Official Super Mario Odyssey Thread - "Woohoo!"

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by Shoulder, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Shoulder

Shoulder Beardy McShoulder chippin' In...

[​IMG]

Alright, guys. You know the drill. You know the name. And you know the name of the game. Let's do this!

Reveal Trailer:

Launch Date: Holiday 2017
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Shoulder

@Koenig Your wish is my command, Top Hat.

I think you're onto something about the use of different hats in Mario Odyssey. I think it would be interesting to wear different hats from different franchises such as Zelda, Metroid, Earthbound, etc. Hell, I'd just want to see Mario wear a sombrero (which I think @juegosmajicos would approve of), and like you said, a top hat, which I know you'll be first in line to wear one. You may not own in in real life yet, but you can certainly fill the void with a Mario one.

Hell, how about taking a cue from Oddjob from Goldfinger, and have Mario cut stuff with it?

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 3
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  3. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

Ill go ahead and quote some of my points from the Switch Thread:

(There is also the fact that Mario's new ship is actually giant red flying Top Hat as well, I definitely get the feeling that "hats" are this games main theme)
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I am more excited for Mario Odyssey than I have been for any Mario game in the past Decade (so, basically since the original Super Mario: Galaxy) I am a little concerned about the art direction of at least "some" of the levels, but over all the amount of "new" material is a huge step in the right direction. Though really, any step away from the "New Super Mario Bros" art style qualifies for that in my book, ironically enough.
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Shoulder

Hmmm, Mario 3D World dealt with cats, and now Mario Odyssey is dealing with hats. So clearly, Nintendo is taking inspiration from Dr. Seuss.

[​IMG]
    • LOL LOL x 5
  6. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

One thing I am very curious about right now is whether or not the areas we have seen so far are individual levels with multiple stars (Following the Mario 64/Sunshine set up), If they are secondary hubs with their own levels, or if they are single levels in and of themselves.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 Fly to the treasure chest and back Staff Member Moderator

I always loved the hidden depth in games like Sunshine. I'm also hopin for a lot of secrets in each level for this Mario Adventure.

IM SUPER PUMPED FOR THIS GAME!!!! It looked fantastic in all the new worlds to explore and platform thru. This is gonna be great and people are gonna love it. :mlove:
    • Like Like x 2
  8. FriedShoes

FriedShoes MLG Staff Member Moderator

I have my suspicions that there are more levels ala 3D World than Worlds ala Mario 64/Sunshine in this game.
    Its just that, from what I've seen, they all seem pretty linear and small. Linear might not be the right word, but I see what might clearly be "level ends" as well as Bowser flag checkpoints in the footage. Hence why they use the term sandbox and not open-world or open-ended. Maybe the levels are thematically linked, but considering this is from the team who is able to dump out creativity the size of 3D World into their levels, I wouldn't hedge my bets.
    We'll see, but either way I really like what I'm seeing. A lot of very unique looking objectives and levels, Mario having a robust moveset, possibly fun and cute little story tied together in a very expressive package. The animation on Mario is just on point, its got a good feel to it. Can't wait to see more.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. TheAmazingLSB

TheAmazingLSB PLEASE UNDERSTAND....

[​IMG]

Dat water....

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 6
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  10. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

If I had to guess, I suspect that you use the "Globe" on the flying hat to determine what area you want to travel to; whether or not the area's are their own levels or level hubs remains to be seen however; I hope that we get a hub structure similar to peaches castle in the levels as apposed to the "map" that Galaxy 2 used (which also happened to kill any form of exploration and my interest in the game)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Superfakerbros

Superfakerbros ECE 2018 Staff Member Moderator

The game looks fucking awesome but, wont lie, I'm also a bit worried that the more open levels will lead to less tightly designed levels compared to the Galaxy games or 3D World as that's what I look for in my Mario games. I just hope the game alleviates my concern
    • Like Like x 4
  12. CitizenOfVerona

CitizenOfVerona Spectacular Staff Member

Obligatory Sonic 2006 joke
    • Like Like x 2
    • LOL LOL x 1
  13. Superfakerbros

Superfakerbros ECE 2018 Staff Member Moderator

You're a Sonic 2006 :mhand:
    • LOL LOL x 4
  14. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

In all seriousness, the New York (or New Donk as it seems to be called) area gave me HUGE sonic adventure vibes, especially when it showed human characters walking alongside Mario. Station Square came flooding back to memory in those moments.
  15. Shoulder

I was honestly getting more Roger Rabbit vibes than Sonic 2006. Although, in fairness, I have not played Sonic 2006, but I have seen Roger Rabbit; albeit it has been about twenty years.

