Retro Gaming Enthusiast

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by GaemzDood, May 9, 2017.

1. GaemzDood

GaemzDood Well-Known Member

So basically, I thought to create a thread dedicated to all things retro gaming. Instead of loading up the board with various retro gaming threads, I thought "why not dump them all in here." Various discussions for various retro gaming topics are wholeheartedly welcomed and outright encouraged.
  2. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

The SNES is the best retro gaming system of all time.

I rest my case.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. GaemzDood

Arcade game ports were pleb tier. When I look for a retro gaming experience, I want full (or almost full) arcade parity. Games like Sunset Riders, Samurai Shodown, Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, and Final Fight and atrocious compared to the almighty Neo Geo and arcade versions.

Also, *Super Famicom.
  4. Juegos

That may be so, but there were hardly any arcade games that could stand toe to toe with games like Contra 3, Super Castlevania 4, various SNES RPGs, whatever else. The only I can think of are fighting games. The quality of SNES games just had no competition from other consoles or arcades from its time.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. GaemzDood

TOP 18 AWESOME MULTIPLATFORM GAMES THAT SHOULD'VE COME TO THE GAMECUBE
    I've pothered on here about Nintendo's draconian policies regarding online games (basically, they didn't do jack to assist or update with the infrastructure), generally idiocentric attitude, weltered attitude about modern gaming, and their cromulent language of how other developers operated, as well as their eccentricities that would've led to their downfall (had it not been for the Wii), and this can be somewhat reflected here, as these were some of my favorite games of the sixth generation era that, as a fan of the GameCube hardware, would've been great for the system's image and 3rd party strengths. By the way, you can publish this on the main site if you want...please. Also worth noting is that the lack of these multiplats wasn't 100% Nintendo's fault. Magazines didn't advertise GameCube multiplats well at all, so most people weren't even aware that they existed, which led to poor sales.

18. Castlevania: Curse of Darkness
    (Note of interest, the European version is rated 12+ while the U.S. version carried a Mature rating. Seeing as how European ratings boards are a lot more strict, this is rather strange...)
    Whatever Metacritic says, not having this game on the GameCube was a travesty to me. The buttery smooth 60 FPS (something the Lords of Shadow series struggled to run half at), fantastic art design, combat that totally didn't take inspiration from Devil May Cry, RPG elements and exploration that make it fit the bill as a Metroidvania game in 3D, and hard ass boss fights really stack up for this game. Add a ton of weapon variety and you have what is arguably the best 3D Castlevania ever, next to Lament of Innocence of course. Seriously, Death's Scythe is not to be screwed with.

17. Black
    A technological tour de force on the PS2 and Xbox, Criterion is seriously, without a doubt, in their own league. The sound design is visceral and amazing, and despite the muted color palette, there's a ton of impressive destructible scenery, and the game uses some impressive dynamic lighting. All of this at a solid 30 FPS too. The game's sound presents the game as intense, but honestly, it would be T rated if it weren't for the use of the f-bomb. There's no blood to speak of, and the enemy death animations are actually quite exaggerated and not realistic all.

The game is a ton of fun, but short lived. I really wish there was an online, or offline co-op mode. Or even a versus mode, online or offline, would've sufficed. It's also odd that it wasn't ported to the 360, especially since EA pretty much led the way in cross gen development.

16. The Suffering & Ties That Bind
    So fun fact: The Suffering was originally in development for the GameCube, but like a lot of potential 3rd party games for the system, it got shitcanned. It's a real shame, because in terms of actual plot and scares, it has a leg up over Resident Evil 4. Obviously it's not as polished as Resident Evil 4 or Painkiller, but in terms of the vibes I get, I see eerie reminiscence to Dementium for the DS, and Dementium II is one of my favorite games for the DS, so that is an excellent compliment.

15. The Warriors
    While the graphics are lacking like other Rockstar games at the time, the combat system more than makes up for it. Considered to be one of the best film to game adaptations ever, I can more than see why. It has good writing and even better gameplay. It recaptures all of the scenes in severely blocky glory, with a ton of surprisingly complex combos. While this is a fantastic film to game adaptation, I want to see a Death Wish game.

14. Star Wars: Battlefront II
    One of the biggest blows to Nintendo not supporting online gaming was with not getting the Battlefront games. I don't even need to go in depth about why this is a fantastic game. Dogfights, galactic conquest, instant action, an entire campaign, mod support on PC, 33 maps and 16 planets, AI players, 37 vehicles alone, 51 infantry types...it's loaded. EA really screwed the pooch with the reboot, so hopefully the sequel brings back the content that made Battlefront II endless.

With that said, it's not flawless. The AI is quite terrible, for one, and the "campaign" really is just a series of multiplayer maps. I hate those types of campaigns.

13. Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy
    Another Midway title that was canned on the GameCube due to disappointing sales of their other GameCube games, this game, despite having an 84% on Metacritic and having some of the most potential ever, never got a sequel. Instead, the best alternative gameplay wise is Second Sight and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, both of which don't even compare. Psi-Ops combines shallow stealth, great physics, and head explosions into one complete package.

The one flaw is the weapon handling. There's no recoil whatsoever and bullets spray all over the place, which is not how a real gun works. Also, the lack of a cover system, over the shoulder aiming, or a leaning system inhibits shooting a bit.

12. Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit
    This is a weird game. I love it, but at the same time, I don't like it. It gives off an MGS vibe with it's eccentricities, something that would be lost with the more than pretentious Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls. You get Mayan prophecies, slow mo Matrix kung fu, and murder mysteries wrapped into one barely cohesive package. Worth noting that the PSN rerelease is based on the uncensored version but still got an M rating, which is nice if you're into blocky breasts.

11. Full Spectrum Warrior
    This is by far one of my favorite real time tactics games of all time. No kidding, it's better than Commandos. On top of that, the gamepad adaptability is excellent. When I played this on the Xbox, I was surprised to find controls that were really streamlined. Compared to other games I tried in the genre on other platforms besides PC, the controls really were hard to get used to (SOCOM: Tactical Strike for the PSP is the worst offender). The game is extremely tense and requires a lot of thinking. Think XCOM except fully real time and not nearly as hard. Apparently, it was developed by the IfCT in association with Pandemic, and it's been adapted by psychologists to help veterans with PTSD.

Also, this is another game where the PS2 and Xbox disparity is worth noting.

10. OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
    So supposedly, Sega showed unprecedented support for the GameCube and hated the PS2. This is why the PS2 got one of the best arcade racers of the generation, an excellent 3D hack n' slash git gud reboot in the form of Shinobi, Yakuza 1 & 2, and a port of Rez while the GameCube got two average Sonic Adventure games and Billy Hatcher. That's not even getting to the Xbox, which got the definitive Crazy Taxi game, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Otogi 1 and 2, an arcade perfect port of The House of the Dead III (though it was ported to the Wii), Gunvalkyrie, Jet Set Radio Future, Sega GT 2002, and a vastly superior port of Shenmue II. So much for backing the GameCube, right?

Anyways, aside from the visuals (this version was missing mipmapping due to the PS2 being lead platform), this version is an updated release of OutRun 2 for the Xbox, featuring 15 new cars and 5 new modes, and a seriously great online mode. The game runs at a full 60 FPS and has some really polished, clean arcade style graphics and a ton of content to choose from. It's definitely the definitive Sega arcade racer aside from Daytona USA on PSN and XBLA.

9. Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 and Earned in Blood
    Yes, these games are "technically" on the Wii. Also, they're "technically" horrible ports, complete with broken AI, graphics ported over from the vastly inferior PS2 versions, no multiplayer of any kind, and crippling framerate issues. What would've been the perfect opportunity to make a standout M rated Wii shooter to compete with Call of Duty: World at War was lost in translation.

Anyways, it's a real shame that they didn't just bring these to the GameCube at the time, as these are the most brilliant WWII shooters from that generation. Prioritizing tactics as opposed to watching your guys get mowed down on Normandy beach for the one hundred thousandth time, these games showed that you could have tactical gameplay mixed with cinematic storytelling successfully. Yes, they're not as deep as something like Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield, but they stand out regardless. Seriously, why aren't there more tactical WWII shooters?

8. Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition Remix
    As you may have noticed, I like racing games. I didn't include II, because if you've played 3, there's no going back to II. Not only does it include everything from II, including Tokyo (if you have the Remix version), but it features a full time of day system and weather, something that couldn't have been pulled off in Burnout due to the reliance on pre-baked lighting. This does come at the cost of performance though: it only runs at 30 FPS compared to Burnout's 60. It includes a ton of modes in addition to a full open world, complete with police chases.

7. Burnout 3: Takedown and Burnout: Revenge
    The fact that these never came to the GameCube is an utter travesty, even more of a travesty than the porting quality of the Need for Speed games on the GameCube. The fast paced racing, complimented by the locked 60 FPS update, put this above Need for Speed in terms of gameplay and responsiveness ("muh customization" and "muh cops" aside, Burnout is infinitely more playable today on consoles due to running at double the refresh). The main gimmick is the fact that it's a racer and a car combat game where you are encouraged to drive like you're on Xanax. There are a ton of different modes to choose from, and there's online support...that's no longer active obviously. It's a real shame that xlink doesn't work with Burnout 3, otherwise the forums wouldn't be filled to the brim with threads requesting it.

6. Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Tides of War
    You may have noticed that I specifically used the Tides of War prefix, indicating the Xbox port. This is because the Xbox version smokes the PS2 version. The framerate, lighting and shadowing system (seriously, the difference is massive), and the usage of anti-aliasing and mipmapping all come together to create a more coherent and polished experience on the Xbox. Obviously the PS2 had severe memory limitations that affected level design (not as bad as something Deus Ex, but still noteworthy), but the difference between the two is quite shocking. As for the game itself, it's my favorite WWII shooter from the 6th generation, aside from Call of Duty and Brothers in Arms of course.

5. Max Payne and Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
    Like Return to Castle Wolfenstein, I'm going to point out that there is a massive disparity between the Xbox and PS2 versions. The Xbox version pushes for 60 FPS (though it's more best to be described as "uncapped" than "60 FPS") while the PS2 barely hits 20 during intense firefights, the Xbox uses quick saves (though they added it to 2 if I recall correctly), and the visual differences are extremely pronounced, with big chunks of levels, dynamic shadows, and lighting being axed. A developer on a forum said that they wanted to port it to the GameCube but couldn't, but I think this is total nonsense. As I always say, more on that later. Whether I actually bother to deliver is up to you if you remind me. Also, on PC, the game has a seriously awesome modding community.

