To Be Infinite - 2018 Games Completion Thread

Discussion in 'Multi-Platform' started by Karkashan, Jan 1, 2018.

1. CitizenOfVerona

CitizenOfVerona Spectacular Staff Member

Steamworld Dig 2 (PC)

Good thing about being sick as a dog is that I can finish a game in two sitting (or lying downs) without feeling too bad.

edit: I prefer the "Heist" style more than "Dig", but Dig 2 is such an improvement over 1, and 1 wasn't even bad or anything. Image and Form are quickly becoming a favorite developer of mine.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. CitizenOfVerona

Last of Us: Remastered + Left Behind (PS4)
    Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep: A Fragmentary Passage (PS4)

Just kinda spent the day playing through the couple hour campaigns of Left Behind and KH 0.2

I think I like The Last of Us a bit more the second time around, played it a couple of years ago and thought it was good. I still don't think it's the second coming of Grima or anything, as the game mechanics have been done before and done better, but the story is well written with some memorable moments.

Kingdom Hearts is fun as usual, although it has a couple of "I'm gonna juggle you for awhile and there's nothing you can do" boss fights. That said, this may be the most beautiful game I ever laid eyes on, fantastic art direction. Lastly, after playing with Aqua in this, and Riku for half of 3D, I'm really dreading returning to Sora as the one sole protagonist again.
    Aqua best girl
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Karkashan

Karkashan Well-Known Member

I may not have gotten done as much as I wanted for Mega March (home improvement projects took up too much time), but I did manage to finish Mega Man ZX (DS) tonight.
  4. Karkashan

A BOLT OF BRILLIANCE!

I finished up Detective Pikachu (3DS) tonight. Very cute, charming, and fun detective style adventure game.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. CitizenOfVerona

Final Fantasy IX (PS3)

So I kinda just went balls in all week on this game. Always thought this was my favorite FF, but since I began replaying/playing entries that I missed out on I can't say what my favorite is anymore. I think Kuja remains my favorite villian, then again Sin is pretty dope too.

I will say I think the PS1 games may be my favorite "trilogy". I just fucking love the premises and story, so crazy and imaginative, and I'd be lying if I said watching the ending of IX didn't make me choke up a bit. Vivi's monologue, seeing how everyone's life continues...damn.

I do have a lot of nostalgia for this game. Never before had I experience a story that dealt so heavily about fear of dying (hits a bit too close to home) and defying fate. Kuja's boss music, as a kid, just encapsulated all those feelings so perfectly. Everything just came so damn well together in that fight that even hearing the music now gives me emotions in a way few other things can.

...Or maybe I'm looking to hard into and at the end of the day it's simply a damn good RPG, yeah probably that.

[​IMG]
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 3
  6. CitizenOfVerona

Gunman Clive (3DS)
    Super Mario Land (3DS)

Just one of those nights.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Shoulder

Shoulder Your Resident Beardy Bear

I should start calling you Citizen of Games. @CitizenOfVerona

You're a beast for all the games you've been playing lately. Wish I could play more games like I used to. :(
  8. CitizenOfVerona

Well, in all honesty my hobbies lately have been just gaming and reading. I've read around 10 books since New Year's, and all those games.

Thing is, I live by myself, I don't have a S.O., and I don't usually see my friends in the work week. Weekends are usually when I go out. Also, I don't watch television/Netflix at all really, and haven't watched a movie in ages. So it's safe to say when I get off work my evening time is reserved for books or games (for the most part).
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Karkashan

Beat Pokemon Colosseum (GCN) tonight. Just got to purify my Shadow Pokemon and grab my Ho-oh, and I'll be just about done with 3rd gen when it comes to my living pokedex.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. CitizenOfVerona

Hitman Go (PC)

Like Lara Croft Go, just a nice puzzle game. Highly recommended.
  11. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

I was playing that last year. Charming visuals and nice story.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. CitizenOfVerona

Tomb Raider (2013) (PS3)

I'm pretty excited for Shadow of the TR, so I decided to replay this one. I still love it despite the lack of good puzzles and the forgettable cast. I might end up playing a few more before Shadow comes out.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Shoulder

Xenoblade Chronicles X (Wii U) <---(Well, duh!)

