Post your controversial gaming opinion!

Discussion in 'TNE Forums Hall of Fame' started by Wolven, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr-Chris

Mr-Chris -Smashing!-

Not gunna lie, I found enjoyment out of Minecraft, I only got it because of friends on the 360 though. It was a lot of fun exploring the worl with my friends and chatting away. Getting blown up by creepers, trolling friends, getting materials, it's great. But hey, it's not for everyone.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

Fixed.

It is one of my favorite games.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

Apparently now it is more controversial to like Minecraft. So I'll go with that: Minecraft is a pretty good game, at least the two separate times I played it extensively (two different versions).
  4. Superfakerbros

Superfakerbros ECE 2018 Staff Member Moderator

I think the new Super Smash Bros on 3DS, from what I've played so far, is better than Melee
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  5. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

Are you talking about the demo or did you snag a review copy of the full game?
  6. sjmartin79

sjmartin79 White Phoenix of the Crown

I have a controversial gaming opinion about Smash Bros, but if I actually put it on here, I'll be shunned from the forums for all time...
    • Like Like x 2
    • LOL LOL x 2
  7. repomech

repomech resident remnant robot relic

Oh you don't care that much for Smash either? Say it! There's a few of us here I think (unless I've horribly misunderstood your post and you were actually just wishing that Smash featured characters from Fable and Halo instead, hehehe).
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I think smash bros is overrated, though I still enjoy it.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. sjmartin79

Nope, you're right. I've never been a fan. I can see the appeal, and I'm glad so many people like it and it sells well, but it's not on my list to buy. My niece and nephew like it. (I gave them my 3DS demo codes) And I'll play it with them when I'm at their house, but it's not something I've ever much cared for.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

I've never played it. For me it looks like you've got to have a looooooot of time to make your own things and then show to everybody.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Majorbuddah

Majorbuddah My real name is Dolemite

who even wants to see it though?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu Well-Known Member

minecraft is dumb because its a fucking waste of time.

Seriously you spend all that time building something and then it all comes tumbling down because notch was too lazy to design it properly >_>

Lol.

I also hate lego's
  13. Shoulder

Shoulder Beardy McShoulder chippin' In...

As much as I'm interested in getting Smash Bros for the Wii U, I was never a hardcore fan of it. During the N64 days I sure as hell was because I had my older brothers to play with, but when Melee came out, and I owned that, I hardly played it because I had no one to play it with. My brothers were off to college by around that time.

And then just last night when my roommate and one of his buddies were playing Smash Bros Brawl, all I did was sit there, watch on occasion, but mostly just surfed the web as they played. I had little interest in engaging, because they were playing against two CPU players.

Hopefully, Smash Bros for Wii U can respark that interest again.
  14. Mr-Chris

Mr-Chris -Smashing!-

You got me to lose to now Shoulder :cool:
  15. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I do not know how to respond to that. I was always under the impression that everyone loved Lego's.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

My main reason for getting Smash Bros is because it is the only game that literally all of my friends are interested in. I am less interested in the game itself as compared to its use as a bridge for social interaction.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. EvilTw1n

EvilTw1n Necessary Evil Staff Member Moderator

Heh, not only am I one of the rare Nintendo fans who isn't into Smash Bros, but I don't even really like Mario Kart, either. Those two games are supposed to be the big guns that spark the Wii U this year, but I couldn't care less about them. For me, they're the least interesting Nintendo franchises out there.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Mr-Chris

Mr-Chris -Smashing!-

Leave and never come back.

Okay come back, but I won't be happy.
    • Like Like x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
  19. EvilTw1n

[​IMG]
    • LOL LOL x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  20. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 Fly to the treasure chest and back Staff Member Moderator

First thing I thought of when @Mr-Chris posted what he did.
    • LOL LOL x 2
  21. Shoulder

This just in: @Mr-Chris is Gollum...or Smeagol...or both. Wait! They are one in the same!

[​IMG]
    • LOL LOL x 1
  22. Aki

Aki Well-Known Member

I'm coming at you guys with a few controversial opinions today.

First, unlike many people, I do NOT believe that Chrono Trigger is the greatest RPG on SNES. For me, it has to be either Final Fantasy II (IV) or Final Fantasy III (VI). I'd personally give the nod to FFII, but I could see VI getting more votes.

Second, like some users have said prior to me, Smash really isn't my cup of tea anymore. When I was grade school with my N64, I used to play Smash all of the time, regardless of if anyone was over or no. Same thing with Melee. When Brawl came out, I played the game for a few days and then strictly relegated it to playing with friends. Now, I live in Miami, far away from many of my childhood friends who have all grown on out of Nintendo and as a result, I will have very few people, if any, to play the game locally with.

