The Ex Officio Fire Emblem Thread - Prepare Yourself

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by CitizenOfVerona, Jan 19, 2017.

1. CitizenOfVerona

CitizenOfVerona Spectacular Staff Member

[​IMG]
    With a number of new Fire Emblem announcements, I thought I'd go ahead and make a universal Fire Emblem thread. We can use this thread for announcements, discussions, etc.

Our first new game is Fire Emblem Warriors for Switch and New 3DS

Next up is Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia

The Fire Emblem Mobile game Heroes

Lastly, the Fire Emblem game for Switch

[​IMG]
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  2. CitizenOfVerona

With all these announcements it lit the fire under my ass to get back to Fates. After Conquest's ending I just couldn't bring myself to piss away that ending right away so I waited to play Revelation. I eventually forgot about it but booted it up last night. I'm re-doing the first 6 chapters since I can't remember much about it, but even after a few minutes I'm getting really into it.

With Echoes in May and Switch's FE in 2018, I don't want to fall too far behind in the series.

I also have a question about the series if anyone knows, I tried looking it up but couldn't get a definite answer. My first real experience with FE was with Awakening (yeah, I'm that guy). I did play a DS remake for a bit but didn't get far. Anyways, my question is: Why is Awakening and Birthright mostly "rout the enemy" in terms of it's mission objective? Conquest had more variety in it's maps and objectives, so how come Birthright couldn't? Is it because they wanted Awakening and Birthright to be welcoming to newcomers that they were afraid variety would scare them off?

I do want to go back to the older ones one day, but with some much coming out now, I don't want to get sick of the series. Oh well.
  3. BobSilencieux

BobSilencieux Well-Known Member

New Fire Emblem looks absolutely nothing like old Fire Emblem. A few of the older FE games are some of my absolute favourite games of all time; I just love everything about them and replay them fairly regularly, but I haven't been able to bring myself to try Awakening or anything more recent because they look... well, they look like they've gone in a direction that I wouldn't appreciate. Which makes me a little sad.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

So far, I really like the art Direction of Fire Emblem Valentia, although the entire time the trailer was giving back story I could not help be feel the entire plot could resolved with this:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Goodtwin

Goodtwin Well-Known Member

I have never played a FE game, but will lookhard at Warriors later this year. A good way to introduce meself to the characters I suppose.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 1
  6. CitizenOfVerona

I hear this a lot. Echoes seems like a return to form since it's a remake of 2. As someone who never really delved into the older FE games, I'm not sure what exactly about the new games turns people away. I hear the joke "Waifu Wars" and all that, but I mean, the tactical turn based gameplay is still there. With series like Metroid and Paper Mario, yeah the new ones are very different compared to the old one, but I don't see it as much with FE since all the things people seem to complain about is optional fluff.

They got a new character designer/artist and I must say I do like the redsigns.

Walking around in a dungeon in a 3rd person perspective excites me.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

[​IMG]

I am very conflicted on this.
    • LOL LOL x 1
  8. Goodtwin

Goodtwin Well-Known Member

How so?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
  9. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I have no doubt that Fire Emblem Warriors will be a fun game, but I am not sure it is a good entry point for newcomers interested in the main series. Getting introduced to these characters and potentially their stories could potentially spoil a lot of the key plot points or introductions should you ever intend to play any of the existing games in the series.

Generally speaking, most Fire emblem games are contained stories with few or no connections to other iterations; characters, settings, and plot points are often completely unrelated between one game and the next. Jumping into Fire Emblem Warriors might be a mistake in that it is (most likely) geared exclusively towards fans of the series when it comes to its content.

I would personally reccomend playing one of the original games first if you are interested in the series, Fire Emblem a fantastic strategy series that could use all the love it can get (Especially the GBA/GC titles), however if you are just looking for another Warriors games to play on the other hand and not so much the main series, I say go all in.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. FriedShoes

FriedShoes MLG Staff Member Moderator

Reminder to vote for the Official TNE FE Hero every night.
    https://events.fire-emblem-heroes.com/vote/series/110/heroes/110049?locale=en-US

I'm very much looking forward to see the great modelers at KT and Omega Force handle characters like Tharja, Camilla, Lyn, Orochi, etc.

