Nintendo Switch - Official Thread

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by Wolven, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Goodtwin

Goodtwin Well-Known Member

I would love to see that third Rogue Squadron game see the light of day. Nothing like finished software going to waste. The Gamecube games actually hold up well to this day, and honestly it woudnt take much sprucing up inorder to make the Wii Rogue Squadron looks nearly on par with Battlefront. Regardless of what happens with that, I want Factor 5 making a new "Rogue Squadron" game. What I mean is this, if they cant get the Star Wars license, so be it, go for a spiritual successor. I believe Factor 5 being resurrected from the grave means they are likely to be very small at this point, probably less than 10 people right now. So going a more Indie route with their next game is probably in the cards. Who knows, maybe Nintendo can fork out some cash to get EA to license Star Wars, and Factor 5 ports Rogue Squadron Wii to Switch. Either way, Star Wars license or not, Factor 5 needs to come out with a space shooter games similar to the Rogue Squadron games, that will get a lot of attention from fans.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Shoulder

Shoulder Shouldy McShoulderface chippin' in

This newly resurrected Factor5 could be like how Shin'en are providing a futuristic racing game since F-Zero hasn't been seen or heard from in over a decade. They should make their own space shooter under its own license with their own game engine, but provide a lot of the same types of level design with objectives, enemies killed, accuracy, etc.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

Here's hoping Faactor 5 does not get shafted again. If Nintendo is smart, they will jump on the chance to partner with them for a few projects.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Shoulder

Honestly, they should just operate like Shin'en currently does. No actual partnership, but they simply make games mostly for one client. Anytime Nintendo has partnered with anyone that eventually leaves, die off. Silicon Knights, Factor5, Rare, and probably some others. They all have failed following their departures from Nintendo. It's also why I don't want to see Retro Studios ever leave since you know damn well they wouldn't make it.

And speaking of which, WHAT THE FUCK IS RETRO WORKING ON?!
    • Like Like x 3
  5. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 Fresh starts now Staff Member Moderator

Metroid Prime : Breath of the Wild

...............*fingers_crossed*
    • Like Like x 2
  6. theMightyME

theMightyME Editor in Chief of TVEnthusiast

I am guessing metroid... though I hope they are doing an original IP, and I fear they are doing more donkey kong country
  7. Socar

Socar Active Member

Which isn't going to be worthwhile because again, there's barely any games they made for the 3DS even and even so, not that many memorable games out there compared to like SEGA or Capcom.

Then why would they even want to support Nintendo in the first place? Also if I recall, wasn't Plants VS Zombies originally from Nintendo DS and did well?

Do they? If so, where's the source for that? And even so. They bought Star Wars game license knowing that its easy money for them so why use Factor 5 for that when EA can just buy them again and shut them down like how they have done for decades?

This is odd...are you implying that they should buy Factor 5? Because that doesn't seem like a good idea for either of them. For all we know, EA can just sell off Factor 5 to some other dev who would need it or just shut them down and turn it into a Subway Restaurant.

Honestly, I think Nintendo should just downright buy Factor 5 and instead make Star Fox games. That way, the essence of the Rouge Squadron games can easily come to Star Fox and Star Fox will be as big as Fire Emblem instead of being as niche as...F-Zero.
  8. Shoulder

Honestly, while I'd like for Retro Studios to try a new IP, or a different existing franchise, maybe Metroid is what the Switch needs. That or maybe a remastering of the Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Switch if Nintendo wants to get their feet wet. I understand they feel the need to expand the Metroid universe, but doing that with Federation Force did not seem to be the way to do it.

I'd personally love to see a sequel to Metroid Fusion, and actually continue the storyline rather than Tarantinoing it all the time damn time. Maybe that always rumored, "Metroid Dread" could finally come to fruition.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. mattavelle1

I loved Fusion so I would go for a squal or Metroid Dread.

I've had this thought for awhile and Ima share it with y'all now. Master Blast remake made me think of something very different with the Switch.

I think your gonna see Nintendo do everything from 8bit style to graphics that push the Switch and everything inbetween. Would be awesome to let them show there younger talent some old school ropes.
  10. Shoulder

The Wii U sort of tried to get that started, and then due to its lack of success, it wasn't able to fulfill that, but with the Switch, I can see it more so being that go to platform for Indie devs. I will say though that I think a game such as Skyrim will be a testing ground for any future potential AAA 3rd party games. That being said, it is still an older game, and has been on almost every other platform, so what can Bethesda do for Switch that hasn't been done on the other platforms? Is having Skyrim on-the-go enough for gamers to flock towards it? Only time will tell. I'm willing to suggest no at this point, but we also know nothing of the Switch version (and I'm willing to bet we won't hear much until E3).

