So in light of the Switch, have you thought about purging your library?

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by mattavelle1, Jan 15, 2017.

1. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 Fly to the treasure chest and back Staff Member Moderator

Times are tighter on people financially wise. I've never in my life been a advocate to selling your games to Gamestop. The Switch honestly seems like a real clean break away from all there other consoles. No backwards compatibility, also no backward compatibility for 3DS either. Also tho I love my WiiU and I thought that backwards compatibility was important at launch. I've learned that rarely if ever do I ever go back and play old games. Maybe your the same I would like to hear your thought.

Is now as good a time as any to clean up all the games that will not be able to be used anymore in the future?
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Karkashan

Karkashan Well-Known Member

I play a lot of old games every year, and I know there are old favorites I'll play dozens of more times before I kick the bucket.

grimabepraised
    • Like Like x 3
  3. sjmartin79

sjmartin79 White Phoenix of the Crown

I've thought about doing it. But I still have all GameCube, DS, Wii, and 3DS games, as well as my Wii U.
    It may be me being a hoarder or it may be that I can't bring myself to give away the memories.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mattavelle1

I won't get rid of my GC collection. For me I'm thinkin of parts of my Wii, DS, 3DS and WiiU library......aswell as my old 3DSs, and Wii console. I don't think I would get rid of my WiiU console just yet or my personal 3DS.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

I've always wanted to sell my old games, but always stopped myself from doing it. The truth is that if I one day wanted to play or finish old games like Trauma Team or Ivy the Kiwi, it would feel like a waste of time to play them over other new games that are still in my backlog, like Dishonored 2, or even over doing other things with my life like taking programming classes or something. A lot of games have become very disposable for me, which at least tells me that I should be renting instead of buying games from here on.

Of course that's not the case for the really great old games like SMG2 or the Metroid Prime Trilogy, or games I know I'll get a lot of value from like Splatoon 2. But a lot of things in my library are thing I bought out of curiosity and have very little intention of playing again.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. mattavelle1

If I do this, things like me metal case trilogy and RE4 steel case things like that would be no touch for me, I'm keepin those. But Animal Crossing city folk........I won't play that again for sure.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. CitizenOfVerona

CitizenOfVerona Spectacular Staff Member

In my college aka poor as dirt phase of my life, I use to trade in games. Sometimes with EB but we use to have a weekly flea market. There use to be some video game venders set up where you can buy, trade or flatout sell for money. I've sold a nice few Wii games like Red Steel, Medal of Honor, Xenoblade (which I regretted years later and bought another copy).

Last year I traded in a few PS3 games to cut back on shelf space. My thinking was that if the game was on Steam, I'll just rebuy there if I wanted to play it again. I didn't trade in a lot, the only one I really remember was Ghost Recon Future Soldier, which I had a fun enough time with.

Now though? Nah, I'm keeping everything. I was tempted to trade in Killzone Shadow Fall since it wasn't that great, but y'know, it's part of my gaming history. That may sound a tad lame, but I think it still stands. Money isn't an issue for me anymore, so unless a game is the manifestation of trash boat, I'll keep it. It's nice to look at my N64 or Gamecube collection and remember all the memories, even of the ones of subpar games. I hope in 10 years time I can look at my PS4 collection and go down a complete trip on memory lane.

So in short, nah. I'm keeping all my shit yo'
    • Like Like x 3
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  8. simplyTravis

simplyTravis "A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

I've given up on trading in games. I regret no longer having any of my SNES, N64, and Gamecube games because I traded/sold them to get money for the next system. There are some games on the Wii U that are very unique because of the Gamepad and I think they will never really be properly emulated so I expect the value to go up pretty high in the future.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. FriedShoes

FriedShoes MLG Staff Member Moderator

I really want to.
    With Wii U I bought a ton of games digitally, quite a few of which I have never completed. I feel like I could part with most of them but not all. Its just a no-go for me now, even when/if I do complete that backlog I likely wont sell it. I dont think half of those game will see releases on Switch so yeah, gonna have to stick it around.
    I mean even if I do sell the Wii U, I'd have to sell everything with it, because the disks become virtually useless too.