Heroes looks ok, beyond making a team of waifus and then dying I doubt I'll play it much. Seems to have a nice wide amount of fanservice in it, at least, which couples well alongside Warriors.
    Speaking to Warriors, I hope it is dumbed down instead of dumbed up. Hyrule Warriors, for instance, looks and runs better on Wii U than 3DS, naturally. It even allows for more visual effects and even models. I don't want to see Fire Emblem Warriors be held back to create parity between the two version. Looks fine though, from the brief snippet.

Disappointed to see Echoes as a 3DS game, even if it is just a remake. Looks pretty cool, like the artstyle as well.
    At the very least am pleased to see Switch is getting a full fledged game at some point next year, hopefully Echoes is the last time Emblem spends its days on 3DS.

I really am happy to see the resurgence in this franchise. Its healthy and fresh now, hopefully gives Nintendo some confidence to dip again into its more neglected IPs.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 Fly to the treasure chest and back Staff Member Moderator

Ok being no fan of RPGs fire emblem has never been on my radar outside of me using Marth in Smash Melee and Brawl.

For me I'm really excited for the Fire Emblem Warriors. I've never played a warriors game either and the World of FE seems all to perfect for this kinda game and setting.

So on the Switch I'm super excited to try for the first time both FE and a Warriors game (I love hord mode games way to much)
    • Like Like x 2
  12. repomech

repomech resident remnant robot relic

As a shameless fan of the Warriors games (and Fire Emblem), I want it noted on the record that my reaction to the announcement of Hyrule Warriors (actually it predates that, but I was especially vocal at that time) was that it should be Fire Emblem Warriors. The written references should be all over this site. And now here we are. I'm pretty happy about this.

At this stage I am very curious about the smartphone game. I'm going to give it a try. I don't have a strong sense of whether I will enjoy it, whether it will have a lasting appeal, whether its mechanics and progression will work with in-app purchases, or feel cheapened and shorted by it - but I'm hoping that if they learned from what Puzzle & Dragons does right, we might have a decent game in our hands.

I am as well - with a couple caveats. 1. Since it's where the popularity surged, I've felt we're stuck with "Awakening" FE as the baseline art-style and mechanics and layout of the game (while there's no going back, here's hoping they feel courageous enough to push outside that template for the Switch edition - seeing as it's a "return to home consoles" in Nintendo's words); 2. Re: neglected IP's - with respect to one franchise specifically, it's had the opposite effect if anything. It's pretty clear Intelligent Systems has been tied up with Fire Emblem as the new success story, and Advance Wars is now a dormant IP.

It's tough. We went from almost losing Fire Emblem, from the localisation of Awakening being "announced" as an off-stage aside in response to a media question at E3, to Awakening being the break-out hit it was and Fire Emblem having enough news and prestige to get a dedicated Direct. Some fans feel the price was that it lost its soul in the process. I can understand that, even if I don't entirely agree (my objections are more cosmetic - and there are things I would still want to see evolved such as more tactically significant layered terrain with corresponding difference in enemy behaviour).
    • Like Like x 3
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  13. CitizenOfVerona

Updated thread title to have "Official" in it, since that seems to be the cool thing to do these days.
    • LOL LOL x 4
  14. mattavelle1

Man your so freakin cool it hurts!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  15. mattavelle1

Ever since your post I can't help but notice it. And yeah, I'm about to do something different. They can still THE the official thread but I'm about to change something after I give it some good thought Ima change the official in the title to something else.
  16. CitizenOfVerona

You do you dawg.
    • LOL LOL x 2
  17. sjmartin79

sjmartin79 White Phoenix of the Crown

Newest info is that the Fire Emblem mobile game will launch on Android and iOS on the same day.
    (Not sure if this was mentioned before)
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Roy Kappa

Roy Kappa Kirbyfan391 from IGN

ROY ROY ROY

also fire emblem gaiden was a p good game and hahaha it actually answers that "why not both?" question too btw @Koenig ;)
  19. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I feel very much the same way about the series. I am glad it has finally met the success it needed to survive, but I really hope the series returns to its roots in terms of art direction and tone. I mix of old and new would go a long way toward rekindling my love of the series.
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  20. Socar

Socar Active Member

Play Awakening and Fates. You'll be surprised how those games turn out to be fun in the end.

