CoV Presents: Halloween Thread 3 Resurrection - The October Armageddon Reloaded Chronicles

Discussion in 'Community Hang-Out' started by CitizenOfVerona, Oct 1, 2017.

1. CitizenOfVerona

CitizenOfVerona Spectacular Staff Member

Well it's that time of year again. The best time of year, and if you disagree you're objectively wrong in every possible way. Leaves are changing, that autumn air, and people getting horrifically mutilated by Freddy, Jason, or a zombie grandfather who wants his birthday cake (seriously go watch Creepshow you nerd).

By this point you know the drill. Throughout the month I'll be making posts on what I watched, played or read, and I want you to do the same. I got a list of movies to watch, I picked up Salem's Lot so I look forward to reading that. I also purchased Costume Quest as a nice break from the horror aspect. That said I may try to fit in The Evil Within or a replay of Alien Isolation.

[​IMG]
    What are you plans for this glorious month? Any yearly rituals? For me, it's not October unless I watch Creepshow, a Nightmare on Elm Street movie and Beetlejuice.

Also want to give a shout out to @sjmartin79 for being one of the more active member in these threads of mine. Also happy belated birthday friend.

@Juegos and @mattavelle1 for convincing me to do this again. I know everyone's busy and with the hurricanes I'd imagine life is slow to get back to normal for those affected, but that doesn't mean we can't all come together and enjoy this time of year...and all the horrific mutilations these poor actors go through every year.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    RIP
    One last special shoutout to Winona Ryder for still being best babe after all these years

[​IMG]
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 6
  2. FriedShoes

FriedShoes MLG Staff Member Moderator

Was waiting for this to complain.
    I tried watching Wes Craven's New Nightmare and it was difficult. I know a lot of people complain about jumpscares and anticipation scares in modern horror. This was on the exact opposite spectrum. Very loud music throughout tense scenes, I dont think there was a moment of levity. I didnt think the meta aspects of the movie were realistic either. Never had any inkling growing up that Nancy was a big star or real known icon in the industry, so them treating her as such was difficult to get past. That aside, the plot I found to be pretty generic and the denouement of it all was lackluster.
    Effects were ok I guess. Imagerey in general was good, but overall just a bit of a snore.
    [​IMG]
    (I think this is from New Nightmare)

I actually stopped midway through the movie because I really wasn't feeling it and hopped over to Amazon Prime and saw it had Suspiria, something I never seen but have heard mentioned here and there. I quite enjoyed it. This also has some music but its at least appropriate and kinda fucking good.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. simplyTravis

simplyTravis "A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

[​IMG]
    Watch out for ol' Stingy Jack...
    • Like Like x 2
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  4. CitizenOfVerona

I'm kinda the opposite with New Nightmare, I liked it quite a bit. I have a soft spot for the series. Bit of a backstory, when I was a dumb ass kid I was scared very easily. What I'd do is if a horror movie was on, I'd jump back and forth between that and something else. Friday the 13th, Slappy from Goosebumps and Nightmare on Elm Street were three that I remember.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago I finally watched the whole series, and besides Freddy's Dead, I liked them, some much more than others.

To me, New Nightmare completes the "Wes Craven" trilogy of Nightmare movies. 1, 3 and NN are all his and focus on Nancy/the actor. I thought it did a good job honoring the series while doing a new spin on things. I will say I think the second half is better once things gets going. While I do like it, I'll admit it has problems and the first half can drag. There are some parts in the second half (especially the scene before Hell) that rank up there with my favorite moments in the series.

I do feel like I'm alone on this, because most times I hear people talking about NN they usually don't like it, and I can't blame them, I just disagree. But hey, what's new [nightmare]?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

I started last week by watching the original Halloween for the first time ever (judge me). I'm going to have to be honest, I didn't like it all that much. Mike Myers is cool as hell for sure, and there's a really great death scene, but otherwise I just wasn't thrilled with it.

[​IMG]

Oh, I guess I started a little before that by watching the new IT with my brother, then coming home to watch the old miniseries immediately after. My general impressions of these: everything about the new IT is really great, except for Pennywise who kind of sucks. Everything about the old miniseries is kind of bad, except for Pennywise who is amazing.