The credits rolled, so I'm counting this one. I finished the storyline of Xenoblade Chronicles X a little while ago, but there is still a lot of Mira to explore.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Karkashan

• Like Like x 1
  15. Shoulder

I was thinking more this:

• Like Like x 1
  16. EvilTw1n

EvilTw1n Even my henchmen think I'm crazy. Staff Member Moderator

Super Mario Odyssey (NS)

As @Shoulder said...
    I'm in the Mushroom Kingdom, and I'm sure there's plenty of bonus content, but I don't know how much of it I really feel like doing. SMO is a really, really good game. Super charming, and I laughed my ass off at the "end." But...it's not my favorite Mario. And once the credits roll, I don't typically dip back into games.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Shoulder

This has been my problem for a lot of games over the years because I perceive as the credits roll as the final send off; the sense of satisfaction and reward that the game is finished. But if there's something that is becoming more the case over the last 10-15 years, it's that open world games have stuff occur AFTER the credits the roll, and the main story line is finished. For myself, while I have played many games after the credits rolled (GTA being one of them), most others that I have played, I normally just play again from the beginning, and explore the area again.

I'm seeing something similar right now with XCX, even though having played a few affinity missions, I'm discovering there's a lot more to do now, and I at times feel like looking forward for better stuff. I'm already working on developing some new gear-chief among which is the Ares 70 Skell, but at the same time I feel there's enough unique things to do in the game that is keeping me playing it.

I can't say right now what game I'll tackle next, but It'll likely be another Wii U game, or a Wii title possibly. I know I still have The Last Sotry, and Pandora's Tower to play, so there's that to consider.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. CitizenOfVerona

I vote Pandora's Tower.
    • Like Like x 4
  19. Shoulder

The Last Story it is then. TLS appears to be the lesser of the three Rainfall games, so I should finish it with Pandora's Tower as a result. :mthumb:
  20. Karkashan

Finished God of War (PS4) (aka God of War 7) just a few minutes ago. Really fun game.

I know some may disagree for whatever reasons, but I think this one is my favorite of the series.
    • Like Like x 2
  21. CitizenOfVerona

How long is it? I heard 30-35 hours from some people.
  22. Karkashan

I think I managed to get through it in just around 30 to 33 hours (it doesn't give you a play time counter, so I'm having to guess based on how many days I've played it versus breaks I've taken, work I've gone to, and Den of Trials I've completed)

There are probably ways to get through it even faster, though, since I did quite a bit of the side content as well.
    • Like Like x 1
  23. CitizenOfVerona

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadow of Valentia (3DS)
    DOOM (PS4)

Didn't end up doing the post credits dungeon, saw the credits roll and that's enough for me. Maybe it's because it's technically the 5th FE 3DS game I played so maybe I'm burnt out, maybe it's the "NES" way you spoke of Kark. Still, it was mostly enjoyable. Wet blanket main characters though.

Ended up replaying DOOM again, this time on a higher difficulty. Still awesome, still fun as hell, still my favorite game to come out in the past couple of years.
    • Like Like x 2
  24. simplyTravis

simplyTravis "A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

I finally finished Pillars of Eternity (PC) the other day.

I'm super hyped for the sequel coming out on May 8th (Pillars of Eternity : Deadfire) and decided to get past a part I was stuck on over a year ago. Little did I know that dragons are actually pretty reasonable when you listen to their feelings before acting. Who would have known?