Third, I'm usually a single player only type of dude. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy certain multiplayer games such as FIFA, Mario Kart, and Halo, but I rather prefer playing a single player game. Maybe, I'm just too old school or I've gotten too used to playing by myself during my college days and past. This could also be down to the fact that I've always enjoyed multiplayer games locally and with not having many locals to enjoy them with, I sort of strayed away from them.

Fourth and probably my least controversial opinion since I've been praising PS4 since before it even came out, I think that once it's all said and done PS4 will eclipse PS2 / SNES as the greatest system ever. Maybe not the PS2 in terms of sales, but it will have a better software library than both. Sony knocked it out of the park with PS4. It's a gamer's console and paradise.
    • Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  23. repomech

My favourite SNES JRPG is Secret of Mana. I love Chrono Trigger, but I've always felt it was more fun to experience than to play, if that makes any sense. I was never especially blown away by the combat system mechanics, (then again most of the "JRPGs" I play are either action or tactics/strategy - and now some Atlus dungeon crawlers). But the experience of Chrono Trigger is sublime.

I think you're crazy on Mario Kart, but hey, everyone has their own little slice of crazy.

The funny thing with Smash is, I booted up the 3DS demo - and it was... kind of fun. I still don't understand how most of it works, but I can see myself getting sucked(suckered?) into at least one copy of Smash at some point despite my ambivalence towards the franchise.
    • Like Like x 1
  24. EvilTw1n

I'm just a terrible person, y'know?

[​IMG]
    • LOL LOL x 4
  25. Superfakerbros

Superfakerbros ECE 2018 Staff Member Moderator

I think Super Mario 3D World is as good as Super Mario 64
  26. Wolven

Wolven The Wolf of TNE Street

Metroid Prime 2 > Metroid Prime
    • Like Like x 2
  27. FriedShoes

FriedShoes MLG Staff Member Moderator

Sheeeeeeiiit

Did I already make the video games arent art statement here? Well there it goes.
    Metroid is not a big 3 franchise, let alone big 5. The fanbase is wildly delusional.
    N64 is the worst console I own.
  28. sjmartin79

How about a controversial opinion about gamers? I have one of those.

I feel if a gamer doesn't own a specific console, they should not be allowed to critique anything related to said console from hardware to games to sales to advertising. Until you've got some skin in the game, your opinion is worthless to me.

It's like someone not voting in a general election but then complaining about how things are going in Washinton afterward.

Or someone Monday Morning Quarterbacking about their "favorite" team when they didn't even bother to watch the game.

Reading about something does not qualify as actual experience. Sorry.
    • Like Like x 2
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  29. MANGANian

MANGANian Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie

Final Fantasy VII is one of my least favourite Final Fantasy games. I love Final Fantasy IV and X the most, and if I was given a choice I'd choose the Final Fantasy Tactics series over the original.

I loved Skyward Sword despite its issues.
    I consider Super Mario Sunshine to be better than Super Mario 64.
    I'm not overly fond of the Metal Gear Solid and GTA franchises. Kojima is terrible at storytelling, but is very good at fourth wall and comedy.
    Naughty Dog fell from grace the moment they began making cinematic games (Uncharted, The Last of Us).
    • Like Like x 4
  30. Shoulder

Guess I'll chime in as well on a couple of things:

I think Skyward Sword is a very good Zelda game, and even loved the controls. Sure, there were some handholding issues, but the game overall was very well done. And dat music...

I played Biohock for the first time last year, and while I thought it was a good solid game, I never thought it was an "OMG" type game. It was a good game in its own right, but that's it. It never blew me away, nor did the Andrew Ryan story arc.
    • Like Like x 4
  31. isturbo1984

isturbo1984 Whoremonger & Cokefiend

Well... it didn't used to be controversial. But fanboyism. It used to be pretty unanimous among gamers that fanboys were idiotic and the blight of the industry for many reasons. But lately with the influx of modern gamers the CoD crowd and the Wii generation brought, the topic seems controversial now that so many "gamers" these days are largely ignorant fanboys. Fanboyism is stupid, anti-gaming and as a psychologist, I can safely tell you all that it is a thinking error that stems from one's own need to reinforce their likes and purchase decisions. It really sucks that so many of my gaming brothers and sisters are willing to call you stupid or tell you the games you love are "shit," just because they have hate. And what is worse, is a lot of foofy people these days treat those like me who dislike fanboys like we're trolls. Like saying "fanboy" is the same as saying f** or calling someone a c***. Crazy, crazy times this is to be a gamer. Hypocrisy everywhere.

