Monster Hunter World

Discussion in 'Multi-Platform' started by Odo, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

Monster Hunter World

The 6th generation of Monster Hunter is happening and it's in a glorious and stunning open world.

[​IMG]

I know I know that most people here may hate it, because Capcom decided to leave Nintendo to try to make a game in the current generation of consoles, but I'm not. In fact I used to dream about an open world Monster Hunter where I could chase a monster in a seamless open world.

Imagine chasing a monster from a huge cave to a sunny beach. MHW is exactly my dream coming true in this sense.

Monster Hunter is a game that in my opinion deserves a current generation technology treatment. The franchise has everything to conquer the world and there's no reason to keep the franchise as a handheld game anymore. That's just my opinion.

Although the game looks legit, it may end up being garbage, yes, but I think it makes sense to try to sell the game for the worldwide audience in a current home console. It's sad for Nintendo fans, I get it, but I'm totally into multi-console love this generation. The console wars about this topic in many forums out there has already started, it's sad. I'm seeing that FF7 "treason" feeling taking off.

I think the franchise has a lot of potential on PS4/XBO and I believe it might gross much more than the last generation did on 3DS thanks to western dollars. Business wise, it's a good bet. It can finally take off as a popular franchise worldwide.

I also believe that they will make the game a little more easier for beginners. I'm able to enjoy the game even though I'm a "forever noob", but I never had enough patience to master the game. Maybe that's the generation where gamers like me will find the experience even more enjoyable.

Anyway, share your thoughts your love or your disappointment here.
  2. FriedShoes

FriedShoes MLG Staff Member Moderator

#NotMyMonsterHunter
    • Like Like x 3
    • LOL LOL x 1
  3. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

I understand the feeling, because the current Fire Emblem franchise is not my Fire Emblem either. So I totally get how u guys are feeling.
  4. sjmartin79

sjmartin79 White Phoenix of the Crown

I've never played Monster Hunter before, but I was considering getting XX on Switch.
    Even though we own a PS4, we won't be buying this.
  5. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I am actually looking forward to the game, and I actually applaud the move to multi-platform. The only thing I don't understand is the lack of a Switch Version, especially given that the Nintendo fanbase have generally been the ones supporting the series for the last decade in the west.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 Fly to the treasure chest and back Staff Member Moderator

I'll be honest I would play it if it came to Switch. But since it's not I'm nitpicking the hell outta it and it does make a strong departures from what I consider MH.

So I'm with Fried #notmyMonsterhunter
    • Like Like x 1
  7. FriedShoes

Exactly, thats basically where I'm at with this.

Yes, I do feel a slight sting not only seeing no MHXX news but also from the (Sony-funded) snub of World. That said, everything I hear of the game gives me pause. The drop-in/out multiplayer that I feel would screw up monster balance. The changing up of some weapons, best seen case is the changing of bowguns to literal guns. Damage numbers. An umlimited feature that teleports you back to base, a base where you can change weapons midhunt. A weird glowing Hunter-vision light that navis you to gathering areas. Target framerate of 30fps, even though the game doesnt look nearly as impressive as many other efforts on PS4. No mission structure. No timer. No whetstones or sharpness meter.
    To a layperson yes, this sounds fine and probably more welcome. I've just grown to respect the game in a different light. It was more of a mastery over limitations and control; over self. Just a lot of fun in a way I dont quite see this being.
    Granted, I was also looking forward to XX which was doing a few things I didnt like but it was a side-game. This is the new mainline, and it'll be hard to come to grips with that.

Very anxious to see how it all forms, its still a ways off so maybe things morph into something good. I'm sure it will be fine. Not "me" fine, is all.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. FriedShoes

I will admit, I'd be more accepting of the game if it was on Switch, though, lol.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I honest don't have anything negative to say against MHW from what little we have seen (And we have seen very little). I am looking forward to seeing the series evolve, so long as the traditional aspects of the series are preserved on other games. My only gripe with it is the fact that it is not on the Switch despite it being a "Multiplatform release".