For Indies though, it presents a low-risk opportunity (again) for them to showcase their games. That Master Blaster game sounds quite good for example, and we have a lot of other Indie games coming out that look quite good.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. mattavelle1

I'm sad for Skyrim now because after BotW you don't really wanna play that game. I played and beat it, and even then to me it was ok. There is no reason anyone after playing BotW would want to go to Skyrim IMO.
    • LOL LOL x 1
  12. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

If I owned Bethesda and I played Breath of the Wild, I would just buy all the copies of Skyrim from anyone that already owns it and just go bury them in the same landfill where the E.T. carts are buried. That's how ashamed I would be.
    • LOL LOL x 3
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  13. Goodtwin

You guys are harsh. LOL I think a game like Skyrim makes a ton of sense post Zelda BoTW. Mainly because Nintendo expanded their audience interest in open world games. I also think it helps pull in some gamers who perhaps haven't been into Nintendo in the past.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  14. Shoulder

Well, it would also certainly make some discussions more interesting, particularly on GAF. "Which is better on Switch? Zelda or Skyrim?"

And then grab the popcorn...

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 4
  15. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

• Like Like x 3
  16. Goodtwin

This is why I haven't installed my SD card yet, I figured internal memory would be faster.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
  17. Shoulder

So what about the loading times for the Wii U version then? I'm very curious on that.
  18. sjmartin79

sjmartin79 White Phoenix of the Crown

With the Switch, if it's available physical, that's how I'm buying. If it's digital only, then I'm going that way.
    Treating it like a 3Ds I guess.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. mattavelle1

The only reason I would make sense post BotW, is that you need something to bore you to death after the high that is BotW.
    • LOL LOL x 1
  20. sjmartin79

I've never played Skyrim before, so I'm excited for it, and I'm glad that I'll have several months between finishing BotW and when Skyrim launches. Would hate for them to be one right after the other so that there would be too many comparisons in my head. (Like reading a book and seeing the movie version right away.)
    • Like Like x 3
  21. theMightyME

1. because if the switch is another wii they have an opportunity to hit a huge market, but that usually doesn't happen with the same old IPs that hit everything else, rather it is from reaching a new audience, a system specific audience, or their old audience with new IPs that match the systems strengths.

2. you want me to quantify hype and nostalgia? the rogue games are beloved by Nintendo audiences from the gamecube era, I can't prove it, but the fact that factor 5 resurfacing is makign any news at all is attributed to this.

3. no, I am not saying they should buy factor 5... I am saying that a smaller studio will develop games at a smaller price... if EA paid a massive 500 man privately owned team to make a massive AAA game it would cost them more than if they hired a 5 man team... because the expense for making a game is directly attributed to the salaries, expenses, and overhead of the team making it... is the new factor 5 is a relatively small but efficient team, it will be cheaper to foot the bill of their projects
    • Like Like x 1
  22. simplyTravis

simplyTravis "A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

Skyrim is very good. You can play as different types of characters which does make it fun in a different way. I will say this..if they allowed me to play different classes in Zelda then I might have a harder time going back and playing it. How could would that be though? Choose from a few different types of Link (or even more of a support character to the main story) and go about this glorious world differently. I'd love to have a mage character with a spell system similar to Two Worlds II (very physics based spells) but use it against moblins with a better storyline. It would be amazing.

I really shouldn't complain though. Zelda strikes a great balance between using magic and weaponry. I've gotten to a point in the game where I keep picking up magic rods and using them opposed to weapons simply because I can.
    Pick up a fire rod and stand in a field of grass. Hold down attack to unleash a spin move. EVERYTHING WILL BE ON FIRE...maybe even you if you are wearing a wooden shield. Beware.
    • Like Like x 3
  23. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

Tis a shame Nintendo and other platform holder demand the same price for digital and physical games; I know it is to appease physical distribution (A little ironic considering all the while they in turn drive the used games market), but until digital games come at a reduced cost to the physical title I doubt I will ever go all digital. It is a shame, considering the Switch really does make a good argument for going all digital considering its portable nature.

I think a smart compromise would simply be to include the manuals and art books that originally came with physical games, and use that as the excuse for the price difference while charging cheaper prices for the digital versions.
  24. simplyTravis

I would somewhat disagree. I think the lack of saving space, potential for online stores disappearing after 5 to 10 years, and ease of carrying tiny, tiny carts makes physical all that more important. If needed, I could sneak games inside my wallet because they won't scratch or break now that we are back to cartridge format.

