****Face_Birdo**** Bona Fide Obscure Games Thread

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by mattavelle1, Jan 20, 2017.

1. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 Fresh starts now Staff Member Moderator

I think we all get a great idea of what this thread is all about now. It's these games for me that are feathered into the life of a console that make it so enjoyable for myself. Everything from Shovel Knights, to Zen Pinball, Mario Golf I get unimaginable replay ability from games like Puyo Puyo Tetris.

Over the years they have been my unsung heros, those who win my time from the background but I always come back. There normally insanely fun, addictive, and simple most of the time.......the true time eaters of our days, and I'm thankful for them all.

As more obscure type games come out during this console genertion, let us come here to celebrate there uniqueness and talk about why they have us so hooked.

This will be a catch all for these types of games because so many just come outta nowhere and they need a place. And we all have these one type of games we love every single generation. I'm hopin games such as Capt Toad, and for sure a true successor to Mario Golf Toadstool tour, and perhaps a new Super Monkey Ball game or something like it.

MAN IM SO PUMPED!!!! WHAT ABOUT YOU TNE!?!:mlaugh:
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 3
  2. DarkDepths

DarkDepths Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord

Good thread. I too look forward to a variety of obsucre games!

:mmischief:

... that said. Those that we know about so far haven't really captured my attention.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. simplyTravis

simplyTravis "A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

@mattavelle1 you are getting that Puyo Puyo Tetris, right? I'm picking it up for my wife *cough cough*. I might have to see if you are around for some online. This will be the game that decides whether or not I get a pro controller at launch.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  4. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

Super Hexagon and Insurgency are both this kind of game for me, on PC. I only started Insurgency this past year but I've already uninstalled and reinstalled it several times. It comes and goes from my computer.

Now Super Hexagon, that's a game that's remained installed for the most part of the last 4 years, because it's so easy to go back to it and play it in 5 minute bursts here and there. Sometimes I play it when I just want to get really deep in my own head, because it has that kind meditative aspect to it when you get really focused.

• Like Like x 2
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  5. mattavelle1

Oh I'll be online in Puyo Puyo you can bet that sweet sweet beard on that!
    • Like Like x 2
  6. FriedShoes

FriedShoes Girl Fetishist Staff Member Moderator

>ARMS
    >Obscure
    y'all about to be surprised come Spring.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Cubits

Cubits Well-Known Member

Snipperclips looks pretty great! The idea is neat, but the animation is what puts it over the top for me!

It's a little bit wario-ware, and a little bit sexual.
    • Like Like x 2
    • LOL LOL x 1
  8. FriedShoes

Lobbying for Disgaea 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Goodtwin

Goodtwin Well-Known Member

Steam World Heist! This was a game that when I saw a video, it was hard to imagine it being insanely fun, but it is. I have never played a game like it, and I have about 20 hours of play from it already. Image and Form has joined Shin'en as a Indy developer that I will keep a close eye on.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
    • Like Like x 3
  10. mattavelle1

Keep talkin good to me and maybe we will take a chance on it.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. sjmartin79

sjmartin79 White Phoenix of the Crown

I loved Steam World Dig so much! (Heist too) The Steam World series too me by surprise with how fun and addictive it was. I definitely want to see more from them.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. FriedShoes

Its recently been revealed that the game is being co-developed by a SFBGames, a mobile game developer comprised of a pair of brothers.
    https://twitter.com/SFBTom/status/822185010195271680
    very interesting choice of partners.
    I hope to see more Nintendo reaching out to smaller developers and just random ones to fill out a vast variety of niches.

Image and Form does have devkits and have been talking up Switch, but I dont think we've seen any games from them yet.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Goodtwin

Are we putting games like Bayonetta and No More Hero's in this thread?

• Like Like x 1
  14. CitizenOfVerona

CitizenOfVerona Spectacular Staff Member

Have you tried the Steam World tower defense on DSiWare? I love Heist a lot and enjoyed Dig quite a bit too, but I'm wondering if anyone played it.

A trip to Wikipedia says that there is an un-named Steamworld game coming to the Switch in 2017, so I'm wondering what's that about.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. CitizenOfVerona

https://www.destructoid.com/the-unl...led-for-wii-u-planned-for-switch-413609.phtml

One more Wii U game cancelled from former Rare developer and Conkey creator. I keep forgetting this game exists.

"Speaking to Nintendo Life, creator Chris Seaver explained that while the PC version is still the focus, followed by 3DS, the Wii U edition is done. If they get Switch dev kits (which they still don't have), they'll pursue that route as well. Seaver goes on to call the Wii U a "dead system," and hopes that the switch will reinvigorate Nintendo's home console market."