And speaking of that, I had not realized that Mario was a Hobbit this entire time.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. sjmartin79

sjmartin79 White Phoenix of the Crown

Since it's called New Donk City, will we get a Donkey Kong cameo? Also, the style of dress for the people is a huge style throwback, kinda like Black and White original King Kong movie.

These days, because of Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong is a hero and lives in the jungle. Back in the day, he was the villain. Maybe in New Donk City, Donkey Kong kinda rules over the city and isn't the nice guy like DKC. Any chance this is a throwback to the original Donkey Kong game? Maybe we'll see a construction site Mario has to traverse to get a star?
    • Like Like x 2
  17. mattavelle1

That would be so awesome to kinda see a DK / Bowser team up on Mario. DK being the boss of NDC, while Bowsers the overlord all fancy in his nice badass tux.

Really cool idea, crazy I remember the days when DK was a barrel throwing bad guy.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Shoulder

Wait, it's actually called New Donk City?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=donk

Or if you some Hollywood mixed in:

• Like Like x 3
  19. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

• Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  20. CitizenOfVerona

I actually dislike all the people saying this is "Mario 2006". I find it weird with the realistically proportioned humans, but did they not see the rest of the trailer with the more Mario-esque levels?

Also that face Mario makes when he dances can fuck off into a fire. It's creepy.

I probably said my feelings on the game before, but after the last few Mario games (both 2D and 3D) Mario isn't a system seller for me anymore. I'm sure this will be fine and all that, but he's been playing it really safe for so long that while I'm sure this new one will be fun, I don't know if it'll be all that different when you get down to it.

That said, I'm excited to see them go back to more opened levels like 64.
    • Like Like x 1
  21. sjmartin79

And 2 signs below that New Donk City sign is a sign for "Diddy's Mart" on Dixie Street. Also, the license plate on the cabs say "New Donk City" where on our cars it would list our state.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  22. BobSilencieux

BobSilencieux Well-Known Member

This is the first Mario game for a really long time that has got me genuinely excited. Like, Galaxy levels of excitement. NSMBWii, NSMBU, 3DLand, 3DWorld... it's been a long list of duds as far as I'm concerned, but this game looks incredible.
    • Like Like x 2
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  23. Shoulder

Plot twist: Bowser is a puppet for Donkey Kong, as well as Diddy Kong, who are puppets for King K. Rool.

Secondary Plot Twist: This is Retro's title
    • LOL LOL x 4
  24. Shoulder

If Mario Odyssey were based on real life:

• LOL LOL x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

[​IMG]

You'r welcome.
    • LOL LOL x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • smh... smh... x 1
  26. EvilTw1n

EvilTw1n Necessary Evil Staff Member Moderator

Was wondering where this gif came from.

[​IMG]
    • LOL LOL x 4
  27. DarkDepths

DarkDepths Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord

I noticed one of the street signs said "krool"
    • Like Like x 3
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  28. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I can't help but imagine Donkey Kong showing up as a mafia Boss.
    • Like Like x 2
    • LOL LOL x 1
  29. SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar Hero of the Wastes

There's a certain beautiful energy in Mario running around in clearly fully realized 3D worlds in HD. Something that was missing from the fantastic but limited Super Mario 3D World.

Now, from a financial perspective, I am interested if Nintendo is going to abandon 2D Mario entirely. I think there's a feeling amongst a lot of gamers that Super Mario Maker was basically the definitive 2D Mario title. Nintendo surely won't port that game unless it comes out this Summer, right? Which is seeming less likely by the day.

