Official The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild thread - "open your eyes"

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by simplyTravis, Dec 7, 2014.

1. simplyTravis

simplyTravis "A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

So, I'm absolutely excited about the new Zelda game. I enjoyed the first sort of scripted gameplay elements from the original show of the game but the new stuff just made it real for me.

The backgrounds in this game scream Xenoblade from a technical standpoint in my opinion. The way they have things laid out, the aerial perspective haze, and little technical tricks seem to be in place in a similar fashion. The game map itself gives me a Skyrim type feel but hopefully will be a bit easier to work with due to it being on the Gamepad at all times and with the zooming feature. I'm not saying that Zelda is copying either style, however, but rather that they have similar characteristics which is a positive note in my book seeing as those two games are definitely in my top 5.

Speaking of the backgrounds. @juegosmajicos made a comment about parasailing via the cloth in the Community Thread that made me really excited. I think being able to glide off of cliffs would really make Skyrim more fun. This would be true for this game.

[​IMG]

Another thing that gets me excited and maybe thinking this one will harken back to the original Zelda is this (from Scott Ramsoomair's Twitter...the guy that does VGCats)

New Trailer, New Name

(Superior Japanese Trailer)
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 7
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2016
  2. FriedShoes

FriedShoes MLG Staff Member Moderator

ASuch called the OG Zelda first, proof incoming.
    I'm not as excited as most but still very much looking forward to the game. Just look at how he went off and found that dungeon! That alone speaks volumes.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 3
  3. Mr-Chris

Mr-Chris -Smashing!-

The hype is real
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 4
  4. CJTorrellas

CJTorrellas Member

That map is insanely huge, like the original Zelda in a sort of way, finally.
    • Like Like x 3
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  5. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

I feel like this is the Zelda game I've been waiting for the past decade and a half. I'm sorry for the people that don't value exploration that highly, cause that seems to me to be the focus of this game.

I know I'm setting myself up for an epic failure - or an epic win?
    • Like Like x 4
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 4
  6. Shoulder

Shoulder Beardy McShoulder chippin' In...

Someone on the IGN Wii U forum roughly calculated the size of the map using what he saw on screen as a baseline and compared it to the map on the Gamepad. He came up with around 40-43km^2 (about 28mi^2), which is not bad for a Zelda game.

Granted, what we saw on the Gamepad may or may not have been the entire overworld of the game, so we have to keep that in mind.
    • Like Like x 5
  7. EvilTw1n

EvilTw1n Necessary Evil Staff Member Moderator

The art style looks marvelous. The dismount-into-combat is cool, and the animations are nice for it. I'm hyped. More hyped than I was at Skyward Sword's reveal, and I ended up loving that game.
    The GamePad is the only underwhelming thing thus far. An interactive map? What is this, a Ubisoft game? I'm hoping that they have more tricks up their sleeve. I'd assume they're leaving the real wow-factor stuff for E3.

But if a map is all we end up with? That'll be the disappointment to end all disappointments. If Zelda won't creatively use the GamePad, then no game will prove its worth.
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  8. FriedShoes

its using its gyro for some items, like the telescope and bow, seems to be about it so far besides obvious stuff like item management and note-taking. Dont know what they could possibly add in, you got any cool ideas?

Speaking of motion though, now's the time to fight: How y'all feel that motion control sword fighting is dead? I know a good sane few of us couldnt be happier

#AntiSSCrew
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Aki

Aki Well-Known Member

I'm as excited as ever for the latest Zelda game. While the video didn't contribute to the hype for me, 5 minutes of horse riding isn't really my thing, the graphics and art style certainly did. I've been reading a lot of comments comparing this game to the og Zelda and I agree with them. I'm also happy about that because the og Zelda game is one of my favorites. I still think that the size of the map is being blown out of proportion. It certainly will not be comparable to Skyrim and rightly so. I never understood this want for a bigger map in Zelda games. The size of the maps has never bothered me since they were always filled with a bunch of collectibles and things to do. I'd certainly welcome a bigger map, but if it doesn't add anything aside from a bunch of space, I don't see the point of it.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. CitizenOfVerona

CitizenOfVerona Spectacular Staff Member

I mentioned this to a few people and they disagree with me, but I stand by it.

I hope this overworld gives me a reason to explore. After Twilight Princess being empty, and Skyward Sword being more smaller and dungeon-like in it's design, I really hope Zelda U had lots of hidden caves and such.

I was really amazed with A Link Between Worlds. It was the most extensive I explored Hyrule, I believe I was only missing 2 heart pieces in the end; found all 100 squids, etc. I essentially want that in 3D, where every screen or section of the map was worth investigating and exploring.

