mass Effect 3
    8.) Mario 3D World
    7.) Mario Kart 8
    6.) Need For Speed Most Wanted
    5.) Xenoblade Chronicles X
    4.) Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
    3.) Splatoon
    2.) Pikmin 3
    1.) Bayonetta 1&2

This actually wasn't easy, because I know I am leaving some games I really liked off the list, and many games rank could easily change depending on what day it is. Some games are tough for me to rank as well. Online multi player games that we spent tons of hours playing together seem like they should rank higher, but at the same time I know for a fact I wouldn't have played Splatoon or Monster Hunter 3 by myself nearly as often. Bayonetta and Pikmin were easy for me, I was totally enamored with both games. I will be honest, I didn't end up with to many duds on Wii U. I really did enjoy most of my library, and with eshop titles, I have 30+ Wii U games.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. EvilTw1n

EvilTw1n Necessary Evil Staff Member Moderator

My list is going to feel pretty incomplete. I still need to play TMS#FE. Need to actually dig into XCX. Never gave Deus Ex: Human Revolution or Child of Light or Star Fox or Pokken Tournament or Zombi U or Fatal Frame or Yoshi's Wooly World or Mario Maker or NSMBU/NSLU or Color Splash or NES Remix (man...you don't realize what your back log looks like until you type it out) enough consideration and/or time.

Honorable Mentions: Trine 2, Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Drive Edition, COD: Ghosts.

EDITED
    10. Hyrule Warriors
    09. Lego City Undercover
    08. Super Mario 3D World
    07. The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker HD
    06. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
    05. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
    04. Bayonetta 2 (and 1)
    03. Splatoon
    02. Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate

01. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

[Windwaker nearly overtook Twilight Princess, mainly because I hadn't spent more than an hour with WW before the HD version. It was/is really something special. But...TP feels wins out.]
    You actually got me to click on an IGN link. :eek:
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  9. CitizenOfVerona

CitizenOfVerona Spectacular Staff Member

Fuck it I'm two beer down (which is a lot for me, i'm not feeling sober) so let's slap it together

10) Bayonetta 1+2
    9) Kirby & The Rainbow Curse
    8) Yoshi's Woolly World
    7) Wonderful 101
    6) Xenoblade X
    5) Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
    4) Splinter Cell Blacklist
    3) Zelda BotW
    2) Shovel Knight
    1) Pikmin 3

I don't know, this is what I meant by I can't rank 10. I'm so indecisive I honestly don't know how to rank them. By the time I hit post reply my mind will be changed, and it'll change again by the time I wake up. Basically just picked the 10 games I had the most fun with and look back on the most fondly.

Want to give a shout out though to Runner 2, Child of Light and Ittle Dew. If you haven't played these games yet, do it.
  10. Aki

Aki Well-Known Member

From what I've played on Wii U

1. Wind Waker HD
    2. Super Smash Bros
    3. Mario Kart
    4. Mass Effect 3
    5. Super Mario 3D
    6. NFS Most Wanted
    7. Resident Evil Revelations
    8. Donkey Kong
    9. New Super Mario Bros
    10. Pikmin 3
  11. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

• 5. Hyrule Warriors
    • 4. Watch_Dogs
    • 3. Mario Kart 8
    • 2. Xenoblade Chronicles X
    • 1. Splatoon
  12. theMightyME

extending the time on this becasue we didn't get many vote.. also opening the oportunity for people to edit their posts...

and remember... even if you didn't play the game on the wii u, but did play the game.. that is fine, so long as what ranks it higher for you isn't a feature unavailable on the wii u... so most of us playing zelda are doing so on the switch... but that doesn't mean you can't count the wii u version on your list... same could go to multiplats.. so if asscreed 4 would rank, but you only played it on ps3.. that is fine

@Majorbuddah
    @Juegos
    @Socar
    @simplyTravis
    @FriedShoes
    @Koenig

also, @ people if you notice they haven't voted, and might have missed the thread (just don't double @ them)

I want this list to represent the forum

new vote deadline is april 7th, at 11:59pm PST
  13. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 Fly to the treasure chest and back Staff Member Moderator

10. BLOPS2
    9. MK8
    8. TPHD
    7. WWHD
    6. Capt. Toad
    5. Smash
    4. W101
    3. Bayo collection
    2. Splatoon
    1. MH3U

My God what a fantastic console and super solid library. I would hate to know the hours I spent on this list.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. EvilTw1n

I'm gonna have to edit in TMS#FE. But I don't know where. I think it has to go at least at 7 (maybe higher, depending on how much more I dig into it in the next couple of days). That means bumping off either NFS, 3D World, Lego City, or Hyrule Warriors. Tough call.

