Official Super Bomberman R Thread - KABOOM!

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by simplyTravis, Feb 28, 2017.

1. simplyTravis

simplyTravis "A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

[​IMG]
    Get ready for SUPER BOMBERMAN R on the Nintendo Switch!
    [​IMG]

Did you play Bomberman when you were a kid? Well, if so, you are in luck! Bomberman R comes out on March 3rd which just happens to be the Switch launch. This version of Bomberman looks to take a more old school approach to gameplay in 3d stages with a shiny new art style (that they call "photo-real") slapped on top.

GAME MODES:
    • Story Mode with 50 stages
    • Story Mode Co-Op (still 50 stages!)
    • Battle Mode for up to 8 players Local
    • Battle Mode Online for 8 Players
    FEATURES:
    • Bomberman is back with the same game system and controllability with a fresh take on a classic title
    • "Photo-Real" graphics
    • Bomberman's siblings and well-known enemies are back with rich personality
    • 3D stages with dynamic environments
    • Battle mode for maximum of 8 players, local connection battles, and online battles
    • Enriched story with all-star voice actors

Official Trailer

Treehouse Live Gameplay
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  2. simplyTravis

This is a Day 1 game for me! Anyone else joining in the party? I hear whispers from little birds that @Juegos might be... is there merit to this?
  3. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

OK THEN, I'LL GET IT DAY ONE JEEZ.
    • LOL LOL x 1
  4. simplyTravis

I mean, I can wait a week or so. I don't even get my Switch until Sunday.

I'm sure I'll Zelda for dang near a week straight.

Y'know..unless there is a necessary impromptu test of Bomberman R's online play and such.

With that being said. I'm looking to confirm rumors that you can play with 7 other people locally by sending the battles to their Switches kind of like how GBA handled some games in the past. If so, that is huge. There is an interview coming out tomorrow about the game so hopefully that is confirmed.
  5. Juegos

Nah I'm just messing with you cause I didn't need a lot of arm twisting to get convinced.
    • LOL LOL x 1
  6. Goodtwin

Goodtwin Well-Known Member

I will be getting Bomberman within a month. I know Zelda will occupy most of my gaming time for a few weeks. You can count on me being ready by the end of March.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  7. simplyTravis

OOOOOH DANG Y'ALL!

Super Bomberman R is in the mail according to Amazon!
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Goodtwin

Looks like Super Bomberman R runs at 30 fps. I guess we can all cancel those preorders.....LOL. It's been hilarious seeing the pettiness regarding this. It's not a twitch reflex game. Was I expecting 60fps? Sure, but it hardly a deal breaker. Not sure what Wario vs Bomberman ran at on Gameboy, but I loved it. The game was also shown as sold out on Amazon, good sign that sales are strong.

• Like Like x 2
  9. simplyTravis

Well, I think the lack of action going on in this room confirms my growing suspicions.

Bomberman R just isn't that good of a game.

My main problem comes into play when there is no fixed camera. I just can't seem to line up my drops consistently. I just switched the camera to "fixed" today and now multiplayer works flawlessly.

I only wish I could do this for single player because that mode is nearly unplayable for me at the moment. I'm hoping I catch onto it. I'm not trying too hard, however. I mean..there is still Zelda to play.

What is everyone else thinking?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Juegos

I haven't bought it yet. $50 is steep as hell, so I'm still trying to find the inspiration to buy it.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. simplyTravis

I would hold off and pick up Snipperclips instead at least until you can try it. I'm going to hold onto my copy because I have a friend with the game. I will admit, it is a good little multiplayer game to play with another person or so in tablet mode. Single player (which I was excited about) is just painful from a control perspective.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Goodtwin

I haven't bought anything other than Zelda for Switch so far. Super Bomberman R has been on my short list, but from the issues I have been hearing about with online lag and so forth, its no longer a guarantee first month buy for me. If it was $20, I would probably grit out some laggy matches, but at $50, there is no way I am going to shrug off these issues. Once I hear they have patched up the game to bring the online multi player up to par, then I will jump in, but as of right now, its not worth the $50 asking price when the bulk of my gaming time is being spent with Zelda. Not to mention there is still gaming to be done on my Wii U and PC. I'm glad Super Bomberman R has sold pretty well so far, bodes well for Konami authorizing continued support to get the game patched up to perfection, but I'm also glad I didn't bother buying it right away myself. If they can iron out these issues, I think it can be an evergreen title that sells north of a million copies, but its a shame that such a simplistic title has these technical issues in the year 2017. Can you imagine if Puyo Puyo Tetris was laggy as fuck? Its not a minor grievance.
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  13. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

Nope. I could buy this for $10 if I find it.

It's not full price material at all.
  14. Juegos

It's worth $20 for me for sure, and I'd even be alright with $30. But $50 is ridiculous, unless the online turns out to be amazing. I'm eye-ing the MyNintendo rewards everyday hoping to see a discount for it.
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  15. Goodtwin

I could even see $40, but with laggy online matches, I just can't make the purchase. If they patch it properly, then I will put it back on the short list. I still have so much Zelda to play, and Fast RMX will be downloaded within a couple days.

