Nintendo Switch - Official Thread

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by Wolven, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

Out of curiosity, are there many "older" 360/PS3/PC/X1/PS4 games that you guys would buy for the Switchif they were made available? Regardless of whether or not they were a simple port?
    • Like Like x 2
  2. FriedShoes

FriedShoes MLG Staff Member Moderator

GTA IV
    Dark Souls
    Rocket League
    Vanquish
    Burnout Paradise
    NFS Underground
    Geometry Wars
    Castle Crashers
    • Like Like x 5
  3. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

GTA IV/V and Darksouls sound like a no brainier to me. I would also love to see Nintendo Partner with platinum and the related developers who worked on Vanquish to make a sequel. I am mostly unfamiliar with the other games you mentioned though.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Shoulder

Shoulder Shouldy McShoulderface chippin' in

I never finished MK8, so I'd say there's still plenty to talk about with it. Hell, I hardly tackled 200cc mode, so I haven't quite gone to plaid just yet.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. FriedShoes

You said older, so I didnt really want to touch into anything too recent.
    I also prefer GTA4 to 5 in most aspects, I would very much welcome that game even though it would be pretty bad optics and be the butt of a lot of internet snark.
    Rocket League is soccer with rocket cars.

Geometry Wars and Castle Crashers are old XBLA games, a shooter and a brawler. Both pretty simple games, but ones I've enjoyed a lot in the past. Castle Crashers is very much centered around a co-op experience, online or local, so that would be a neat fit.
    Shinji Mikami aint directing anymore, dont know what his involvement was in Vanquish but it was probably something along that level. Wouldnt trust a game without him.
    Burnout Paradise was Criterions last original game before they were dumped onto NFS. Arcade-ish racing game in a fun dumb open world setting. It like NFS Most Wanted, but pretty much better in every way imo.
    NFS Underground (1 and 2) were more simulation style NFS games, but with a nice, slick, Fast and Furious coat of paint splashed over it. Street racing in an, I think, open world setting. You could go around racing sanctioned laps or find cars while driving around, send them a text, and boom you're sprinting all over the place. The reason I loved the series was due to its customization features. You could tear down and build up everything about your car, from transmission to paint jobs. I had several cars in my garage themed after things like Batman, Joker, Darth Vader, Mario, Mega Man, etc. All street-themed, of course, but still, I dont think customization has ever gotten to that level since and it might have to do with automobile companies keeping a tight leash on their licenses now.

I mentioned this in the chat a while back, but I think it would be kinda neat for SUDA to make a sort of "grindhouse" collection of games. Shadows of the Damned, Lollipop Chainsaw and Killer is Dead in one package would be pretty cool. Though Killer is Dead doesnt quite fit. Maybe swap that out for an updated Michigan Report from Hell.

I need to think about this some more, I'm finding it difficult to think up things I actually want from the past. Like, I would say Portal/2 but I've played that once or twice already and have no real want to do it again. dunno.
    • Like Like x 3
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  6. theMightyME

theMightyME Editor in Chief of TVEnthusiast

I don't think multiplats would generate any buzz for the switch.... exclusive 3rd party games sure, but not multiplats

multiplats CAN add to the value proposition of the system, but with the switch launching so much later than the others it is silly to think that people who want the next call of duty are waiting on switch news....

also, with the switch being the least powerful the talk would mostly be about the switch version being sub optimal.... which isn't exactly good buzz... it is different with indies where the games themselves are not as complex, nor is the optimization of them.... but switch multiplats of AAA games could actually turn switch talk negative... especially considering how many people still don't seem to get that the switch is portable... they know it is, but they don't GET it...

they sit around talking about how switch isn't as powerful as ps4 without acknowledging how less portable the ps4 is than the switch....

those who actually OWN a switch do get it... and it is kind of funny listening to gamescoop, which has been historically anti-nintendo and hearing the crew talk about how they want every game on the switch because of the portability...

but those who do not own the switch already see a less powerful call of duty and react negatively

likewise, the games "journalists" who want everything on the switch will strive for objectivity and score the less powerful switch versions of games lower, even though that is the version they desire... which creates a mixed message

people just don't seem to know how to quantify the value of a game on the switch being raised because of the system's portability... so it ends up not factoring in AT ALL

the way around this is to focus on games with no alternative sku for negative comparison...
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

Although that value can be a huge factor, as it is the only notable game on the Switch right now and for the next few months is BoTW. To anyone not already a diehard Nintendo fan the Switch is simply not a good purchase at this time. If it had even a few general multiplatform titles, its portability alone could be a selling point for millions of users. As is right now, it is just a BoTW player.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Shoulder

What is this? We actually agree on something? :msrs:

I think GTAIV has the better story compared to V, and was definitely a more mature title in terms of its theme. More grown-up as it were, and I loved that aspect compared to previous entries, and GTAV. The thing with GTAV for me was while it was a lot of fun, it was by no means a "OMG! GOAT!!!" type game. It never came to that. I still enjoy playing it from time to time, but even though I have it for PC (and PS3), I would rather revisit GTAIV at this point.