[​IMG]
    "I eat people because nobody listens to what I really need! Just once I wish someone wasn't trying to poke or prod me because I stole a princess. I just wanted someone to talk to. But nooooooo, you gotta come in here all 'You are evil and need to be vanquished'. Evil for what? Just wanting to have a little fun. Put my dragon wings up and maybe dance a little? So what if a couple houses get burned. I could give them gold for a new one if they wanted. I never get that far. Why does life have to be so unfair!"
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Karkashan

I beat Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (NDS) again tonight, although this time I got the map percentage to 100% and also got the reward for getting all of the souls in the game.

Some of those souls were a pain.

• Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  26. sjmartin79

sjmartin79 White Phoenix of the Crown

Over the weekend, I finished Form (Steam VR).
    We bought a VR headset a few weeks ago, and so far we're having a great time with it. (Best Buy was having a huge sale on them.)
    • Like Like x 2
  27. CitizenOfVerona

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (DS)

Forgot how good this franchise is. Even beat Richter mode, last boss took me a lot of tries.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  28. simplyTravis

Nine Parchments (NS)

Finally beat this beautiful game. It's a great Diablo-like experience but with wizards. There is an awesome friendly fire system that affects both players and enemies alike. You can also cross beams and take down baddies ghostbusters style.

[​IMG]
    The most wizardy game around!
    Last edited: May 8, 2018
  29. Karkashan

;)
  30. simplyTravis

[​IMG]
    • LOL LOL x 3
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  31. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

I think this might be my favorite of the portable games as of last time I played them (about 3 years ago). It's got the music, the gameplay, the worlds, both characters are fun, the bosses are great, it's got freaking count Orlok in it. It's just damn good fun. Richter mode is great as well.
    • Like Like x 2
  32. CitizenOfVerona

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3)

Not quite sure why I like it as much as I do. It's not my favorite or "top 10" or anything, but I enjoyed my revisit. Some enemies were annoying, some levels were too. I hated how the movement direction would get locked after a camera transition (come on lads, reminded me of Resident Evil on PS1).

Also I find the ending a bit of a dick slap. Gabriel beats Satan, gets forgiveness from God, says his lovely goodbyes to Marie, etc etc. Then what does he do? Gets turned into Dracula, "Prince of Darkness". Whomp whomp. At this point I haven't played Mirror of Fate or LoS2 so maybe I'm missing something, still, don't know whether to laugh or swear.

Isn't Orlox in Symphony of the Night?

I can see why PoR is you're favorite portable one, apart of me thinks it may be mine as well. I do think I may have to give that nod to Circle of the Moon. I always "liked" the Metroidvania Castlevanias, even though I find the upside down castle in SotN a bit unnecessary, but when I played CotM for the first time all those years ago, it's like it all clicked together. I then went on to marathon 8 of Castlevania games. Safe to say I enjoy all of the Metroidvania 'Vanias.
    • Like Like x 2
  33. Juegos

I forgot the name of the one I was thinking of is Brauner in PoR. But Count Orlok is the name of the vampire in the silent film Nosferatu, and he's the inspiration for both Olrox and Brauner.

[​IMG]

Incidentally, Nosferatu is inspired by Bram Stoker's Dracula, but because the film studio couldn't get the rights for that they had to use different names for the characters. Later, when Werner Herzog remade Nosferatu, the vampire is actually called Dracula. By the way, I totally recommend watching at least the Herzog version of Nosferatu. It's a great movie.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  34. CitizenOfVerona

I never saw the remake but I did watch the original with my sisters ages ago. Despite its age I thought it was still a creepy movie. Since we're spouting fun facts out, Robert England based his body language on Nosferatu in Wes Craven's New Nightmare.
    • Like Like x 1
  35. Juegos

Would you say New Nightmare's worth watching if I never cared about the originals much?
  36. CitizenOfVerona

Hard to say. I enjoyed it, one of my favorites of the series but it may be one of those things were to get the most out of it you should know certain scenes and characters of past movies (mostly 1 and 3 i.e. the Wes Craven trilogy since he directed 1, 3 and New Nightmare) . Takes place in the "real world" where the Nightmare movies were made and the actors play themselves.