Wow....now FE is even popular over here as well! So you guys play FE a lot and are you familiar with how stats change and whatnot?
  21. Socar

Socar Active Member

I feel very much the same way about the series. I am glad it has finally met the success it needed to survive, but I really hope the series returns to its roots in terms of art direction and tone. I mix of old and new would go a long way toward rekindling my love of the series.[/QUOTE]

FE has always used modern art ever since it started. You don't see Nintendo redrawing those artstyles because those styles are outdated. I don't mind Kozaki-San's artstyle but I have a feeling that Nintendo might change the artstyle sooner or later.

There's a difference between Advance Wars and FE. Wars couldn't sell very well even within Japan unlike FE which is the exact opposite. FE is now more popular all because Awakening was made to appeal to nearly every other gamer besides the hardcore ones.

Whether you miss the old games or not, FE in general has been consistently good throughout. Sure, there might be flaws here and there but that's typical for an IP. If you played Fates, then you would know how they tried to appeal new and old fans alike and while Birthright sold higher than Conquest, Conquest still did decently well so there's still hope for Nintendo to change FE further.

My only odd feeling to this is that how is it that all of a sudden FE has become a known Nintendo IP when back then, it was a niche one to the point that only the hardcore fans would appreciate it....I guess it shows what you can do if you put effort into marketing.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. repomech

repomech resident remnant robot relic

The art direction has shifted several times over the years but those shifts were perhaps always more subtle than the shift that occurred with Awakening, or perhaps the fact of drastic graphics improvement from system to system in the 90's and early 2000's meant that shifts in art direction were less perceptible in the games themselves, or at least easily conflated with the change in graphics. In some ways it's always had, for its era, a somewhat generic anime style when it comes to characters and shaping the concept and cover art - with what constitutes a "generic anime" look changing quite a lot over the years (my preferences skew heavily towards the 80's and 90's in this respect). Costume and armor designs definitely took the most dramatic shift with Awakening, and imo leave a great deal to be desired. While I felt some of it worked a lot better in Fates, specifically with the Japanese inspired faction, it's depiction of more European inspired clothes and armor has never worked for me.

Tonally...yeah. I still need to sort out my own thoughts on this, but what happened? How is it so different? I can't put my finger on it, but a game like Sacred Stones seemed...darker, despite having relatively similar character archetypes, the same basic plot premise as ever, and tonally lighter elements (this is no Berserk).

But it's the exact opposite. Awakening had very nearly zero marketing behind it.
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Karkashan

Karkashan Well-Known Member

Old Fire Emblem was "Get to this specific point on the map, probably a fort or a throne. Now have your Lord character Seize it since only Lords can do that for some reason". Not as old Fire Emblem was "Eugenics", then it was all about supports and reclassing, then it was all about supports and the Thundercats, then it was remakes and remakes with supports, then it was finally Awakening with its supports, eugenics, reclassing and finally making Tiki a proper waifu for the fandom to fawn over.

Oh, and Thracia was just pain and terror and oh god why wrapped in a SRPG skin.

praisegrima
    • Like Like x 2
  24. Socar

Socar Active Member

The fact that it was revealed in the Nintendo direct alone was good enough for it to be on good marketing.
  25. Socar

Socar Active Member

As for whether Warriors is a game to lure new games to FE, remember that Smash is how we knew of Fire Emblem's existence and that's when we started getting FE games.
  26. CitizenOfVerona

So from what I'm gathering, Fire Emblem slowly changed it's art style and added some new features over time...and that's why it's totally different and needs to go back to it's roots?

edit: So couldn't you say the same thing for Final Fantasy and say 6,7 and 8 are unrecognizable from 1-5?

I guess this is something I'm just gonna have to see for myself, I'm gonna have to get the GBA ones I suppose.

I will say though that I thought Conquest's later chapters were fucked up and pretty dark. Some things happened that made me feel pretty sad, then the ending - I beat the game last winter/spring and I still think about that ending from time to time.
    • Like Like x 2
  27. FriedShoes

The header image for this thread doesnt even make me think the artstyle has changed all that much either.
    • Like Like x 1
  28. Socar

Socar Active Member

That's because they used the same artists for each of those games until Awakening. There is still a lot of difference between them all.
  29. FriedShoes

Its always been animu trash tho
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  30. FriedShoes

not saying I dont like it, but its all varying levels of anime. I just find it strange that one gets more flack for being anime while the others don't. Hell, the Radiant Dawn era stuff is pure anime
    • Like Like x 1
  31. CitizenOfVerona

I'm no expert on anime, but old Fire Emblem box art seems to be in line with popular anime of that time in terms of style.
  32. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I for one favor the Path of Radiance style the most, as it seemed to land somewhere on the peak between medieval generic anime creativity.
    • Like Like x 1
  33. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

The series has always had anime in its veins, but it is very apparent that it is has been cranked up to 11 in recent games. How else did we go from this:
    [​IMG]

To this:
    [​IMG]
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  34. FriedShoes

compare apples to apples, Pelleas is not that far off from a Stahl type or a Libra.
    [​IMG]
  35. Socar

Socar Active Member

Of course its anime....what do you expect it to be?
  36. CitizenOfVerona

From Fire Emblem on NES

[​IMG]

Fire Emblem Awakening

[​IMG]

I stand by that slightly changing the style doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things. Different artists are gonna put there own stamp on it. Cherry picking some characters really doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things.

From what I've seen of the GBA ones, the turn based strategy mechanics seems to be largely the same with some tweaks. The weapons triangle is the same as ever. Again, I'm limited in knowledge with the old ones, but it seems to me that Fire Emblem is one of the most 'safe' Nintendo properties to this day.

I could also use other examples, like how Mario is now in New York City with realistically proportioned humans, yet it's still Mario.

I'm not really trying to start an argument here or anything, but I'm truly baffled how an evolution/change/alteration in art style makes a game series unrecognizable from prior games.

Tone wise I can't say much. I stated before how dark Conquest can be towards the end and how sad it left me. Again though, I bring up Final Fantasy, the tone alters between games going from a brooding protagonist to a swash buckling upbeat type the next one. Maybe I'm in the dark since I started with Awakening, but whatever, I'm having fun with Fates Revelation now and Awakening made me a fan of the series.
    • Like Like x 2
  37. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I did, Pelleas was a dark mage/sorcerer was he not? The exact same class as Tharja.
    • Like Like x 1
  38. Karkashan

[​IMG]
    Pelleas was actually a Dark Sage, a class that was unique to him and only appeared in that game. Although if you were to compare him to a dark mage from FE13, Henry probably would've been better.

praisegrima
    • Like Like x 1
  39. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I wonder why Dark Mages were completely absent in Path of Radiance? I mean for fuck sake priests could use Nosferatu.
  40. Karkashan

The Radiant games went a little overboard with the complicating of magic. Also a little overboard with the unique classes as well.

praisegrima
    • Like Like x 1
  41. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

Although I would argue that they (Path of radiance to specific) had the better written and paced storyline. I don't know what it was, but I found the rest of the Fire emblem games I have played (With maybe the exception of the sacred stones) to just be...dull. I don't know what it is, but I don't find them as compelling to complete.
  42. Karkashan

I would say that the radiant games had a better general storyline, but it kinda lacked in the character department in comparison.

praisegrima
    • Like Like x 1
  43. Socar

Socar Active Member

Once upon a time, there was Intelligent Systems that was sort of founded by some of the Nintendo staff that grew to be a gaming company it is now known as today.

Within this time, they made a game called Fire Emblem: Blade of light for the NES in Japan and while the game was never intended to be sold commercially, it ended up doing that and as a result, Fire Emblem became IS main IP.

And yet, Nintendo for some reason decided to remain this IP exclusive in Japan so US didn't get to see FE at all until by accident, Nintendo released two smash characters that were based on Fire Emblem and the western market was curious about them....that and after the release of Advance Wars, Nintendo decided "hmm, maybe they want Fia Emblem too!"

And so we get Blazing Blade and it hit pretty hard as that was the game that made Nintendo wanted to release FE overseas. So with this we end up getting great FE games and Nintendo is all happy and dandy....right?

Yeah, the big bombs started showing up, Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn and New Mystery of the Emblem. So Nintendo with this decided to like literally blackmail IS that if the next FE game doesn't sell at least 250k, they are screwed and somehow by heaven's luck, Awakening sold huger than what Blazing Blade did and then Fates outdid them both in a matter of weeks.

So what I'm getting at? Fire Emblem unlike the other IPs has a very...very odd and underwhelming history and leaves a lot of questions left unanswered.

Usually when an IP is introduced and when an IP is being successful, fans tend to learn how the franchise came out to be and what inspired the devs to like do what eventually made the series happen. Like Mario for example, Miyamoto got the idea of making Super Mario when he went out and explored stuff from within and from reading books like Alice in Wonderland which is how the idea of the Mushroom Kingdom existed. Or how about Pokemon which is basically inspired by the Japanese old hobby Bug catching?

Well...where is that kind of inspiration depth for Fire Emblem? Better yet, why has Nintendo kept that a secret for so long even now? All I read whenever I research for how FE came out to be is that the devs wanted to make a simulation game and they mixed ideas from Advance Wars and added elements from Dragon's Quest..that's it. Nothing that deep or even that thoughtful.

Now I'm very sure that you'll mention Shouzou Kaga that he's the main creator for FE. Well if he's the main one behind FE, then what was his reason of quitting Nintendo? We got the reason why Masahiro Sakurai left Hal because Hal kept forcing him to milk more Kirby games so what about Kaga-San's case? Nothing....and we know so little of what he's doing now.

So ok leave out that one, why aren't we getting more interviews from music composer Yuka Tsujiyoko like the main composer behind FE? We get a heap chunk of interviews from Koji Kondo but why not from her?

Then this gives Nintendo the big doubt here...why have they decided to give it multiple chances? They could've easily left out the IP like how they left out F-Zero, Advance Wars, Golden Sun and many..many more? Why is it that Nintendo still had faith in it knowing that it was never going to do even Zelda numbers in the first place? By that logic, then they should develop the same faith in other IPs like Metroid and F-Zero and honestly...Advance Wars.

This alone leaves some point unanswered like.

1. Why they decided to make Radiant Dawn hard as hell when they could just do the same thing they did for Blazing Blade and PoR?

2. Why did they decide to only release New Mystery of the Emblem Japan exclusive when quite frankly, they are partly to blame for the low sales of said bomb games?

3. Why has Nintendo not provided proper resources to make said bombs have hopes of selling them better? When you look at PoR and RD, the graphics are objectively ugly and don't even come on par with that of..say Luigi's Mansion?

These are a lot of things that I just don't get when looking at this IP. At first and midway, no one's heard of FE except its niche audience and now all of a sudden, people know it for some magic that Awakening did. and now...people are crazy about FE like Pokemon.

However, with all of this said, I love Fire Emblem simply because it is such a great series to me and I aim to play FE games consistently like how I do for Mario, Zelda Kirby etc and if it weren't for Awakening, I wouldn't have gotten into FE at all.

But if Nintendo thinks FE as a major IP, I think they should provide the information and unanswered questions resolved. Like for example, how many units has the FE franchise sold overall?
  44. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

Setting nostalgia aside for a bit; I would love to see a 3D successor to the fire emblem games akin to how Battalion Wars was a 3D take on Advanced Wars. For the longest time I could not figure out how such a story/character heavy game like Fire Emblem could make such a transition with it's core values intact, but I think I found I game that would serve as an excellent frame work that it could be built on. Mordheim City of the Damned

Extra Credits did a fantastic summary in one of their videos for those who are interested in how the game works.

(Skip to 2:58)

And for those who want a more comprehensive albeit infinity dryer take on the gameplay, here is a gameplay explanation.

What do you guys think?
  45. Karkashan

Well, I won't watch Extra Credits because I hate those guys, so.... I watched some of the second video. I could see a Fire Emblem game in a heavily edited yet similar vein to that.

praisegrima
    • Like Like x 1
  46. FriedShoes

[​IMG]
    Hope you all did your duty.
    • Like Like x 1
  47. Karkashan

Uh...

[​IMG]
    ... I guess I did?

praisegrima
    • LOL LOL x 1
  48. sjmartin79

sjmartin79 White Phoenix of the Crown

If anyone is playing Fire Emblem heroes, my code is 4173238947
  49. Karkashan

Well, almost started my path to being a whale but it appears the emulator I'm using has problems connecting my card to Google, so I guess I'm stuck doing things the free way.

Got a communication error right after finishing one of the rotating character battles, that's kinda annoying but whatevs.

praisegrima
  50. CitizenOfVerona

I'm skipping Heroes.