And also totally agree on Burnout Paradise, which I loved on PS3. Will probably never sell it since I've invested some extra dough on the DLC. And also ditto on NFS Underground. Absolutely loved that game, which does make me slightly interested in the newest NFS title since it does have a more underground feel to it. But I don't know how good it is off-hand.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. theMightyME

but would a multiplat gamer even consider getting the switch version of a multiplat when they almost assuredly own "superior" hardware that also plays said games? maybe if the switch came at the same time as the ps4 and xbone... but it came later, and the people whow ant their call of duty and mass effect games already own hardware for those... in that instance does the switch having the game add any value AT ALL?
  10. Shoulder

If playing on-the-go is adding value then yes.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. theMightyME

but oddly that seems to be something that only people whop own the switch think about... as I mentioned a few posts up... people who don't own it don't seem to consider it, and I doubt reviewers who WOULD consider it would actually weight it in their reviews, which is unfortunate

the only cases in which portability would really matter IMO is for games with local co-op... like if the next monster hunter was on both switch and ps4 I think everyone would agree that the switch is the better version because in japan, that is how monster hunter is played... on portables at a cafe in local multiplayer
  12. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I would bet you a dollar that their are millions of prospective customers who would jump at the chance to play some of their favorite games on the go. If people don't consider that a factor yet, then Nintendo should step up the marketing even more to make a point of it. Again, portability is the Switches single biggest factor;
    • Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  13. Shoulder

I think about it in terms of what games would you like to pass the time on the shitter. I think there are a fair bit of people who would engage in that, although just be sure to wipe it down with some disinfectant when you're finished.
    • Like Like x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
  14. Goodtwin

Goodtwin Well-Known Member

Switch is getting some attention from some previous naysayers. They might think its a shit console, but a fantastic portable unit. So yes, I do think there is potential for older 360/ps3 games making their way to Switch. Games like GTA V are a no brainer. Not saying it will happen, but there are tons of people who would take notice to being able to play GTA V on the go. I also look at low volume products like Shield TV getting ports of some older games. If developers are willing to port some older games to a userbase of 50-100k, why not cash in with some Switch ports. This isnt like the Wii U situation where there were hurdles, Switch is more powerful in pretty much every way compared to the 360/PS3 and has a very friendly development enviornment. Heck, Nvidia themselves ported Tomb Raider 2013 to Shield TV, maybe it will make its way to Switch as well. I dont think ports will be the driving force behind Switch, but I certainly dont see how their existance would hurt.
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  15. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

Vanquish would be 10 times better for me just by having gyro controls.

A Dead Space collection would be badass as well. The series might have ended on a sour note, but a collection with all 3 games in one package would be a lot of great gaming.

Dragon's Dogma should also be there. It's basically what people that loved BotW think they're getting when they buy Skyrim later this year.

Left 4 Dead 2 would also be huge, but hopefully we're actually getting Left 4 Dead 3 sometime.

That said, I wouldn't really get these games on the Switch myself because I already have them on PC. The only exception would be anything from the Left 4 Dead series, because it would be great to play that with people here.
    • Like Like x 5
  16. Aki

Aki Well-Known Member

As a multi console gamer, I'd get the Switch version over the Xbox version if they came out around the same time, were similar in price, the Switch version wasn't lacking features and the game is one that I wanna play on the go or in the car / office / coffee shop.
    • Like Like x 4
  17. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

• Like Like x 2
  18. FriedShoes

I just didnt see THAT much of a difference between GTA4 and 5, so for me its easy to choose one over the other. Story on both was "ok", although since I was younger at the time I probably enjoyed how serious GTA4 was. In reality, it wasnt that different from other games in the series. Still, I enjoyed the characters more, the setting more, the music more and the satire more. GTA5 had a lot of material to work with on that front but failed to live up to it.
    I am of course lumping in Lost and Damned and Ballad of Gay Tony into my opinion of GTA4, which is unfair to 5 but whatever. I cant hate on a game that is basically set in my city either :p
    The physics engine really makes that game, dont know why they toned that stuff down.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. EvilTw1n

EvilTw1n Necessary Evil Staff Member Moderator

For me it ruined the game. I gave GTAIV like 10-12 hours, but driving was never really fun because the car physics made everything I drove feel like a 1970s land yacht (anyone that called those physics "realistic" needs to find me cars that pitch and roll at 30 mph like they're doing 90; I owned an '88 Crown Vic...that ain't how they work). In a game where you're always driving around, it's kinda important to make the driving fun. I'd give it another shot on Switch, though, I guess.
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  20. Shoulder

I must be the only person who loved the driving physics, and even if they weren't entirely realistic, I did like the floppiness to it for some of the cars. Some cars just felt good to drive, such as the muscle cars, at high speeds with the hood cam angle.