Also my gamepad is busted, though I suppose I could let that fact slide :^)
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

Since the Switch is not backwards compatible, all the more reason NOT to sell my old games and system; I will have no other way to play them. Granted I already nuked 2/3 of my collection this last Christmass by gifting my finished/disliked Wii U games to my nephews.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. DarkDepths

DarkDepths Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord

I remember when I got my original DS (within the first few weeks of launch), I thought I'd trade in my GBA to help pay. EB Games was going to give me $7 for it.

Since then, I haven't given a single thought to trading in games or systems.
    • Like Like x 4
  12. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I remember trading in all my GBA games and GBA to afford the DS, not realizing that it was backwards compatible. Been kicking myself on that for years now...
    • Like Like x 2
  13. mattavelle1

I totally understand this, but you get me to thinking about this aswell.

So it sucks and it's not worth getting 7 dollars for your GBA. Let's say you kept it but never played it again........is it worth more to keep it and never play it?

I really don't want to get rid of my collection. I know I'm only gonna get maybe 2-3 bucks for my CoD BLOPS2 on WiiU. Isn't it worth more to get 2-3 dollars back, as opposed to letting it sit on my shelf and never play it again?

I'm genuinely curious about that. :mconfuse:
    • Like Like x 1
  14. MANGANian

MANGANian Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie

I've entertained the thought a lot of times, but I keep my games for fear of regret. While Link Between Worlds was lost from me due to outside events, I really miss the game a lot despite fully completing the game before it was stolen. Of course, this is different from willingly surrendering a videogame, but that's the gist of it. I must also admit I just love looking at it as a collection, and sometimes I just randomly sit down with them, sort them out and go through the booklets, and fawn over the art. Skyward Sword is especially great to me since it comes with something you can listen to, and GCN Metroid Prime with the sequel demo, even though I can very well play the full game.

Another outlook I've had a few times is that later down the road, these games are gonna get pretty rare and their value will increase. Currently I'm hoping Tatsunoko vs Capcom becomes that game since production stopped early for it. Admittedly, I don't think I would've tried selling it even if it was.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. simplyTravis

That is a good thought. However, if you put it on display somehow that may make it worth it. I plan on putting the WiiU in the guest room so when I have friends/family come in from wherever they can at least access Netflix or play a game if they want to at night.

I have a feeling though somewhere down the road I'm going to want to go back and play something with the Gamepad just to re-experience it. I don't know if we'll see that ever come back, sadly. If it does, I'm sure it will be done by Sony and touted as the next big, must have thing in gaming. Seems like something that would just happen.
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu Well-Known Member

My wii U is gonna be worth tons in the future so I'm playing as much xeno x, tw101 and bayo 2 as I can atm lol
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Superfakerbros

Superfakerbros ECE 2018 Staff Member Moderator

Whenever I've gone in to trade in my games, I've pretty much always regretted it so there's no way in hell I'm doing it again, unless it's a game I REALLY don't give a shit about or the game is getting a remaster / remake on a newer system

Thing is, I almost always go back to my older games every now and again, just for the nostalgia. I may not play them to completion but I kind of don't need to to get some satisfaction
    • Like Like x 2
  18. tekshow

tekshow Active Member

I have always traded stuff in and never or rarely missed it. Well I'm conscious of what I trade in and don't part with absolutely everything. Although my Wii, DS, PS3, PS4, (have a Pro) and Vita are long gone.

My 3ds plays the whole DS library and the U is a monster of a legacy system. For that reason I plan to keep the U hooked up where it is. It plays so many games from every single Nintendo console I just feel like I should keep it. Plus if the Switch doesn't get VC GameCube games I'll finally break down and hack the U. (It plays them natively, but not from disc)

I'd been saving for the Switch since prior to the October trailer. I'm pretty set and accounted for everything except storage. I just got a 200gig Micro card for .. $60 I think? Ready for launch day! :D
    • Like Like x 2
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  19. simplyTravis

Instead of purging my library I'm wrapping up some games before the Switch comes out.

