Capcom maybe for real up to be bought.......again

Discussion in 'Gaming News' started by mattavelle1, Oct 24, 2017.

1. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 Fly to the treasure chest and back Staff Member Moderator

So I ran up on this article. Now I’m personally not saying that I believe there up to be bought again. But we do know from maybe last year or the year before they could have been possibly lookin for someone to buy them.

Well in this article I found supposedly the Wall Street Journal is writing an article about how Capcom may for real be up to be bought out because of there terrible financial situation.

Now the article is super short. And really I’m not trusting this no more than a rumor UNTIL that said Wall Street journal article comes out.

But here you go http://www.ticgn.com/news/47249/
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

Depending on who buys them out, I might be happy with this. If they remain a multi-platform developer I would be happy with most large publishers buying them out, but if any of the console manufacturers try to monopolise their IP I would feel a bit bitter.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. simplyTravis

simplyTravis "A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

I think Nintendo or Namco would be a great owner of their IP. I could see both really bringing back the old school titles in a new way that would both pay homage to it and improve gameplay.

I don't want to see Ubisoft get it. I don't know why but something doesn't sit well with giving that company IP from Capcom. They did a great job with Mario vs Rabbids but I believe a lot of that comes from Nintendo making sure the game was quality.

Now, if Microsoft were smart they would jump all over it but we know they would essentially run off everyone that made the company worth owning and murder the IP.
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I would be lying if I said I did not want Nintendo to buy them (Most of Capcom's best IP's are tied to Nintendo old systems after all), but given how frugal Nintendo is I doubt they ever would.

If Microsoft bought them out and let Capcom remain a multiplatform dev, I might be down for that. But if they intend to monopolize their IP I get the sinking feeling that it will be Rare all over again, but worse.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. FriedShoes

FriedShoes MLG Staff Member Moderator

I hope EA buys them just so they get used up and tossed out
    • LOL LOL x 3
  6. CitizenOfVerona

CitizenOfVerona Spectacular Staff Member

As long as it isn't EA, Activision, Warner Bros or Ubisoft.

If it was a console publisher, it'll be interesting if Nintendo or Sony did it. Sony helped out with Street Fighter 5 and Monster Hunter World while Nintendo had Monster Hunter 3 and 4.

I'd argue they use to one of the best developer back in the day. Fun arcade-y games that are still great today. Now it seems like they mostly focus on multiplayer games with season passes and DLC. Only pure single player game I can think of that they released lately was Dead Rising 4. They always had Street Fighter/Darkstalker/MvC and Monster Hunter goes back to the PS2, but no more Mega Man, Ghost n Goblins, or Strider. Okami and Okamiden were great but sold poorly.

Also seems like most of their PS4/Xbone games are just re-releases. RE4-6, Dead Rising 1 & 2, Dragon's Dogma, etc.

They aren't what they use to be, and other than Phoenix Wright, I don't care for most of what they put out these days. I'm not that upset, Shinji Mikami made The Evil Within and Platinum Games exist.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. FriedShoes

that said, I dont buy the rumor. Would be nice because fuck Capcom

ok gotta get this out there because I came up with this conspiracy while on 4chan of all places: Capcom has actively tried to sabotage the Switch.
    Recall them forcing Nintendo to raise the RAM so they could run the RE7 engine on it. Yet no RE7. Recall testing the Switch audience with a 20 years old SF game. And it outperformed. Recall dismissing Switch with various Megaman and Classic collections, almost all of which appeared on Nintendo consoles. Recall now a second test with RE Revelations 1 and 2. Why are they doing this?
    Monster Hunter. Its always been the silent money maker of the company. A lot of their productions are funded by the money MH makes, its facts. They're taking a big gamble with World, since it looks like a AAA production now, so dumping it where those types of games sell and is easily ported to (getting it to Switch would take work and more money) makes sense. As such, they need to belittle the Switch as much as possible to make themselves and their games look as strong as possible in comparison. Unfortuneately the Switch is a massive success and now they just look like foolish assholes. Street Figher V is a sales failure (although profit is probably good because DLC), MVC:I is a failure, what are they riding on if MH fails?