It might be worth it cause it's not a straight up slasher film and has some interesting ideas. I know a few people who don't like it as much so it may be one of those polarizing movies.
    • Like Like x 1
  37. EvilTw1n

I Am Setsuna (NS)

(@Majorbuddah - as promised, finished thoughts on the game, albeit much later than I thought it'd be.)

Alright, so it sticks the landing. This game tried so, so hard to turn me off to it. The lengths Tokyo RPG Factory went to trip over their own dicks is almost impressive. To wit:

-The weakness of ATB combat is when you're waiting around for someone's turn. "Well, we attacked, and the monster attacked, so I guess we ought to stand around and do nothing for a few seconds, right?" So take that and add the Momentum Gauge, which is fundamentally another, slower ATB gauge - not for a turn, but for a special bonus that you can release. Early on, that gauge really helps with combat, because it gives you a damage bonus when you're pretty underpowered. So you have to stand around and wait for it to charge up...in a combat system in which you stand around too much already. But there's a short cut! If you sneak up on enemies from behind, your Momentum Gauge will automatically fill up and you can use it immediately. So how do you sneak up on enemies? Stand around and wait for them to turn their backs to you.

-Bosses, of course, have their own ATB gauge. But some bosses will hit you two, three, four, five, six times on their turn...killing one character (although there was a time when two died!) before you even get a turn in. Others will effing spam Stop on you endlessly, freezing your ATB gauge, making someone else waste a turn to heal you with Panacea. So you just stand there, having a train run on you like a Chibi Freak Show(™) until you finally get ready to wind up and attack...only for them to hit you with Stop before the next attack is actually initiated. I mean, after playing enough Xenoblade, I'm used to difficulty spikes. But some of these bosses are horse shit.

-Momentum is explained pretty damn badly in the game. I had to go read online how to really use it (similar to XBC2, and I would assume other RPGs, you time a button press after you attack or use magic to get a bonus).

-There is also a "Fluxation" bonus in combat. I don't know what it was for, because it was explained terribly.

-There was a "tech" menu for your magic. I don't know what it was for, because it was explained terribly. (Maybe using magic in the pause menu?)

-The entire econcomy and Spritnite (magic) system is explained terribly. Allow me to edit what should have been in the menu. "Beat monsters, get loot materials, which are the raw materials to make Spritnite. Sell loot materials to a wizard motherfucker who will then make them into Spritnite. Now you can get Spritnite from him. You place Spritnite in the slots of a talisman. Voila! Now they're magic spells. Use them in combat and kill things. Or cast healing spells for comrades. But mostly to kill things."

-I like solo piano music. Up to a point. 3 hours, maybe? So thanks for giving me more than 8 times that amount, Square Enix. Think I'm good for the rest of my life now.

-The save system is utter nonsense. It's 2018; why do I have to walk out of a perfectly good town, see a load screen, and go to the overworld map, press start, and cycle through a menu just to save my game? Why do you taunt me in every other part of the game with a grayed out "Save" menu icon? I'll cut them some slack in dungeons, because there turns out to be a story payoff for them there. However, it's a story payoff that could have existed with more save points. Not one spaced out every half hour.

-The overworld map is there purely for nostalgia, and isn't very well designed. It's in need of either a faster movement speed, or a run button. And there isn't anything interesting to do there except for walking on shiny objects, which are random materials you can pick up. ...do you know how stupid you have to be to make a map that is entirely white and have a faint, shiny object on it? They put in a sound effect for it. They should have put in, I dunno, color?

-I beat this game in about 25 hours. You could probably beat it in closer to 20. To make travel tolerable on the overworld map, they give you an airship.

-THEY GIVE YOU AN AIRSHIP AT HOUR 19.

That reads like a pretty badly designed game, doesn't it?

