The Great CT - Community Thread

Discussion in 'Community Hang-Out' started by mattavelle1, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

I'd add Contra 3 to that list. The pacing is perfect, with a new boss pretty much every 5 minutes. In my opinion it's one of the best action games of all time.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Shoulder

Shoulder Shouldy McShoulderface chippin' in

Mighty forgot one of the most important games of the SNES though: F-Zero. I'd also replace MK2 with MK3, but that's my preference.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. theMightyME

theMightyME Editor in Chief of TVEnthusiast

F Zero and the original Kart haven't aged well, 3d was a game changer for those franchises... Important but not that good anymore.... MK3 was atrocious... That is when the ninjas starting wearing bmx gear, and a run button and a forced shitty combo system were added in that ruined the gameplay
  4. Socar

Socar Active Member

A gamecube mini is pretty pointless and a far more expensive thing for Nintendo to do. Better just remake games or find someone capable of porting them to VC.
  5. Socar

Socar Active Member

Speaking of which, what happens to older Zelda games before Botw existed? Would you find them outdated or would you still value them to this day?

I don't mind what Nintendo does with Zelda now. Its just that the change is so drastic that there's a very good chance that the fanbase will be further divided on this.

I mean, I'm one of those that has a soft spot for Link's Awakening and Phantom Hourglass...
  6. Juegos

It's just like the difference between A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time, or Super Metroid and Metroid Prime. It's a different type of game now, but it doesn't detract from what the older games were in their time. Personally, I'm sure I'll continue to enjoy those older styles as classic, and they'll continue being made by developers in the future, just like there are developers making 2D platformers like Shovel Knight today. But my expectations for modern AAA games are going to be higher now, and I'll be disappointed when a game like Assassin's Creed still doesn't have a complex physics and chemistry engine, doesn't have a world filled with awesome landscapes and locations, and doesn't have fun mini-dungeons and mini-puzzles to discover everywhere (such as shrines and koroks).
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Socar

Socar Active Member

Ok this is bugging me on my head for odd reasons.

Is there really more in emulation than JUST porting old games to newer systems?

And is it really true that compared to emulators, the VC emulates games poorly? I'm currently facing an argument and according to the said arguement, Nintendo basically downloaded Super Mario Bros rom and sold it on the Wii Virtual console. So what's wrong with that notion if its an obvious fact that they OWN the damn game to begin with?
  8. FriedShoes

FriedShoes $nipperMod Staff Member Moderator

The VC does emulate games poorly. imo. colors have just been dim and washed out since the Wii.
    I dont mind that Nintendo sells them (and overprices them), whatever, I dont buy many VC games so it doesnt bug me too much. I do find it a little shameful that they sell it as such with minimal effort put into making it look decent.
  9. Socar

Socar Active Member

Its the exact same dimness even for the original systems as well. If you ask me, VC just emulated the whole game including the dim colors...that's the whole point of emulation, to emulate the original.
  10. FriedShoes

I wanna disagree with you, but I dont have any wires to connect a NES to a CRT and see for myself.
    I will say that any free emulator out there doesnt share the same dimness.
    Even Nintendo's own NES Classic mini-console works to make the games brighter and vibrant.

"Emulate what I remember" -Me, and maybe some other people.
    If its dim, brighten it up. If its washed out, saturate it. Dont release stuff you clearly recognize as looking subpar.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. EvilTw1n

EvilTw1n Necessary Evil Staff Member Moderator

I started a playthrough of ALttP last fall. I haven't gotten back around to seeing it through because I'd honestly rather play ALBW. For me, it's that good - it has made a consensus GOAT-tier game that was supposedly ageless feel dated and a touch clunky by comparison.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

So, I still have to play the best 3D and the best 2D Zelda games.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

I haven't played ALTTP for 10 years I guess.
  14. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

How so? Also porting said games to new systems would likely cost far more than just building a system capable of emulating the original roms.
  15. Shoulder

Has to do with the hardware required to emulate the games properly in the first place. You certainly can't use the original hardware since it doesn't exist anymore, so you either custom make a purpose built hardware chip that can emulate it perfectly, or you just simply release the games into the Switch since the Tegra chip is for sure plenty powerful enough to emulate GCN games.
  16. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

But what is the cost associated with preparing each individual game to run on the Switch? Using a chip designed to emulate the gamecube and at low cost would likely be far more efficient in the long run. Nintendo would be wise to make a "Classic" system for each of their consoles in due time, although I certainly would not be apposed to having GC games on VCON in addition to that. The more choices consumers have the better.
  17. Shoulder

You just answered your own question.

If it's cost, then Nintendo are better off not bothering in creating a new chip designed for GCN emulation, and instead just emulating GCN games onto the Switch, which in the scheme of things shouldn't be too difficult, given the overhead between the original hardware, and the current Switch hardware.

It is certainly not impossible for them to do this, given there's already talk about a SNES classic, which likely has a similar ARM processor to emulate. And then the following year, you might have a N64 classic, and maybe a GCN Classic if that ever comes to be.

But again, it's already possible to run Gamecube games on a nVidia Shield TV using Dolphin, and that's using unofficial means with unofficial emulators. If Nintendo were to do the same for the Switch, it's very likely possible to get near-perfect emulation with Gamecube games.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

This is precisely what I was alluding to in my original post.
  19. GaemzDood

GaemzDood Well-Known Member

Metal Slug > Contra

Sent from my SM-G900V using genital warts
  20. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

Speaking of which, I just bought Metal Slug 3 last night. It was a blast, though unfortunately short given its arcade nature. I do think Metal Slug has some of the most beautiful pixel art/animation ever to grace a tv screen.
  21. FriedShoes

you need to buy Neo Turf Masters
  22. Juegos

I've played the Metal Slug games since they were in the arcades, they are definitely amazing. I would say Metal Slug X is the best one of the bunch, with Metal Slug 3 a close second. That said, these games are designed to eat your quarters, which means that they're frustratingly difficult to master if you don't want to use more than a few coins, or are too easy with infinite lives. That said, they're all top of the line sidescrollers.
    • Like Like x 1
  23. GaemzDood

GaemzDood Well-Known Member

Contra is hard as shit too. The best solution is to git gud.

Sent from my SM-G900V using genital warts
  24. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I can testify to this. It took me 58 continues (Credits) to beat the game in 30 minutes.
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Juegos

There is no comparison between the difficulty of Contra 3 and Metal Slug 3, though. Metal Slug is designed as a bullet hell game with bullet sponge bosses and constant enemies rushing you down. In Contra, most enemies die from a single bullet, and bosses don't overwhelm you with bullets so much in spite of having a larger variety of attacks. For me, it's much more fun to master a game like Contra than a game like Metal Slug. Both are great games for sure, though.
  26. Shoulder

Right, which is why I think given the potential time it would be before that would happen, it would be much better served if Nintendo just put GCN games onto the Switch for emulation rather than spending the extra time and effort trying to do something separate entirely.
  27. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

[​IMG]
  28. Socar

Socar Active Member

The NES classic uses a HDMI port so of course its going to have brighter colors and whatnot.

I still feel that bickering about the poor quality of the VC is ridiculous. Can't you just adjust the color brightness of your tv to fix the said dim issue?
  29. FriedShoes

The Wii U uses an HDMI port too, lol

I could, maybe, but thats a hassle I shouldnt have to deal with. Considering what I often have to go through when I do calibrate my TV, something else will screw up when I do mess with the settings to make it less "dim" (its not that the brightness is down, its just got an ugly gray color over it all), it just wouldnt look right.

I mean, thats just one issue with VC. There are sometimes gameplay problems as well. Mario 64 was and maybe still does suffer from bad input lag.
  30. theMightyME

you can't correct all the visual shit by adjusting your tv too, there is an expression... garbage in, garbage out... or you miught have heard a similar one about polishign a turd... the wii u VC has issues, issues less present on the wii vc, and FAR less present on the NES classic... it is bad emulation... when you are paying $5 for a 30 eyar old game, the emulation shouldn't be shitty
    • Like Like x 1
  31. Socar

Socar Active Member

And what about the emulation for the GBA games?
  32. theMightyME

gba emulation actually seems okay... but the nes emulation in particular was pretty shitty
  33. Socar

Socar Active Member

Decided to get Kirby's Dream Land and got the serial number.....

Time to post top 5 Nintendo IPs of your favorites

1. Mario: What can I say? Dude's awesome, his games are simple to play while at the same time have challenges here and there and just has lovable characters. Most of the levels that I play in Super Mario games are fresh and creative and has a lot of diversity around.

Levels have a lot of variety and the ones in Super Mario Maker prove this. Sure, the level's background and visuals along with the names may not be anywhere as memorable as say the ones in Sonic but they are still fun to play and its quite easy to get accustomed to his games. I like how the Mario games have their unique quirkiness and how each enemy has its own uniqueness in them that most platform games don't seem to have

The dude also does a whole lot to the platforming genre compared to the other guys out there. Super Mario 64...lots of memories here and the same for Sunshine and Galaxy too!

But no he doesn't stop there. He goes even further having spin offs that somehow are on par with his main games. I love the RPG series and the M Vs DK series too alongside the Party ones and who can forget the kart series too!

His personality may look simple but sometimes, simple characters are all that's needed to make an awesome IP blend in together.

2. Kirby: Kirby is pretty much the same as Mario only the guy is a cute copy cat. I love the abilities that each game gives out and how the games tend to have a little bit more of a replay value compared to Mario.

And before anyone here rants on how easy Kirby games are....I think you need to understand what platform games are really. Platform games were never meant to be hard, they were meant to be played short and simple which is why mastering comes to play. Think of any platform game that you find hard and I can easily tell you that its not that hard. Sure, there are some exceptions that games like Rayman(the first one) are pretty hard but when you really think about it, when these games have precise and floaty controls, all it takes is a bit of practice and you can easily master it. Never do platform games force you to do anything complex otherwise its a design flaw.

Kirby games don't have any of that complexity. They were never meant to be complex. The simplicity is what makes them great and I'm really fine with that. And just like Mario, even when you include the spin offs, there aren't that many bad Kirby games out there and I can't think of one...

Kirby may not be as big as Mario but he can sure as hell come close with only five years behind I mean just look at this!!!!!!!
    http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/wp-content/gallery/kirby-merchandise-21-04-2017/1.jpg

3. Fire Emblem: Damn....one of the IPs that I should have played earlier from the start! I remember playing a game like the battle of wesnoth and it just bored me and I just skipped it. Then I got a suggestion to play Fire Emblem Awakening and so I got the game and this would be my first time venturing into fire emblem.

When I first played Awakening, I got insanely hooked and its not just how the gameplay plays, every single character that you get has a liking to you and you grow attached to these characters because of how each of them has a charm. Even playing on Casual mode, I couldn't bear to see characters be defeated...mentally and I spam the reset button most of the time. After I beated the game, I knew that I had to get more into the series.

I just love how the games are a mix between Tactics and RPG. Awakening doesn't have the tactical limitation but when I played the other games, I quickly fell in love with this IP and I keep regretting that I should have gotten into it the moment it started.

There are a lot of other things in mind, like how well maps are designed, how a lot of thought is given to make such moves and how there's a lot of mission objective variety in each games.

In every FE game that I've played including even the frustrating ones (Binding Blade) and the most boring ones ( Birthright) the games are still consistently good and that's really something for a game under a niche genre.

So yeah, my top 3 pick!

4. Legend of Zelda:

Zelda is something that I started liking after I got myself Phantom Hourglass which to me is my absolute favorite Zelda game. I love how each Zelda game is in different worlds and environments that you can explore.

But the thing I love about Zelda is puzzles...those damn cryptic puzzles or simple puzzles that force you to think out of the box. As far as adventure games go, Zelda's the Babe!

Zelda may not be as hooking as the other games but its still a series that I can still get into. I can't wait to get Botw when I get the Switch!

5. Pokemon:

Oh Pokemon.....you are the most favored RPGs to me.

I just love Pokemon for two reasons. Simplicity and accomplishment.

Simplicity as in the most simple to play RPGs out there. Types that are easy to know and the strategies offered being in the most simplistic manner yet despite this, there is a lot of challenge. and its one of those that has one thing in mind..Become the best, that's it.

Accomplishment as in catching pokemon types, completing your pokedex(which I have never done but still a fun thing to do) and getting gym badges or other things.

And then comes the main thing. Pokemon. I love how each and every pokemon are different and how you can use different types to improve on your strategies. Some pokemon are hard to get but are rewarding but others are simple but take a lot of effort to train to be the best. It all comes down to how much of effort you do to make the best of your team and the pokemon you train reflect your efforts.

Its not like in other RPGs where to beat the final boss, grinding is the only way to win to get happy endings and what not. In pokemon, grinding is not the way to do it because there's also strategy that plays a role. I can tell that there are times that I used a legendary pokemon and somehow, the champions I face managed to beat it despite its level being a bit higher.

I've never done trading in any of the pokemon games but the concept sounds like a fun thing to do.

Many RPGs these days are about story and nothing else even Xenoblade was just on Story as good of a game as it is...but Pokemon just makes me feel like I'm playing both a story and a game as well. and Hoenn is my favorite region period!

Sure, now pokemon games graphically are yet to improve but meh..its not that big a deal.

Those are my top fives! if you want to know my honorable mentions, let me know.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  34. Aki

Aki Well-Known Member

My top 5 are:
    1. Zelda
    2. Metroid
    3. Mario
    4. Fire Emblem
    5. Smash Bros. / Mario Kart
  35. Juegos

I was going through the list of accounts I'm subscribed to on YouTube, and I recognized the name "kutiman". I'd forgotten what a trip his videos were, in fact I think they're more powerful now. Seeing it now reminded me of how raw YouTube used to be in its early years. I think it had a distinct personality back then, while I feel like today it is just a big repository for everyone's stuff.

For the uninitiated, Kutiman would essentially sample videos from a lot of other YouTubers and create music of his own. He would take footage and audio from instrument showcases, tech experiments, talent shows, vlogs, a capella songs, piano recitals, orchestra performances, improvisations with unusual instruments (all the rage back in the day), rap videos, and so on. Maybe it's more meaningful than usual for me because that was an era in which I was first discovering instrumental and experimental Hip Hop.
    • Like Like x 1
  36. Shoulder

Happy Saturday, folks! It is a glorious day out, and I pity the fool who doesn't at least go outside for a little bit. Get a little sunburn, tan up that shockingly untanned skin of yours, and if you own a Switch, go play your Switch outside. Your body and spirit will love it.

Oh, and for something completely different:

[​IMG]
    • LOL LOL x 1
  37. Majorbuddah

Majorbuddah My real name is Dolemite

I've got rolling down to a t, bro.
  38. Majorbuddah

Majorbuddah My real name is Dolemite

@TheAmazingLSB

Coming back to our conversation about the legitimacy of mobile gaming...

Have you tried Lonewolf? REALLY enjoying it.
  39. EvilTw1n

EvilTw1n Necessary Evil Staff Member Moderator

40. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

So the Delux Zelda Guidebook I order back in February finally arrived. First this out of the box that I have to say about it is, this thing is freaking HUGE! (11 by 15). It is heavy enough that in order to read it I have to lay it down on the table, otherwise I fear it might bend backwards over its own weight.
    • Like Like x 1
  41. sjmartin79

sjmartin79 White Phoenix of the Crown

Steve and I just finished binging "13 Reasons Why" on Netflix. One of the most profound, thought-provoking, addictive, and engaging things I've watched in a long time.

It's a mystery, but also gut wrenching.
    • Like Like x 1
  42. Juegos

I've had it open on my browser for the past 3 days. I guess I'll start watching it tonight.
    • Like Like x 2
  43. FriedShoes

She's insufferable tbqh
    but I didnt put much thought into it.

Saw Get Out as a refresher from all that tonight, genius film, so wish I was on the bandwagon for that early on.
    • Like Like x 2
  44. Aki

Aki Well-Known Member

I saw Get Out last month or the month before and wasn't genuinely surprised by how much I liked it. It's a neat flick.