To Be Infinite - 2018 Games Completion Thread

Discussion in 'Multi-Platform' started by Karkashan, Jan 1, 2018.

1. SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar Twintelle's loyal Husbando

Apologies. I changed both of my entries, and will input correctly going forward.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Karkashan

Karkashan Well-Known Member

Thank you very much.
  3. CitizenOfVerona

CitizenOfVerona Spectacular Staff Member

Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)

Pretty good stuff.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. SkywardCrowbar

Resident Evil: Revelations (NS)

A couple of janky control issues aside, this is a really fine Resident Evil game. My first play through of this was on the 3DS, and I must say that the experience is improved on the TV. It's much easier to explore and aim.

8.5/10.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. CitizenOfVerona

God of War (PS3)

Thanks to Kark (again) for sharing her thoughts on the series with me and helping me decide whether to give the franchise another go.

Good fun, but those rotating towers in Hades and the fight with Area can suck a big ol' fat one.
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  6. Karkashan

Agreed 100%. The balance beam segment where you have to jump over spinning spikes is a close second for me.
  7. SkywardCrowbar

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (NS)

A weird game to score... I was left miffed by most of it, especially by perhaps the worst character in the history of Resident Evil in Moira.

It's stuck between wanting to be two different kinds of game. On the one hand, there's lots of Resident Evil fan service. On the other hand, the game is taking its stylistic points from mid 00's horror films like "Saw" instead of the classic Resident Evil influences.

It's a much more horror oriented experience than the first Revelations game, which is fine and well, but the game suffers from inconsistent execution.

Overall, I think it was decent, but not anything to write home about.

7/10.
  8. BobSilencieux

BobSilencieux Well-Known Member

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - NS

Definitely the lesser of the three Xeno games, still great overall, just with a couple of things souring the experience ever so slightly. If Xenoblade is a 10/10, and Xenoblade X is a 9.5, then this would still be a 9.
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  9. CitizenOfVerona

God of War 2 (PS3)

Was sick today so spent most of my time playing through the rest of this. A lot better than 1.

Also that ending. Kinda sad I didn't get into these in high school, can't imagine how I'd feel if I played this when it first came out.
    • Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  10. SkywardCrowbar

ARMS (NS)

Grand Prix mode on a much higher difficulty. Such a great feeling when I downed the final challenger!

9.5/10
    • Like Like x 2
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  11. SkywardCrowbar

Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS)

The name says it all. A triumphant return for everyone's favorite Space Warrior.

A+ in every department. The atmosphere and exploration are absolutely incredible in this game. The best use of 3D I've ever seen to boot.

It also has two of my favorite boss fights ever in it.

10/10.
    • Like Like x 2
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  12. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

the people in this community play too much video games
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  13. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 ARMS is like breathing.......but more important Staff Member Moderator

Yes yes we do.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. CitizenOfVerona

[​IMG]
    • LOL LOL x 2
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  15. CitizenOfVerona

Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS4)

It may be weird, it may be flat out embarrassing at points, and it may have an overarching plot like makes Metal Gear look like Mario, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't love it. Except for a couple of boss fights, fuck those boss fights.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. sjmartin79

sjmartin79 White Phoenix of the Crown

Doom (NS)

7/10 - Would have rated it higher but the bug that kept me from upgrading anything for the last half of the game was annoying.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. EvilTw1n

EvilTw1n Even my henchmen think I'm crazy. Staff Member Moderator

Aww man, that's a bummer. :msad:

(This is sort of the dark half of modern game development. That type of bug is fixable, sure. But how many people will have already played and beat a game by then?)
    • Like Like x 1
  18. SkywardCrowbar

Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (3DS)

For what it is, it's great. The technical limitations of the original Gameboy are interesting to me as someone who didn't own one growing up.