My first Zelda games were Ocarina and Majora, both had good overworlds with stuff to do, especially Majora. So to me, exploring is very important in Zelda.

Make it happen Nintendo.
    • Like Like x 5
  11. nerdman

nerdman pig's gotta fly

I have mixed impressions.

The controls seem like a big step backwards. Going from pointer aiming to gamepad aiming...

Will combat be like Wind Waker and Twilight Princess? If so, better get this controller out again

[​IMG]

I want to be excited for the world. I'm glad it's a central mass again. The last Zelda game like that was Twilight Princess and it was highly criticized for being empty. Now the world is 10 times bigger...

I've heard it phrased that Zelda is going back to its roots. The NES game had something to do on every screen. It was dense. It's an advantage of 2D game design.

This new world reminds me of Elder Scrolls, where they prioritize realistic scenery over functionality. It's awesome at first, but it's not long before I'm quick traveling places.

I'm hoping I'm wrong about that, and the world has a puzzle element throughout. If I see a place in ES, I'll simply go there. If I see a place in Zelda Wii U, I hope it's "how do I get there?"
    • Like Like x 5
  12. Jacesonnall

Jacesonnall Bruh

I wouldn't expect much from the GamePad for this type of game. Pretty sure a map on the screen and tedious but optional features are the best we'll get out of it. GamePad features were the last thing I was hoping to see shown off. In fact, I wasn't even thinking about how they might show it off and when they did, it, as expected, underwhelmed.

In my opinion, the GamePad shines better in party and racing games. When it comes to action games, I'm not sure I want to be shifting my hands a lot anyway.

Other than that, after seeing that gameplay trailer, I feel like I'm going to play the shit out of this game.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. teamdelibird

teamdelibird The Delibird-Type Gym leader

My hype for this game is nuts. I know the world seemed bare to me, but at the same time.... the original Zelda's overworld was bare until you found all it's hidden secrets. Imagine if a few of those trees Epona ran past could be chopped or burned down to reveal massive secret labrynths....
    • Like Like x 3
  14. EvilTw1n

Lock picking mini game for dungeons (instead of getting keys, you use a lock picking set, which you have to upgrade).

Give Link a magic wand, with its attacks linked to drawing shapes on the GamePad to cast spells.

Set bombs/mines by pressing a spot on the map, then lead moblins into a booby trap.

Draw points on the map where you can send reinforcements, in case a town comes under attack and you're not close enough to get there.

Hold up the GamePad for an alternate view that changes the color spectrum and allows you to see Poes.

Better yet, hold up the GamePad and press each of the four shoulder buttons to act as a view changer - possibly like putting on different masks that Link acquires - in which each view shows you different secrets (sort of like visors from Prime).
    -One can reveal underground labyrinths
    -One shows weak spots in walls
    -One flips the time of day and acts as a time portal to what happened the night or day before (which shows in real time how things in the past are effecting the present).

Or, y'know, put the map on it.

If Nintendo can't be arsed to exploit the GamePad in the biggest killer app it has left? Then they might as well give up and sell the Wii U with a Pro controller.
    It's not surprising that some of you don't have a proper soul.
    • Like Like x 3
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 3
    • LOL LOL x 1
  15. Shoulder

We saw about thirty second of Gamepad related stuff, and suddenly people are drawing up conclusions of what Zelda Wii U will feature towards the Gamepad? Come on, TNE. You're better than this.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. EvilTw1n

Man, it's almost 2015. I've waited long enough to have the GamePad revealed as something more than a placemat for Amiibo.
    • LOL LOL x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  17. FriedShoes

Go play ZombiU and Game and Wario yah punks
    • LOL LOL x 2
  18. EvilTw1n

Survival/horror isn't my bag, but I've been enjoying Deus Ex:HR. But pointing to G&W is like pointing to NintendoLand. I like minigames, but they're like appetizers, not a replacement for the main course. I want my Zelda with all the trimmings.

But I don't wanna derail Trav's thread here. So here's some (mediocre) stills of 'dat world.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I can't wait to see some direct feed stuff.
    • Like Like x 3
  19. CitizenOfVerona

CitizenOfVerona Spectacular Staff Member

Another thing I Zelda U does differently from Skyward is the side kick character. I hope they don't have one.

And if they do have one, let me skip repeating text lines, or don't interrupt me 25 hours into the game telling me my heart counter is low.