I wonder if a lot of indie devs don't have Switch dev kits yet either.
  16. sjmartin79

Yes, I did play that one. It was good. You can just see them evolving their skill with games as time went on.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. mattavelle1

I think for sure a game like NMH, that one popped into my mind when doin the OP. I think Bayo is tettering on the edge of this thread, or havin it's own.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. CitizenOfVerona

Anyone getting Super Bomberman R?

My experience with the series is mostly tied to the N64 adventure games, but I did dabble a bit on the NES. Seems like something I could have fun with with a good group. Is this confirmed to have online play?
    • Like Like x 2
  19. FriedShoes

yep.
    Didnt get a chance to play it 8-players, which I feel would be pretty damn fun.
    Not quite sure if its worth the $50, but they were making a big deal about the story mode. Gonna keep an eye on it, but its not something I plan on getting atm.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Goodtwin

Yes, it's likely to be a first month game for me. I loved Wario vs Bomberman on Gameboy. I know it's a little pricy, but I think the sparse launch lineup is allowing it. Street Fighter will be the same way, a bit over priced, but the lack of competition will allow for it.

21. simplyTravis

Since Puyo Puyo Tetris isn't coming out until May I'm going to go ahead and snag Bomberman R also. I'll let y'all know how it is that first week.
    • Like Like x 2
  22. Juegos

@simplyTravis @Goodtwin @FriedShoes @CitizenOfVerona
    Since that's four of you that are possibly getting Super Bomberman R, I might jump on it as well. The way I see it, multiplayer is 99% the reason to play Bomberman. Bomberman is basically trash if you don't have anyone to play it with, or amazing if you have people to play with regularly. I grew up playing Super Bomberman 2 every day with my brother and neighbor, and it was much more fun than Super Mario Kart for us. But I've never jumped back into it since then.
    • Like Like x 5
  23. FriedShoes

mhmm. I might not be there launch day, but I'll get there pretty quickly. As of games I'm getting immediately launch day, I have Zelda of course and Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+, which fits into this thread theme.

I've got Rebirth on Wii U, was fun until my sticks died. Shooter action game with lots of items and roguelike elements, real good stuff. This bundles in its two more recent expansions, just a whole lot of content and variety.
    I can't find any gameplay of this that isnt annoying Lets Play stuff so just take my word for it.
    • Like Like x 2
  24. simplyTravis

Pre-Order it on Amazon Prime and it costs 39.99.

[​IMG]
    Which is the price it should be anyway.
    • Like Like x 3
  25. mattavelle1

May isn't that bad, I can wait for Puyo Puyo till then.
  26. sjmartin79

I preordered The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ the other day. From the little I played of earlier versions, I'm excited.
  27. mattavelle1

Now what is this game like again?
  28. CitizenOfVerona

I played a bit of BoI on Steam but the Rebirth expansion. It was sorta fun, but the random nature of it threw me off.

Imagine playing through on the dungeons in the NES Zelda. Each one has keys, locked doors and chests, enemies to kill and a boss at the end. I really wanted to love it, but everything is random. Sometimes the game will give you 5 keys but nothing to open, or other times it might give you 10 bombs but nothing to explode, etc.

It's roguelike, so when you die you start all over again, but you keep some special costumes that give you stat boosts to make your next journey easier. You also find temporary pick ups that go away after death.

Like I said, I want to love the game so maybe one day I'll pick up the expansion on Steam and give it another go.
    • Like Like x 1
  29. Goodtwin

Don't plan on me being a day one with Bomberman, probably going to wait a few weeks. I plan on playing a ton of Zelda. After a few weeks I should be ready to split time with other games.

• Like Like x 2
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  30. mattavelle1

Exact same
  31. simplyTravis

Ooooh yeahhh boii!!!! Hollow Knight is coming to the Switch! I've been interested in this game for a while because of its hand drawn art style and old school combat.

Combat Trailer

World and Characters Trailer
    • Like Like x 4
  32. FriedShoes

I did the same right after I heard the first few thousand copies had something special in them. I'm a sucker.
    I think its very cool that these indie games are getting physical releases. I was pretty digital on Wii U but the Switch boxes are sleek and nice and carts are better than loading discs (another reason I went digital). I predict most of my Switch library is gonna be physical this time around.
    • Like Like x 3
  33. mattavelle1

Alright RPG bros. What's the word on this title Has Been Heros?