4. Hitman: Blood Money
    Still arguably the best example of systems based gameplay in gaming right now, excluding the new Hitman, the fact that GameCube owners only had access to Silent Assassin is a tremendous disappointment, especially considering the fact that Silent Assassin is barely playable next to Blood Money. That said, Silent Assassin was a flop on the GameCube, though that could be attributed to the lack of marketing for that particular version from magazines.

Blood Money's sprawling levels are filled with multiple objectives that have multiple ways of beating them, smart enemy AI, and streamlined controls compared to Silent Assassin. The suburban BBQ kill is the most satisfying thing ever.

3. Silent Hill 2
    Though the difference is less pronounced, Silent Hill 2 on the PS2 is still the definitive experience. Featuring the only proper implementation of sound (loops more and is stored at a lower quality due to not being generated in real time), fog (more artifacts, likely due to it being optimized for the PS2's fillrate and not redesigned for the Xbox despite the fact that it could theoretically handle it, and surpass the PS2 implementation), FMV cutscenes (the PC and Xbox versions have horrendous banding due to not using MPEG2 and only run at 30 FPS), and shadows, the only advantage the Xbox had over was the implementation of a per pixel flashlight. It wasn't as bad as some of other Konami's PlayStation to other console ports (SotN on Saturn, MGS2 on Xbox), but it was severely lacking. Had they ported it to the GameCube and restored all of what made the PS2 version super polished while keeping the per pixel lighting, it would've been the definitive version.

With that aside, I don't even to explain why not having this was a disappointment. Silent Hill 2 is arguably one of the greatest, and most depressing, games ever made. The combat and puzzles are rudimentary to be sure, but the story and psychological manifestation of games IGN asked about it to Akihiro Imamura, they got a response in line with "GameCube is for kids, but the hardware is good." Basically, what other developers said. It's upsetting to be sure, but one that is understandable if you were around the scene to understand how Nintendo was marketing the system at that time (i.e. not me).

2. Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
    While the GameCube would go on to receive The Twin Snakes with a partnership from Nintendo (I like it better than the original, come at me), the fact is that it was a low priority for Kojima, hence why it was outsourced to Silicon Knights. When questioned about bringing MGS2 over, he basically had the same response as Akihiro Imamura. With that said, a full 60 FPS PS2 port without the Xbox's issues would've been needed to impress. The Xbox version suffers from missing effects (lighting in Snake's camo in the opening tanker cutscene), cutscene stuttering, a framerate that could run as low as 30 without frame skipping, color banding, and compressed textures. Short of redesigning the engine, it obviously wasn't made for the Xbox. The controls are a mess too.

MGS2 is one of the most polished PS2 games of its era, Raiden or not. The AI had many ways of interaction, it had a ton of high quality post processing, there was tons of breakable scenery, animation was smooth. and it had many clever "smoke and mirrors" effects like faked reflections, light shafts, bloom, and specular highlights. You know the deal with the story already, so I won't get into it.

Honorable mentions: Area 51, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2, BloodRayne 2, Colin McRae Rally 3, 04, and 2005, DarkWatch, Destroy All Humans! 1 & 2, Fatal Frame, FlatOut 1 & 2, Just Cause, Genma Onimusha, Hitman: Contracts, Legacy of Kain: Defiance, Manhunt, Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction, MX Unleashed, MX vs. ATV: Unleashed, Silent Hill 4: The Room, Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven/Return from Darkness, The Thing, TOCA Race Driver 1, 2, and 3, Total Overdose: A Gunslinger's Tale in Mexico, and Urban Chaos: Riot Response.

1. Grand Theft Auto III, Vice City, and San Andreas
    Enough cannot be stated about how not having this on the GameCube pretty much solidified Nintendo's console that could do as an afterthought to developers. While other games such as True Crime did attempt to replicate the mature content of GTA, they missed what made GTA so successful: the sprawling nature and interactivity of the world, as well as the general polish, setting visuals aside. Not only did GTA prove that you don't need top of the line visuals to make a great game (though the Xbox did feature nice improvements like anti-aliasing, reflections, and better draw distances, all of which would've been awesome in a potential homebrew GCN port, as well as custom soundtracks), but an amazing one at that. While each game has their fair share of frustrations (III's shooting, all of the games' driving mechanics that make Watch Dogs' look good, San Andreas' forced stats that would hold you back from doing missions), they were also very inventive with their mission structure. Whereas modern open world Ubisoft games have you doing the definition of insanity that they defined in Far Cry 3, GTA: San Andreas has you doing car chases with helicopters and burning marijuana fields. That's right, San Andreas still has more varied missions than Ubisoft's open world games. Whereas GTA made you feel like you were in a world (that you could wreak havoc on), a lot of open worlds nowadays feel like MMO style theme parks, and it's disheartening to see.

Anyways, that's all. Hope you enjoyed it.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  6. GaemzDood

I'm going to update my top 10 to a top 20. Also, I'm going to do a top 10 worst ports series for each retro Nintendo system. I wanna get back into making epic threads like I used to back when I had no life.
    That I most certainly agree with, even though I have a hard time getting into slow paced JRPGs compared to titles like Sin & Punishment (<3) due to ADD issues.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
  7. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

Is Wii U retro too?
  8. GaemzDood

If you consider the PS3 and 360 to be retro, then yes. In my opinion, a retro console is defined by it not getting support anymore. The PS3 is still getting *some* games (Persona 5), and the Wii U is getting a Darksiders: Warmastered port. After that, they'll probably qualify as retro.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

Makes sense.