Fucking Fi
    • LOL LOL x 3
  20. EvilTw1n

[​IMG]
    • LOL LOL x 6
  21. Ex-Actarus

Ex-Actarus Well-Known Member

I'm very hyped for the game.
    This is my most anticipated game of 2015, not even close...
    • Like Like x 5
  22. Juegos

If they're going to give up motionPlus, they need to do a lot of awesome stuff with the gamepad. I won't pretend that going back to Wind Waker gameplay (+gyroscope Bow!) is OK in any way.
    • Like Like x 4
  23. Cubits

Cubits Well-Known Member

But it also has the map sketching from phantom hourglass!
    • Like Like x 3
  24. Shoulder

Don't forget something you can blow into, but not in a sexual way.
    • Like Like x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
  25. nerdman

nerdman pig's gotta fly

Spirit Tracks had some great puzzles that used the stylus. For as much hate as that game gets, it had some of the best puzzles in Zelda.

And fuck side kicks. Let's get back to this.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  26. EvilTw1n

I admit, the first time I read this, I thought of this:

[​IMG]

Now there's a "modern" version of the original Zelda.

[EDIT: Disturbed minds think alike, nerd.]
    But...I can't close the GamePad in on itself for that part...
    Can't a guy just blow his ocarina and be left alone anymore?

[​IMG]
    • LOL LOL x 5
  27. Shoulder

If you can do this with your...ocarina, I'll be VERY impressed.
    • Like Like x 1
  28. FriedShoes

oh god, dont give them ideas now.
    • LOL LOL x 2
  29. simplyTravis

Haha, man, I haven't gotten any notifications on this thread today so I thought it was dead in the water. Oh me of little faith. I made it because I noticed Zelda was taking over the Community Thread and I know we need some diversification every now and then.

Anyway, I'm actually mostly excited for the mapping option on the Gamepad. I get so tired of dealing with sidequests and maps on multiple screens in an RPG. I also want to be able to take notes on each side quest!
    • Like Like x 3
  30. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I hope they fix the clipping problem Link's clothing is having with the shield, though they left the same problem untouched in Skyward Sword is regards to his hat.

Other than that, I can't come up with a complaint right now. What we have seen so far looks good, and I have not seen anything else to detract from it. I just hope, like those who have posted before me, that the world is not as "Empty" as Twilight Princess (Though I personally thought it had enough secrets scattered about to keep my interest)
    • Like Like x 2
  31. BobSilencieux

BobSilencieux Well-Known Member

Oh damn, that ONE moment alone in Phantom Hourglass [was it the Sun Seal or am i making that up?] almost made the game worth playing. For me, that is what makes Zelda. Just some moments like that are all i want from Zelda U.

Well, an overworld like Xenoblade's wouldn't hurt either.
  32. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

Yes, That's what I want: An entire overworld working like a dungeon.

Indeed, ST and PH have great puzzles. I love both games.
  33. Ex-Actarus

Nintendo needs to find a middle ground here. We don't want Skyrim, but we don't want the emptiness of Twilight Princess either...
    • Like Like x 1
  34. sjmartin79

sjmartin79 White Phoenix of the Crown

I'm not worried. It was a 5 minute demo of a product that isn't due to come out for many months. I have faith that they'll fill out the world accordingly.
    • Like Like x 4
  35. Redhatdrawler

Redhatdrawler Active Member

very much looking forward to this. I love me some Zelda!
    • Like Like x 3
  36. Ex-Actarus

Another incredible analysis from GameExplain :

• Like Like x 2
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  37. EvilTw1n

Very good stuff. Interesting tech wonkery on the lighting and physics.
    • Like Like x 1
  38. Mr-Chris

Mr-Chris -Smashing!-

I just want to get lost in Zelda U's world already!
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  39. simplyTravis

OOOOH MAN! I just finished Skyward Sword! Now I feel like I can crack open that Hyrule Historia book!
    • Like Like x 3
  40. Ex-Actarus

I'm absolutely in love with everything I see until now. I see myself just going around for hours for non particular reason. I see myself jumping hundred of times of those tower :)

I remember during the legendary January 2013 Direct, It was said Nintendo would shake Zelda conventions. I hope they finally implement voiceover. I'm fine if Link is a silent protagonist, but man that would definitely not help the immersion in such fantastic world if you need to read everything and press the button each time.
    • Like Like x 1
  41. simplyTravis

I have no problems with reading in a game. I prefer subtitles because I tend to read faster than they can say it. I actually enjoy how Zelda handles the voices where there is some sort of audio cue to how their voice should sound because I can manufacture that in my head. I'm sure my wife would loooove voice acting compared to the audio cues. She avoids the living room when I play Zelda for those very reasons.