The "No plans to localize MHXX at this time" on the other hand, that is where all my salt is at. Cut me right now, and I will bleed soy-sauce.
  10. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

• Like Like x 1
  11. mattavelle1

Sounds very "western"
  12. FriedShoes

Monster Hunter at its core is a game that should appeal to the west, so its not hard to streamline it down to that point.
  13. mattavelle1

Not hard, but the more you strip away the less like hunting it is.
  14. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

It honestly sound like it is more "hunting" focused that any of the previous Monster Hunter games. Different for sure, but I won't count that against it. At least the "traditional" Monster Hunters are supposedly sticking to the Switch for those who prefer it;now if only Capcom would hurry up with MHXX release.
  15. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

I always wanted a Monster Hunter that made the monsters smarter in their environment and in their interactions with other monsters. Getting a new vertical mobility option beyond jumping and improving mounting are both good things, as well. It's pretty much what the original MH 4 trailer had promised.

But not at the cost of the main series' long, skilful battles in a variety of arenas. If there's anything the MHW trailer hasn't shown, it's that, so I think concern is warranted. We've said it before many times, playing Monster Hunting at a high level is like dancing. It's a game of skill, where every little bit of positioning, timing, and strategy matters. The more open they make the game, the more they open the enemy difficulty to multiplayer drop-in-and-out, and the more forgiving mechanics like grapple-hooking and mounting are, the less confidence I have in the game being worthy of hundreds of hours of co-op hunting. Epic chases and cinematic QTEs sure aren't going to carry the game that far.

The game will be a critical success, since journalists and casual gamers won't have to bash their heads against one brick wall after another (i.e., learn the game), but a commercial flop, because of the higher development costs for a game that is ultimately niche.
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  16. Juegos

It all depends on this. Is there's a "Monster Hunter Portable" beyond XX that Capcom does intend to release globally for Switch (and other platforms), then all is good. That's still assuming that the Monster Hunter team isn't being torn apart by dumb Capcom executives, because that will naturally make their games lower quality.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Shoulder

Shoulder Beardy McShoulder chippin' In...

And yet, people seem to praise a game like Dark Souls for its difficulty curve, and then when it appears to be anything else, people complain. Believe me, when MoHunWorld comes out, people who have never played a MoHun game will complain about its difficulty.

We're going to get the equivalent of this:

[​IMG]
    • LOL LOL x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

That's not necessarily a bad thing though :mfancy:
  19. Shoulder

Not at all. It's just confirmation of the dumbing down of gamers in general.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I would not necessarily call it dumbing down though. A lot of the things mentioned seem more along the lines of streamlining or refining existing elements, or replacing them with ones that are more conducive to the online experience. Having grown accustom to the series roots I can certainly understand the disdain for these changes, but in a vacuum for a direct comparison it seems to make them far more favorable; considering MHW is meant to target new players in the west, that is a good thing for most.
  21. Majorbuddah

Majorbuddah My real name is Dolemite

I think a lot of the quirks you guys are missing in MHW are just examples of clunky game design that you've learned to love. I totally welcome a smoothed out MH experience. Looking forward to it.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I wonder if:
    -A: Capcom intends on releasing an Ultimate version of MHW a few years down the line and if
    -B: The exclusivity deal would still effect it or if
    -C: Capcom will actually oblige an exclusivity deal to begin with
  23. EvilTw1n

EvilTw1n Necessary Evil Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]
    Eh, maybe. I trust that GajinHunter isn't a Capcom shill, and he really likes what he sees of World.

I'll keep as open a mind as I can on the game; evolution isn't a bad thing in game design, and staying static is a recipe for malaise and disinterest. If it's truly fantastic, I could see me finding a PC to play it.

But to double back, some of the quirks of MonHun weren't clunky, in my view. They were strategic. For example, having to plan the timing of when you could take a potion, flex, and get back in the action was not an arbitrary thing - it was there so you wouldn't spam health. The animation time for sheathing/unsheathing a weapon wasn't about clunky design, it was about planning your battle movements. I hope Capcom has rebalanced the game so health-spamming and warping to camp don't take away the challenge. But, then again, I personally never understood how people said MonHun was a hard game, anyways. Challenging, yes, but if I could play it, any ass-hat could.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  24. Majorbuddah

Majorbuddah My real name is Dolemite

from my experience, a lot of it was just poor animation that players learned to time around.

edit: i'm not trying to take away from it, it's a fun game. just a lot of the queues for timing your actions come from poor animations. smoothing those out into something that's still functional but more intentional would be great. i remember there being a TON of other confusing design elements as well that more effort could be put into clarifying for the player. this isn't "dumbing down", it's just making the game accessible.
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

Some extended gameplay:

The more I watch, the more excited I am for the game. I am very disappointed this is not coming to the Switch.
    • Like Like x 1
  26. EvilTw1n

I stand by stuff like health animations being there for a reason other than clunk, but on the bolded point...
    Yep, I really wish they'd shown this off at E3 instead of the trailer and a list of changes.