8/10.
  19. Karkashan

Well, I'm not "done" with Pokemon Crystal (3DS) (still need to grab Celebi, do some living dex stuff, etc) but for now I'm gonna list it as complete.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. FriedShoes

FriedShoes MLG Staff Member Moderator

Floor Kids (NS)

Neat little rhythm game, very different but fun with some good beats. I prefer my rhythm games to have stricter rules, however. The game is also pretty short, and "100 %ing" it by reaching max stars in all the songs doesnt quite extend that enough. The multiplayer mode is actually pretty good and it feels natural. If the single player had some kinda boss structure where you challenged an experienced breakdancer to a stomp-off every few songs, that would be cool. Instead its got some weird poetry and visuals in between each stage, I kinda dig that too though.
    Cool game, but short, 7.5/10
    • Like Like x 3
  21. CitizenOfVerona

Hitman 2: Silent Assassin (PC)

So weird. One mission is really easy and obvious, the next mission people are seeing through your disguise and opening fire on you without a second thought. First few missions made me want to not play, but it eventually got good, then terrible, then good again, then it ended with an objective "kill everyone" - good ol' Silent Assassin-ing right there...

It's no Blood Money or 2016 Season 1.
    • Like Like x 3
  22. Shoulder

Shoulder Your Resident Beardy Bear

Blood Money is largely considered the peak of the franchise, and even the new entry out now appears to be going back to what made Hitman good. #MakeHitmanGreatAgain
    • Like Like x 1
  23. CitizenOfVerona

God of War 3 (PS4)

It's amazing how fast you can beat a game when winter got you down.

Pretty good stuff, think I like 2 more though. I have no idea how we're suppose to take Dad of War seriously after the shit he's pulled in 3, and not only in regards to killing all those Gods. One part has you sidling across a ledge and there is a civilian there. Instead of pushing him away, you slam his head into the brick wall THEN push him off. I love it, it's ridiculous and all that, but right now I'd have an easier time if DOOM had a sequel that focused on Doom Slayer as a character.

Still, good fucking action and those titan set pieces are still cool as hell.
    • Like Like x 3
  24. Karkashan

I choose to take this out of context.
    • LOL LOL x 2
  25. BobSilencieux

BobSilencieux Well-Known Member

Celeste - NS

Just. Fucking. Sublime. Wonderful story, beautifully presented, beautiful visuals, incredible music. But the main draw is obviously the immaculate gameplay. Holy shit, what a game. Instant 10/10 within 5 minutes of first booting it up, and then it just kept getting better and better and better. God damn.
    [​IMG]
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  26. Karkashan

I finished Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4) tonight. Really fun game, although I missed out on most of the side quests because I just really, really didn't wanna bother going out of my way to get to them.

Did the Frozen Wilds DLC as well since I'd already bought it on sale. Fit fairly organically into the game itself, I felt.

grimabepraised
    • Like Like x 2
  27. CitizenOfVerona

God of War: Chains of Olympus (PS3)
    God of War: Ghost of Sparta (PS3)

Good stuff but I'm gonna wait awhile before finishing with Ascension. I can only press "square square triangle" so many times.
    • LOL LOL x 2
  28. SkywardCrowbar

Super Mario Odyssey (NS)

I developed a much greater appreciation for the game upon a second playthrough. The music, the attention to detail, the sheer magic of it all.

10/10.

Pokken Tournament DX (NS)

A pretty fun fighting game, and nice fan service for Pokemon fans. The difficulty curve in the single player is a bit odd, but it was enjoyable enough.

7.5/10.
    • Like Like x 2
  29. SkywardCrowbar

Kamiko (NS)

A wonderfully charming little adventure game. Really solid music, very solid gameplay, and a nice dose of whimsy. It's basically the Overworld map of original Legend of Zelda.

For 4.99, it's a great deal.

8.5/10.

Thumper (NS)

The aural effect of this game is really impressive, but it's fairly limited.

However, I may just not be the biggest fan of rhythm games.