I do agree with you that there absolutely should be a players manual and/or artbook. However, art books are very expensive to print in small runs. I don't think the extra 5 to 10 bucks would be a smart investment for a company.
  25. theMightyME

so I had a vision of nintendo's future last night... I want to make mockups.. but basically I think that in about a year and 2/3 (so around holiday 2018) nintendo will release a system called something like "Nintendo Go" and maybe another called "Nintendo Home" these will basically be switch systems but in different form factors...

the go will be a clamshell single screen system shaped like a DS but with controls on the bottom half... it will ahve the same hardware as the switch, but be permanently fixed at handheld mode... you will be able to dock it, and use other controllers and such, but it will have its own dock that isn't included with the hardware, same goes for controllers... no joycons on the system, but you can sync joycons to it... it'll be about $100 cheaper than the switch proper... it will still come with 32gb,a nd still support sd... but it will be smaller (like a 4.7-5" screen) and have about twice the battery life... while I say that it will have the same hardware it could actually be using a smaller manufacture process which tends to yield better battery life...

the home will be a console only device, and will run a more advanced version of the x1 variant in the switch... it wont have exclusive games, but it could possibly run games in 4k.... and with more stable framerates and faster load times.... in the same way that the switch can run zelda docked at 900p, and undocked at 720p... this system could run things at 4k... with older games patched to support the higher resolution... the games will be otherwise identical... just running at a faster frame rate, at a higher resolution, and with possibly faster load times... the system will come with a pro controller, but can also be used with joycons... no portability at all... other changes could include more system storage... perhaps with an internal hd, or just a step up on the flash memory to like 128-256gb... still supporting sd as well

in addition to those 2 models, a new version of the switch itself will come out.. no extra power really, but perhaps better battery life, and more internal storage... same design though

another possibility is that a new dock could be released with external processing to match the switch home device

these might not all come out at the same time.... they could release slowly, or maybe only 1 of the models come out at all

but I can envision the systems in my mind now.

I also think nintendo will make a very cheap device akin to the nes classic, but a portable... probably for less than $100, maybe with a fixed game library like the classic... I could see a gameboy mini at like $60 with 30 games like the classic.... super mario land, dr. mario, pokemon red and blue... if they can manage the license... Tetris
  26. sjmartin79

I had a thought the other night, but I know they'll never do it, but to release all titles from the NES Mini as one title on the eShop and call it NES Classic. You load the game, and it takes you to a screen where you can pick from the 30 games.

As I said, they won't do it, because they can make more money selling each game individually, but 30 games with a $60 total price tag and all in one place... would be very cool.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 3
  27. Socar

Socar Active Member

1. Dude...what are you talking about?

Nintendo has made games with the same old ip and makes easy money out of it.

2. Still doesnt change the fact that they will still have licensing issues. Also can I ask what is the difference between rouge squadron and star fox?

3. Which can easily prompt EA to buy and shut them down because like I said, that is what they have always done.
  28. theMightyME

ughhh

1. I am talkign about 3rd aprty games, specifically EA... EA doesn't have much success just giving nitnendo systems the same huge AA games they give everyone, they do better on nintendo systems when they make games aimed at that audience.

2. EA owns the license already... and the difference is that they are 2 different games... the rogue games were super popular on gamecube, and when people think of factor 5 they think of rogue... factor 5 has nothing to do with star fox

3. that only happens if factor 5 wants to sell, or if factor 5 is public and EA does a hostile takeover... you can't buy what isn't for sale.. but even if, what does that have anything to do with my point... that funding a factor 5 game would be a cheap endeavor for EA
  29. mattavelle1

Found this over on IGN. It's game developers weighting in on ZELDA.

Cliffs they love it
    • Like Like x 2
  30. Socar

Socar Active Member

1. Then by that logic, the Rouge Squadron games did not sell well despite them being that good of games. They didn't reach even half a million copies so there's little reason to try making Squadron games even timed exclusive for that matter.

2. You didn't get my point. Instead of asking Factor 5 to make Squadron, they can make the essence of Squadron into a brand new Star Fox game instead. That would suffice to say the least.

3.Keep in mind that this is EA we're talking about. The most crappy company to exist in the game industry and the one responsible for putting microtransactions on AAA games period. They will do anything to get more money for better or for worse. Remember the bashing Battlefront got despite the game having amazing graphics? Yeah that's because of EA and not the actual developers behind.