• Like Like x 1
  34. FriedShoes

the roguelike and collectible whore in me wants to give it a chance.
    Doesn't look entirely interesting though, I think for me it might have to do with the art. Gameplay-wise also, but I suspect I'll have to get my hands on the game in order to judge that. Frozenbyte is a developer I want to support, so I'll keep an eye on this one and an open mind.
    • Like Like x 1
  35. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

The most obsucure game I've ever played was Airport Hero Hawaii.

It's 3DS game, airport simulator. I've got almost 40h of gameplay. I feel like I'm the only person in the world who plays it.
    • Like Like x 2
  36. mattavelle1

Well according to this article PuyoPuyo comes out the same day as MK8D.

My poor poor wallet! I will be digitally downloading this one tho in April........pretty hyped!
  37. Goodtwin

How stupid is that though? Launching the same day as Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a great way canibalize sales. I know they are very different games, but to me it seems obvious that launch a couple weeks sooner may be very beneficial.

• Like Like x 2
  38. mattavelle1

Oh there is no doudt the guy who decided on the date is now fired.
    • Like Like x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
  39. FriedShoes

For shame.
    MK8D comes out on my birthday, which everyone should know by heart, April 28th
    PuyoPuyo drops on the 25th. So you've got a 3-day relief :p
    • Like Like x 3
  40. mattavelle1

I wonder if they ironed out the difficulty issues this game had. I wanna buy it but man the other one totally turned me off because I couldn't practice. I just got stomped, I know some had success this just wasent my experience.

Fixing the difficulty would go a long way with me.
    • Like Like x 1
  41. Juegos

I got a disagree on this post for some bizarre reason. I removed it now.
    • Like Like x 1
  42. Goodtwin

I actually like Fast Racing Neo quite a bit. I think i have nearly 25 hours playing it. To me the game is great at Subsonic, and less enjoyable as the speeds for higher. It started to feel more like a timing game than racing. Start your turn at just the right time. The AI so became retarded at higher speeds. I actually had an easier time getting Gold in some Super Sonic races than subsonic because the AI was crashing like crazy at the higher speeds. The game certainly had room for refinement, but was a good game on its own merit.

• Like Like x 1
  43. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

I had a pleasant surprise when I found out that another Airport Hero game has come out for 3DS: Airport Hero Narita.

I've played a few hours of the demo just to get max points. Now, I'm playing the game. I bet I'll have played 50 hours by the end of the year. :D
  44. mattavelle1

From what I'm reading at the WiiLobby on IGN looks like this one is set to drop on April 6th.

@simplyTravis
    • Like Like x 2
  45. simplyTravis

I'm still unsure about that game at the moment actually. It looks visually amazing. Just not sure if I'll hate it if it just boils down to a hyperchromatic bullet hell game.

I'm hoping it is a little like Turbografix 16's Fantasy Zone. If so..I'd be all over it.

I used to play this as a middle school kid when I worked at my parents driving range... I learned how to dodge golf balls and play this game.
    • Like Like x 2
  46. mattavelle1

Saw this at the WiiLobby and Gentlemen I'm about this and this is the exact kinda support I expected!!!

@EvilTw1n @Goodtwin i know y'all are into somewhat of basketball and probably loved NBA Jam. Personally I'm about this game and it looks good seeing Switch next to everyone else getting support.

Thoughts? Anyone y'all bout this?
    • Like Like x 2
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  47. simplyTravis

YES! I'm so down for something like this if the price/content ratio is good. I loved me some NBA Jam back in the day. In fact, I don't see why they couldn't just use that name. "Playgrounds" makes it seem too geared towards little kids for the art style. I mean, its geared towards a somewhat younger crowd but they don't want to acknowledge that in a name of a game unless they are 9 or under.

Also, this is exactly the kind of multiplatform game the Switch needs.
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  48. Juegos

I liked NBA Jam and NBA Hang Time back in the day, and even got a bunch of fun matches of NBA Street with my younger cousin. This game is looking pretty good, and a perfect fit for the Switch since it's 2v2. Like Travis said, I hope the price is good.
    • Like Like x 4
  49. Goodtwin

I was one of the few people who purchased NBA Jam on Wii, so yea, I am interested in this game. Visuals look very Street to me, and I like it. I thought Switch easnt going to get "any" third party games. LOL. It's starting to look like titles skipping Switch will be more so the exception rather than the rule.

• Like Like x 3
  50. Goodtwin

I downloaded Snake Pass today. Only have five minutes so far before I had to leave, but the game looks good. It has a soft look to its image quality, but overall I am impressed with its visuals. I will report back on it after I have some good time with the game.

• Like Like x 3