My favourite retro console is N64, I guess. Or maybe NDS. I have wonderful memories playing them.
  10. Juegos

Indie games have barely moved on from imitating 2d pixel art styles into imitating early 3D low-polygon styles, so I'd say the PS1-era is as far as Retro goes right now.
  11. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

GameCube is factually the best retro console, followed closely by the SNES and N64.
  12. GaemzDood

It definitely had some amazing exclusives. Metroid Prime is straight up one of the best games of all time. I like it more than Resident Evil 4 and Smash Bros. when it comes to GameCube exclusives.

That said, the GameCube had a lot of high quality 3rd party games despite my above list showing plenty that didn't come (then again, some of the honorable mentions have 70s on Metacritic).
    • Like Like x 1
  13. GaemzDood

Top 11 Worst 3rd Party GameCube Ports
    This list will account for visual quality, content, and performance first and foremost.

11. Def Jam: Fight for NY

This game was one title that spurred the nonsensical assertion that the GameCube's discs are what held it back. Featuring less detailed arenas, 1 voice as opposed to 6, missing songs, missing lighting effects, and framerate problems, this version is pretty expensive, but it is most certainly not worth the entry if you have a PS2 or Xbox.

10. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
    The game suffers from problematic framerate issues that weren't in the PS2 or Xbox versions (the Xbox port was actually very high quality) and there's no progressive scan or surround sound options. Also, High Voltage ported it, so that's probably why. No wonder the GameCube didn't receive the excellent sequel, because nobody was willing to buy a port this sub-par.

9. Midway Arcade Treasures 3
    Sound glitches, more pop-in than the PS2 and Xbox counterparts, framerate drops during the single player of Rush 2049 (utterly shocking when you look at vastly superior looking GCN racers like F-Zero GX running at a locked 60 in all modes), and a chugging framerate in Rush 2049 multiplayer hold this back from greatness.

8. Star Wars: Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast
    Crippling framerate issues, compressed to all hell audio and cutscenes, no progressive scan, ugly visuals, loads of bugs, and confusing controls make this one of the worst 6th gen PC to console ports this side of Unreal 2 on Xbox and Max Payne on PS2.

7. Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions
    The Xbox version, in addition to being a fun arcade style driving alternative to Crazy Taxi, was also a pretty good tech demo. However, everything was lost in translation for this port. This port suffers from sporadic framerate issues, missing bump maps, effects, and polygons, blurrier assets everywhere, and slower gameplay. The cutscenes also use a hideous frame blending effect that wasn't present in the Xbox version, just to seal the deal on avoiding this one.

6. Need for Speed: Most Wanted
    The saddest part is that I was introduced to this game through this port. This version features atrocious pop-in, textures compressed to N64 level quality (that's not an exaggeration), a complete removal of the time of day and weather system, and a complete removal of any post processing effects, among other things. It feels like a beta that got shipped because Nintendo was desperate for games. Carbon fared better, but still suffered from compressed, blurry textures and a poor framerate.

5. True Crime: New York City
    It's a real shame that this game was rushed out the door, because gameplay wise, it's night and day from Streets of LA and very high quality. However, while all of the platforms have their fair share of glitches, the GameCube release suffers from crippling framerate issues, horribly compressed textures, missing effects (the alpha blended snow fog is missing for example), and downgraded lighting. Need evidence? Check this video out.

4. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3
    Take an excellent, if a bit dumbed down Xbox conversion, strip out the solid framerate (this applies to animations too), butcher the levels like a meat packer, reduce the visual quality to its most basic components, and still somehow don't support 4 player splitscreen to make up for the loss of online gameplay, and you have this port. What's also interesting is that it still carries a Mature rating despite the blood being cut out (no, Nintendo had nothing to do with it, the PS2 version was also censored).

3. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon & Ghost Recon 2
    Ghost Recon on the GameCube is a basic port of the PS2 version, with even more crippling framerate issues and no local multiplayer support. However, at least it was fundamentally the same game as the Xbox version. The same cannot be said for Ghost Recon 2, subtitled 2007: First Contact (the Xbox version takes place in 2011). The levels are different are far more constrained, the framerate issues are severely bad, the AI is awful, the visuals are awful, there's no split screen of any kind, and controlling your team is a nightmare. Because this was an unmitigated disaster, Ubisoft didn't end up releasing the excellent Summit Strike expansion pack on GameCube.

2. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, Pandora Tomorrow, Chaos Theory, and Double Agent
    In Splinter Cell 1's case, Ubisoft Shanghai did them, so it's likely that they didn't have the code to the Xbox release. However, the level designs were dumbed down, complex light and shadowing systems were stripped out, textures were immensely dumbed down, and a lot of atmospheric effects were stripped out as well. In Pandora Tomorrow, Shanghai handled all of the versions, so there really wasn't an excuse, unless the GameCube release had a welfare budget. The framerate is uncapped and fluctuates anywhere from below 30 FPS to far above it, leading to a lot of judder, the levels are stripped down, animations are recycled, and instead of translating Spies vs. Mercs to split screen (two spies vs. two mercs), they just stripped it out altogether. Chaos Theory and Double Agent were the biggest downgrades, featuring vastly reduced lighting and shadows, loss of bump and normal maps, refractions, specular highlights, and vastly stripped down level design, in addition to suffering from severe framerate problems. The lack of lighting actually changed the way gameplay was handled in Chaos Theory; what I mean is that because the light sources were stripped down, ghosting the game was fundamentally easy as hell. In addition to the multiple pathways being stripped out, it really hampered the gameplay.