So even if EA invests money to Factor 5, don't expect the games to come out the way YOU or others want it to end up like because these days...anygame that comes under EA is under caution.
  31. theMightyME

1. no rogue squadron was not a massive seller, but it was made by a small team for a small amount of money and was highly profitable, and that is what matters... as far as exclusivity, rogue probably would just fall between the cracks on ps4 and xbone, the nostalgia for the series lies with nintendo fans... and if the game was a multiplat it would have less of a sheen for nintendo fans... this is a sad truth, multiplats just don't sell on nintendo systems... unless they have a big exclusive in them... like Link in soul calibur 2

2. star fox is a far more damaged franchise than star wars, also the gameplay of rogue squadrin is very different from that of star fox, so neither fan base would be pleased... when people think factor 5 they think ROGUE Squadrin... STAR WARS

3. who the fuck cares, this is a concern about appearances.... EA has also put out games that don't nickel and dime... the reason they do nickel and dime a game like battlefield is because the game is absurdly expensive to make anyways... rogue squadrin is not.
  32. CitizenOfVerona

CitizenOfVerona Spectacular Staff Member

I tried the Switch. I like how the ZL and ZR buttons aren't as low as they were on the Wii U game pad.

I don't like how close the right stick is to the face buttons. Makes hitting the B button awkward. I also found both sticks kinda loose, like in a few months I can see them breaking.

I like how slim it is, but it could be made better. Perhaps a New Switch or whatever will fix my problems.

All in all, no regrets waiting, no regrets playing Zelda on Wii U
  33. Aki

Aki Well-Known Member

In my opinion, Switch is a fantastic console that has the potential to be Nintendo's all-time best console. I've owned it since launch, neon bundle, and have been thoroughly impressed by it. So much so that all of my free time has been dedicated to Zelda with some Shovel Knight mixed in. So far my initial observations are:

Build quality is solid even though my dock is pinched and has scratched the bezel around the screen

Joy Con are really comfortable even when in the grip, I still use my Pro Controller though

Pro Controller is easily my favorite controller this gen w/ a 40 hour battery life

Screen is very good to the point where I actually prefer playing it in handheld mode

UI, although basic, is snappy and very responsive

The graphics are good in both modes

While a lot of questions still remain like how supported will the Virtual Console be and what exactly is their solution to online, I firmly believe that the console does everything it sets out to do effortlessly. Also, Zelda is the best game that I've played in a long ass time. Better than Witcher 3, previous holder of that title and a lot better than Skyrim imo.

The thing that impresses me the most though is the game release schedule. First, we get Zelda on launch. Then MK the next month. Splatoon 2 this summer, followed by a 3D Mario for the holiday season. Plus all of the third party games like FIFA, Skyrim, Shovel Knight ... sprinkled in.

It's also worth noting that everyone that I've shown it to in real life has been impressed and intrigued by it. Nintendo is definitely on to something here.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  34. FriedShoes

FriedShoes $nipperMod Staff Member Moderator

I've dropped my Switch twice
    • smh... smh... x 2
  35. mattavelle1

First off nice to see you again Aki:mthumb:

I'm havin the same experience and if others are I would encourage them to post about it.

So far everyone I have let play the Switch has really liked it and I think most will end up buying one just based on there impressions and how it feels to them.

I showed it to 2 of my workers today and they really liked it and these aren't typical game guys. The rest have been people like last night we had a party with around 40+ people here. The adults are starting to hear the buzz from there kids. They find out I have the Switch and they wanna see it and try it.

So far IMO the instant 2 players with the joycons is a hit. The 2nd biggest draw looks to be oddly enough how quickly you can start gaming. The sleep mode is a huge awesome feature to the Switch, that along with the speed of the carts really impresses people (and myself personally). Because now when I sit down I'm up and gamin in BotW within 5-7 seconds.

I really can't wait till spla2oon just thinkin about how fast Switch has you up and running.
    • Like Like x 3
  36. Aki

Aki Well-Known Member

Nice to see you too, Matt.

Yeah, people are really intrigued by the concept of it. Especially, when you explain to them how you can play it at home and just take it with you. And like you said, it's instant, seamless, and comes with two controllers. I, myself, haven't utilized the joy con as two separate controllers yet even though friends have expressed interest in trying it out. I'm pretty much waiting on MK8 and SFII for that. I know it sounds kinda lame like the commercials, but I can totally see myself getting coffee with my buddy and just propping the switch up and challenging him to a fight or race.