But, despite themselves, despite interlocking gameplay systems that sound more like a drunken session of Mad Libs amongst Tourette patients than an elegant JRPG, the baseline of this game is so solid that it works. In freaking fits and starts, it works. Because ATB might not be my favorite system, but you probably have to have its coding tattooed into your eyelids before you can be employed at Square Enix, so it's still workmanlike and gets the job done. Because the overworld-town-dungeon rhythm is the missionary-position sex of RPGs, and it makes up for novelty by way of familiarity - and at least has the respect to look you in the eye.

It works because, by the end of the game, you're thrown into bosses and have to take your turn before your Momentum gauge fills. Which turns Momentum into something more passive, so you will be accruing Momentum points by accident, and can then cash them in during combat when you truly need them (which finally lets ATB be ATB).

It works because some of the characters, after 23.5 hours, finally shrug off their obvious tropes and have some heart to them. The story gave me almost nothing but the barest of scraps for 24 hours, but then it assembled them and created something...beautiful, if I'm honest.

Mostly, it works because it completely sticks the landing, and the last two hours are what the whole game could have been.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 3
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
  38. simplyTravis

Man..why'd you have to convince me to start playing this again, ugh. Well written. Loved this write-up on the game.
    • Like Like x 1
  39. Karkashan

About the spoiler: The DLC for Lords of Shadow actually goes into that.
    • Like Like x 2
  40. CitizenOfVerona

I don't think I can handle this game. I've been thinking a bit about another RPG called Cthulu Saves the World because I found out a game Steam keeps recommending me (Cosmic Star Heroine) was made by the same team. Cthulu took me 8 hours and I grew a bit tired of it before it ended. I think it's one of the funniest games I've played, but the whole town - overworld - dungeon formula grew tiring because every dungeon was cut from the same cloth, very little variety between them except the layout and monsters you fight.

So 25 hours of that? I always was curious about the game but I think this'll be a hard pass sadly.

Good writeup though dawg. We were a good team for the front page once weren't we?
    And by we I mean you.
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  41. EvilTw1n

Very kind of you, but really, I wouldn't recommend getting back into it unless you're already about half-way through. At that point, the time investment is worth it. If you're past the Aurorean Tiger boss, it's definitely worth finishing. Those mid-late game bosses are truly bullshit, though; they should have been the end-game (which, instead, is a war of attrition that you can beat so long as you don't eff up and miss your heals). There is way, way too much chance involved with the combat in some of them - sometimes you get one-shotted because reasons, sometimes the boss doesn't spam spells, sometimes you win because a boss's attack misses.

I'm in favor of finishing any game that any of us buy, but with this one, you have to balance how much the final 2-ish hours of the game matters to you. Because it's a bit rough to get there.

[Some of my criticisms of the game's plot and combat stem from its length, though. For a short JRPG, there is no piecemeal doling out of the combat system; everything is thrown at you early. The characters don't really get room to breathe, because moving your central plot is the important part. Think of a game like XBC2 - you don't hit a chain attack until like 20 hours in, and you don't find out important stuff about Nia until like 30-40 hours. Setsuna has to do it all within 25 hours or less. But I applaud them for making a JRPG like this. We should be able to play manageable RPGs that don't take 80-100 hours without long breaks, lest we forget crucial mechanics.]
    Oh, if that pattern bothers you, you'd have a hard time here. Pretty much every dungeon looks and feels similar; they have some secondary paths here and there if you want to get optional loot, but they're very straightforward. There are outdoors sections that act as quasi-dungeons, too, so sometimes you're going town - overworld - woods - overworld - town - dungeon or some variation thereof. The final dungeon has a bit more of an ambitious layout, but the tiles are literally a palette swap from the earlier dungeons.

And you're a damned good writer, dude.
    • Like Like x 1
  42. Aki

Aki Well-Known Member

Bloodborne (PS4)

Took me about two years to beat this game, playing it on and off. When I actually did beat it, I was playing it consistently for a few months. This was my first foray into Souls games and let me tell you, it did not disappoint. To me, it's top 2 this generation for sure. My only slight against it is that there was no Pro patch for the game other than that, I liked everything else about it. I also kinda feel like I accomplished something when I beat the game which was a nice feeling. It brought back a lot of memories from my younger days when games were challenging.