I really don't know what horror movie to watch next right now.

@FriedShoes Dario Argento's movies are kind of samey, but pretty enjoyable. I've only seen Deep Red, Phenomena, Suspiria, and Opera. I probably enjoyed Deep Red the most out of these.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. CitizenOfVerona

I'll recommend Creepshow to everyone.

But a good scary movie? It Follows managed to creep me out. Whenever a movie does the whole "you look out a window and see the villian in the distant" thing, it gets to me. It Follows is basically that the whole way through so I found it scary.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. FriedShoes

I havent looked much into the guys work. I'll probably watch those after I go through this thematic trilogy that began with Suspiria. Next up is Inferno and last The Mother of Tears (released by Dimension Edge in 2007 :mnerv:)

It Follows is real good stuff. Delightfully tense and fun, just a tiny bit flawed but I really liked it.
    I mean since It was brought up, It Follows is definitely a movie where a gangbang would have made sense.

I plan on watching Murder Party sometime this month with my brother. Probably on Halloween itself, right now we're going through Battlestar Galactica, very un-seasonal but I probably wouldnt have the motivation otherwise.

I've seen some shit on Netflix, out of convenience and because sometimes there is a diamond in the rough.
    No luck so far. In the past I've found some goodies. One that sticks out in my mind is Pelt. Starts off as a real standard slasher-inawoods-horror movie with horny college teens and shit. It slowly, or maybe abruptly, I dont remember, morphs into a meta-horror comedy of sorts. I gotta rewatch it to be sure, but I remember really liking it after that aspect was introduced but it was probably pretty junk overall despite that.
    Oh!
    Saw Stitches on Netflix, speaking of clowns, is actually good. Watched that after going through Clown, which was disappointing imo.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Juegos

I also saw It Follows, it was very good. Another recent one I would recommend is Get Out, it's solid.
  9. Juegos

I think I'll watch It Comes at Night, I remember it being praised for a couple of days before it was forgotten.

But I know what I'll rewatch: The Witch. That movie is great, I fully recommend it. (And now I just found out the director is doing a remake of Nosferatu, the absolute madman.)

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  10. CitizenOfVerona

Nosferatu still manages to creep me out a bit

[​IMG]

Haven't watched Get Out, I'll try and watch it this year.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. CitizenOfVerona

Started Salem's Lot, 60 pages in and I'm looking forward to reading more tomorrow. Only one spooking thing happened so far but it was effective. Good stuff.

Also, my friend just informed me he might be having a party in the middle of the month. Apparently there's a locally made short movie being filmed and they need a party setting for a scene and they might use my friend's. That's fucking cool if it all pans out.

Unfortunately I'm too ugly for film. Not "Hollywood-ugly", just "ugly-ugly".
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Shoulder

Shoulder Shouldy McShoulderface chippin' in

I'm going to need some photographs to verify your claim, because I find that hard to believe. You're a Space Cowboy, as well as a Gangster of Love. The Space Gangster Cowboy, to be precise. :mthumb:
  13. CitizenOfVerona

I'm still proud of my signature after all these years.

And you didn't see me? I guess not many have.
  14. sjmartin79

sjmartin79 White Phoenix of the Crown

Yay! So glad it’s October and time for Halloween! (And glad this thread has returned!)

I’m excited for “Happy Death Day” next week, as well as starting my usual horror movie marathon of October - watching a different scary movie (favorite genre) every few days leading up to Halloween weekend where we’ll binge a bunch.

Also, on October 21st, I’ll be performing a scene for the Halloween show of Black Diamond Burlesque here in Sarasota. Working on script and costumes now.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. sjmartin79

I hope everyone has seen this movie: Hush

It is tense, well done, and absolutely wonderful!
    • Like Like x 2
  16. CitizenOfVerona

I heard of this but never did see it. I don't know, something about looking out windows and seeing something out in the dark just gets me. Maybe I'll try to deal with it and watch it.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. sjmartin79

Tonight’s movie for October is one of my favorite Nicole Kidman movies, and even having seen it many times, I still love it. The writing, the acting, sets, and costumes all work together to make a movie that just excels.