Another negligible change in these games (at least in 1, Pandora Tomorrow, and Chaos Theory) is that there's no blood when you shoot enemies.

1. Tom Clancy's The Sum of All Fears
    You gotta hand it to Ubisoft. For producing such GameCube classics as Rayman 3, Beyond Good & Evil, King Kong, and the Sands of Time trilogy, they really did not give a damn when it came to their other franchises. Like the bad but nowhere near as bad as this Splinter Cell 1 port, this was outsourced to Ubisoft Shanghai, and the result was a disastrous port of a good tactical shooter based on a sub-par movie. The game is laughably easy to a condescending level, with gameplay hampering auto-aim, a feature that shows you exactly where to go and where the enemies are, the I in the game's AI shouldn't even be there (this applies to squadmates too), there's no recoil, the visuals and framerate are equally awful, the audio is atrocious, and even though the GameCube was designed for low loading times, the loading times in this game are some of the worst on the system.

Given the option, I would love to redo all of these games on the GameCube with Xbox (or PC, in the case of The Sum of All Fears) parity, sort of like what that one designer did with a homebrew Sonic GBA port that was somehow 100% more authentic to the Genesis release than the actual Sega port.

Honorable Mention: Shrek, which suffered from atrocious performance problems and missing graphical features (bump mapping). That said, it did stencil shadows and deferred shading on the GameCube, which was pretty cool.

Next up: my top 20 favorite GameCube games and N64 coverage.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  14. GaemzDood

My top 20 favorite GameCube games
    It seems like every Nintendo console I own is a short lived, but fun experience. This especially applied to the GameCube. For all of the games it missed and the bad ports it got, it had a preposterous amount of good games. So I'm going to count down those good games.

Also, if your favorite game isn't in here (Super Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker (too expensive), Fire Emblem (again, too damn expensive), and SCII, for example), it's because I haven't played it, not because I didn't think it was good enough.

20. Star Fox Adventures
    I gotta be honest, I have some problems with this game, mainly the new totally not Furaffinity fanfic character Krystal. This literally would've been avoided if Nintendo let it be Dinosaur Planet. Luckily, the game manages to sidestep this by being an excellent adventure/shooter game with some stunning visuals. Anyone who wants to flaunt the Xbox's bump mapping techniques or the PS2's overdraw, look at this game and digress. Featuring tons of fill rate heavy effects, reflections, bump maps, and so much more, this is easily a technical one of the best showcases for the GameCube hardware. Oh, and it's 60 FPS.

19. Serious Sam: Next Encounter
    While it lacks the visuals of Serious Sam for the Xbox, as the PS2 was the lead platform, it makes up with fun gameplay and loads of content.

18. XIII
    Despite the cliffhanger, this is an excellent comic adaptation that really plays to the strengths of video game storytelling. Instead of going for a cinematic style, the developers basically replicated Half-Life intelligently. So while the GameCube may have not gotten a port of Half-Life like the PS2 did, it got the next best thing.

17. Killer7
    While the gameplay is uber hard for some tastes, and I personally found it harder than any light gun game I've played, mostly owing to the way your weapons wavers "realistically," the story is something else. With themes of tense foreign relations that feel more relevant than ever, dissociative personalities, and Power Rangers, it's probably the last Suda game to take itself seriously. While No More Heroes had a juvenile side to it, it was at least inspired and funny. With Lollipop Chainsaw and Shadow of the Damned, it got into "too many dick jokes" territory. Luckily, I feel like this was recognized with the release of Killer is Dead and The Silver Case for PSN.

16. Need for Speed: Underground 2
    The customization is insane and it was the first to really hammer home open world racing. In addition, the visuals are top notch and polished, and while it has a distinctly different and brighter art direction than the other versions, it still looks just as good. My only problem is the lack of police chases. Most Wanted would have theoretically taken this spot, but due to the fact that it is a severely unpolished port, I can't recommend it on the GameCube.

15. Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
    One of the early examples of delayed ports on a modern Nintendo system, the sales of this title doomed the Cube to not receive the excellent follow ups. Hitman 2 is a clunky game that lacks the variety of Blood Money, but make no mistake, it is an excellent game by all accounts and one of the few systems based games on the GameCube.

14. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
    I feel like the Tony Hawk series pioneered the trend of perceptual 60 FPS gaming. Basically, it targets 60 FPS but frequently drops below it, but with enough inconsequential drops and smooth control response to trick people into thinking it's 60 FPS. Call of Duty would do it years later, along with later Platinum games.

Framerate aside, while this is a basic PS2 port that lacks the buttery smooth 720p60 update of the Xbox release, it's still a stride in the Tony Hawk series. Featuring a somewhat fleshed out world that you could explore on board, along with tons of entertaining challenges, it deviated from the Pro Skater series but still kept what made it fun in the first place. It refined over 3 in major ways, adding a free skate option in the career mode. Sadly, this series has been relegated to shovelware after Project 8, which was also a good game.

Also, check out Aggressive Inline and Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2 if you want something similar but with different sports.