Shenmue (DC)

Finally!!!!!! The epic has been beaten. I want to preface this by saying that I believe that Shenmue is by far the most revolutionary game ever made and it's a shame that Sega's unfortunate history has swept it under the rug despite it being the no.1 kickstarter ever. Big thank you to any Shenmue fan who reads this. We did it guys. We made it come true. The saga continues. For those of you who don't know, I will give you a brief history lesson on the game and it's creator, Yu Suzuki. Think of Shenmue as the Lord of the Rings of video games. This was a massive undertaking in the world of video games where we went from N64 not being able to play video files to PSX games not being voiced to a game that was fully voiced, mocapped, and orchestrated. You can think of it as the first ever big budget modern day AAA game. Even for a long ass time after it's release, it was the most expensive game ever made. Between Shenmue and Shenmue II, they were made simultaneously, Sega spent about $82M and this was between 1994-1998. The game actually contributed to the bankruptcy of Sega, however, the higher ups considered it a company project and therefore Suzuki was given a blank check and he did not disappoint. This game was his magnus opus. He took everything he had learned in his career and made it into this one game. Look up his previous works to understand what this means. His game, Virtua Fighter II, was the first game to be put in a Smithsonian museum. He created what we now consider to be the open world genre and he damn near perfected it on the first go, think of Super Mario 64s impact on 3D games. Yu Suzuki, a living legend, was a game developer and director on the level of Miyamoto x Kojima. A true visionary in the industry who unfortunately does not get the modern day praise he deserves due to a combination of him remaining loyal to Sega and Sega mismanaging themselves / him to this day. He drove a Ferrari at the time and he was a game developer. I think that tells you everything you need to know.

Now, it has taken me a few years to beat this game, but I finally did it and am glad that I did. Simply put, this is the most impressive game that I've ever played. To this day, I don't think any game has achieved this level of realism. Honestly, I don't think any game will. The fact that you can go to Tomato Mart and buy Sega Saturn games is cool as shit. Or that you can go to an in-game arcade and play Sega arcade games like Hang-On and Space Harrier instead of actually following the story is also cool af. Also, Timex is the official clock / watch of the game and in the OG JPN version / new modded versions, Coca Cola is the official beverage company of the game. It's small details like that that add to the realism. Then there is the gameplay which is deep af. This is a third person, open world game with the fighting system of a fighting game, Virtua Fighter. The driving sections of the game are based on Hang-On. The game also introduced us to scripted QTE based scenarios which were amazing at the time. My only complaint is the lackluster voice acting in the US version of the game and the somewhat clunky controls / camera. The latter is just as much a hardware oversight as it is a design oversight. The story was really cool. Basically an eastern tale of revenge and ancient prophecy. The story is a 12 parter however the first 5 or so parts are condensed between games 1 and 2. I will leave you with this

"He shall appear from a far eastern land across the sea,
    A young man who has yet to know his potential,
    This potential is a power that could either destroy him or realize his will,
    His courage shall determine his fate,
    The path he must traverse, fraught with adversity, I await whilst praying,
    For this destiny predetermined since ancient times,
    A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light,
    And thus the saga… Begins…"
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 3
  43. Karkashan

Okay, I still haven't finished, but I've gotten some headway into the transfer process from Gens 3 to 4, so I'm just gonna go ahead and add
    Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald and Fire Red (GBA) to my games completed list for this year, as I went through and started fresh save files on all those games (while leaving my Leaf Green file intact) in order to get pokemon for my Living Pokedex ft Ribbons.

Why "ft. Ribbons"? Well, what that means is, is that I'm taking Gens 1 and 3 (and any Shadow Pokemon left over that were part of the Gen 2 dex), getting a single pokemon for each pokedex entry, then taking them all through the Elite 4 to get that sweet, sweet ribbon. Or, shall I say, I took them through. Then I grabbed extra pre evolutions for any pokemon that had extra 4th gen or later forms or evolutions, so I could have those later pokemon with that gen 3 ribbon.