Now I'm no fool. I've given this spiel many times. And many times it is met with backlash. That pretty much proves my point. If you disagree, you are probably just the fanboy I am speaking about (but not always). My only preemptive text is this: If you take offense, my only question is why? Explore that. If you are a self-proclaimed fanboy and are proud of it... then why take such offense to being called one? That never made any sense to me.

Anyways, it didnt used to be controversial. But I guess these views of mine seem to be now.
    • Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  32. thekiller7

thekiller7 The Seven and Only

Fuck Mass Effect and Bioware in general.
    I just don't like their type of games.
  33. 81jono81

81jono81 Active Member

Super Metroid has some serious design problems.

*Gets pelted with rocks and garbage*
    • LOL LOL x 6
  34. repomech

Okami is the greatest 3D Zelda game.
    • LOL LOL x 2
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  35. EvilTw1n

As the biggest Metroid apologist on the board...

...Super's bosses aren't all that.
    SHOTS FIRED!

[​IMG]
    • LOL LOL x 5
  36. GamingFreak1988

GamingFreak1988 The Platformer Guru

I'm not a fan of a LARGE portion of triple AAA games aimed at the 18+ male demographic. "high tails it outta here"
    • Like Like x 2
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  37. isturbo1984

isturbo1984 Whoremonger & Cokefiend

You and me both. Minecraft is a great game. Not everyone enjoys world of Warcraft or Destiny either. But they're are all games. We play them and have fun!... and others don't.--and have fun instead, trash talking games like Minecraft they wish they could afford or wish they had friends to play the games with, lol.

Not very many of those, I have noticed. But there is a shitton of M rated games targeted at the teenage male demograph, paraded as 18+ games. I too, find those boring and distasteful.
  38. Socar

Socar Active Member

For my first opinion here.....

You buy Nintendo systems to get Nintendo games and ONLY Nintendo games. You don't get their systems for third parties.

Let's face it, even if Nintendo maintains a good relationship or possibly the best relationship, there is noway that third party games can sell just as well as Nintendo games exclusively on Nintendo systems.

Look at the best 3DS Selling games out there. Nintendo games are topped the highest and the only few third parties out there are the ones that stand out particularly Monster Hunter and....i guess Yokoi Watch.

So what are you asking Nintendo here? To become lazy and not make quality games inorder for third parties to be encouraged? Because doing that will give you little to no reason to get Nintendo systems in the first place. Not to mention that it'll only embarrass the industry further with third parties being in shame.

Otherwise what? Make powerful systems? Doing that will be expensive to produce and not something that is easy to do.

Some say that Nintendo ought to go third party and to that I say, screw them for saying so. You have these games that were designed exclusively on their systems and now you want them to be on PC? Get real.

Even so, its still expensive to do so because I imagine that it needs accessories to make that happen and doing that on PCs is harder than doing it on Consoles because atleast on Consoles, you set the limits to yourself and that's that. Where's the limit in PC?

Yeah, that's my unpopular opinion
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  39. GaemzDood

GaemzDood Well-Known Member

Not gonna lie, I really don't wanna look at my old posts in this thread as I'm sure they're going to be ultra cringey.

I've become a bit of a contrarian lately.
    • Like Like x 1
  40. beatlesfan317

beatlesfan317 New Member

I'm tired of stupid lego games that only involve smashing something and then my character automatically building the puzzle solution from the smashed parts.

------------------------------------------------------------------
    Panic Mansion is a combination of a trivia game and an action-rpg. You must find your way through the Panic Mansion (like a panic room but a whole mansion) by completing quests, answering questions and defeating bosses at the end of each level.
  41. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

Nintendo is a fantastic game developer and publisher; but a TERRIBLE company. The latter has not always been the case.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  42. mattavelle1

Ok Ima do it.........

I wouldn't care if OoT and MM was ever made. That's how little impact they have on my gamin life.
  43. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

I think the weapon triangle in Fire Emblem holds that series back from greatness. The weapon triangle in Fire Emblem is a rock-paper-scissors system that functions like this: swords beat axes, axes beat spears, and spears beat swords; likewise with magic, fire beats wind, wind beats water, and water beats fire. This system, in my opinion, lessens the tactical depth of the game.