Because in motion, in a hunt, that still looks like Monster Hunter to me.

And it looks like a very fun Monster Hunter.
    • Like Like x 3
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  27. Juegos

I'm still really concerned that the ability to take potions while running means that higher difficulty monsters will compensate for it by being mindlessly aggressive stun lockers. The same thing happened to Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne, which let you take potions much faster than in previous games.

There's also the fact that the map in MHW isn't really that open. It's basically a map from MH4U but instead of skipping from one battle arena to the next, you have to walk through the boring narrow path that takes you from area 4 to area 5, so to speak. The numbered areas do look bigger and more interesting than before, so that's a plus.

And of course, the fact they're letting you pull in other players into a fight any time, and that you can go back to base camp to switch gear, is very worrisome. Monster balance is probably the single most important aspect of the game, and they seem to be messing with that for the sake of accessibility for casuals. I guess as long as the fights are still balanced for 2-man hunts it could end up alright.

All in all, I won't be convinced until I have played it up until the post-credits High Rank quests (or the $20 G-Rank DLC) and actually feel forced to learn the game's systems at a deep level, and still want to keep playing it for hundreds of hours.
    • Like Like x 2
  28. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

They aren't already? I suspect it might have something to do with the open world design. In previous MH games you could leave to another area to heal and thus avoid constant targeting; however in the middle of an open world game like MHW that option is not available to you. Having health recover partially is a nice compromise.
  29. Juegos

They are full of crap when they talk about that. I don't think I ever had to leave an area just to heal in MH4U, and the few times I did it, it was out of desperation and foolishness. It's usually riskier to run in a straight line toward the exit when you have a Super Saiyan Rajang after you, than it is to simply dodge his moves until you have enough time to pop a potion during his recovery frames. The only reason they're doing it is for the casuals.
    • Like Like x 1
  30. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I am surprised. I routinely used other rooms to heal and sharpen my weapons during intense fights; especially when I was too low on health to fully heal with one potion or had a severe blight. I would hardly call myself a casual player either.
    • Like Like x 2
  31. Juegos

I felt like it was an essential skill to develop when fighting monsters solo to save time. Maybe it was because MHTri's monsters were pretty hard to beat solo within the time limit right from the start that I developed the habit, but I guarantee you the monsters movesets are designed in such a way that they have openings that are either just big enough for an attack, just big enough for a potion, or just big enough for a whetstone. The game is designed with tight frame data the same way that Street Fighter is. Staying in the room to heal or sharpen is also really helpful to your teammates, as you force the monster to divide its attention between both of you rather than dumping the aggro on your buddies.
    • Like Like x 1
  32. mattavelle1

It's not that your casual, this is just another example of how your play style is vs. others.

For me it's boardline shameful to leave / heal / sharpen. That's one of the reasons I loved the G rank arenas so much. It locked you in there no where to run.

Where for you it's perfectly acceptable or even wise to leave / heal / sharpen.

Im also of the mind where I agree with Jueg they didn't make an open world it's still area style but now you just walk thru narrow "hallways" which will most likely have gathering points so you feel like your doin something when traveling from one area to another.
  33. Juegos

To add to my post, let me say that I've always said that Monster Hunter is like a 3D Street Fighter against bosses. What I've always meant by that is that the core game mechanics revolve around hitboxes and frame data, from which come a lot of positioning, opportunity, prediction, and execution fundamental gameplay dynamics. Being able to take a potion while running seems to me like a step toward the Monster Hunter equivalent of Street Fighter 2 Rainbow Edition, a bootleg that ignored all the fundamentals in favor of accessibility and wackiness.

• Like Like x 1
  34. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I have to say, its weird being the positive one. Everything I have seen about Monster Hunter World makes me excited for it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • Like Like x 2
  35. Juegos

I'm still gonna get it on PC, possibly PS4 if I have one by that time. I'll just have to judge the game for myself after a hundred hours of gameplay, if it takes me that far.
    • Like Like x 1
  36. EvilTw1n

Yeah, no zones could screw with the balance of the game. The "open" map isn't really anything more than taking the traditional zones of MH and adding explorable paths between them where the squiggly connecting lines used to be. This hides the loading partition until you decide to fast travel...meaning you could actually play the game as if the main zones were all that mattered, fast traveling between them. Sound like a good idea? Well, on the other hand, watching the gameplay vid, the fast travel map looked very much like a pause screen. And if you're able to pause the action to escape a faint at the last minute, then yes, I'm with the contingent saying that would be cheap (in the past, you at least had to know the maps, do some dodging, and know how to get to safety if you had to get to another zone).