13. Ikaruga
    So my friend, who's excellent at shmups, hates this game, not because it's hard, but because he just hates it. I made up a password with him called 'ikarugaisawesomegitgud' just to spite him. I think it's a great game, and while it may not have much on DoDonPachi or any other Cave title for the PS2, it's still recognized as one of the best shoot em' ups ever.
    12. Battalion Wars
    Another franchise Nintendo doesn't know what to do with, this game puts an emphasis on large scale battles that wouldn't be unfamiliar in a Battlefield game. The character swapping feature is great and gives it a tactical edge, in addition to basic squad commands. If Nintendo could reboot this series as their actual multiplayer shooter, complete with destructible scenery and a tone similar to Days of Ruin, they'd have a winner.
    11. Viewtiful Joe

10. TimeSplitters: Future Perfect
    You want to talk about content? This game has zombies, multiplayer, a fleshed out campaign, 60 FPS split screen for every mode, an arcade mode, a map maker, and probably the most playable characters in a TimeSplitters game. While GameCube owners didn't get the amazing 16 (Xbox)/8 (PS2) player online mode and downloadable maps because Nintendo was too busy being in the stone age, it's still one you should add to your Nintendo FPS collection, especially if you want the true sequel to Perfect Dark. This is one of those games that should be remade for the Switch so Nintendo primaries can experience how truly great the multiplayer is.

Oh, and it's super gory too.
    9. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Confession: I played it on the Wii, I didn't beat it due to a carriage chase mission that pissed me off to no end, and after seeing Breath of the Wild, and I find the Ocarina formula to be pretty stale. That said, this is probably the best and most grimdark iteration, and one that felt like a response to Wind Waker's (admittedly really well done) artistic direction. It has the best companion in a Zelda game to date, the music is fantastic, and the visuals, especially the character models, hold up exceptionally well. Also helps that it's a locked 30 FPS, something Zelda hasn't been able to achieve since the Wii U (this also includes Twilight Princess HD, sadly).
    8. F-Zero GX
    First of all: rant. Nintendo, if you want to be taken seriously at all, stop doing stuff like this. We westerners aren't religiously sensitive at all, and in fact, most of my generation consists of atheists. We aren't sensitive to the subject of alcohol consumption. We aren't homophobic (for the most part). However, when you do stuff like this, it obviously makes it look like you're trying to appeal to children, which clearly didn't work here as it was given a Teen rating. So be a little more like Atlus and stop censoring your U.S. releases, it's petty and immature. /Rant

The ultimate test of gitting gud, this is the best Nintendo game that wasn't even made by Nintendo. The sense of speed makes Sonic look weak, the input latency is insanely low, the bump mapped graphics are beautiful, the framerate is 100% 60 FPS in all modes, and it supports progressive scan and 16:9.

7. Super Smash Bros. Melee
    Infinitely more complex than Brawl, it may have lacked a story mode, but at least it didn't have tripping. Instead, you had stuff like wavedashing, faster gameplay (apparently, Street Fighter IV and V followed in Brawl's footsteps, and felt even worse), L-cancelling, and hitstunning that you actually had to master. Look, I like Brawl, it's basically a Mario Party fighting game. I've literally seen my 7 year old relatives master it, they could never do that with Melee. #Truestuffgetmadatme.
    6. Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
    While most people hated the changes made to this remake, I actually like them. Yes, it made boss fights way easier, but to act like that the original PS1 release is a paragon of playability is disingenuous. Either way, it's still one of the most effort filled remakes ever. Literally everything was recrafted with the MGS2 engine, so you get double the framerate of the original game for the most part, reflections, updated animations, and completely redone lighting. I haven't seen remakes this high quality aside from Gears of War Ultimate and Call of Duty: MWR.
    5. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II - Rogue Leader

4. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Warrior Within, and The Two Thrones
    While these games have their own flaws, such as the awkward combat in Sands of Time, backtracking in Warrior Within, and the reliance on QTEs in The Two Thrones, these are still my favorite 6th generation platformers of all time. They combine trial and error git gud gameplay with lots of cool environmental puzzles, and in The Two Thrones' case, environmental combat. In addition to that, Warrior Within can be accredited with pioneering the free form action adventure combat system that so many brawlers supposedly "ripped from Arkham." The difference is that Warrior Within's combat is legitimately challenging and requires some form of skill. Combine that with great art direction and smooth animations, and it's a highly polished trilogy. I wish Ubisoft would at least reboot this series on the UbiArt engine with Warrior Within combat and realistic platforming found in the original two Prince games.

3. All the Resident Evils

2. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

1. Metroid Prime
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  15. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

The only ones I played from your list are
    Battalion Wars, Prince of Persia, Zelda TP, Metroid Prime.

Great games. I haven't played much GC, because I was into PC back then. To be honest, I've skipped GC generation. I played GC games on Wii.

I couldn't figure out Battalion Wars though. That game made me so confused. I only was able to beat its first few stages.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

I gonna make a list of N64 games I've enjoyed most.

N64 was my real childhood platform. I've owned a Master System and a SNES though. Some friends had those consoles and I didn't understand anything about consoles (nor my mum). I just wanted to play the games I used to see on arcades at home, so my mum brought me a Master System and then a SNES. I only played those for 1 year when I jumped to N64. I hadn't played Metroid, Sonic 2, MK, none of those generation hits. I had played DKC3, though, because I saw some advertisement. I've also played Street Fighter Alpha 2 on SNES a lot. Akuma was a beast.

