The Great CT - Community Thread

Discussion in 'Community Hang-Out' started by mattavelle1, Apr 9, 2015.

1. theMightyME

theMightyME Editor in Chief of TVEnthusiast

How is a Gigabyte AMD Radeon R7 240 for $60
  2. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

Not gonna ignore them, but I am going to put them in a separate box. ;)
    • Like Like x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
  3. theMightyME

And the tie up that box, and drop it in the mariana trench
    • LOL LOL x 1
  4. sjmartin79

sjmartin79 White Phoenix of the Crown

So I've been playing Doom for Switch, and I'm getting near the end, and I hit a bug. Now when I get to an orb or floating robot to increase ammo or whatnot, I cannot scroll up/left/right/down to select anything. Sometimes I have to exit out of the game and restart, then ignore the power up. I saw today where there is a patch for that coming out later this month, but I'll be done with it by then. Bah. Just annoying.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. theMightyME

I know how I am spending Valentine's day, I am slipping something hot into a big black box...

By that I mean I am installing a new video card in my PC... It is a downgrade, but the old one died

Going from a Radeon hd 7900, to an r7 240
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 3
    • LOL LOL x 1
  6. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 ARMS is like breathing.......but more important Staff Member Moderator

Damn that’s hot!
  7. theMightyME

[​IMG]
    • LOL LOL x 2
  8. Shoulder

Shoulder Your Resident Beardy Bear

Yesterday, it marked 1 year since my GF and I started dating, and things have been going very well for us. You could say we are both very happy with each other at this point, and we look forward to what more adventures we encounter throughout this year and beyond. And since it was our anniversary, she got this for me which finally arrived today. Needless to say, I was a bit shocked since I had been talking about wanting one for awhile, and she delivered.

Attached Files:

• R.A.P. R.A.P. x 7
  9. FriedShoes

FriedShoes MLG Staff Member Moderator

Thats a fun way to package a Switch
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 6
  10. Karkashan

Karkashan Well-Known Member

Just further proof that my opinions are without flaw. :mmischief:
    • LOL LOL x 1
  11. sjmartin79

sjmartin79 White Phoenix of the Crown

Steve2 got me an ice cream maker for Valentine's Day. (I love ice cream. Like an unhealthy level of love.)
    So far we've made Fruity Pebbles Ice Cream and Salted Caramel Pretzel Ice Cream.

I have a ton of ideas of other flavors we could try, but I gotta learn to be patient, or there will be no room in our freezer.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 6
  12. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 ARMS is like breathing.......but more important Staff Member Moderator

Make ice cream sandwich and espresso flavor :mdrool:
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 3
  13. mattavelle1

OR coffee nut M&M ice cream! :mdrool:
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 3
  14. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

That's really nice. I'm adding this to my wish list.
  15. Karkashan

Got the Radiant Historia remake and the Wonder Boy physical release.

My backlog wins once again.

grimabepraised
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

Radiant Historia's pretty good. If it had come to Switch I would have bought it again.
  17. BobSilencieux

BobSilencieux Well-Known Member

Nobody's talking about Celeste? It's an obscenely good game, like instant 10/10 status. If I hadn't played Odyssey and BotW last year, I'd have no problem saying it's the best game I've played in a very long time.
  18. mattavelle1

What is this game you speak of?
  19. BobSilencieux

Ah, you haven't heard of it. It's an absolutely beautiful game, both visually and aurally, a hard-as-nails 2d platformer with super-tight controls and endlessly enjoyable mechanics. It's just an absolute delight to play, from the moment I picked it up. It easily makes my top 3 on Switch right now.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. BobSilencieux

Just watch like the first 10 minutes of this video, you'll get the gist...

• Like Like x 1
  21. Karkashan

It's definitely a game I'm interested in (female protag, charming story, fair but challenging), but I'll either wait til I hit a "I don't want to play anything in my backlog, let's get a new game" or it goes on sale on the Switch.

I'm taking next week off, so I plan to actually put in some considerable time in actually beating games on my backlog, but it'll probably be like every other video game focused vacay I take where I play like, 1, maybe 2 RPG's and that's it.

grimabepraised
    • Like Like x 1
  22. theMightyME

Some of the favorites I have made... Chai tea and white chocolate, Targaryen Chocolate (dark chocolate with cinnamon and a swirl of crushed red hots), and brown sugar bacon and dates (make sure the bacon is candied before you add it)
    • Like Like x 1
  23. CitizenOfVerona

CitizenOfVerona Spectacular Staff Member

To say I'm anticipating Kingdom Hearts 3 is an understatement. It's being developed by the same team who did some handhelds, so who knows what the actual quality will end up being and despite how batshit the games are, I've been waiting for a part 3 since high school.

Started playing through 2 again and even watched Monsters Inc tonight since that was an announced world. I'm gonna watch all the movies that will have a level in the game, so I'll watch the Toy Story trilogy soon, then Big Hero 6. Will probably rewatch Hercules since that movie is awesome and everyone should love it.
    • Like Like x 1
  24. MANGANian

MANGANian Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie

Sorry about going ghost a bit too long for a response to matter, but let me know if your new card fixes the problem.

You know, I really, really like this guy. If it's one thing I really respect, is that he's not only a critic, he also does his research, which is great for people like me who wouldn't bother unless I'm really into something.

If I haven't already recommended Dandara, then I'm doing it again. Bless this damn game. Bless it so much. Its mechanics takes a bit of getting used to in the beginning, and sometimes where you want to go isn't always precise due to the auto-correction mechanic (and the fact that things are sometimes too chaotic to react quickly too. Good thing there's also a mechanic which deals with that too), but damn is this game fun and the music is so nice to listen to. The feeling you get when ever effort you made for every decision pays off is just too good to pass up.
  25. Karkashan

[​IMG]
    I thought I was ready for Suicune.

I wasn't.

Still caught it.

But I was no where close to being ready!

grimabepraised
    • Like Like x 2
  26. Socar

Socar Active Member

Ok guys be honest..even brutally if needed. What do you think of my game reviews as of now?

I'm thinking about doing game journalism. Not sure if I'm happy with what I am doing and all....and I'm kinda worried about my overall career as well.
    • Like Like x 1
  27. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

2d plat, my answer is no.

I'll not play 2d plats again before 2029.
  28. Juegos

If you like writing reviews about games, or just your opinions about games or the industry in general, you should just do it as often as you can. Like everything, it's a skill that you improve with practice, so don't focus on how your reviews are now, just focus on writing more reviews and getting better at it. Right now, you're writing reviews with a certain formula (graphics, gameplay, story, etc.). That's fine, that's how we all started. The more you write and the more you read other people's reviews, the more you'll learn to step outside of that formula and follow a new one, or to change your review format depending on the game, and so on.

Personally, I'm at the point where I could either write what I think about the particular way I played a game, or think about what the game's audience wants to hear about and write about that. I do one or the other depending on how much I care about a game. For example, when I reviewed Blossom Tales for the Switch, I focused on writing about the things that make a Zelda-like game, and whether the game did them well. I did this because I actually wanted the review to inform Switch owners that might be interested in a 2D Zelda clone.
    http://nintendoenthusiast.com/blog/2018/01/08/blossom-tales-sleeping-king-review-nintendo-switch/

When @mattavelle1 and I reviewed Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate for the 3DS, on the other hand, we focused on the particular things we loved about Monster Hunter, namely the freedom of gameplay, the feeling of fighting highly intelligent monsters, and the co-op experience. We did that because that's what got us to spend 1,000 hours on Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for the Switch, so it felt important to get to the core of what made Monster Hunter so important to us.
    http://nintendoenthusiast.com/blog/2015/02/10/monster-hunter-4-ultimate-3ds-review/

We've had a lot of great discussions on reviews here on the forums, but I can't find them right now. If I find them soon I'll link you to them in case you're interested.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  29. BobSilencieux

It's totally a GOTY contender.
  30. theMightyME

installed card, seems to be working.. back to installign the drivers...

improvements so far

bios screen isn't glitchy
    system booted
    display auto resized to 1080p
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  31. theMightyME

32. mattavelle1

Crap I forgot to wish TNE

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!!!! I LOVE ALL YOU GUYS:mlove:
    • Like Like x 3
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  33. FriedShoes

FriedShoes MLG Staff Member Moderator

• Like Like x 2
  34. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

Isn't every game a game within a game since life is just a game? (Albeit one with endless not-so-micro payments and a brutal permedeath system, but them graphics are good)
  35. theMightyME

Fixd
  36. MANGANian

MANGANian Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie

Glad to hear your problem have been solved! All's well that ends well.

Speaking of endings, Dandara was such a short experience, but still a sweet and slightly frustrating one. Just finished it a while ago, and wished there was some more length to the game. I'll be heading back to finishing Bloodborne, but I'll always remember my time with you. Will definitely play again.

Also got around to watching It Comes At Night, and I really enjoyed it. I must say that when the credits rolled I was like, "that's it?". Time sure flew by so quickly while watching it. Felt like a really nice short story. A few things I would've preferred an explanation for, but otherwise it was great at making things as uncomfortable as possible.
    • Like Like x 2
  37. Karkashan

Looking forward to getting my Analogue Super NT in the mail. Being able to use original SNES carts in 1080p is everything I want from a classic SNES style experience.

praisegrima
    • Like Like x 2
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  38. SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar Twintelle's loyal Husbando

I have been meaning to work through the rest of the SNES Classic games that I haven't played yet, but alas, my Switch library is already eating up all my time at home.
  39. simplyTravis

simplyTravis "A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

I've had one of the most soul-draining fucked up weeks at work in a while. I'm ready for the summer already. This year has been just unbelievable on so many levels. Also...I'm tired of talking to detectives and police officers at work. I love these folks but I need these kids to stop doing stupid crap and random crazy people to stop being crazy.

What are y'all up to this weekend? I need some ideas.
  40. theMightyME

Just saw black panther, good but overrated to it's detrement... People are talking way too much out of their asses about it being the best marvel movie, or that it breaks the formula... It isn't and it doesn't... It is just another good marvel movie... Which is great, because I love those, but it isn't as good as Winter soldier or guardians or Ragnarok... It is on the better end... So better than thor 2, or any of the hulk movies, or iron Man 2... But I would say it also isn't in the top tier of the like the 5 best in the MCU

The thing that is making people celebrate it, the talk of race and such, is actually kindly holding the movie back, there are moments in which it seems like it almost reaches for greatness and then stumbles instead because it wants to force a message that we already got in favor of following through with a more interesting development

For example
    Killmonger is a sociopath, with the message of a sympathetic antagonist... They could have just made him a true sympathetic antagonist, or leaned into the idea that he was a sociopath who used people with a true message that he didn't even believe in... They did neither, which made his character nonsensical
    • Like Like x 1
  41. Juegos

I'm glad I'm keeping my expectations in check against all the hype. I also told my brother, "everyone says it's incredible, but, I mean, it's a Marvel movie. I'm sure it's going to be pretty good, but it's a freaking Marvel movie." He's buying into the hype, but I'm steadfast against it. I told him, "remember the hype for Ragnarok. It was good, but at the end of the day, it was just another Marvel movie."

The thing that's got me wary of the movie (other than it being a Marvel property) is that I keep finding it weird that Black Panther is African, and the movie is set in Africa, but the movie heavily uses African-American culture. I'd like to hear what a black American thinks of that, but my own thinking is that it seems insensitive to African culture to set a story in Africa but make it about America.

Maybe it's just the trailer abusing African American culture, and the actual movie doesn't.
  42. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

Sleep and couple of Asperin; maybe then I can take on the next week.
  43. theMightyME

It is less pronounced in the movie, like a lot of the music is tribal, and the street clothes look like traditional African garb and textiles... That being said, African American identity IS a big part of the plot... The part I felt was mostly mishandled

I also don't mean for my criticism to imply that I think the MCU is ho hum... I LOVE the MCU, and I thought Ragnarok might very well be the most fun I had at a movie last year

Also let's talk diversity in MCU, people are all... FINALLY a black character movie.... As if the Challenger is over...

We haven't gotten Captain Marvel yet, so no female inclusion yet... But even worse than that... Outside if TV and Fox's mutant universe... Do we have a single Hispanic, Indian, Asian, or Arab character in the MCU?

Like even a supporting character?

I mean, before Black Panther we already had War Machine AND Falcon... And though there isn't a female MCU hero movie yet, we do have both Black Widow and Scarlet Witch.... But the only Hispanic or Latino character I can think of is the one friend in Ant Man... And Spiderman had an Asian as Peter's friend, and an Indian (I think) as Flash Thompson... But none if those are heros, none of them are in the Avengers

If we want to talk about equal representation there are more Asians in the world than any other race.... And yet, not one single hero character... And if we go by America, I think we have a far larger population of Latino/Hispanic than we do black... And yet the attitude is all kind of "mission accomplished" right now... That just seems strange to me.

Also, I feel like a lot of the Black inclusion stuff recently has been horribly stereotypical and sickeningly obtuse in their attempts to I guess placate black fans

Black Lightning right now just feels like a white guy saw Like Cage and said "I want that too" and then there is that showtime series the Chi which is getting tons of praise but in the first episode was like 1 stereotype after another... It was like here is a promiscuous young man, watch him knock up a girl irresponsibly because he only gives real attention to his sneaker collection...
  44. theMightyME

Some bonuses I can give to Black Panther

1. Lupita Nyong'o is hot as hell, and hey skin like glows

2. Letitia Wright is awesome as well, so cute, and get chemistry with the lead is great

Chadwick Boseman is a great Black Panther

4. Despite some poor writing for his character Micheal B Jordan is great, and his style is sick from his great hair to the lower gold canines

Overall the cast is just fantastic
  45. theMightyME

Watching the IGN spoiler cast of Black Panther... Joshua and Terri are tripping over themselves almost in competition to prove how not racist they are too their 1 black colleague....

It reminds me of that episode of South Park where Mr Garrison is trying to get fired for being gay so he can sure the school, but no matter what he tries, no matter how obscene he gets everyone in town reacts by softly clapping and exclaiming "so brave, so brave"

It is kind of embarrassing to watch... The spoiler cast, not the South Park episode
  46. Juegos

I just want to share with you guys a quote from an article that a pro Street Fighter player, Mago, wrote. He talks about fighting games, but I think the quote applies to all kinds of gaming in general.

"‘It’s only a game. But is still, a game’ is how I usually feel about fighting games. Games, by their nature are entertainment. However because it is a form of entertainment, and because it is fun and engaging in the purest sense a person is able to truly express themselves within it. I also believe that there is a ‘Nirvana’ or ‘Eden’ so to speak, when it comes to playing games and being purely immersed in it, and logic alone will not get you there.

Of course, taking a logical approach to gaming may be a way of having fun with it, but if you are going down that path thinking that alone is the absolute way, you may wish to try something else with your gaming time and do something more productive, as that seems much more ‘logical’ in that sense. Especially with fighting games, where you are playing against another human being real time, oftentimes logic alone will leave you scratching your head a lot.

[Fighting games reveal] a lot about a person, even going as far as forcing one to truly become themselves provided that both players are wanting or even desperate to win. In real life there are numerous factors that hide our real selves to one another, and despite there being a handful of us who roam about not wearing a ‘mask’, not everyone can be so fortunate.

However in the fighting game world, things are different. Of course, there are things to consider when playing against human opponents like manners, but gameplay wise, you are free to fight in whichever way you please. Why? Because it is a game. And because it is a game, when you are engaged in it being brutally honest about wanting to win, the real inner self is revealed.

To raise an example, when I play someone who in real life is a calm and cool person, in game I see them roam about here and there on the screen, being very proactive even to the extent that it shows how much fun they are having with their character. When I see this, I would think ‘ this person acts calm and cool in real life for some unknown reason, but at heart he is someone wanting to be a proactive, passionate person…’"
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 4
  47. mattavelle1

He has thought about this for awhile, and I love his insites that come from it.

If I’m being totally honest on night many moons ago @EvilTw1n and I were talking about how many of you guys at TNE are awesome gamers. The kinda guys you play against or with and they demand that you get better. ET said (and I greatly appreciate the compliment) “look at you your a tough splatoon player, really well rounded on ARMS, and a ace monster hunter among also the Mario karts etc etc.”

It goes back to what Mago wrote tho, games are my purest form of expression. I’m tough in games, I wanna be the kinda person that you have to absolutely just play better than to beat me. As much as possible to wanna put the pressure on you to beat me and see if you buckle under the relentless pressure or not. And I’m like this in all game, the harder it is without signs of cheapness the more I raise to the occasion. The faster you go on the Tetris the faster I go, the better you turn corners on MK the better I go around corners. The harder the hunt @Juegos @EvilTw1n @FriedShoes the better I love the pressure and dig my heels in.

From my raising this is an expression that was instilled in me by my mother. I grew up in a pressure cooker, and if you couldn’t handle it then you cracked or submitted. Learning these types of feelings and behavior are not “positive” emotions or feelings persay, so I’ve buried them even tho there learned. And the best way for me to get them out is by being competitive online against other people. I can work thru and deal with those feelings while putting so much pressure on you to show you what I felt as a child growing up. My purest form of expression is how you see me when we play online together, I wanna make your life hard I don’t won’t you to win, because I was thaught pressure and how to apply it.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 4
  48. EvilTw1n

EvilTw1n Even my henchmen think I'm crazy. Staff Member Moderator

I confess, this is one of the places where I don't quite follow. I've never thought of the style in which I play a game to be a form of self expression. I only do what it takes to be effective. Like in ARMS, I tried to play it like I play most games - aggressively (it's why I picked dual blades in MonHun, and why I push into enemy territory in lieu of zoning in Splatoon). But playing aggressively didn't work and I was constantly losing. So I had to learn to counter-punch. Once I did, I became a problem for other people. But that's not a matter of me expressing myself; I'm not actually playing the game like I wanted to. I'm just a tactics whore and I'll do whatever works. The same goes for a game like Rocket League - my instinct is usually push and get into the action, but that doesn't work in that game, so I hang back more often.

This is why I kinda don't grok the expression-in-gaming POV thing. When I hear something like "this is how I express myself playing DOOM," I don't really get how that even works. Whatever method works is the method I use. I think of playing videogames competitively* like how a quarterback looks at a defense in football. What is the defense showing? If they're in dime with only one or two linebackers, then run the ball. Crowding the box with eight? Pass the ball where there's single coverage. Always running the ball can't be your style when your wide receiver beats his man and is wide open for a touchdown.

[*I hesitate to use a 1:1 sports analogy. I'm sure plenty of people have beat me in ARMS while sitting on the toiler after eating two cheesburgers.]

:shrugs: I think it's absolutely fascinating that people do feel this way, but it's not a feeling I share, exactly. I get where it comes from, but I'm just too much of a method-harlot to fit in this category.

[​IMG]
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 4
  49. theMightyME

Mike thinks he is all fancy just because he has played President Trump in a round of ARMS
  50. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

@EvilTw1n I kinda feel the same way, although I am a bit more sypathetic towards how others play the game. I for one try to take the most efficient route whenever I am aware of it. If there is a definitive "Best way to play" and it does not involve glitches or exploits, you can bet your ass that I am going to do it.

I think it is one of the reasons I was less enamored by BoTW; sure I could play the game any way you want and be super creative in how you take your opponents on; OR I could spam Witchtime and alternate between ice and guardian weapon to not only end the fight quickly but also save the durability of said weapons. The same can be said for many other games, and not just the combat.
    • Like Like x 2