Anyway, obviously there's a lot riding on the success of Odyssey, not just for Mario but for Nintendo as a whole.
    • Like Like x 3
  30. sjmartin79

I hope for Mario (and me) that successful 3D games don't prevent Nintendo from doing a great 2D game in the future, the same way I still want top-down Zeldas, no matter how phenomenal BotW is.
    • Like Like x 4
  31. SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar Hero of the Wastes

I agree. I like variety in my Nintendo games.

I will be upset if there's no more traditional dungeon based, more linear 3D Zelda titles like Ocarina of Time-Skyward Sword.
  32. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I hope that Nintendo breaks the "Super Mario" franchise into three distinct types of games: Traditional 2D Platformers (alebit a bit less bland that the NSMB series), experimental 2D/3D hybrids like 3D world/Land, and expansive HUB based Mario's like Mario 64 and Sunshine.
    • Like Like x 4
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  33. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I guess I should clarify my point a bit more than I did. The reason I wan't Nintendo to split the series into three versions (two at the minimum) is so that they can focus exclusively on the strengths and styles that each of those versions offer rather than force the two together and sacrifice many of the strongest points in compromise.. Sidescrolling Mario's tend to be best when they focus on pure platforming, broken up into small levels and ultra linear that are connected by a map screen; temporary powerups and level specific trials suit these games well. 3D Mario's on the other hand I would argue are at their best when traversal, exploration, open ended gameplay, and even touches of story are thrown in; Hub's suit these games far better in both terms of gameplay and context.
    • Like Like x 4
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  34. MarioFan101

MarioFan101 New Member

Man... I am super excited for Super Mario Odyssey and I am a huge fan of platforming games. I was browsing YouTube in my excitement after the announcement of Super Mario Odyssey and came across this really interesting analysis video. These 3 guys dissect the trailer for like an hour and 30 minutes, kind of crazy how many details they have caught, was a fun watch. You guys should check it out -

I know it might be a bit long for some people, but I personally watched it all way through with a few breaks here and there. What do you guys think of this?
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  35. mattavelle1

Welcome to TNE MarioFan! If you need anything just ask
    • Like Like x 2
  36. MarioFan101

MarioFan101 New Member

Thanks man =D Glad to be here, exciting times ahead!

P.S. How do I change my avatar??
    • Like Like x 2
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  37. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

Hey MarioFan, welcome to TNE! You have to go to your profile by clicking on your name, then click on your avatar to get the option to change it. You weren't able to do it when you had just registered due to a bug in the system with new members, but I fixed it so you should be able to do it now, along with your signature.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  38. Shoulder

With regards to the 2D Mario idea, I wonder if maybe the time has come to move on from that, and maybe stick with 3D Mario titles from this point on. Not saying the 2D Mario games don't have their place, because they very much do. I only wonder what else Nintendo could do in terms of a new 2D title that is not Mario. I'd honestly like to see a retro Metroid title (you know, the REAL Metroidvania?) as a 2D sidescroller again, but with modern graphics.

This was my idea for a new Metroid title years ago with it being a 2.5D title ala Donkey Kong Country Returns, and using the same engine. All full-bodied Samus moments are in 2D, but when you're in morph ball mode, its like those moments in DKCR where the barrel sequences turn into this 2.5D look and feel. I would love to see that for Metroid.

Hell, we got another 2D Zelda title in the form of A Link Between Worlds, and Nintendo has done the same for Kirby, Mario, and later this year, Pikmin. I'd like to see other franchices get the 2D treatment, but with a modern feel to them.
    • Like Like x 1
  39. CitizenOfVerona

I really hope Nintendo having one system going ahead doesn't mean they neglect 2D Zelda anymore. Would love to have a HD top down Zelda.
    • Like Like x 2
  40. Shoulder

Well, one of the major benefits of having an all-in-one system for Nintendo is they no longer have to split teams based on handheld or console work. Everything is under one roof, which is precisely what they did a few years ago when they merged their handheld and console divisions. Nintendo have been planning this for years, and I think between the Switch, the partnership with nVidia for their hardware, and the merging of the console and handheld divisions, it is easier and more likely than ever for teams to make multiple games on the same system ,but with two different concepts and themes behind them.

For example, remember when Metroid Prime came out, and around the same time, Metroid Fusion also launched? I feel we are in a better position than ever to have a repeat of that, but this time on the same system. Two games from the same franchise, but in two different play methods and atmospheres.

I also like to think that Retro Studios is in a better position now to split into two teams, and develop two games at the same time.
    • Like Like x 3
  41. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

For a time between the N64 and the Wii that was the case, then came around New Super Mario Bros for the DS and the massive success that came with it. I would argue that Nintendo should always give that market some service, because it is one of their largest; however I don't want them to ever lose their way again like they did with the NSMB series.

I get the impression that Nintendo initially never expected the series to do as good as it did, and mistook the games success as something that should be the template for all of their later Mario games rather than merely supporting the audience that had long been neglected; resulting in the art style, simplicity, map system and the like overtaking all of the Mario games since then until now.

I just want real Metroid game again. 2D, 3D, 2.5D, it does not matter; just give me the core gameplay, immersion and atmosphere that we have been denied for the last 10 years. Ideally when (If) Nintendo brings back the Metroid series they will support multiple of these versions. I love the platforming of classic Metroid, and I love the FPS (FPA if you want to be pretentious) gameplay Metroid Prime; I will happily buy both if they are done right.
    • Like Like x 4
  42. sjmartin79

Yes, me too! I think there is a place for both.

What I would love is an honest to goodness sequel to Super Mario World. There was something about that game. Something special and magical that I haven't experienced in a 2D Mario games since then.
    This morning in the shower, I was singing "Su-per Mar-i-o World. Super Mario World, it's a blast from the past. In Super Mario World, you've got to move fast. Mario and Luigi - are doing what they can. Yoshi and the Princess are giving them a hand." (I think that was the theme song to the cartoon and not something I made up.) But it just made me remember how much I loved that game.
    • Like Like x 1
  43. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

Im not excited about this game at all. It's not the game, I guess it's me. I didn't enjoy 3D world very much and this one isn't going to be a system seller to me. That city stuff is too weird for me too. It might be all right but I'm not sold. If it's hub world, I may enjoy it though
    • Like Like x 1
  44. Jack Lovejoy

Jack Lovejoy Active Member

Accurate Representation of Mario 06
  45. Socar

Socar Active Member

Ok people....look...Super Mario odyssey is never going to end up like Sonic 06. The reason why Sonic 06 is what it ended up being is because the game was rushed, at the time, Sonic team lacked the talent to make a Sonic game in the 3D era and it was around the time that SEGA was clueless of what to do without Yuji Naka. Not to mention that SEGA just had no idea what to do from this point as it was the dark era for SEGA around that time.

Odyssey will NEVER end up like that because the game is properly planned out for one thing, There is a dedicated team working on the game and even if someone very important to the game like suddenly passes out or something that bad happens( Which I very much doubt it), Nintendo will make sure that the game's production will go smoothly just as how they did for Botw.

So please for the love of god, STOP claiming that it'll end up like Sonic 06. If anything, it will teach SEGA how Sonic 06 SHOULD have been instead of what it ended up being!

And Jim I swear, you troll over things that don't even need that much of trolling to begin with
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  46. FriedShoes

I agree, Sonic has and always will suck.
    That said, the Sonic 06 comparisons are merely jokes, nothing anyone is saying seriously. Its all because of the beginning of the trailer. Only notable thing about Sonic 06 is its realistic, human reality setting, which is where's Mario finds himself in one of the games worlds or levels or whatever. Just a passing joke, since we can see he goes through a variety of worlds that have different styles to them.
    The game is pretty much finished, its obvious they are holding it back for a second wind of sales during the holiday.
    And I wouldnt call BOTW's development smooth at all, but thats just me.
    • Like Like x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
  47. Jack Lovejoy

Jack Lovejoy Active Member

Alright then, my mistake. Its actually similar to the more cartoonish Sonic Adventure

Heck, Mario even gets a spindash in the trailer.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  48. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

• Like Like x 2
  49. FriedShoes

Spoilers: This game will be more linear than you think.
    Dont believe Nintendo's lies. I dont know what they mean when they say Sandbox, but y'all setting yourselves up for a grand slam of disappointment.
    • Like Like x 1
  50. Koenig

Koenig The Architect