• Like Like x 4
  18. CitizenOfVerona

My favorite horror movies with Nicole Kidman is Batman Forever.
    • LOL LOL x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Juegos

I inadvertently watched a Halloween movie the other day. I started rewatching Cowboy Bebop: Knocking on Heaven's Door (I had seen it about 13 years ago), and something I didn't remember about it was that the whole movie takes place leading up to a Halloween festival, where the movie climaxes. It was pretty good, worth watching but not mind-blowing or anything, just very fun.

Then I started rewatching a bunch of Satoshi Kon's movies. They're trippy, but not Halloween material - except for Perfect Blue, which I just finished. Goddamn, that movie's good. It's surreal like other Satoshi Kon movies, but on top of that it's a psychological thriller with some horror dashed throughout, up to a Dario Argento-style climax. Really freaking fantastic.

[​IMG]

I'll try to squeeze in The Witch tonight.
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  20. sjmartin79

Horror movie for tonight is one of my favorite cheesy but still wonderful ones - The House on Haunted Hill

The outstanding performances by Geoffrey Rush and Famke Janssen are reason enough to watch it. Their scenes together are golden.
    • Like Like x 3
  21. CitizenOfVerona

Today's my birthday. Today I turn into a 20 something year old.

What's on the schedule? Go to work, pick up a steak, pick up a slice of cheesecake from a bakery that's too good for this world. I think a few friends are coming over, if so we'll either watch Nightmare on Elm Street or Creepshow. If not, combo of Salem's Lot, Bettlejuice and something else, maybe a double bill with Brain Dead or Evil Dead.

Also think I'm gonna make a trip to EB Games.

Yup, today's gonna be like every other day.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 6
  22. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 Fresh starts now Staff Member Moderator

Happy spooky birthday CoV!!!:mlaugh::mfurry:
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  23. sjmartin79

• Like Like x 2
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  24. EvilTw1n

EvilTw1n Necessary Evil Staff Member Moderator

Happy birthversary, Cheshire.
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  25. Shoulder

Shoulder Shouldy McShoulderface chippin' in

• Like Like x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
  26. Juegos

[​IMG]
    Happy Birthday CoV!
    • Like Like x 2
    • LOL LOL x 1
  27. sjmartin79

Time for tonight's horror movie.
    "Don't Breathe" - This one is from last year, and I was on the edge of my seat with my heart racing. Well done, tense, well-acted. Definitely suggest it if you haven't seen it.

• Like Like x 2
  28. CitizenOfVerona

Tonight I went over to a friend's house and we put on The Devil's Candy. I enjoyed it.

Well, I think I did. Friends wouldn't shut up. Cracking jokes, picking out things that "don't work in real life". What pisses me off is when they ask something that the plot answered a few scenes ago. Also, if you're talking through a movie you lose all right to complain about plot points when the movie is over. Fuck.

Worth a watch I think, some scenes are pretty intense, sadly a few are a bit cheesy.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  29. FriedShoes

I didnt understand it and I saw it through without distraction. Ending was neat.
  30. Juegos

I hate this shit. I have a friend that doesn't like Nolan's movies. I told him he might actually like Interstellar since it's a sci-fi adventure movies and he tends to like that sort of stuff. But in his head he had already decided that Gravity was the true great space movie, and was convinced that Nolan couldn't make a good movie. Before it even started, he and his wife were already talking shit.At that time his kid was about 9 months old, too, so they had to take turns doing everything that needed to be done for the kid, without pausing the movie because they already didn't care. They missed a lot of cool moments.

All of that's fair. If they decided they weren't going to give it a fair shake right from the start, there's nothing to be done. But when the movie ended, they were both still like, "wow, that movie sucked. I told you I just don't like Nolan's movies." And then went off about how the movie failed at doing this and that. Really? How could you tell? You weren't even there half of the time.

My brother does a similar thing that drives me crazy. We'll be watching a show or a movie, and during heavy exposition times (characters just talking to one another or whatever), he'll be on his phone texting people and scrolling through Facebook. I'll be like, "bro, don't miss this bit". He usually says, "I am paying attention." Then he'll fall asleep halfway through the movie because he hasn't paid attention to the exposition and has no idea where the story's going.