16. Goodtwin

https://www.konami.com/games/bomberman/r/us/en/news/

Looks like Konami is doing right by this game. Doesn't sound like they are done after this patch either, so further refinements are coming. Its going to be back on my short list I think. Not sure if I will get it before the end of March, but within the first two weeks in April seem likely if the feedback from tomorrows patch is very positive.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. simplyTravis

Dangit...things like this make me want to keep the game, haha. I had just made the decision to trade this in and put it towards a Pro Controller. Hmmm...decisions, decisions.
  18. Goodtwin

Please test the patch and let us know if it's up to par. It just went live.

• Like Like x 1
  19. simplyTravis

Bogey.

Single player and local feel better. Online now pauses constantly (while letting the bombs still count down.)
  20. Goodtwin

Bummer. I guess I will simply wait and see if they ever get it ironed out.

21. simplyTravis

I'll let you know if it improves in the next few days. I'll have it until at least Wednesday. I might turn it in after that and put it towards a pro controller or more joycons.
  22. Aki

Aki Well-Known Member

I might get this game. It really depends on how much they patch it. Haven't played it, but from the videos, the camera looks awful.
    • Like Like x 1
  23. simplyTravis

After a few sessions, I will say this:

• Single Player and Local Battles have far better control. I don't feel like I am dropping a bomb a half second behind anymore.
    • Online still is laggy.
    • Single Player is almost fun now.
    • WHY THE HELL CAN WE NOT MOVE THE CAMERA WITH THE RIGHT STICK IN SINGLE PLAYER? That would solve the problem right there...
    • Like Like x 1
  24. simplyTravis

• Like Like x 3
  25. Aki

Aki Well-Known Member

i'm still interested in copping this game. anyone here own or still own it?
  26. simplyTravis

OOOOOOH DANG YOU GUYS! Konami just gave us one of the most impressive patches ever! They just doubled the FPS from 30 to 60 and made this game super playable finally! So much for trading it in. Hooray procrastination!

Ver.1.3 Update Notice
    ・Four new VS stages have been added to the shop (White Cross, Lagoon, Max Speed, Power Zone).

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

・Two new series of accessories have been added to the shop (Crowns, Bombs).

・The frame rate of the entire game has been improved. We also made slight adjustments and improved the controls as well.

・Less lags are likelier to happen when every participant in the Online Battle have good network connection.
    (If you want to find opponents with good connection, set Other > Basic Settings > Network Settings to the very left.)

・Made it possible to press L/R to change the inclination of he map in the Story Mode. Other > Basing Settings will also allow you to fix the camera position as well.

・You can now choose the strength of the COM on the Multiplayer Battle Mode.

・The strength of the Five Dastardly Bombers on the Story Mode have been adjusted.

・The difficulties of Beginner and Normal have been reduced, making it easier to beat them.

・Adjusted the heights and slopes on some maps to improve the visibility.

・If you continue a certain number of times in the Story Mode, you will be able to continue without paying anymore gems.

・Changed the BP (Battle Point) increase/decrease rate for the League Battle.

・Fixed other various small bugs.

Look at it...LOOK AT IT!
    • Like Like x 3
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  27. Aki

Aki Well-Known Member

I'm gonna be picking this game up in the near future. Probably right after I pick up Mario Kart.
    • Like Like x 1
  28. Goodtwin

Me as well, but perhaps a bit later now that MK8 is so close. I wish this game had been a bit more polished out of the gate. I was eyeing it up big time, but the issues caused me to hold off. It seems like this game is going through Alpha and Beta versions, and will be finalized within a few more months. I think the end game is going to be a fabulous Bomberman game, but the competition for my gaming dollars is heating up. MK8 next week, and Street Fighter 2 a month from now, which will force me to buy a Pro Controller are causing me some pause with pulling the trigger on buying Bomberman.
    • Like Like x 2
  29. Aki

Aki Well-Known Member

I still have to beat Zelda so that takes precedent over Bomberman. I too am excited for USFII. I think that game is going to be awesome and hope a lot of people get it. Bomberman would've been the perfect secondary game to get w/ the NS had they played it right.
    • Like Like x 2
  30. GaemzDood

GaemzDood Well-Known Member

So rather than optimizing it, the new patch almost halves the resolution to get to 60 FPS.

> Unity

Sent from my SM-G900V using genital warts
    • Like Like x 1
  31. simplyTravis

Haha..yup. Honestly though, the games visuals were lackluster in the first place. The fps bump helped more than the lowered resolution hurt.
    • Like Like x 2
  32. GaemzDood

GaemzDood Well-Known Member

Unity is such a bad multiplatform engine due to the multi-threading, or lack thereof. Only a couple of games for it have come out well optimized (Ori, INSIDE, Yooka-Laylee). Broforce, a 2D pixel art game that runs at around 100 FPS on a 750 Ti/i3 combo, dips as low as 15 FPS on the PS4. Oddworld: New n' Tasty's performance is slightly better, but still horrendous considering the genre and visual quality. There are more anecdotal examples (ReCore, etc.), but I think it's clear enough.

Sent from my SM-G900V using genital warts
    • Like Like x 2