• Mad Max PC
    • Pillars of Eternity PC (70 hours in and still never officially beat the game)
    • Xcom 2 PC (yayyyy Humble Bundle Monthly for February!)
    • Battlefield 1 PC Campaign Mode
    • Street Fighter V PC Story Modes
    I figure once Zelda comes out these games will be left in the dust for some time.
  20. theMightyME

theMightyME Editor in Chief of TVEnthusiast

I was trying to do the same, to get through paper mario... But it had been a while and I have no idea what I am supposed to do now
  21. Redhatdrawler

Redhatdrawler Active Member

Don't do it bro. If you do keep your first party stuff... don't get rid of CoD either... that game is still amazing imo...
    • Like Like x 1
  22. mattavelle1

I'm just not gonna play CoD anymore........but yeah I won't get rid of my 1st parties anyhow.
    • Like Like x 1
  23. mattavelle1

Well gentlemen after much deliberation and soul searching I'm ready to move on from my library. I'm only keepin my special editions and certain first party titles from Wii and WiiU. I also decided to keep my entire GC library as I can't get those anywhere else.

I'm really just ready to move on and start anew with Switch.
    • Like Like x 4
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  24. CitizenOfVerona

Keep your No More Heroes games!
    • Like Like x 2
  25. EvilTw1n

EvilTw1n Necessary Evil Staff Member Moderator

The last time I culled my collection, it was to get GoldenEye on Wii. I nearly regretted that decision until I read the customization guide @juegosmajicos made back at IGN. But back then, I was far more likely to have a bunch of games I wasn't going to come back to. There wasn't really much need to keep old copies of Madden and the like. But I don't really have those games now. I've become far more selective with my games. So I'm probably gonna keep 'em and put them in my own library shelf one day.
    • Like Like x 3
  26. mattavelle1

Honestly they were the first 2 gone.
    • LOL LOL x 2
  27. FriedShoes

brutal
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  28. mattavelle1

Hey you guys have great taste what can I say.
  29. CitizenOfVerona

Being a shit knocker I thought I was immune to disappointment.

I was wrong.
    • LOL LOL x 4
  30. mattavelle1

So far I sold my best friend in real life (he has a 5&3 year old son) He got all Wii games MK7, Excite Truck / Excite Bot, Donkey King Country, RE4 Wii edition, and 3 3DS Skylanders for 50$.

I figure it's probably more than Gamestop would give me. Plus there goin to someone who kids will get tired of them later in life and I'll buy them back.

It felt surprising good tho fam. He's already texting me about how much his son is lovin excite truck. And he's never played RE4 EVER! There kids love DK, and Mario kart GONNA Mario kart.

So right now I'm really happy. The games I have commited to people right now after this is

NMH1&2 / Yoshi Wolly world to @Shoulder

And MK8 / Capt toad to another friend of mine.
    • Like Like x 4
    • LOL LOL x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  31. CitizenOfVerona

Has @Shoulder never played the NMH games yet?
  32. Shoulder

Shoulder Beardy McShoulder chippin' In...

Aye, correctamundo.

Oh, and @mattavelle1 You forgot to include Sin & Punishment: Star Successor in your post. :mthumb:
    • Like Like x 3
  33. mattavelle1

Yeah I did I got it set out aswell i just forgot it in the post.
    • Like Like x 2
  34. EvilTw1n

EvilTw1n Necessary Evil Staff Member Moderator

That's cool, dude, pretty awe--
    [​IMG]
    • LOL LOL x 4
  35. mattavelle1

I kept my metal case original GC RE4
  36. Shoulder

Shoulder Beardy McShoulder chippin' In...

Except RE4: Wii Edition is still THE definitive version of the game. :msrs:
    • Like Like x 2
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  37. mattavelle1

I'm not saying it's not. I'm not gonna play RE4 again, if I want to I can buy it back from my friend. Or I can just boot up my GC edition.