I don't understand why movies don't command respect from these guys. Personally I can't miss a single scene when I watch a movie. I actually rewind through scenes that I just watched when something cool happens, or when I feel like I missed something important.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 3
  31. mattavelle1

You wanna know some scary scary stuff?

Drive thru Atlanta at 11:30 PM.....:mflirt:
    • LOL LOL x 1
  32. Juegos

I just rewatched the Witch. It's still great.

This is shameful to say, but I've never seen the Exorcist properly. I'll fix that soon.
    • Like Like x 1
  33. sjmartin79

Thank you @Juegos and @CitizenOfVerona - I couldn’t agree more. People that talk through a movie or don’t pay attention to it, then complain about it or ask questions about things that were clearly explained while they talked, get on my last nerve.

If I feel the need to comment on a movie or tv show, out of courtesy, I pause it. Full stop.

A few years ago, before Days of Future Past, I made the mistake of telling family that Steve and I were going to have an X-Men movie marathon. They invited themselves to join. Showed up 90 minutes late, so we started later than I wanted, and there were very few moments of quiet during the next 8 hours. By the end, I was angry and hadn’t gotten to enjoy my favorite mutants.

1) We didn’t get through them all
    2) everyone thought they were a comedian
    3) tons of questions that were answered while they were talking
    4) delays in between each movie
    5) full on conversations unrelated to movie
    6) people kept inviting other family who felt the need to use my movie marathon as a reunion instead of it being about movies

Needless to say, I have yet to have a family binge again. I keep those things to myself.
  34. sjmartin79

Tonight, as per our annual tradition, our core group of friends that I like to call the Elite 8, are headed to Busch Gardens for Howl-o-Scream 2017!

A full night of haunted houses, roller coasters, and people randomly jumping out and scaring you as you walk through the park. Can’t wait!!!
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 5
  35. CitizenOfVerona

Think I found my new personal nightmare fuel. This sounds awful.

This sounds much better. Makes me wish my city gave a shit about Halloween in the same capacity.
    • Like Like x 1
  36. mattavelle1

I don't give a damn what nobody says. Busch Gardens is IMO the very best rollercoaster park I've ever been to.
    • Like Like x 1
  37. CitizenOfVerona

Went over to another friend's house to watch Nightmare on Elm Street. Much better than last night's experience. The movie was over by 10 so we put on Nightmare 3. Good shit.

Those movies really make me want to crawl into bed and sleep. No sarcasm.
    • Like Like x 3
  38. repomech

repomech resident remnant robot relic

Hey all,

Glad to see this thread going strong - it's pulled me out of hiding. First up, happy belated b-day @CitizenOfVerona !

I love this season, especially October. The cool autumn nights, the harvest moons, nuit blanche, the fall leaves, pumpkin pies, (Canadian)Thanksgiving, Jack-O-Lanterns, and of course, the crown jewel: All Hallows Eve.

A few fixtures of Halloween:

Toronto is home to a famous old Gothic revival castle/mansion called Casa Loma. It was constructed just before World War 1, and has something of a romance/tragedy/bankruptcy story to it, that led to it eventually becoming public municipal property. It's an incredible piece of architecture with secret passages and winding underground tunnels that pop out onto portions of the property streets away, incredible interior design and decor etc. Here's an exterior picture of the main building:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Starting last year there is a production that runs at Casa Loma: "Legends of Horror", that for the month of October, transforms the courtyards, sections of the interior and underground tunnels into the most incredible live-acted haunted house I have ever seen. This is not your run-of-the-mill cheesy, pop-up "boo!" factory, with slasher themes on a low budget - this is high quality design in costumes, scenes and sets. It's just incredible. If you're a horror fan and are ever in Toronto around October, this is a must-do.

Three films or shorts that I am guaranteed to watch on or in the lead-up to Halloween:

1. The animated horror scene in Fantasia built around Mussorgsky's classic "Night on Bald Mountain":

2. Also from 1940's Disney, the animated Legend of Sleepy Hollow featuring Bing Crosby:

3. My favourite horror movie: The Changling (1980). Starring George C. Scott, it's a slower burn, lower key sort of horror. Something of a thematic mix between a haunting and a mystery. I've included a trailer in spoiler tags below, because I think it does show too much.