Honestly though..I hate voice acting when they say the same things over and over..it ruins immersion for me. I can only take so many arrows to the knee floating in the air.
    • Like Like x 2
  42. Aki

Aki Well-Known Member

I'd like to address to elephants in the room concerning the Zelda franchise.

1. Voice Acting - No way would I want voice acting in Zelda, at least definitely not for Link. I'm not sure about everyone else. I personally don't mind reading in games at all and I always turn on subtitles whenever the option is present. I just find it to be less time consuming. I also think that those quirky noises match the characters that they portray and just the Zelda world in general. I really like Link as a silent protagonist. Usually, when I play Zelda, I don't name my save file Link, but Aki. I like to think of myself as Link when playing the game so him having a voice, which would likely be Japanese would throw that off. I also feel that being silent fits Link. He's usually a lost soul thrust into this epic adventure, trying to find his meaning. Also, conversations are limited and whenever Link is in a conversation, he's always being told information, he's always learning. Him talking would ruin that perspective, which I think fits him quite nicely.

2. GamePad - I'm not sure what I want to them to do with the GamePad. As many here know, I'm not a big fan of the GamePad. I find it uncomfortable and just a nuisance, but I feel like they also can't just stick a map on it. Like Mike said, this is Nintendo's last chance to prove the GamePad with a killer app. Nintendo has already displayed the map on the GamePad with Wind Waker HD. I did play that game using the GamePad and found the map / inventory to be extremely helpful. My issue with using the GamePad to swap the inventory is that, if I remember correctly, the game pauses when you're swapping items out and you also have to take your eyes off of the screen. I've yet to play the game with the Pro Controller, will get around to that on my second playthrough, but it doesn't look like the GamePad makes it any faster. This is just nitpicking of a very minor part of the game on my part.

3. Combat - I simply can't go back to pressing the A button to attack after playing Skyward Sword. I've beaten three Zelda games since I've beaten Skyward Sword; Wind Waker HD, A Link Between Worlds, and Twilight Princess (GCN). None of those games made combat feel rewarding and unique like Skyward Sword did. Instead, I found myself simply button mashing my way through most enemies. Now, there is strategy required in those games when fighting certain enemies like the Lizafalos, but Skyward Sword made the majority of enemies require a strategy which I liked very much. I felt like it added a new dimension to the game. Motion combat just felt so natural. Mimicking using an actual bow and sword made me feel like I was Link even more than simply naming my character Aki. Pulling out the Master Sword in Skyward Sword was a dream come true for me and easily my most memorable video game moment ever.
    • Like Like x 4
  43. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

Hyrule Historia makes me wonder: Where on the Historia Zelda U is?

Voice. Hmmm

NO

NO

NO

NO

NO

NO

I'm sorry, nothing personal

but NO

and NO

:D
    • Like Like x 1
  44. hogge

hogge Active Member

Personally, I think that not using voice acting is archaic. Saying that not having voice acting as part of the Zelda formula is really strange. The franchise started out without VA because the tech wasn't available. In fact, it wasn't practical until Wind Waker came out. In fact, there have already been Zelda games with voice acting... sort of. The two Satellaview Zelda games had a dabble in it.

Games with dialogue and silent protagonists work really well. Look at Half-Life 2 or the later Fallout games. Of course, as is the case in Mass Effect, you should be able to skip dialogues or turn off the voices.

Voices just make the characters come alive in a way
    • Like Like x 1
  45. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 Fly to the treasure chest and back Staff Member Moderator

I don't mind voice acting as long as it's some form of gibberish like Midna. That keeps the fantasy world intact and it doesn't ruin what YOU think Link sounds like.
    • Like Like x 3
  46. EvilTw1n

[Skyward Sword spoilers ahead.]

They were clever with Link having a voice in SS. Hit the 4-minute mark and watch for about 30 seconds.

Link talks. Link has a voice. Link is not a heroic mute. We just don't have to hear him.

For other voice acting, I'm fine with gibberish and sub-titles, so long as the gibberish isn't overly repetitious. But I wouldn't mind full voice acting for the rest of the cast, either. I'm ambivalent on it.
    • Like Like x 4
  47. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 5
  48. EvilTw1n

• Like Like x 2
    • LOL LOL x 1
  49. Juegos

I said this in our last podcast last year, that I think it would be great if there was voice acting, but it was all in Hylian. Like Elvish and Black Speech in Lord of the Rings.
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  50. FriedShoes

Amiibo support is being planned for the game.
    Shulk Tunic/Monado confirmed
    • Like Like x 2