I always had this idea of making a video creating my own version of C'etait un Redezvous using GTAIV/GTAV with the hood/bumper cam.=, driving through the city as fast as possible, but without taking damage or hitting anything, and being very precise on nearly hitting stuff, but not actually (I had a rough idea on a route I'd take, which would be maybe 10-15 minutes of uninteruupted driving). Unfortunately for GTAV, there's the 1st person cockpit view, and no actual bumper/hood cam in the PC version. It was atl east kept in the PS3 version, but after the 1st-person view mode was introduced, they took out the hood cam, and was sad. I'd like to find a mod where it restores it.
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I would actually like a "Switch Sports" game that makes use of the joycons improved gyroscopes. It would work very well with the Switches party adverts.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I hope Nintendo drops the e-shop/cartridge cost parity. I know it is to appease the brick and motor stores, but I suspect it is really going to hinder Switch software sales in the long run, particularly in regards to multi-platform and indie titles.
    • Like Like x 1
  23. FriedShoes

multiplats are free to do whatever they want. Puyo Puyo Tetris is 40 bucks retail and 30 on the eshop
    HOWEVER, the physical release is still ten bucks more than PS4 retail. Keychains and stickers are meant to lessen the blow.
    Indies dont have the luxury, I suspect, cartridges arent quite that cheap yet.
    • Like Like x 2
  24. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I know I heard somewhere that the e-shop and physical releases had to be the same price. If what you say is true, that is a load off my mind.
  25. theMightyME

But you already own a switch, would call off duty make you but a switch of your reason due buying one in the first place wasn't there
  26. simplyTravis

simplyTravis "A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

Looks like procrastination paid off. The new update makes this game playable!!!! Check out the Bomber-thread for details if you are interested in what they did to make it an actual good game. (like going from 30 fps to 60 fps!)

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/forums/threads/official-super-bomberman-r-thread-kaboom.4028/
    • Like Like x 3
  27. Aki

Aki Well-Known Member

The one thing that I'm still uncertain about is third party online multiplayer games on NS and it's due in part to Nintendo not being clear on the online infrastructure of the console. Not much has been revealed yet, but from what we do, I'm skeptical on both fronts.

On the software side of things, my issue specifically lies w/ voice chat supposedly going through your phone. This notion is supported by what we've heard from Nintendo and what the hardware indicates. There is no mic jac on the Pro Controller or the Joy Con grip. As of now there is also no headset option in the console settings and you can't pair Bluetooth headsets w/ NS.

I see this as a potential issue because online voice chat is resource heavy and may be of a big battery drain on your phone. Not only that, but it renders your phone useless for actual phone calls while you're chatting. I could see this being remedied by a tablet app, but even then, it makes it much more cumbersome than it needs to be.

I'm not going to judge a book by its cover and am still giving Nintendo the benefit of the doubt so I hope they don't mess it up and really push voice chat and online in their multiplayer games.
    • Like Like x 1
  28. Shoulder

I also am skeptical of the notion of voice chat through an app on your computer, tablet or phone, but maybe Nintendo are trying to reset the standard or something, and maybe it benefits them more than we think. I'm likely wrong, but I get the impression that Nintendo has something special planned.

Then again, would it have really used that many resources to add voice chat? I believe we've talked about this before, but I'd like to know how much processing power and resources a standard 8 player online match would take.
  29. FriedShoes

• LOL LOL x 1
  30. Shoulder

So, COD WWII was just officially confirmed to be in development, with a trailer coming out in the coming days. So now the big question becomes: Will this see the light of day on Switch?