But back to the paths, that could also pose balance concerns. Say one teammate pulled enough aggro to cause a chase. All they would have to do is tell their teammates "meet me in zone 2" and then they've got an ambush ready. This is probably why traps are now purely environmental - it would be far too easy to lure monsters into traps with a planned ambush. On one hand, this adds an element of strategy; you'll have to learn where the traps are and how to best cap a beast. On the other hand, damnit, I liked putting down a trap and then posing right behind it. Capcom is taking away my hunter steez.

That's all secondary (even tertiary) stuff, though. Monster AI is the ballgame here. Balancing out their aggression will be the biggest thing, because in addition to the "is that a pause screen to jump between zones?"-thing, we can do this with potions now.

[​IMG]

It's not a small detail. The rep on Monster Hunter is that "it's tough." What is always left out is the second half of that statement: "but fair."

MonHun has always given you the tools to survive, whether it be taking a mega potion, taking cool drink in a sunny desert, making a panic dodge, or running back to camp to take a quick nap and get that last first-aid kit to go fight the third Black Diablos. Sometimes you gotta nail a longsword spirit-blade attack when your team needs a Devil Jho knocked over (I can't help but notice those spirt-blade attacks came pretty cheap in the MH World gameplay vid). All tools in the toolkit of a hunter who knows how to survive. That toolkit has been edited. Some would say streamlined.

The only way to know if the balance is still fair is to fight a monster. None of us will do that for awhile, and we're left with one gameplay vid, which was more encouraging than I thought it'd be.

[​IMG]
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  37. FriedShoes

dont go looking for those zone loading threads, I fear my youthful shitposting is rampant in those discussions lol
    • LOL LOL x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  38. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

Are they really any different than your regular posts? :p
    • Like Like x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  39. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

To be fair, the comment did seem a bit out of character for your, however I knew their was know ill intent involved. Either way, I fear that we have derailed the thread somewhat.
    • Like Like x 1
  40. EvilTw1n

I'm just going to delete the derailment here; it served nothing.

Back to discussing MH World, a mechanic that has fallen off the radar is the whip/grapple. At first blush, I thought it was terribly OP - just point at the ceiling and boom, you can get away from any monster. But then it made me think of adding the mount mechanic to MH4.

In both cases, this borrowing a mechanic from another game (you could clamber on to beasts in other games; you could specifically use a whip to grapple in Freedom Wars, where it was called the "thorn") and grafting it into MonHun. They managed to balance mounting really well. So maybe they'll manage the whip/grapple in the same way. I hope so.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  41. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

As a noob myself, I leave the room all the time for a potion.
    • Like Like x 2
  42. mattavelle1

Well that all looks good and intact. My weapons I think look awesome (bow/horn/Switch) but man does that longsword look bad to the bone in this game.
  43. EvilTw1n

44. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

• The “meals” that increase all stats can now be eaten at the camp. This time around it won’t be Felynes cooking up your meals, but a receptionist.

• Player and Felyne equipment is changeable at camp.

• Fields have several camps, and players will get to start from any place.

• A fast-travel feature will let you travel from the map to camp.

I like it. :D
  45. FriedShoes

January release date. No chance of MHXX localization, lmao.
    One down, one to go.
  46. mattavelle1

How do you know the XX won't come?
  47. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

Just a matter of priorities. If MHW is coming out in January, it is a safe bet that all of Capcom's translation efforts are going into it. MHXX still has a chance of being released after MHW, but the problem is once World comes out; MMXX will lose a ton of thunder. They could still release it (And I hope they do) but I would wager it would lose more than half of its potential sales than if were released now.
    • Like Like x 2
  48. FriedShoes

Bingo. Its just logic I'm riding high on, but then again Capcom remains one of the most braindead companies around right now.
    • Like Like x 1
  49. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

If Capcom was smart, they would have translated and release MHXX before MHW came, even partnering with Nintendo to do the translation if necessary. If they were even smarter, they would have also made MHW a true multiplatform release rather than gamble with exclusivity deals again.
  50. Shoulder

Well, XX is basically just an expanded version of Generations, so the game is likely already translated anyway. It's Capcom being Crapcom right now.
    • Like Like x 1