It's strange to me that the weapon triangle exists when Fire Emblem does pretty well for itself in terms of classes and weapon relationships. There are infantrymen, cavalry, armored knights, pegasus knights (and wyrm knights), archers, wizards, mercenaries, assassins, and surely other classes I'm not remembering. The relationships between these classes are interesting and make for good gameplay: archers and wizards can help infantrymen defeat stronger opponents; pegasus knights can traverse over obstacles, but are brought down by archers; cavalry have greater mobility that allows them to engage and disengage with greater freedom, but can hardly do anything against heavy armor; mercenaries and assassins are great at initiating attacks, but have a poor defense that makes them vulnerable to counter-attacks. When you consider the different character class relationships, you have consider a wide number of factors: positioning, timing, and awareness are a few of the fundamentals that would come into play. For example, you may ask yourself: "is it wise to send a powerful wizard to help my mediocre infantryman defeat a heavily armored knight, when the enemy cavalry can use their superior mobility to kill the wizard and separate my infantryman from my healer?"

All of this is great. But when you introduce the weapon triangle, things get simplistic. Suddenly, you don't have to think too hard: "my opponents have axes, so I will bring swords. Even if I get surrounded, there is a 20% advantage in attack and defense that protects me, and I can overwhelm the enemy with sheer numbers". I understand that this system exists to simplify what would otherwise be a very difficult game, but I'm not convinced that it benefits the game's popularity. The series' recent explosion in sales happened at the same time as skills were introduced into the game, which if I understand correctly, increase the complexity of the game. I believe that the series' increase in popularity happened not only because of the cute new artstyle and expanded dating sim mechanics, but because people wanted a game that was more tactically meaningful than Fire Emblem used to be, and Awakening and Fates finally delivered it.

Edit: wow, Matt and I necro'd this thread at the exact same time. I swear this was completely coincidental.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  44. mattavelle1

Freakin weird, I'm just sick and in a posting mood this morning.
  45. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with you, it's too simplistic. I just would like to add that FE is getting easier and easier. FE used to be more difficult (for example, permanent death used to be part of the strategy and not a thing that user could decide.) Nowadays not only the triangle system is simple, but almost everything in FE is becoming straightforward.

But yes, the triangle system is really too simple considering everything else on FE.
  46. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I for one like the triangle system, however I do feel it's impact should be reduced. It's effects should be a secondary and not the primary aspect of the battle.
  47. simplyTravis

simplyTravis "A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

I think the Switch will be a huge success. However, I think it will get crappy third party support until the end of the PS4 lifecycle as a way for companies to keep some profit when people lose interest in the system getting ready for the new thing.
  48. Shoulder

I only disagree from the standpoint of if the Switch is a success, then 3rd party developers will go where the money is. But it would also be the developers responsibility to not delay Switch ports, or provide little to no extras that benefit the Switch version. Then it falls onto the developers own fault rather than Nintendo, or the consumer.

And considering how easy the Switch is to develop for (as various devs have already pointed out), it is more than likely Switch games will be not only easy, but also cheaper to make compared to PS4 and Xbone.

Granted, we did hear similar thoughts before the Wii U was launched, but this time is more than likely to be true if not for the fact we are dealing with nVidia's Tegra chip versus the PPC architecture that is all but dead at this point, and almost no developer actively uses it. ARM alone would make it easy, and at relatively low risk to develop and/or port games over. Skyrim for example, while a five year old game, might be an interesting testbed for future AAA 3rd party titles.
    • Like Like x 2
  49. GaemzDood

The Musou games, for the most part, are actually high quality.

Metroid Prime Hunters was boring, repetitive, and full of wasted potential.
  50. GaemzDood

I disagree, to put it rather bluntly. The only reason they even got 3rd party support in the NES and SNES era was because they essentially strong-armed them to create a monopoly, and that was on top of their censorship that basically butchered creative visions in the name of the self righteous panjandrum of upholding traditional family values over creative freedom. In addition to that, Nintendo ramped up their licensing prices, everything had to be console exclusive to Famicom for 2 years, all cartridges had to be made by them, cartridge orders had to exceed a certain amount, and everything had to be paid in advance (so basically Nintendo kind of forced the 3rd parties to take the risks and even if a game was a big failure they would make a killing from the cartridge orders), and in America, religious references, blood and gore, drugs, and sex was a big no-no. They may as well have written an entire book on the Dictatorship of the Proletariat and how it applies to the video game industry, because they pioneered it. This continued into the N64 era, with major censorship of titles like Cruis'n USA and Duke Nukem, which would affect Nintendo's image, and their sales in the process. They barely even tried to reconcile the situation due to their fatuous thinking on how modern entertainment functioned.

I love Nintendo because of their retro vaporwave a e s t h e t i c which I can relate to as it sums my depression up, and because they are objectively great developers, but they have a history of tyranny that many lament EA for.
    • Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.