Space I think is the major thing because the last COD game was something around 80-90GB, but I also think that's because COD games just have horrible compression techniques, especially now. I do think Activision are thinking about it, given how the Switch has a solid build-up for an install base, and given the current lineup of games, it's likely to stay pretty steady. And for some, a portable COD is enticing, which would also mean a new meaning for the name Call of Dooty.
    • Like Like x 2
  31. FriedShoes

32. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

CoD has lost my interest in the past few years, although I would gladly buy a Modern Warfare or Black Ops trilogy if they were to be made and come to the switch. Those games, or at least some of the games within them, are the backbone of my online play and hold years worth of memories for me.
  33. FriedShoes

I find it really funny that people will be doing sick 360 no-scopes in a World War 2 setting.
    • Like Like x 1
  34. theMightyME

I'd say more like 10% chance
    • Like Like x 2
  35. Goodtwin

I give it 25% chance. COD was released on the much tougher to port Wii.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
    • Like Like x 1
  36. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

Although whether or not the Switch can reach wii levels of user installation remains to be seen. Nintendo systems have made a bad reputation among 3rd party publishers in terms of AAA support; so even if it would be easy to port games to the system, many of the may to be too wary bother porting the game, even though it is a win/win situation.
    • Like Like x 1
  37. Juegos

If it came to the Switch, it would have more active players than the PC versions of the last two games, so sign me up.
    • Like Like x 2
  38. Shoulder

Part of the problem has always been a hurdle compared to the others. With GCN, it was storage capacity. With the Wii, it was lack of horsepower (Basically the difference between a Prius, and a Porsche 911). With the Wii U, it was lack of an install base. With the Switch? Remains to be seen.

And part of the reason 3rd party games sell less could be down to missing features compared to other versions, launching later, higher price points, poor performance, etc.

If AAA 3rd party titles release on Switch with all features, launching at the same time, at the same price points, and perhaps even some Switch-Exclusive extras, then there might be less of an issue.
    • Like Like x 3
  39. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

The price point is probably going to be the big stickler for the Switch. Although Cartridges are far cheaper now than they were for the N64, they are still far more expensive (relatively speaking) to traditional blue-ray formats; and I highly doubt publishers are going to be willing to pony up the extra $2-3 for them without raising the price tag another $10 on the consumer end.
  40. Goodtwin

This was an entertaining video, and I really think he is nailing the appeal with Switch. One point that I really feel he nails is the potential for older games to be attractive on the Switch. He mentions Resident Evil 4, and I have to agree, although I have purchased it twice already on GC and then the definitive Wii version, I would be interested in a Switch build because I could play it on the go. This is true of a ton of game though. The bottom line is that remasters make more sense on Switch than other consoles because it is portable. Being able to replay Mario Sunshine might not be all that appealing on a home console, but on the go, hell yea. I would love to see Eternal Darkness get an HD overhaul on Switch. Even games like GTA Vice City might make for a nice addition to Switch. Bottom line is the Switch has a different appeal than other consoles, and perhaps nostalgia makes more sense on Switch than other consoles.
    • Like Like x 3
  41. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

Nintendo really should make a studio or two dedicated to porting and re-releasing old and multi-platform titles on modern Nintendo systems
    • Like Like x 2
  42. FriedShoes

It has begun
    FEAR ME
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  43. simplyTravis

simplyTravis "A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

I will have my revenge...REVENGEEEEE!!!!

[​IMG]
    REVEEEEENGEEEEEEE!
    • Like Like x 1
  44. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

From the last direct, the only Switch title I want is Splatoon 2. Besides it, there's nothing there for me.

3DS list though, much better for me. I'll keep playing my 3DS for a few years.
  45. Shoulder

So I guess in this game, the points really do not matter.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  46. FriedShoes

Damn right they dont, otherwise everyone would just be 1-chaining and fast-dropping pieces to win

ANOTHER ABSOLUTE DEVASTATION
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
    • smh... smh... x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
  47. Juegos

• LOL LOL x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  48. sjmartin79

sjmartin79 White Phoenix of the Crown

I had to look up these people. They also did a brilliant Breath of the Wild review.
    • LOL LOL x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  49. theMightyME

I now have 6 switch games

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    Snipperclips
    I am Setsuna
    Jackbox Party Pack 3
    Puyo Puyo Tetris
    Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

thats half 1st party, half 3rd party
    1/3 full priced games, 2/3 lower priced games
    1/3 single player games, 2/3 multiplayer games
    1 switch exclusive, 1 enhanced port, and 4 multiplats (zelda being multiplat on wii u)
    • Like Like x 2
  50. Goodtwin

How much are you guys playing the smaller titles you have purchased? I have over 10 hours in Fast RMX, and over 5 hours in Snake Pass. I have been playing Fast RMX mostly on my lunch breaks, and Snake Pass has been played in burst.

Zelda I am over 110 hours, and Mario Kart 8 has already seen nearly 10 hours since starting Friday night.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
    • Like Like x 2