[​IMG]

I try to watch at least one new horror film, or a classic I haven't seen in years on Halloween itself, or in the immediate lead-up. Last year I revisited Herzog's Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979) [quick verdict: I still like it!], this year I again probably won't have time to do more than 1, but I'm considering a re-watch of Salem's Lot (1979) which I haven't seen since my teens, Rosemary's Baby (1968) which has been well over 10 years ago, or checking out something new - I've heard a lot of good things about The Babadook (2014), but I've slept on it because I also heard a lot of good things about The Conjuring (2013) the year before, and I thought that was cheesy and charmless - so I irrationally retreated to classics for a while (with the exception of 2015's The VVitch which I saw last year and quite enjoyed). I may also finally watch Poltergeist (1982), it has somehow slipped through the cracks of my horror film watching even after all these years.

Any recommendations among these or other films?
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  39. CitizenOfVerona

I enjoyed the Babadook, but it's one of the rare movies I think you should go in blind. Normally when people say "ooooo I can't tell you you have to know as little as possible" I normally roll my eyes, but I think in this case it fits, basically because if I say how scary it was, that kinda ruins it. It's hard to say without going into it, but I think it's worth a watch.

The original Poltergeist is also good, lot of nostalgia for me but I think the charm, effects and some scenes make it a good movie.

We also recommended some movies throughout the thread. It Follows was pretty good, gave me the spooks pretty hard.
    • Like Like x 2
  40. sjmartin79

Howl-O-Scream at Busch Gardens was fantastic!

1)Riding roller coasters in the dark is always a good time.
    2)They had 3 new houses, and 2 of them were very scary. The other one was aesthetically great, but was very empty with no good scares.
    3)The returning houses they kept had all been kicked up a notch.

Also, the weather was perfect, so it was a great night. They had a lot of stilt walkers going around the park, but this one was my favorite. Pic doesn't quite do her justice.
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 3
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  41. repomech

repomech resident remnant robot relic

Noted. That's going on the "to watch" list.
  42. CitizenOfVerona

Just finished reading Salem's Lot. Jesus what a depressing read.

Might pick up Carrie tomorrow.
  43. mattavelle1

Because that should be a great “pick me up” book:msilly:
    • LOL LOL x 2
  44. sjmartin79

I love Stephen King books. Has always been one of my favorite authors.

If you haven’t read it, read “Duma Key”. It’s set here in Sarasota where King spends his winters. (FYI, I met him at the Sarasota Christmas Tree lighting about 10 years ago).
  45. CitizenOfVerona

Keeping with vampires, I watched Hammer's Horror of Dracula. So classy.

I haven't read much of King. Only novels I read were The Shining and Salem's Lot. I read a few short stories in Everything's Eventual. After Salem's Lot though I'm excited to eventually read more.

I am confused about the Dark Tower/Multiverse thing going on though.
  46. FriedShoes

[​IMG]
    • LOL LOL x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  47. Juegos

Dammit man, I was pretty certain about watching Princess Mononoke tonight, but now it might have to be 2001 or Solaris.
    • Like Like x 1
  48. sjmartin79

The whole multiverse thing is confusing and touches multiple books in little ways. If you ever want more of his titles, I’d be happy to suggest more.
    • Like Like x 1
  49. sjmartin79

Time to return to our regularly scheduled movie marathon, already in progress.

Tonight’s fils is “Cabin in the Woods”. I know this film is very divisive, but I love it. It’s fun, and adds a quirky and original spin to the usual trope.

50. CitizenOfVerona

Keeping with the whole Hammer/Peter Cushing/Christopher Lee/Terence Fisher thing, I watched Curse of Franenstein last night/finished it on lunch break since I was tired. Good stuff, Peter Cushing was too good for this world.

I think I liked it more than the book. In the book I found the monster interesting and Dr. Franenstein boring, this movie is the opposite. Dr. F is such a shady fucker I love it, yet the monster is sort of there. Mind as well finish the Peter Cushing vs Christopher Lee movies with The Mummy (unless you want to count Dracula A.D. 1972 and Satanic Rights of Dracula which I think I'll pass on for now)

I picked up Carrie and was very tempted to pick up It. Slap a hard cover on that and you could beat a man senseless. I'm thinking of getting Pet Semetary as well.
    • Like Like x 1