7/10.
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  30. CitizenOfVerona

The Evil Within 2 (PS4)

Y'know, I play a lot of games - perhaps too many. Sometimes they can feel like a checklist more than a genuine hobby. I enjoy playing most of them, but once I finish one I immediately move on. Even some games I love I have a hard time remembering some levels or such. It's also to the point where I feel like I don't appreciate the stand outs like I should. Back in the day of having to save up my allowance or waiting until Christmas, I savored games. I must have beaten Ocarina of Time and Resident Evil 4 upwards of 15 times each. How many times did me and my friends/family boot up Mario Kart 64? Now where I have some disposable money I have a lot of games across all my systems; I always have a couple of games on the list. Because of this I feel like I don't dedicate my time replaying some games like I use too. If I had DOOM or TEW 1 in high school, I'd guess I would have beaten them many times over.

I was thinking about all this when the credits for TEW 2 were scrolling. I audibly said "what a fucking good game". I feel like I don't say that enough. DOOM, Evil Within 1, Hitman Blood Money, System Shock 1 & 2, Infamous 2, are just a few of the absolute stand outs I've played in the last couple of years that I still think about on the reg, and TEW 2 joins that super elite tag team. I think the second half isn't as good as the first, but sneaking around a small 'Murrican town, ducking into houses and buildings that get really spooky and fucked up, it makes the cancellation of Silent Hills a bit easier to accept.

Still, these are the true follow ups to Resident Evil 4 I've always wanted (5 was good but the AI partner and inventory kinda fucked it up). I'm really happy how these games turned out, and going on what I just wrote, I think it deserves to be remembered, a true stand out that comes along every now and then that reminds me gaming is more than just a checklist.

Dayum.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  31. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

I've been waiting on this game mostly because I imagined it couldn't be as good as the first one, so I might as well wait for a good sale and when I have time away from other games. But you just shot it to the top of my (single player) list.
  32. CitizenOfVerona

I don't mean to over hype it, and I think I still prefer the first if only for the imagination on display. Still, I did enjoy it a shit ton.
    • Like Like x 1
  33. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 ARMS is like breathing.......but more important Staff Member Moderator

I would like to see Evil Within 1&2 both come to Switch.
    • Like Like x 2
  34. CitizenOfVerona

Duke Nukem 3d: 20th Anniversary World Tour (PC)

Just fucking top tier, despite Gearbox dropping the ball with optimization (for real, no reason why this game should lag in either render mode)
    • Like Like x 1
  35. SkywardCrowbar

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (NS)

My first Shantae game! I honestly expected to find it fairly unremarkable and forgettable, but I absolutely adored this game. It's just brimming with life and energy. Great characters, elite music, super fun and happy gameplay.

9/10.
  36. CitizenOfVerona

Lara Croft Go (PC)
    Neon Struct (PC)

Two relatively quick games. I didn't have much interest in Lara Croft GO but I picked it up on a sale and it turned out to be fantastic. I recommend it to anyone looking for a neat puzzle game. Now I want to play more Tomb Raider.

Neon Struct was developed by one dude, and it's a pretty solid stealth game. Reminded me of Thief in that you have a visibility meter and foot steps on certain floors sound different (you can walk on carpet quietly but you have to crouch on concrete). Good stuff.
    • Like Like x 1
  37. SkywardCrowbar

A question for @Karkashan :

How do we list a DLC if we didn't complete the base game this year? I finished Champion's Ballad awhile back, but I haven't beaten BotW this year.
  38. Karkashan

That's an excellent question, as I'm in a similar predicament.

I may create a sub-section for Expansion sized content a user feels doesn't equate to the same level as the base game, to be put in a separate list below the main game list.

I would welcome other thoughts or suggestions on this, however. @everyone
    • Like Like x 1
  39. SkywardCrowbar

Honestly, the separate list sounds good to me.

Also, for versions of games that have DLC included, do we count it as just the Game of the Year edition or however it is titled, or do we also tag in the DLC?