Also, get in here @Karkashan (you've certainly played more games than I have, and will have a comprehensive list).
    Seriously, I'm thinking of taking NFS off of my list, it didn't even make your top 10, and I'm pretty sure between us we put in 160+ hours into that game (I know I hit the century mark).

Speaking of speed, you get in here, too @Shoulder (who took all of my speed walls).

If you think of buying 10 games at launch price, the Wii U had at least $600 worth of great content (and probably another $600 of very good content). I know some people feel kinda cheated on the Wii U, but I literally don't have the time or money to play all that I want to on it.
    • Like Like x 4
  15. Goodtwin

Considering the average attach ratio for consoles is south of 10 games its pretty hard to put the Wii U based on content. Even with Call of Duty, its not like the Wii U versions were garbage, they were very competent, and after a few patches the IR controls were great. This of course isn't where Wii U shined, it was the exclusives. Games like Bayonetta 2 (and 1) aren't just good, they are phenomenal. Even though I was disappointed that Retro's big games was another DKC game, it ended up ranking as the possibly the best 2D platformer in a long ass time. Rayman Legends was an underappreciated gem thanks to its move to multi platform status, but it was a great platformer with gorgeous art. Seriously, Rayman Legends will stand the test of time and always look great. Even little quirky games like Captain Toad are loaded with so much charm. I have north of 2000 hours on my Wii U. It may have been a commercial flop, but critically it was a great console based on the content.
    • Like Like x 3
  16. EvilTw1n

Not ashamed to admit I bought a Wii U on day one for FPS pointer controls. It was good while it lasted, and I don't regret it. I probably put 400 hours total into BO2 and Ghosts, and they didn't even crack my top 10. Another 200 hours for MH3U, another 100 for NFS, 100 combined hours at least for the HD versions of TP and HD...and 100 hours and counting for Breath of the Wild. Damn...that adds up quickly.
    • Like Like x 3
  17. simplyTravis

simplyTravis "A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

I might get some flack for this list but I am going by which games kept my attention, had strong aesthetic value, felt like they couldn't be replicated on another platform, and were actually fun for me.

10. ZombiU (can't be replicated, scary as hell..awesome multiplayer...would have been way better if finished)
    9. Super Mario 3D World
    8. Super Mario Maker
    7. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
    6. Guacamelee (I loved the art and play style in this game. Barely beat out MH3U.)
    5. Smash Bros (Great game but felt like MK8 was more of a new approach.)
    4. Mario Kart 8
    3. Splatoon (Rollzerker y'all.)
    2. Zelda: Breath of the Wild (controversial yes..but I only played this on the Switch and since both games are sooooo close in my book I moved it to 2nd place due to the graphical fidelity change and lack of Wii U centric features)
    1. Xenoblade Chronicles X (This game changed the way I looked at the player/world scale relationship in a game. Without XCX there would be no Zelda: BOTW...sorry.)

Honorable Mentions include - Affordable Space Adventures, Jotun: Valhalla Edition, and Bayonetta.

And waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay at the bottom....The Letter... That game can go burn in a fire for all I care. :msick:

I'm kind of bummed looking at this list of games. The Wii U could have been so much more.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Karkashan

Karkashan Well-Known Member

10. Mario Kart 8
    09. Super Smash Bros. 4
    08. Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
    07. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
    06. Shovel Knight
    05. Hyrule Warriors
    04. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
    03. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
    02. Xenoblade Chronicles X
    01. Bayonetta 2

(this list only takes into account games I both own and have played on the system)
  19. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

I'm really trying to add more games to my list, but I can't. Wii U wasn't my cup of tea.