Fellas y'all may not agree with my decisions on any of this at all. Selling those first games to break the ice felt great, and now some people who haven't ever had that experice before are now getting to do so.
    • Like Like x 1
  38. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

You despicable piece of shit. :eek: Think of his children!

Let's fix that shall we?

grammatical misinterpretations are fun.
    • LOL LOL x 1
  39. mattavelle1

I see you have read many of my post. You must have fun on the daily :msilly:
    • Like Like x 1
  40. CitizenOfVerona

Man...you're in for something else
    • Like Like x 2
  41. Goodtwin

Goodtwin Well-Known Member

I almost always regret selling games and consoles, at some point, I typically wish I could give a game another go. Luckily the Vitrual Console allowed me to get rid of my N64, and still have access to my most cherished games of that era. I know we had a ton of fun back then with Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, but I am pretty sure I would have a seizure if I tried to played those games today. The framerate was so freaking terrible. The nice thing with the virtual console is many N64 games play in a much higher resolution than they did on the N64. Playing Ogre Battle 64 on the Virtual Console is a nice bump from the original on N64.

With that said, if your pretty confident that you wont have sellers remorse, and someobody else can enjoy the games that would otherwise sit on the shelf or even in a box in the attic, I suppose that's a great too. I'm sure @mattavelle1 will enjoy hearing his buddies talk about all the enjoyment he and his kids are having with those great games.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  42. mattavelle1

That's exactly what has happened so far Goodtwin. I just got off the phone with my friend and he was talkin about how badass that excitetrucks is today.

And honestly I don't know if this is more wishing than anything. But I do think at some point during some generation I will be able to access all those games again thru a streaming service.

I shipped of NMH1&2 / Sin & Pinishment for Wii / Yoshi Woolley World to @Shoulder today. THERE IN THE MAIL MY MAN!!!
    • Like Like x 4
  43. mattavelle1

Pettled 80 more dollars worth of games tonight on some fellas I just found out are big Nintendo fans. :mgrin:

These were all 3DS / DS games tho which was different because nobody has bought them yet.

My Kempo instructor told me today he would buy my old Wii consoles and some games. Pretty jazzed about that. So far all my games have went to people I know.
    • Like Like x 3
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  44. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

That's what I do every generation. So far, I've got no regrets. I'm no collector, though, and I don't like keeping too much stuff. I like my house minimalist.

However, buying only online stuff has its cons. But I'm still more into online stuff than keeping games and other things.

I've got a decent book collection, though, and I'm thinking about getting rid of it. Too much space for books that I'll never read again and we've got to clean and tidy them up every month. A lot of trouble for a beautiful wall of books, you know. So, I'll never have a wall of games.
    • Like Like x 1
  45. FriedShoes

I have way too many books lying around to, but I dont have a clue what to do with them. Cant exactly sell them, I dont think.
    Especially since a good number of them I have accidentally stolen from various schools and libraries.
    • LOL LOL x 3
  46. sjmartin79

sjmartin79 White Phoenix of the Crown

If I was looking to sell my Gamecube and Wii collection, do you guys have any suggestions on the best way to do it?
    I've seen several places online like Decluttr and eStarland that do it.

I've always said I would just keep it, but I haven't played any of those games in years. And they are just sitting there taking up space.
  47. CitizenOfVerona

I just went to EB Games and they had a poster saying as of last November they weren't taking anymore Wii related things. That includes games, systems and accessories.

I assume this is the same dealio with Gamestop, but who knows, maybe Trudeau just hates Nintendo.
  48. FriedShoes

Dunno, I traded a bunch of my Wii stuff last week and didnt have a problem, maybe its a very new policy.
  49. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

Damn, I gotta go into my local GameStop real soon then.
  50. mattavelle1

I have successfully purged my DS/3DS/Wii/WiiU library. I'm driven home right now once I get settled I'll tell you my process.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1