Does this mean I'll be giving all these pokemon, plus the gen 2 and 4 pokes, the Sinnoh ribbon as well? You betcha. I'm even gonna give them the ribbon for beating Red in Mt. Silver. Is this going to take a while? Oh, definitely. Considering I only had to worry about two gens so far and it took me 5 months to get this done, I imagine that each succeeding gen will get progressively worse (with the exception of gen 5, which had no ribbons). It is also very, very easy to get burnt out on this stuff, so I'm probably going to spread this stuff out deliberately anyway to keep my sanity intact.

Now, onto talking about the games proper:

It might be because I played basically the same game 3 times in a row, but the Hoenn games were somewhat annoying in their fetch quest like structure. Also annoying in that running shoes didn't work indoors. That being said, they did introduce interesting mechanics into the formula, the story was cute and charming, and the graphical upgrade from gen 2 and gen 3 was amazing. (also there would just be times I would just marvel at how freaking smooth the animations could look, especially the starting battle cutaways).

Fire Red's main fault is that it's based on gen 1, and while it does many good things to freshen things up, there does remain that feeling of "wow, they could really shortened up the second half of the badge quest". But hey, at least you can run indoors.

All in all, good games, but not sure if I can rec playing all of them like I did.

grimabepraised
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  44. Karkashan

I played The Stanley Parable (PC) tonight. Very charming game, although I'm sure I missed 1 totally obscure ending.
    • Like Like x 1
  45. CitizenOfVerona

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (PS3)

Boss fights were kinda shitty, story can be hard to follow, has a few old school elements like the standard maze-like level filled with enemies or walking into a room and getting hit before you can realistically react to it. Yet, I very much enjoyed it. Nothing was a deal breaker despite me saying a few curse words.

The spells and items are really fun. Some explode enemies, some shrink them until they die, and my favorite dissolves them into a poison puddle in which kills any other enemies that come into contact with it. Tarot cards screen nukes all enemies and kills them in random ways, so the screen just fills with blood, flying limbs and poison. You can also mind control monsters to flip impossible to reach switches. Freeze time and stun enemies are also included, it's a really fun bunch of ways to solve puzzles and murder the world.

I think I just really like vampire based stories. Some of my favorite books are Dracula and Salem's Lot, and I love Castlevania. I look forward to eventually playing Soul Reaver, but I think it's time to finally start Bloodbourne.
    • Like Like x 2
  46. FriedShoes

FriedShoes MLG Staff Member Moderator

My cousin found an old case of PC games, which I experienced partially back when I was like 3 or 4, but now as an adult I can enjoy them with a discerning mind.

Quake 1 (PC)
    Which I will hereafter refer to as Rage 0. What the fuck was that ending? Even Icon of Sin was more involved. But great game otherwise.

Where In the World is Carmen Sandiego? (PC)
    Not sure which year this one is, I think it's the 1996 version. I learned a lot about countries that no longer exist, like Zaire. The game is fucking long btw. But it has some interesting music that I enjoy and I liked being constantly taunted by Carmen. Dont know what that says about me, I wouldnt look into it. Spoilers:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Adventures of Hyperman (PC)
    An adventure game, an edutainment type joint that does not handhold you at all. Well, actually if you fail out of some sequences, you can continue the game, but you will get the bad ending. And you will fail out of some of these things, in particular theres a point where you have to navigate a hot air balloon through wind drafts with limited gas and no retries, you have to get it right the first time. Just terrible. Thankfully it was pretty short and I did enjoy the animated cutscenes and humor the game has; its fourth wall breaking and cute.
    Last edited: May 19, 2018 at 5:51 PM
  47. CitizenOfVerona

I remember playing Carmen Sandiego way back in the day. There needs to be a new one.