It's my VC machine, though. I've got to admit how VC in Wii U ended up well in my opinion. Lots of wonderful games there. I've got much more playtime on VC than Wii U games.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. BobSilencieux

BobSilencieux Well-Known Member

So, 24 hours? Ok, I guess I could delay firing up Zelda after work tonight... long enough to get a list together and catch up with TNE.
  21. theMightyME

remember guys, even if you didn't play the game on the wii u, if it is on the wii u, and doesn't have a huge negative difference, you can add it to your list...

as I have added breath of the wild to mine, despite playing it on the switch

same could be done for assassin's creed 4, or costume quest 2, or ANY game that was on multiple platforms

the only games I wont count are VC, in which the original platform is literally emulated

if you don't like the idea that you played breath of the wild on switch, and therefor it isn't a wii u game for you.. remember that when the points are added up breath of the wild WILL be in the running, but will apear lower for losing your points... so keep that in mind... think of this as if you were going to recommend 10 games to a new wii u owner who doesn't have a ps3, a 360, a ps4, an xbone, a switch, or a gaming pc...

you want to pick the best 10 games on the system, not the best 10 you associate with the system from your own experiences

so if you haven't played botw at all, or if you didn't like it, then leave it off the list... but if you are elaving it off because you consider it a switch game, you will only serve to see the game get a lower cumulative score, and therefor appearing as lesser than games you might not think it is lesser than

the list will look pretty silly if the consensus of the board is that botw is one of the greatest games of all time, and then it comes in 10th place under Dr. Luigi

the same issue came up with twilight princess on the wii list I did on IGN, only backwards, with many considering it a GC game and not giving their points to it because of that... thankfully in that case there was a much larger pool of voters than we have here, so it mostly evened out into a pretty natural place

with this vote each person's choices make a bigger impact, but that also means that a principal vote could skew the whole list and make our consensus appear different than it is.

so please, vote for what you like, and what you think deserves the points, as your logic about what qualifies and doesn't is lost on a group list like this.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  22. EvilTw1n

Edited in TMS. And yeah...way higher than I thought I would. But I bumped it above the LoZ remasters because you can play those elsewhere (3D World isn't higher because although brilliant, I will pretty much always take adventuring over platforming).

Sorry NFS. A tremendous game. But this is a tough list to make.
    Was gonna mention this.

For real, BotW needs to be at or near the top of this list. It started life as a Wii U game.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  23. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

C'mon, it's a Wii U game! Switch just got Zelda because of the Switch beggars. :cool:
    • LOL LOL x 1
  24. BobSilencieux

10. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
    9. Need for Speed Most Wanted
    7=. Paper Mario Color splash
    7=. Yoshi's Woolly World
    6. Child of Light
    3=. Axiom Verge
    3=. The Wonderful 101
    3=. Splatoon
    2. Deus Ex Human Revolution
    1. Xenoblade Chronicles X

Honourable mentions:

Mario Kart 8
    Hyrule Warriors
    Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
    ZombiU

Honestly, it's a stupidly difficult task trying to get down to just a top 10, and then even harder trying to separate your top 10. I would probably have liked to have just 5 tied for first place and 5 tied for second place, but this list is my final list.

Even though I'll probably want to change it in 2 hours time...
    • Like Like x 1
  25. theMightyME

26. Girafarig

Girafarig Staff Member TV Enthusiast

10. NES Remix
    9. Nintendoland
    8. Mario Maker
    7. Mario Kart 8
    6. Super Smash Bros Wii U
    5. Pikmin 3
    4. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
    3. Bayonetta 2
    2. Super Mario 3D World
    1. Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild

http://www.tventhusiast.com
    • Like Like x 1
  27. simplyTravis

simplyTravis "A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

Oh dang! I forgot Deus Ex...hmm...I wonder if I need to change mine...
  28. theMightyME

finished tallying up the totals... 37 games total, 7 different ties, including 1 in the very bottom of the top 10 that makes it a top 11...

trying to figure out how to reveal everything.. might do the top 10 in a podcast... depending on if I can get people in on it.
    • Like Like x 4
  29. Majorbuddah

Majorbuddah My real name is Dolemite

I can say with zero sarcasm that Ass Creed Black Flag is one of the most solid and entertaining adventure games of all time.