A friend of mine called me to show me Mario 64. I was like "What on earth is this?". I begged for a N64 and got one. So N64 was my first console that I was really aware that I wanted to play for its content. I played it for many years and had great parties at home and at friend's with N64. It was also PS1 generation and I really saw what consoles could do. PS1 was a massive hit, I saw all my friends getting rid of their SNES to play PS1. No more arcade for us, PS1 ruled all fighting game parties.

My mum wouldn't give me a PS1, so N64 parties were at my place and PS1 parties only at friend's or at those ancient places where you could rent games and play PS1 for a few pennies.

To sum it up, in one year I went from arcades, Sega, SNES to N64 and PS1 wonders. It was such a revolution for me.
  17. GaemzDood

Top 10 Games That Should've Been on the N64 (no particular order)
    Regardless of how you feel about the system's many blunders (Nintendo's 3rd party relationships, censorship of titles like Duke 64, cartridge storage, etc.), the fact is that games objectively benefitted from the hardware thanks to an actual zed buffer and floating point calculations, which means that texture warping and mipmap shimmering can be put to rest. If you need an example of this, look at Wipeout vs. Wipeout 64. The PlayStation still relied on 2D rasterization without depth. I'm only doing multiplatform releases, not PS1 exclusives like Rising Zan or PS1/PC releases like Metal Gear Solid.

- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    One of the best games ever made (as long as you're not playing the Saturn release), not having this really put a dent on Nintendo. Unlike the PS1's JRPGs, it holds up wonderfully thanks to amazing artwork and a buttery smooth framerate. Although the N64 wasn't known for its 2D games, this would have been a defining game for the system.

- Resident Evil & Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
    Though the N64 would get a technically stupendous port of Resident Evil 2, which was one of the first 3D games to use dynamic resolution scaling (with the HD cart), Nintendo exclusive owners missed out on the hype of the first game. Although years later, there would be a GameCube remake and DS port.

Nemesis should have came, but due to the poor sales of 2, it never saw the light of day on Nintendo's system. It's a shame, because anti-aliasing and bilinear filtering would've propelled the game by a long shot, especially since the PS1 version is a jaggy mess by today's standards.

- Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare
    Now personally, I only played the PS1 version and enjoyed it despite it lacking staples of the Alone in the Dark series (being able to drop items anywhere, for one). It was a visually ambitious title with some very nice dynamic lighting and shadows, uncommon for a horror game with 2D backdrops. Honestly, the Dreamcast version is the best version to play. The PS2 version, which theoretically should have been superior, is a half assed PS1 port, complete with 16-bit color (meaning banding everywhere), low resolution backgrounds, and a 320x240p resolution (for reference, the max resolution on the PS2 is 640x448p). However, had there been an N64 version, it could have been somewhere between the PS1 and Dreamcast versions. Sure, it probably would have had to run at a lower resolution, but 32-bit color would be more than feasible.

- Dino Crisis
    Another survival horror title. Although a bit heavy on puzzles, the game is still a great M rated Jurassic Park game. The N64 hardware could have been used to clean up the excessive pixelation, although I doubt they would have since the Dreamcast version was a basic PS1 port.

- Crusader: No Remorse
    The PS1 and Saturn versions are often renounced compared to the PC release due to their severe visual compromises, although they did have scrolling. An N64 port could have easily been faithful to the PC version.

- Vandal Hearts
    An amazing SRPG with beautiful artwork that actually had a Japan exclusive Saturn release. The N64's only standout strategy games are two PC ports and Ogre Battle 64, so it would have been amazing to have.

- Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
    Admittedly, I only played it on the PS1 and it did not age well. Now I've also seen the Dreamcast gameplay and it looks stunning. I guess they probably didn't want competition with The Legend of Zelda, but this game would have really benefitted the N64 library.

- Alien: Trilogy

- Doom
    No, Doom 64 is not a port of Doom. It is its own game. However, a Doom port complete with all of the Doom II levels, split screen deathmatch and co-op, and missing texture, enemy, and level content from the PS1 version (framerate related) restored would have made for a retro console release that would hold up substantially as more than just a relic.

- Tom Clancy's Rainbow Sox: Rogue Spear
    For some reason, people ignored the fantastic port of Rainbow Six for the N64. Why!? It's a PC perfect port. I mean it. It had the customization, planning, and hostage-rescuing gameplay you could want. Unlike Rainbow Six 3 on consoles, it didn't neuter what made the game great on PC, and it was a complete 180 from the garbage PS1 release. Hell, personally, I found it more fun than the Dreamcast port.

Sent from my SM-G900V using genital warts
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  18. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

The game that I was unbeatable:

[​IMG]

You can't believe how I loved this game.

I played it again and again, all weekends for years.

[​IMG]

I used to play multiplayer with some friends and they never were able to beat me. Never. Not a single time.

I was very proud of my Battletanx skills because I wasn't good at Goldeneye and fighting games that most of my friends used to play.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. GaemzDood

20 PC Games That Should Have Been Brought to the GameCube

While this would only have happened in my alternate universe where Nintendo redesigned the GameCube to use regular discs and added more non-low level system RAM, as well as seeking out 3rd party developers and adding online support instead of neglecting both, it is still fun to think about.

AVP2-resized.jpg
    Scenario in my my alternate history thread: Nintendo gets a ton of new developers due to the new leadership, marketing of 'hardcore' titles, and the console taking off, as well as the sales of "adult" games. Nintendo asks Monolith to release AvP2 Gold for the GameCube complete with the top end PC settings, a 60 FPS target, 4 player splitscreen, and online and LAN multiplayer.