For example, when I complete Layers of Fear Legacy on Switch soon, will it be counted as just Layers of Fear Legacy, or Layers of Fear + Inheritance?
  40. Karkashan

If you do complete the expansion content that was included, the putting in the format of Base Game + Expansion (SystemAbbreviation) OR Base Game (Systemabbreviation) + Expansion could work. However if you feel the expansion isn't really worth mentioning (or, if the base game was never released on the system you played it for) then you could simply go Game (SystemAbbreviation).

So if I beat Nioh, then the DLC, it would look like this: Nioh (PS4) + Dragon of the North + Defiant Honor + Bloodshed's End DLC. However if I beat Nioh on the PC I could go Nioh (PC) + Dragon of the North + Defiant Honor + Bloodshed's End DLC OR Nioh (PC) OR Nioh: Complete Edition (PC).
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  41. SkywardCrowbar

Layers of Fear: Legacy (NS)

Starts off with a bang, and then slowly drifts off into tedium. Some great moments, followed by too much predicitable stuff. An interesting concept that wasn't taken far enough story wise, but nonetheless largely enjoyable.

7/10.

Resident Evil Revelations 2 - The Struggle (NS)

Pretty fun action oriented piece of DLC. Short, but sweet. Gives you a better sense for Moira as a character, which surprisingly makes her a little less annoying.

8/10.

Resident Evil Revelations 2 - Little Miss (NS)

Stealth based DLC that serves to further expand the game universe. I found the gameplay very boring, but it hit on some rather impressive emotional notes which give added depth to the main game.

7.5/10.

@Karkashan The Resident Evil DLC's will just be added to my listing for Resident Evil Revelations 2, correct?
    • Like Like x 1
  42. Karkashan

Yes, they would. They would more properly be formatted as " The Struggle + Little Miss DLC "
  43. CitizenOfVerona

Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance (PS4)

I was expecting a "Chain of Memories", I heard this was a love it or hate it game but it exceeded my expectations, I really liked this one. If it wasn't for all the pet similator stuff (which is requirded to learn abilities) it honestly might be my favorite. It has the more fluid controls of 2 but much more interesting level design, probably my favorite batch of levels in terms of design (not Disney properties though).

The story is really only convuluted because of the dialogue because really, it's not that hard to understand, it's just all the way it's told and the dialogue makes it more confusing then it needs to be.

I'll probably play A Fragmentary Passage the weekend sometime, then I think I'm finally caught up for 3.
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  44. Karkashan

Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth (Wii)

Ya know, sometimes I forget how difficult a game can be. Other times I remember it's difficult and yet somehow still get surprised by how difficult it is.

This time was definitely in the latter category.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  45. CitizenOfVerona

Contra: Rebirth (Wii)

Pretty fun, but short
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  46. CitizenOfVerona

Oniken (PC)

There's a fine line between hard and bullshit, I think this game passes that line a few times.
    • Like Like x 2
  47. Karkashan

Finished playing Planet X2 (C64) , a homebrew game made by the 8bitGuy for the Commodore 64. Very basic RTS (which is understandable) but it was nice to not only play something on my Commodore 64 but also play a game in my downstairs library.

praisegrima
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  48. CitizenOfVerona

Not sure what I should be more jealous of. The fact you have a library, or the fact you have a downstairs.
    • LOL LOL x 2
  49. Karkashan

....Okay, now I can finally say that I've 100% finished Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS) . All heart containers, all gold skulltulas, our boi Ganondorf defeated.

God I love this game so much.

...also I remember the skeletor fight during the escape sequence being harder. Ganondorf was annoying as always, but for some reason I had better luck reflecting his fireballs with the master sword than the Biggoron sword.

Ganon killed me once, but that was mostly me being a bit cocky after regaining the Master Sword.

grimabepraised
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  50. Shoulder

Shoulder Your Resident Beardy Bear

You guys are so busy with your completions of various games, and I have yet to actually finish one game this year. Something is very wrong here... :mplain:
    • LOL LOL x 1