The marvellous 2018 E3 thread

Discussion in 'Multi-Platform' started by Odo, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

Yeah. It's coming:

[​IMG]

What are your thoughts, wishes, fears for the biggest and most loved or hated gaming event of the year?

Last year's e3 we had a Sony's all right presentation and a quite disappointing Microsoft show, but the big player of the show was Nintendo Switch. Everybody looking for Nintendo updates.

For 2018, we've got no new hardware releases, so we only hope for a big list of AAA games.

Sony has started the year very well while Nintendo may be holding some surprises for the summer, after an extraordinary 2017.

Microsoft looks quite hopeless.

In the end, the good news is: it's 2018 and consoles aren't dead.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. theMightyME

theMightyME Owner of The Total Screen

I am calling it now... Microsoft will upstage Sony... Because they need to, they haven't been for years, and they have the money to.

As for Nintendo, I am getting pessimistic, I think 3rd parties are going to pull a Wii with the switch... They are already 2/3 of the way there... Late to the party, paying lip service... All that is left is to disappoint us with lazy efforts, and then complain when they don't sell as well as their other games... For first and second party, I don't think Nintendo is ready to have anything big this year... I am calling a mini drought or 2 for the switch, hell we are kinda in one now... And then an amazing 2019
  3. GaemzDood

GaemzDood Well-Known Member

Skyrim sold over 100k in retail, which is about the same as Skyrim VR (!!!), and over 500k when factoring in digital sales. When developers put effort in, people respond in kind. In addition to that, the average demographic for the Switch is much older than the Wii's, not counting the seniors, so that puts Nintendo's chances of good support above previous platforms. Lastly, their current CEO is a pragmatist as opposed to an ideologue, and he's actively attempting to get third party developers on board in addition to marketing their titles; it's one of the reasons Skyrim was a success. Nintendo is also encouraging developers to release M rated titles, something they had never done in the past unless it was a rare collaboration, and it's paying off; the Switch right now as almost as many M rated titles as the PS4 did in the beginning of its second year. I mean, even Gal Gun 2 is coming to the Switch! In America!

Developers have been surveyed and most of them like the Switch, and there are already developers like Iron Galaxy (they asked Capcom if they could port MHW on Twitter) who are asking to port AAA games to the system. The only real reason games aren't being actively made for it is because publishers have traditionally been skeptical of the handheld market in the past couple of years. Publishers went all out with funding AAA games for the PSP initially, and they generally didn't see enough returns to continue support, and Nintendo only now has been changing their philosophy on 3rd party involvement (before, it was "we're the main deal, you can join, but we matter more"). Remember, Chile didn't jump from triple digit inflation to single digit inflation overnight. It took a while.

I still see Nintendo having a problem courting European developers since Nintendo has never been popular there. The only real significant European developer supporting the Switch is Blooper Team, who just released Layers of Fear: Legacy on it. Excellent game too by the way. If Nintendo wants to make a dent there, they need better soccer games (i.e. not EA's trash FIFA 18 "port") and support from publishers like Codemasters.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. GaemzDood

I made a thread on what Microsoft could do to save the Xbox, and I outlined multiple exclusive franchises they could reboot. However, given their track record of shitcanning exclusives, impeding on developer creativity (censoring Quantum Break, pissing off Kamiya to the point of canning Scalebound, forcing Lionhead to make a co-op action game and shutting them down because they didn't want to), and cutting corners in first party studios, I don't see any hope aside from a complete boardroom takeover in the Xbox division by someone who's competent. If the rumors are true and new installments in Perfect Dark and Fable are happening, then that would be a huge deal.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. CitizenOfVerona

CitizenOfVerona Spectacular Staff Member

I want to see gameplay of Ghost of Tsushima.

I also want to see how Shadow of the Tomb Raider is shaping up given rumors it's not developed by Crystal Dynamics.

Lastly, I would like to see another Splinter Cell game unless they turn it into a typical modern Ubisoft sandbox.
  6. BobSilencieux

BobSilencieux Well-Known Member

Honestly, E3 just isn't exciting for me any more, and hasn't been for a number of years. Not like that Twilight Princess reveal, eh chaps?! Well, at least there should be some delicious awkward moments to cringe over; that's pretty much the highlight for me every year now.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  7. BobSilencieux

Oh and let's not forget Devolver Digital last year, which was the single greatest anything I've ever witnessed at any E3 ever.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. simplyTravis

simplyTravis "A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

Hooray! An E3 thread! I'm going to post and pin this tomorrow night on the Discord @Odo challenging people to drop off their E3 predictions.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. EvilTw1n

EvilTw1n Even my henchmen think I'm crazy. Staff Member Moderator

We need our own E3 awards.

"Watch Dogs award for bullshotting an entire reveal, leading to a forgettable completed game."

"COD award for advanced fish A.I."

"$599 award for affordability."

Etc. etc. etc.

------------------------

Nintendo has "won" E3 with a single game the past two years. Would they attempt to do it again with Prime 4?
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  10. theMightyME

they could win e3, but then anounce all the games coming in 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  11. theMightyME

all of it is remarkably familiar to when the wii started becoming a smash hit.. developers and publishers pledged support, talked it up even though they were late to the game, then the support they gave was cheap shit and tests, some of it sold well, some of it didn't, most sold what it deserved to sell or what should have been expected even on other systems... and then the support turned to shit... and the anomaly of bethesda with skyrim even figures in, as ubisoft's early wii games sold very well too... because they were decent games from 3rd parties on a brand new system
  12. SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar Twintelle's loyal Husbando

So far the quality of ports has been pretty strong, unlike on the Wii.

Now, I don't expect full 3rd party support like Sony and Microsoft get on the Switch, but I do expect a steady stream of support.

I definitely see Bethesda bringing at least Fallout 3 to Switch by year's end, if not 4 or maybe 3 and New Vegas.

As far as my E3 predictions, I will stick to just Nintendo as they are all I really care about:

1. Metroid Prime 4 gets a real trailer, and a 2019 release window.

2. Next generation of Pokemon is confirmed for Switch and a holiday 2018 launch.

3. New Fire Emblem is revealed for Switch, also with a holiday launch.

4. Pikmin 4 is revealed, 2019 release window.

5. Ports of Smash and Mario Maker for holiday 2018.

6. Virtual Console and online services outlined.

7. 2-3 big ports from AAA companies. My guesses will be Fallout 3 & New Vegas, and the Bioshock Trilogy.
    • Like Like x 3
  13. GaemzDood

The Switch already has almost the same amount of Mature rated titles as the PS4 did in its first year. The Wii had less than 5. I know that doesn't mean shit in terms of quality since some of them are bad (Don't Knock Twice), but it's an indicator that developers that would traditionally never never make games for Nintendo systems due to bad perception of them as a "kid's company" and Nintendo willfully acknowledging that are turning around.
  14. GaemzDood

The BioShock remasters on PS4 and Xbox One were god awful as is. So many technical problems + tons of screen tearing and framerate drops. Considering Metro Redux ran beautifully and looked infinitely better, there's no excuse.
  15. SkywardCrowbar

I would still buy them tbh, provided they are playable. I adore that franchise.
  16. GaemzDood

If you have a halfway decent (as in 8800 GT or above) GPU, you can run the original games just fine at a cheaper price. The remasters are borked, and are actually inferior to the originals in some way.
  17. theMightyME

This isn't about mature games it is about AAA games not all AAA games are rated M. That had nothing to do with anything

Street Fighter isn't rated M, Madden isn't rated M... What is your obsession with games being rated m?
  18. BobSilencieux

Man, I hope this doesn't happen, because there's no way Nintendo can possibly have manufactured enough consoles to meet the demand that would create!
  19. CitizenOfVerona

I only played Bioshock 2 + Minerva's Den on PS4 out of the trilogy bundle and it was fine.

That said, don't know if Switch ports would be possible. A Hat in Time isn't coming to Switch because it uses Unreal 3, and Bioshock 1 ran on Unreal 2, while Infinite used Unreal 3, so I wouldn't get my hopes up for a Switch port (but weirder things have happened)
  20. GaemzDood

I thought "AAA" didn't matter. That much was made clear in my Switch games omnibus thread.

It's not an "obsession," literally not even close. It's a repeated observation of Nintendo attempting to shed their past image. Nintendo also has 143 Switch games that are rated T, which already VASTLY exceeds all of their past consoles, some in their entire lifetimes.

Nintendo hasn't even announced a new Direct yet. Nintendo is generally quiet about new releases until their Directs, this is to build suspicion and hype.
  21. GaemzDood

The Outlast games use UE3 and are on Switch. Rocket League is on Switch and runs at 60 FPS in both modes.
    • Like Like x 2
  22. simplyTravis

simplyTravis "A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

We need an E3 bingo sheet stat!

My predictions
    • 2019 Metroid
    • Pokemon in October or November
    • Smash Deluxe for summer
    • 3rd Party Bonanza!
      • Fortnite
      • Diablo or Hearthstone (not both)
      • Dragon Quest date
      • something Final Fantasy related
    • DLC-palooza
      • New Mario Odyssey stuffs
      • Kirby DLC
      • MK8
    This is probably waaaaay too much to predict but I'm going for it...
    • Like Like x 2
  23. theMightyME

AAA matters, what it isn't is a shorthand for m rated, AAA are the games that are heavily promoted and carry expectations from the company making them... Labo is AAA, so is Mario, so is Assassin's Creed, Travis Strikes Back (no matter how much I want it) is not AAA

and when I said obsession Iw as refering you, not nintendo, every nont ech post you make seems to be about how many M rated games there are on 1 system or another... who cares? I want good games, big games... those can be M-rated, T-rated, E-rated... it doesn't f'n matter

personally I don't care if a game is really AAA either, but it shows how seriously a publisher is taking the platform... in TV Game of Thrones is AAA but so is The Voice, and Counterpoint is not AAA... I love Game of Thrones, and I love Counterpoint, I couldn't give a fuck about The Voice, but if you wanted to measure the success of oh say a journalist being given access to what shows, the one that the networks respect is the one given access to Game of Thrones and the Voice...

I am a small fry, a tiny fry, when it comes to TV sites... I got a screener for Mr Robot's pilot episode... but now thta Mr. Robot is popular and has been escalated to a AAA property for USA Network, I do not get screeners for the series anymore... I DO get screeners for The Magicians on SyFy, which is a great show... but it isn't popular, and it doesn't have the push behind it that Mr, Robot does... I am not worth USA's time when it coems to promoting Mr., Robot... but I am when it comes to promoting the magicians

if a publisher is all "yeah yeah, we love the switch, we are making big new games for it" and then they announce a port of a barely known game from 5 years ago, that is a sign that they aren't takign the switch seriously... now if they turn around and show a major exclusive, or a well optomized simultaneous release multiplat of a big game... that shows they ARE taking it seriously... with the wii it was clear that even after they announced they were takign it seriously that they really were not. That is my concern with the Switch

it doesn't mean the switch isn't worth their efforts, it is a sign that those executives made a bad call IMO, but it doesn't change that we got shit support.
  24. GaemzDood

Considering Skyrim sold really well in addition to DOOM being on the top of the eShop list for a number of weeks, not supporting the Switch would be retarded. Wolfenstein II is being released soon, and that's a really demanding game, so it should be interesting.
  25. SkywardCrowbar

The situation with A Hat in Time seems a little messier than just they absolutely could not port it due to technical issues. That said, it may be too much of an obstacle for some devs to want to bring a game over.

My reasoning with the Bioshock Trilogy is that 2K has expressed interest in the Switch after NBA2K was evidently successful enough for them. The Switch is a magnet for ports of games that are 5-10 years old, so I filled that checkbox with the Bioshock Trilogy.

As a general point, the Switch is getting a lot of quality games from 3rd party companies, and for the most part they are selling quite well it seems. Capcom has bragged about how well their unique port of Street Fighter II has sold, and also how well Resident Evil Revelations Collection has sold on Switch. Skyrim and DOOM have performed very well, especially Skyrim. Minecraft seems to be doing well, same with Rocket League.

I don't see 3rd parties shying away from the Switch like they did with the Wii. The success seems to be across the board, and that is owed to that the Switch is much less of a gimmick (no offense to the Wii) than the Wii was. The Switch is clearly a system where hardcore experiences are played.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  26. CitizenOfVerona

Perhaps you're right about A Hat in Time. I heard Rocket League was possible because another studio rebuilt specifically for Switch rather than a straight port, but at the end of the day I'm not 100%
    • Like Like x 1
  27. GaemzDood

I was gonna ask you to cite a source, but I found it. Damn, that's pretty good for an unimpressive port of a 5 year old 3DS game that doesn't even run at 60 FPS and has an insanely low FOV, and considering the game flopped on 3DS and Wii U, that just goes to show that Nintendo is serious about doing business on this console. The sales on Switch make up a pretty big percentage.

In the past, developers could not produce games for Nintendo systems because, even back when they had the power to handle all multiplats like with the N64 and GameCube, developers could point to the sales of their games and say "see, nobody wants to buy our games on this platform and Nintendo doesn't care." That's not the case anymore. Nintendo is not only giving incentives to developers to make games through cheap development kits and active assistance, but people are buying them. The big developers are missing a huge opportunity by not making Switch versions of titles like Ace Combat 7 (a title they got running on PSVR at 60 FPS, so what gives), Dragon Ball FighterZ (a game they said they'd port if Xenoverse 2 sold well, which it did, and they haven't responded since...smh), Far Cry 5 (Mario + Rabbids played a major role in Ubisoft's profits, and yeah, it's a ""kids"" game, but still), Monster Hunter World, Insurgency Sandstorm, SoulCalibur VI, Kingdom Hearts 3, and Metro Exodus. Not to mention developers releasing remasters like Devil May Cry HD Collection, Burnout Paradise, and Assassin's Creed Rogue and not even releasing those on Switch.

However, my optimism in this thread mainly stems from the fact that we haven't had a Direct since January, and that one was only a mini. However, that also had a (somewhat) surprise Dark Souls announcement.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  28. theMightyME

Red Steel sold over a million on the Wii, and the early Rabbids games did too... It doesn't really say anything, Ubisoft was rewarded by being the only big publisher to support the wii same goes for Bethesda on the switch
  29. theMightyME

All I am saying is don't make assumptions the success of the Wii made it a no brainier too... And yet no brainier could be found among the publishers, as they lost money on heavy investments on the computerized and developers (and even some publishers) folded at unprecedented speeds.... Don't expect 3rd parties to get the right message

Capcom got A message, overpriced ports if 7+ year old games can be offloaded for a quick profit while they focus their real attention in trying to compete with the big Western devs on PS4... What evidence do we have that they learned... We are getting 4 anthology collections

No monster Hunter World, no localization if monster Hunter xx, no exclusives, and outsider if anthology collections, no multiplats

This might change, but I am very presentation about that
  30. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 ARMS is like breathing.......but more important Staff Member Moderator

True. Panic Button handled the ports of Rocket League and DooM
    • Like Like x 1
  31. Shoulder

Shoulder Your Resident Beardy Bear

If I had to guess concerning Bethesda, Fallout 4 is much more likely than Fallout 3 if not for the only reason being the former uses the same engine that Skyrim uses, whereas F3 uses a much older engine that is not directly supported by the Switch. It would be much more difficult, and would probably require a complete rewrite of the game code to get it to work right.

By contrast, F4 uses the same engine Skyrim uses, and so Bethesda already has that knowledge and tools at the ready, so porting Fallout 4 would be much easier for them. It wouldn't be unheard of though for F3 and New Vegas to be ported over to the Skyrim/F4 engine, but I don't see that happening.
  32. SkywardCrowbar

A good point that I didn't really consider. I would personally prefer 3 and New Vegas, so that may be painting my image of the situation some.

4 seems to have greater graphical fidelity than Skyrim though, no?
  33. GaemzDood

No, it really doesn't. It's just incredibly badly optimized.

They threw in a bunch of new checklist rendering features, but almost all of them are badly implemented.
    • Like Like x 1
  34. GaemzDood

This is what I expect 3rd party wise based on rumors:

Diablo III announcement
    Black Ops IV announcement
    More Bethesda games
    GTA V
    South Park (see: this)
    Fortnite (ffs, Chance the Rapper even asked for it)

If these happen, then the Switch is set. If they sell well (and they most likely well, considering Skyrim managed to), then 3rd parties need to notice.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  35. SkywardCrowbar

It certainly appears that Diablo III is going to be an E3 announcement. I anticipated it being sooner than that originally, but the news today points to E3.

GTA V would be such a homerun on the Switch, and I think Fortnite would be as well, but are those companies willing to take that big risk? I am on the fence about it.
  36. GaemzDood

Red Steel was a rushed game that scored in the low 60s on Metacritic, and the Rabbids games were also kids games and don't reflect the average type of content released on other platforms.

Also, Red Steel did not sell as well as Skyrim on Switch, lol.

Edit: To clarify, I meant initially. Red Steel did not hit 1 million in the first year, Skyrim already hit 500k if you count eShop sales in its first year.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  37. GaemzDood

It probably is going to change. Nintendo is now just recovering from decades of retarded policies; they're just now saying "we're open for business" to 3rd parties after basically isolating themselves and publishers are skeptical, although developers are actually very excited if statistics are anything to go off of. Recovery takes time. Remember, Zimbabwe isn't going to just recover from 37 years of Mugabe.

Diablo III would also be huge. The game is still supported well and insanely popular.

I'm 50/50 GTA V will be a thing. I hope it's true, but I also hope a good port studio (see: not Virtuos) does it. I made a wishlist for what I would like to see in the port.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  38. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

I'm holding my expectations for this year.

I don't see Pokemon coming this year and I don't want to. I hope Nintendo keeps this card for 2019 when most other franchises titles will have been released.

This year could be the year of Prime 4 and Smash, maybe. Prime 4 would be a great release, but it's still not Mario in sales terms.

I think Nintendo will use this year to get ready for 2019. Last year's bullpen was 10/10, I think 2018 will be 7/10 and 2019 will be 10/10 again.
  39. sjmartin79

sjmartin79 White Phoenix of the Crown

I'm hoping we hear about the Prime Trilogy HD for Switch for this year and Prime 4 for Holiday 2019.
    • Like Like x 1
  40. FriedShoes

FriedShoes MLG Staff Member Moderator

fixed. Smash already is selling consoles on announcement alone, and this is with half of the people thinking its a port and vice versa. Having a Pokemon ready this holiday too? Insanity. Kimishima planned on selling 20 million this year, that would be easily doubled.

Smash has to be a Fall release, if not they are gonna have something to launch alongside their paid online service, and it would have to be great features like an actual, easy to use, Netflix-like VC service or another big multiplayer game. The holiday releases last year was Xenoblade 2, hardly a system seller. Instead Mario released outside of it and November was an open month for third party games like Skyrim and Doom. I think they'll follow a similar formula the latter half of the year, with Smash in September, maybe something else in November, with it just being a place for third parties to thrive sans competition, and December a game that is quality but not really a system seller. That's where I would put Retro's game.

Bioshock Collection is a good guess, but if its 2k I would rather have them port over GTA5 and Online. I think the only issues here are if they take the sales performance of LA Noire as gospel.

I dont follow the other consoles enough to know what they will or wont show, just to say that Sony will probably show off a game they revealed 3 years ago again this year.

Nintendo has a lot of potential, as usual, but they're a wild card. So two years ago the entire floor was dedicated to Zelda, last year was Mario, now this year will clearly be Smash.

So a clearer look at Smash Bros, done deal
    Retro's game reveal, done deal
    Fire Emblem Switch, done deal

As for my own predictions and hopes
    Pokemon, though unlikely since they love to do things on their own schedule.
    Fortnite, they recently said they were putting the game proper on mobile, so Switch is very feasible with that. Little risk for them, the game is F2P and massively popular.
    Yoshi, released the same month
    Mario Odyssey DLC, would be cool
    F-Zero tease similar to last year's Metroid Prime 4 reveal
    Wonderful 101+1
    Mario Maker
    VC and Switch Online shit
    I think thats it. Last year's presentation was pretty short, and most of the stuff was just better footage of games they already announced, like Fire Emblem Warriors and Xenoblade 2 and Mario. I really think the whole event will be Smash focused though, unless something changes in the next 3 months, and with Nintendo it can.
    • Like Like x 1
  41. GaemzDood

LA Noire on Switch sold about as well as the other console versions. LA Noire was never a success story in the first place.
  42. theMightyME

My e3 Nintendo predictions

4 big multiplats announced, these could be games we already know about, but don't know as switch games... They could also be games that have heavily been rumored, but they will not be ports, they will be day and date simultaneous releases, but not necessarily for 2018

2 3rd party exclusives... Not 2nd party like wonderful 101, or using a Nintendo franchise like Mario X Rabbids... No I am talking a game like red Steel or Zack and Wiki, they also won't necessarily be big core games, and like the multiplats might not be for 2018

Smash, a major highlight like Zelda in 2016, and Mario in 2018

Metroid Prime 4 - playable at the show, and further along then most might think, but 2019

Retro's next - going to take a chance if having my heart broken and say it'll be an original IP at last, and will come out this year, but probably not as ambitious as Metroid prime

Pokemon - pure tease on this one, maybe some art, maybe a title, maybe a character model shown during some interview segment, and likely a 2019 release date

Fire emblem - I am guessing a full trailer, and a delay to 2019, but early 2019

Bayonetta 3 - full trailer, 2019

Animal Crossing - full trailer, 2018, an actual major improvement, like how Mario kart 8 saw a huge production quality boost over 7 and Wii, I think animal crossing will see major MAJOR improvements to both graphics, but also something similar to botw's chemistry system, though in a more cute and simplistic way... Almost more like the 8bit demo they made for botw

Zelda - yes, I think there will be Zelda, not a trailer for botw's successor, but something... Maybe like Link in a switch port of the new soul Calibur, or a successor to link between worlds, or some sort of tingle mini game... Something fairly significant though, and definitely Zelda related, and likely ending with aonuma teasing that the team is already hard at work on the next Zelda, I think the segment might start as a sort of victory lap for all the recent awards the game has won, then the announcement, and ending with a verbal tease of the next big game.

New IP - something big from Japan, splatoon was their version of a shooter, arms a fighter, I think we will get something like that, a Nintendo version of a major genre that Nintendo doesn't get much support in... My guess is a sandbox game like GTA... But a Nintendo take, so not violent, more colorful, etc

Lastly, the Yakuza producer had a long discussion talking about a game at last year's switch reveal event, I think we will finally see that game in some form, probably for 2020
  43. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

Those are the games I want to see more information on E3

Fire Emblem for NSW
    Greedfall
    Code Vein
    Darksiders III
    Anthem
    Metro Exodus
    Kingdom Hearts 3
    Skull & Bones
    Beyond Good & Evil 2
    The Last of Us: Part II
    Death Stranding
  44. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

My predictions

Fire Emblem for NSW - Don't know. Maybe a 2019 hashtag or something. I don't expect to see anything really.

Death Stranding - Confirmation for 2019. The development must be mature enough. One more trailer, perhaps gameplay.

Code Vein - 2018 release date. Can't wait to see more.

Kingdom Hearts 3 - There's gonna be more information about it on the next PS magazine. I expect to see a release date.

Skull & Bones - Probably nothing at this point.

Darksiders III - More information. Gameplay.

Beyond Good & Evil 2 - Another trailer.

Anthem - Playable at E3. More information.

The Last of Us: Part II - Gameplay! Gameplay! Gameplay! That's probably the most wanted game of the year. I expect 2019 release confirmation and complete information about the game. Enhancements for PS4 Pro too.