Everything is so fast and like you, I love the fact that it uses carts. Sure, some games will be more expensive, but I'm fine with that because there's more durability and less physical space taken up. Also, I like the cases. I know that's not a big thing, but it's little things like this that Nintendo got right. And yes, Sleep Mode is a god send. I can hit my home button and in the worst case scenario be up and running in Zelda about 12 sec later. That's incredible

Plus, switching to handheld mode is so effortless. I play my switch on the go the majority of the time and the fact that I can take any game with me and play it at any time I want is mind-blowing. It tears down all the boundaries to the point where I don't really care if a third party game runs 30 fps compared to 60 on the PS4. Mario Kart on the go is going to be incredible.
    • Like Like x 4
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  37. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

The speed of the switch is my favorite thing about the os/features so far. It is much faster than I ever expected.
    • Like Like x 4
  38. Juegos

Damn, that's the one thing where I thought people would for sure stick with their PS4s, the graphics. Now you got me wondering if I would pick up a future third party game on Switch rather than PC. Also, good to see you around here Aki.
    • Like Like x 3
  39. simplyTravis

Well...I started noticing something. My left joycon seems to disconnect far quicker than the right when moving around the living room. Looks like I might be sending it in. I think I'll try to get a Pro Controller first since I don't want to be Zelda-less for however long it takes to get back. :mcry:
  40. Juegos

That's not your joycon being defective, it's just how they're made. The left joycon has a different antenna than the right one, and it has a much lower range because of it. Nintendo will just send you back an identical joycon.

Edit: For the record, I don't think this is ok. It's pretty trashboat that one of our joycons is forever going to have mediocre range. Though we can alleviate the issue by holding the joycon differently or repositioning our Switch to be in line-of-sight at all times, it would be much more convenient if the left joycon just did the same thing the right joycon did. If Nintendo doesn't say anything about fixing these joycons free of charge or something, I'll definitely open mine up even if that will void the warranty. But I'll definitely wait a bit before doing that, since my dock is also scratching my Switch's touchscreen bezel a little bit, and I want to have my warranty ready in case it goes to shit at some point.
    • Like Like x 4
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  41. theMightyME

it is so strange, the right joycon has everything the left joycon has, but also has nfc, an ir camera, and a better antenna

they both cost $50 a piece
    • Like Like x 1
  42. Shoulder

Thinking about it, and I know some of you definitely played the originals back in the day on GBA, but I think the time is right for another entry in the Golden Sun franchise. As I listen to the soundtrack once again, I sometimes forget how important of a game this was to me back in the early 2000s, and what it has meant for me with JRPGs as a whole. There are essentially two JRPGs that kickstarted my love of JRPGs, and while they are not my most-played genre, whenever I do is rather special. I am of course talking about Skies of Arcadia, and Golden Sun. I'll even give an honorable mention to Final Fantasy X since that was my very first FF game, and I still want to experience many of the other entries in the franchise.

If I can get everything to work right, 2017 is looking to be the year of the JRPG for me. So many JRPGs to play, and that is why I want another Golden Sun. Please, Camelot. We need this. :mpray:
    • Like Like x 4
  43. Shoulder

Oh, and one more thing, everyone. If you're worried about scratches on your Switch screen, look no further than some of the creative folks on Etsy.

https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/TinckoyMakesitSew?ref=l2-shopheader-name

I think this is rather cool, and can certainly add some more color and custom look to your switch dock. Lets face it, it's not the most pleasing thing to look at in stock form, so I'd totally get this; probably the Zelda-themed one at that.
    • Like Like x 4
  44. Aki

Aki Well-Known Member

Honestly, graphics aren't THAT big of a deal. Yeah, they have to be good, but nowadays, a lot of machines are capable of outputting good graphics.

As long as the switch ports aren't massively gimped in terms of features and are up to snuff, I'm probably gonna buy most third party games on switch.
    • Like Like x 4
  45. theMightyME

just play 6... by FAR the best in the franchise
  46. Shoulder

So I've heard people say 6, 7, 9, 10, and 12 are the best in the franchise. So the only logical explanation is to play them all. I own 7, 10, and 12 (10 and 10-2 I've played, but also have the HD remaster).
  47. theMightyME

everyone who didn't say 6 was wrong
  48. Shoulder

You know the drill then, Mighty. Provide me evidence to support your claim. :mmischief:
  49. theMightyME

ok... I have prepared said evidence, it is available in the form of a cart for the gba, as a download on the wii vc, and by various other means, feel free to examine my evidence.
    • LOL LOL x 3
  50. theMightyME