From a personal perspective.

That said, it's hard to add it to my top 5. After playing SO many games, it's hard to justify a 5-way tie for first place in my top 5.
  30. theMightyME

totals are already done.... posting the results with the new podcast where we go over the top 10 (i'll post the rest as well)
    • Like Like x 1
  31. theMightyME

ok... so here is the countdown

35. Rayman Legends (1)
    35. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (1)
    35. ZombiU (1)
    35. NES Remix (1)
    31. Nintendoland (2)
    31. New Super Mario Bros U (2)
    31. Kirby & The Rainbow Curse (2)
    31. Lego City Undercover (2)

30. Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (3)
    29. Paper Mario: Color Splash (3.5)
    28. Resident Evil: Revelations (4)
    26. Guacamelee (5)
    26. Child of Light (5)
    25. Yoshi's Woolly World (6.5)
    22. Splinter Cell: Blacklist (7)
    22. Axiom Verge (7)
    22. Watch_Dogs (7)
    21. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (8)

19. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (9)
    19. Mass Effect 3 (9)
    18. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (11)
    17. Need For Speed: Most Wanted (12)
    15. Hyrule Warriors (13)
    15. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (13)
    14. Shovel Knight (14)
    13. Super Mario Maker (15)
    12. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (22)

For the top 10... well Top 11, as there was a tie at 10th place... check out the podcast Alex, Will, and I did

we also have some switch talk in there.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  32. Karkashan

For those who ain't got time to listen to a podcast. (Although it was a pretty good discussion)

11 and 10 - Wonderful 101 and Tropical Freeze
    9 Super Mario 3D World
    8 Smash Bros, Ya'll
    7 Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
    6 Pikmin 3
    5 Mario Kart 8
    4 Bayonetta 2
    3 Breath of the Wild
    2 Xenoblade Chronicles X
    1 Splatoon

praisegrima
    • Like Like x 4
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  33. EvilTw1n

[​IMG]

I mean, I get it, folks. You think of it as a Switch game.

It still launched on Wii U. It is still a part of the Wii U software catalog. That's why I just don't get why people left it off of their top 10 entirely. That'd be like making a list of the 10 games you'd recommend for Wii U to someone who just bought the console off of eBay and leaving Zelda off.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  34. Karkashan

The reason I left it off is that I know there are performance differences between the two versions, and therefore since I haven't experienced the game as it is on the Wii U, I can't accurately judge where I'd put it on my own top ten list.

grimabepraised
    • Like Like x 1
  35. Karkashan

Okay, now that I've thought about it for a couple more minutes, holding my list like this to such a high standard is kinda ridiculous.

praisegrima
  36. sjmartin79

sjmartin79 White Phoenix of the Crown

Agreed, and @theMightyME tried to tell everyone the exact same thing when they were voting.
    I didn't play it on Wii U, but even if it was 75% as good on the Wii U as it is on the Switch, it is still the best game on the Wii U. (Which is why I put it in my #1 spot)
  37. Goodtwin

Good podcast by the way. Might want to keep them a little shorter though, not sure how many people are willing to listen for over two hours. Regardless, it was some good opinions being shared. I especially enjoyed Jueg talking about DKC TF. I was exactly the same, salty as hell that Retro was tasked with a 2D platformer. Really held back my enjoyment of the game at the time. I can appreciate how good the game is, but at the time anything other than Metroid Prime level material was a let down.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 2
  38. BobSilencieux

• I didn't play Zelda on the Wii U.
    • At the time of posting my list, I hadn't played enough of Zelda to make a judgement on it.
    • I know that there are differences between the Switch version and the Wii U version, but as I haven't played the Wii U version, and I don't know exactly what the differences are, I couldn't possibly make a judgement on that version in particular.
    • It IS a Switch game, gahdammit.:p
    • Like Like x 1
  39. Goodtwin

I was in the same boat. ET makes a good argument, but I can't in good conscious remove Bayonetta from the top spot for a game I never played on Wii U. To me, Bayonetta 1 & 2 is the best Wii U game.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk