Official Super Mario Odyssey Thread - "Woohoo!"

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by Shoulder, Jan 17, 2017.

1. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 Fly to the treasure chest and back Staff Member Moderator

I admittedly loved the Jaxi. I spent a few hours getting some Jaxi moons and it put me in the “extreme Mario platforming” mood. Stuff like that turns my crank and prepares me for what’s to come.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. FriedShoes

FriedShoes MLG Staff Member Moderator

I love the Jaxi as well, I want to use it more
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

If Jaxi had a jump button he would be amazing. But he's still fun to use for me. Now the scooter, that thing hardly works at all in Metro City because of how many obstacles there are all over the place.

By the way I also "beat" the game. Somehow I knew they'd do that thing they did at the end right from the start, but I had forgotten about it so it still caught me by surprise. It was pretty cool. What really caught me off-guard, though, was the Dark Souls level. I really wish that had been a full level rather than just the boss (even though the boss was amazing), because it was cool as hell.
  4. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I have the game now! I was able to squeeze in about an hour before work, and nabbed myself around 30 moons in the desert.
    • Like Like x 2
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  5. simplyTravis

simplyTravis "A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

Well, I would not be surprised if Mario Odyssey is game of the year now. It will be close between this and Breath of the Wild. The sheer insane and intense joy I've felt playing this game makes me wish it wasn't over. The great thing is...it really isn't! I can't believe the game really isn't over when it's over. Great job Nintendo.

Now onto XC2! 2017 is the best year to be a Nintendo gamer ever!
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

So far, Mario Odyssey is (almost) EXACTLY what I have been wanting from Mario for the better part of a decade and a half! I am loving it so far (now if only I could find the time to actually play it more)
    • Like Like x 2
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  7. Goodtwin

Goodtwin Well-Known Member

I love the freedom and playground aspect of Mario Odyssey. There is a ton of talk about this game, and the response has been overwhelming positive. There will certainly be a huge debate about game of the year, and it will likely come down to Zelda BoTW and Mario Odyssey. I cant think of another game on any platform that will be a serious threat to these heavyweights. For me Zelda typically edges out Mario. I love a good adventure. If I had to say what game blew me away more in the first hour of play, Zelda BoTW is hands down my preferred experience. They are both fabulous, and this is a ridiculous year one for Switch.

Mario has his typical move set that dates back to Mario 64, but Cappy is offering a more advanced move set for those that wish to learn them. The new mechanics are going to be a welcome addition for those who have been playing Mario for years. I think we are going to see videos of people pulling off some ridiculous moves in this game.

If Zelda BoTW is open air, then Mario Odyssey is a slew of massive playgrounds to play in. People are comparing it to Mario 64 quite a bit, but I think it separates itself from that game in a big way. Mario 64 was structured with very specific objectives to complete. Odyssey is pretty much explore the sandbox at your leisure.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I am really enjoying the game. I have my nitpicks with it (I mean, of course I do) , but as a whole this is still an A+ game in my book.
    • Like Like x 5
  9. BobSilencieux

BobSilencieux Well-Known Member

I have nitpicks. Well, probably just the one nitpick really. Some of the moons are just wholly, utterly, stupidly impossible to ever discover without a guide. Like, I could play the game for an hour a day, every day for the rest of my life, just hunting for these particular moons, and I would still never figure out a couple of them.

That's the only bad thing I have to say about it.
  10. mattavelle1

I think that’s where we’re at with Nintendo now tho Sir Bob.

You can now fire up a single player game for 1 hour a day everyday for the rest of your life and you will have something to find. And you may never find it, but there giving you a reason to fire it up.

So let’s think about this. Used to you would play Mario64 (just examples I’m not comparing). Those are very objective based game click on this mission, do this objective, get the star and get out. But once you beat Bowser really what reason was it to fire it up again? (now I know some people would just like to run around and play in the levels but there was nothing “left to get”).

Now Nintendo seems to be switching weather it be korok seeds in BotW, or moons in Mario. The reason to go back and play or fire it up for 1 hour everyday for the rest of your life is that there is still something important to find. Nintendo is no longer in the single player business that you beat the game one time and put it on the shelf. Or you beat it and have no reason to go back and play it so you trade it in.

They have found a way and packed these games so full of content that you will fire it up for years to come, giving even single player games huge replay ability instead of one and dones.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Shoulder

Shoulder Beardy McShoulder chippin' In...

On the bright side, it means you'll still be playing it when you're old and decrepit, and shitting in your adult diaper before you're able to make it to the toilet on time. :mthumb:
    • LOL LOL x 2
  12. FriedShoes

No shame in using Talkatoo

Or the Hint Toad ( I will shame you on this tho)
    • LOL LOL x 1
  13. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

14. sjmartin79

sjmartin79 White Phoenix of the Crown

I'm definitely trying to take my time with this game. I am only up to
    Bowser's Kingdom
    , and I have 440 moons.
    Part of me just wants to go-go-go, but the other part wants to savor every last moment of this.
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  15. Goodtwin

Let me put my helment on, maybe till body armor is required. I finished the story last night, I have about 270 moons, and I have mixed feelings with this game. Is it possible to believe a game is fantastic and overrated at the same time?

The levels are bigger than ever, but I can't help but feel they are too few of them. Yes they are loaded with Moons, but this sort of feels like Korok hunting in BoTW or finding all the collectibles in Banjo Kazooie.

I love the freedom, but miss some of the structured challenge of Mario 64 and Galaxy. I felt like obtaining all the stars in those games was challenging, where Odyssey is sort of daunting. Not because of the quantity, but because you are going on blind on many of them. I collected all the stars in Mario 64 many times in my life, both Galaxies at least once. I'm not sure Odysssey can keep my interest to track down hundreds of hidden moons. Because of this, the game feels a little short on content unless you are into collectathons.

Is Odyssey fantastic? Yes! Is it better than Galaxy and Mario 64 (relative to its time)? Right now I say it comes up a bit short.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I generally agree with all of this. I for one LOVE the game, but I do miss the more structured levels from Sunshine/64, the worlds are fantastic, but there are also too many that are too small and to few of them as a whole. It is also missing a ton of mario characters/enemies that I have come to expect from the series.

I wouldn't necessarily say it is short of 64 or Galaxy relative to its time, but it is missing some of the elements that I had hoped to see make a return. Either way, this is light-years beyond the bog standard we got in "New Super Mario Bros" and "3D Land/World" games.
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  17. sjmartin79

I do like the fact that getting some of the moons makes you think. Like talking to someone, they don't say, "This is what you need to do to get the moon." They may say, "We need more ingredients for this soup." Thus, finding and bringing the ingredients will get you the moons. But you could just hear it and keep going, totally ignoring that they are giving you a challenge.

And I will say that because of the way I play Zelda games, exploring everywhere and examining everything obsessively, I like getting rewarded for it. If they took the time to put a set piece in the game, there is a reason for it.

But I will say there are some of the moons that I stumble on by accident that I've been like "What? How was anyone supposed to know that that would have been there?" So I can see some of the frustration.
    • Like Like x 2
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  18. mattavelle1

I’m very much in line with this. Actually I’m in 100% agreement reading over this post again.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I quite like the micro quest like systems in this game, I just wish there were more "big quests" for moons or an equivalent. As is, the moons are much more like Blue coins from Super Mario Sunshine than any of the Stars in previous games.
  20. BobSilencieux

I actually feel like there are plenty (aka an abundance) of more structured challenge stages. Pretty much every time you go down a pipe, or in a hat door, or up in a rocket, you're presented with a challenge stage that, for me, is a perfect sized section of tricky platforming reminiscent of Sunshine's Fludd-less sections, or some other more structured challenge. And there are always two moons in these sections - one that you're meant to get, and one that requires a little extra skill or ingenuity from the player.
    • Like Like x 3
  21. sjmartin79

I love when I get the second moon on those challenge sections. Especially on the ones that require some skill or exploration. Makes me feel like I really earned that one.
    • Like Like x 3
  22. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

I 100% prefer the variety of gameplay mechanics in this game over everything in any other Mario game. In this game you have challenges that test your speed, your knowledge of Mario's jumps (a moon that can only be reached by a backflip into walljump), your precision (hitting the shining birds in the middle of the air), your ability to search and find things (the five moon shards), whether you're paying attention to little details in the game (Sphinx quizzes), your ability to notice things that look out of place (birds gathering in one place could mean there's a moon there), and on and on. Not a single type of activity overstays its welcome, which means I eat up these moons like they are bottomless chips and salsa at the Mexican restaurant. It's just crack to me.

It's true that having more variety does mean any single type of gameplay doesn't get pushed to its limits the way that straight platforming gets pushed to its limits in 3D World or Super Meat Boy. But I've played a variation of that game a hundred times from my childhood to this point, so I'm very content with Odyssey choosing to give me an incredible variety rather than a single type of experience. Talking to GoodTwin and Matt the other day, I hit on this idea that Odyssey and BotW both feel to me like they're no longer "the sushi of videogames," but rather each is like a banquet.

That's what I now want Prime 4 to be, by the way. Not just another sequel to Prime 1, but a banquet of all types of Metroid experiences.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  23. FriedShoes

everyone needs to get their gamecubes out, pop in Sunshine, play it to completion, and then come back and try to spout nonsense like "blue coins" and "comes up a bit short in comparison". Y'all crazy.
    • Like Like x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
  24. Goodtwin

I guess for me the structured part of 3D Mario games always lent to a great deal of gameplay, and the extra content was optional, but so much within reach that you are enticed to get all those stars. Mario 64 required 70 stars to enter the final Bowser stage, and I believe a similar ratio applied to Galaxy. Galaxy 2 brought on the addition of green stars to find once you obtained all the gold stars, and I kind of liked this strategy. I feel like that offers a sense of completion, but then opens up additional content for those who are compelled to seek them out. I never felt compelled to find all the green stars in Galaxy 2, and Mario Odyssey feels like 80% of the content is made up of green star content. I'm not compelled to stop playing yet, so who knows, my opinion may be much different a week or two from now, but right now I feel like the meat and potatoes of this game offers a 10-15 hour experience for myself.
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  25. BobSilencieux

I have to say I am absolutely loving all the little references and homages to past Mario games. Last night I found Rosalina and it was just such a great little moment.
    • Like Like x 2
  26. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

Your right, Sunshine was even better than Odyssey.

:mmischief:
    • Like Like x 1
  27. Goodtwin

I was wrong on the stars being Koroks, but a ton of the rewarding stars become accessible after beating the story. I think that's my gripe, the story didn't offer enough challenge nor did the journey last long enough. I guess I just wish they had made the journey a bit longer. There is at least a few dozen hours of legitimate star questing challenges to be had.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
    • Like Like x 2
  28. mattavelle1

I wanna take a second to write you the fine ladies and gentlemen a thank you letter.

Y’all are to awesome! There are people here who have not gotten a switch or had the chance to play Odyssey yet and you have kept the game in this thread spoiler free. I have mad respect for each one of you guys respect for your fellow poster when it comes to there blackouts and what they do and don’t wanna see.

2 games now BotW and SMO are games that I had only seen the first trailor and went on blackout from that point on. And I go in knowing nothing because of your respect for spoilers. No person could ask for a smart group of people to post with and I thank each one of y’all! :mthumb::mhug::mlove:

Now back to tha lecture at hand, perfection is perfected in that Super Mario land! From a young G’s perspective :msilly:

But really what can be said about Nintendo and just cranking out Mario Odyssey and this new next gen gameplay 2.0? Really what can be said? These guys have lost there minds. This game is insane, outta bounds and I really don’t even know what else to say. This new Nintendo man, we are in great hands for a good long while.

Next gen gameplay is greater than any power.
    • Like Like x 2
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  29. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I also found the story to be a bit lackluster. It felt like the game was rushing me to get to the post game, at which point it said to go collect Korok Moons to entertain myself. I am actually fine with the main story being so short/easy, but I would have liked to see more "missions" beyond ousting Bowsers minions in each kingdom. I wanted to see more setups like:

the ancient statue under the Sand Kingdom that froze the place over in retaliation, or the flower machine in Steam gardens; especially if they had larger or more branching stories that revealed more info as it went on. For example, the "Binding band" that the ancient statue was angry about magically re-appears after your beat the game; however I originally thought that it would be a post game quest in which Mario could return the ring, restore the statue (making it friendly) and perhaps unlock more story related content in the Sand Kingdom as a result. As is, most levels are split into a pre and post game state rather than opening up organically. There is nothing really wrong about the way it is setup now, but I feel it could have been much more interesting with a little more effort put into context and story.
    • Like Like x 1
  30. FriedShoes

I didnt mind the speedy story because I found the kingdoms themselves to be very rich with character. I thought the same thing about the
    too Koenig, but I was ok with the post-game differences. I think the whole point of the kingdoms was to establish the culture and characters and so when the whole thing is resolved seeing how they play with those aspects after was fun to me.
    I though the story was satsifying enough. Listen, nothing is gonna be Galaxy territory with how fucking strange it is. This is better than most attempts and has far more satisfying story moments than pretty much every Mario game. imo.
    • Like Like x 2
  31. FriedShoes

oh weird, if you just type spoiler it will spoiler everything after lmao
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  32. sjmartin79

One of the things I loved about this game is that even though we’re going to all these “Kingdoms”, we’re only going to specific cities in each. Which means that for a sequel we could go to other areas in each Kingdom not seen in this game, or other Kingdoms like the one from Sunshine.
    • Like Like x 2
  33. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

Although I am sad that isle Delfino was not one of the kingdoms we could travel to, I do greatly appreciate that Nintendo put the island on the map (although good luck finding it). It gives me hope for DLC or an expansion to include the area as a throw back.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1