Tencent would buy Capcom and all its IPs, no question about it. But I dont believe the rumor.

yeah Nintendo aint buying shit. They had an opportunity to buy Atlus but Sega took it instead, smh.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. theMightyME

theMightyME Editor in Chief of TVEnthusiast

Nintendo is the only publisher I could think of that could focus them, and turn them around to their previous greatness...

Capcom's issues seem to be at the top of the company

And the failures come from trying to replicate the successes of the west

I think any other publisher would focus on improving the areas capcom should have never been exploring, while nintendo would focus them on their actual strengths... I think under nintendo, capcom would rediscover their iconic past.... Under anyone else they would double down on their generic present
    • Like Like x 4
  9. simplyTravis

simplyTravis "A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

I could see it happening though. Tencent is a force to be reckoned with right now.
  10. SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar Hero of the Wastes

Nintendo is best suited to take Capcom and turn them into a great studio again. They have become mired in poor business decisions and bad PR with gamers.

I say this not only because I would love for Nintendo to buy them, but because it makes the most sense.

Nintendo has an intimate understanding of many of Capcom's great IP's, and they all fit perfectly onto Nintendo's hardware.

Make it happen, Big N!
    • Like Like x 4
  11. mattavelle1

IF they are up for sale then yes I do share the same sentiment that I would love for Nintendo to buy them. There are a slew of games at Capcom that fill a ton of gaps.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. CitizenOfVerona

CitizenOfVerona Spectacular Staff Member

If you're saying Capcom is sabotaging the Switch, then you should at least include most 3rd parties. This is no different than the Wii/U days of very late 3rd party ports with missing features. Call of Duty 4 got released when MW2 was coming out, U got Mass Effect 3 while the other systems had the trilogy bundle. Ubisoft just released Rayman Legends Definitive edition that is not actually the definitive way of playing.

Meanwhile, Capcom is doing what Capcom does, re-release old games all the time. How many times have RE4 been ported to a new system? And it's not just them ignoring Nintendo for classics, Square Enix is remaking Secret of Mana for PS4, PC and Vita - no Nintendo systems. I guess you could argue Nintendo sabotaged the Wii U by releasing Breath of the Wild on Switch after years of saying "this year guys, no really this year".

And a few other companies requested the Switch to have more RAM as well apparently.

I'm not necessarily sticking up for Capcom here as I said that the only stuff they've been releasing lately that I care about is Phoenix Wright, but if you're gonna say they're deliberately out to fuck over Nintendo, maybe include the majority of big 3rd parties. That said, I don't buy it, they're a business. If they wanted to sabotage the Switch, I think they would just release nothing rather than old games. They make dumb decisions sure, just like every other company but they're not evil.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. secrethomo33

secrethomo33 New Member

Nintendo needs to get their own business stable and growing again before taking on more risks honestly.
  14. mattavelle1

Every risk has been taken just by releasing the switch and changing up the style of there games BotW and SMO. If they bought Capcom they also would buy there teams that make those games. There more stable that anyone out there it seems right now to take on an undertaking like this.
  15. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

True, but buying Capcom also means buying their debt. As much as I would like to see them get Capcom under their wings (And honestly, Capcom would be better for it) I don't see Nintendo doing it; they may be known for taking risks, but when it comes to financial decisions you would be hard pressed to find a bigger penny pincher than Nintendo.
  16. mattavelle1

They are penny pinchers for sure, and this whole thread has been about pure speculation on weather or not Capcom would even be up for sale, because we still don’t know.

We do know that Nintendo I think was just evaluated and is worth (don’t quote me) around 37 billion dollars. Capcom IF SOLD would be sold for way less than that. For the sake of argument I think Nintendo could buy them outright and not have to worry about the debt.
  17. Shoulder

Shoulder Beardy McShoulder chippin' In...

18. FriedShoes

19. Shoulder

Shoulder Beardy McShoulder chippin' In...

Capcom was probably playing the EA game where, "Let's see if this bubble bursts, or if it can maintain pressure."