[​IMG]
    Arx Fatalis is an amazingly atmospheric successor to Ultima Underworld, and in my timeline, it would have sold well and come to the GameCube.

Deus-Ex-resized.jpg
    While a PS2 port came out, it lacked many level chunks, graphical features (detailed texturing), and was remarkably choppy. For the GameCube, it would be a complete PC port complete with the world, albeit with streaming and loading times, intact, a solid framerate, detailed textures with bump maps, and improved AI (think GMDX).

Diablo-II-Resized.jpg
    Let us say for instance that Nintendo was launching the GameCube with an online multiplayer function and they needed an immensely popular game geared towards older audiences that wasn't available on any other platform to show it off. Diablo II is that game. On GameCube, the game would have offered 8 player online/LAN co-op, or 4 players online with 4 players split screen. In addition, it could have received updates until the GameCube discontinued. The controls would be retooled to the controller, so it would basically play like Diablo III on console, and it would run at 60 FPS.

Also, it would be a launch window title.

Doom-3-resized.jpg
    In our universe, the GameCube wouldn't have used mini discs and would have offered support for DirectX 8 shaders, so a straight Xbox port would be possible.

[​IMG]
    So basically, Nintendo notices how big The Elder Scrolls is getting, and they want a piece of it, albeit with the expansions and some tweaks, like utilizing the internal bandwidth for less blurry textures.

72322_front.jpg
    Since Microsoft partnered with Bethesda for a Morrowind Xbox port, a situation where Nintendo gets Gothic for the sake of expanding the GameCube's popularity into Europe (with the Colin McRae games as well) would have been great, but a lot of tweaks would have been needed. For one thing, the combat would have to be refined to feel more like a console action title, with things like dodge rolling and manual targeting. Also, due to the visuals being outdated even in 2002 (2003 for filthy imperialist American piggus), it would need a serious overhaul, with features like per pixel water shaders and refractions, real time reflections, atmospheric scattering, dynamic stencil shadows, dynamic lighting, volumetric fog, bump mapping, self shadowing, increased foliage, and increased draw distances.

74770-half-life-windows-front-cover.jpg
    A port of Half-Life with larger textures, no color banding, and a solid 60 FPS along with the Opposing Force expansion as well as the PS2 co-op game released in time for the launch.

22801-the-operative-no-one-lives-forever-game-of-the-year-edition-windows-front-cover.jpg
    15030-no-one-lives-forever-2-a-spy-in-h-a-r-m-s-way-windows-front-cover.jpg
    The GameCube would also go on to receive No One Lives Forever, complete with the PC's higher settings, double the framerate of the PS2 version, quick saving, and the uncensored violence from the Game of the Year Edition, along with the new levels and music CD. In addition to that, No One Lives Forever 2 would be released the next year as a GCN console exclusive.

118554-painkiller-hell-wars-xbox-front-cover.jpg
    A 60 FPS remix, similar to the Xbox version, with split screen co-op, online gameplay, and more consistent performance via the option to turn off v-sync.

[​IMG]
    The Gold Edition of Quake III could come to the GameCube complete with all of the PC features running at a constant 60 FPS with adjustable controls, 4 player co-op, and all of the online and LAN features from the PC. It would be a launch title as well.

[​IMG]
    Add a manual lock on system as well as other features (objects occluding when they get in the way of the player's view a la Witcher 3), a 60 FPS target, include the expansion and online multiplayer, and include split screen vs. and co-op and it would be an amazing GCN conversion.

[​IMG]
    A more polished port of Serious Sam to the GameCube, hitting 60 FPS or 30 FPS with a 4 player co-op/deathmatch.

[​IMG]
    See: everything I said in Rune, but with better marketing so the game sells better. The GameCube port could also include a difficulty menu to make it easier compared to the PC game.

[​IMG]
    While the Dreamcast and (especially the) PS2 ports were sub-par, sporting long loading times, heavily compressed assets, and performance issues, a GameCube port in our timeline would iron these out, double the framerate to 60 FPS, and sport online multiplayer, Platinum Edition content, 4 player split screen game modes, and co-op.

[​IMG]
    The Xbox port is awful, featuring Dreamcast level visuals, a horrendous framerate (compared to the buttery smoothness of Painkiller, Castle Wolfenstein, Red Faction II, and TimeSplitters...there is no comparison), and a dumbed down damage model. The redeemable part is the inclusion of Xbox Live.

For the GameCube, it would be an authentic PC port, running up to 60 FPS (with an option to cap to 30 with v-sync) with the damage model intact. The Gold Edition features and online integration would be there as well.

[​IMG]
    A Dreamcast port was planned, but was quietly cancelled. Instead, Nintendo, seeing the game's cult following, would want it on the GameCube. It would be an updated port sporting real time shadows, self shadowing, bump mapping, and reflections running at 60 FPS. A launch title.

[​IMG]
    Another planned Dreamcast port that Nintendo could have sought to pick up on, sporting all of the PC's top details at a solid 60 FPS on the GameCube at launch.

[​IMG]
    One of those titles that would have been commissioned for the 'Cube given the good marketing and sales of Thief II and System Shock 2.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  20. GaemzDood

I was gonna mod my OG Xbox, but I don't have the right USB stick. I was gonna make my Xbox games play in HD, but I don't have the right HD pack, and they're expensive as hell. Playing unmodded games in 480i sucks.