Together We Ride - 2017 Game Completion Thread

Discussion in 'Multi-Platform' started by Karkashan, Jan 1, 2017.

1. SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar Hero of the Wastes

Super Mario Run (Android)

At first it seems like it should be a good, basic tier Mario game, but damn it is frustrating. Mario requires too precise of controls of controls to be played with one thumb.

5/10.
  2. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 Fresh starts now Staff Member Moderator

Shovel Knight
    Switch

Man this is still a monster of a game. It's gotta be in my top 5 of 16-bit graphic games. It's one of the best games that was never on the SNES.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Karkashan

Karkashan Well-Known Member

SkywardCrowbar Just an FYI, but there is no "Android" category in this thread, merely a "Mobile" one.

Um, isn't SK considered more psuedo 8 bit?

praisegrima
  4. mattavelle1

Maybe I don't know:mconfuse:
    • LOL LOL x 1
  5. SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar Hero of the Wastes

@Karkashan: I will use "Mobile" for now on, thanks for the heads up.

I beat a couple of games this week.

Fast RMX (Nintendo Switch)

A decently fun racer with gorgeous visuals and a great atmosphere. It suffers mightily from some of the most egregious rubber band AI I have ever encountered though.

6/10.

Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope (Nintendo Switch)

Holy wow! An A+ game that is a stunner from beginning to end. So much creativity, so much fun. The controls are so tight that you never get mad at the game when you die.

9.8/10.

Super Bomberman R (Nintendo Switch)

Clunky controls, boring characters and plot, mediocre visuals... Not a lot to recommend here at a price point of $50. As a $10 indie game, perhaps worth a shot.

5/10.

ARMS (Nintendo Switch)

(Note: I completed the single player, offline. My overall thoughts on the game are still forming.)

It plays better with the Pro Controller than with the Joy Con honestly, but either way, it is an absolute blast to play! Every character is fantastic, and it is ever so satisfying to feel a punch land.

9/10.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Karkashan

Beat Star Wars: Republic Commandos on PC. It was a very fun game with a great soundtrack and challenging gameplay.

praisegrima
  7. Shoulder

Shoulder Shouldy McShoulderface chippin' in

Finished the storyline mode in Just Cause 2 last night. Only at 47%, and due to the glitch during the one oil rig mission, I'll never be able to reach 100% completion (which I doubt I'll ever get to). I will however take over all military installations.
  8. Superfakerbros

Superfakerbros ECE 2018 Staff Member Moderator

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (3DS)

Enjoyable and I appreciate a lot of the changes they made, such as the game being nearly fully voice-acted and the character designs. The game's story is typical Anime affair but so is pretty much every other Fire Emblem game and it gets the job done. But, good lord, is grinding in this game a pain. With most other Fire Emblem games I played and beat, I had to do far less grinding to have my characters level up to where I need/want them to be but, in this one, it just takes way too long. It's a fun game and a good change of pace for Fire Emblem but the grind needed to be handled better
    • Like Like x 1
  9. CitizenOfVerona

CitizenOfVerona Spectacular Staff Member

Quake 2 (PC)

ID Software just knows how to make me hard
  10. Shoulder

First you Get Hard, then you Walk Hard through the game, and shortly afterwards you Die Hard. It's quite the Hard Boiled life you live.
    • LOL LOL x 1
  11. CitizenOfVerona

Strife The Veteran Edition (PC)
  12. Karkashan

Finished Salt and Sanctuary on the PC.

Fairly good game, overall. Very Portrait of Ruin esque in some of the level design.

praisegrima
    • Like Like x 2
  13. mattavelle1

Plague Knight
    Switch

And with that it concludes my beating of the Shovel Knight Tresure Trove on Switch.

People if you haven't played this it's 3 complete and very different games in one. And it freakin rocks!
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Shoulder

After several years, especially since the IP owner's of it won't bother re-releasing it, I downloaded, and replayed No One Lives Forever myself without their consent...and it was glorious to replay one of my favorite games of my childhood.

It felt good to see the credits roll once again. :mgrin:
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Karkashan

Finished the Defiant Honor DLC for Nioh on the PS4.

Now to grind levels so I can get to the Very Very Hard difficulty mode and get the new type of loot.

praisegrima
    • Like Like x 1
  16. CitizenOfVerona

Devil May Cry 4 (PS4)

Really want to play this, shame that Night Dive couldn't get the rights.
    • Like Like x 3
  17. Majorbuddah

Majorbuddah My real name is Dolemite

been working on completing some of my backlog this year, especially on xb1.
    upload_2017-8-6_17-1-49.jpeg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

currently closing in on completing dark souls 2 and diablo 3
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Majorbuddah

almost forgot...

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Karkashan

I'm gonna need platform information for all this, Major.
  20. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

Finished

Wind Waker HD - Wii U
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  21. mattavelle1

Switch

Beat Splat2oon

The last couple of bosses were hype. But the single player over all is much like I felt about the first game. This is one of the few games that I would be totally cool with being a multiplayer only game.
    • Like Like x 2
  22. CitizenOfVerona

Hitman Season 1 or 2016 or whatever you wanna call it (PS4).

I beaten the story but I can see myself replaying the missions in different ways. Might be just behind Doom as my favorite PS4 game.
    • Like Like x 2
  23. Majorbuddah

everything's xb1 except tf2. just have to play sunset overdrive (finally) and I'll be on to my ps4 backlog.
  24. Majorbuddah

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  25. Karkashan

Major, again, I need platform information.

Next time, just type it out like this "Game (Platform)" and then add any random media you're wanting to add to it.
  26. Majorbuddah

And I need a woman with big tits who can cook.

[​IMG]
    • smh... smh... x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
  27. Majorbuddah

28. Shoulder

Last night, I finished through the campaign of Tomb Raider (big shout out to @CitizenOfVerona for gifting me a Steam copy), and was an awesome. Being a big fan of Uncharted, I felt right at home with Tomb Raider, and liked the role-playing elements with upgrading equipment and weapons, and abilities.

I look forward to when I eventually get Rise of the Tomb Raider. :mthumb:

Next game on my list to tackle is The Saboteur on PC, which I've already started, but now going to go all in with killing me some Nazis.
    • Like Like x 2
  29. CitizenOfVerona

Glad you liked it.

The tomb raider franchise is weird in that the first game of each series sets the bar, then the rest just build on it but are otherwise very similar. 1, Legends and 2013 are the games that change it up and the rest just follow suit. So yeah, Rise is essentially more of 2013 with a few new items, moves, etc.

I know you hate tank controls, but if you're curious to what the older games are like, I do recommend Legends - Anniversary - Underworld. They're more puzzle oriented and level by level, but they control much better than the old ones.
    • Like Like x 1
  30. Shoulder

I might have to consider it. Thank you. I'm also looking into checking out Guardian of Light like we chatted about last week.
  31. CitizenOfVerona

Yooka Laylee (PS4)

I picked it up near launch but had other things to play, so I held off a bit. Then when I wanted to play it, the devs announced a substantial patch for camera control, bugs, etc. I waited til that came out and it did last week. I just got the platinum trophy on it.

I fucking love this game. I don't know how buggy or broken it was on launch, but after this patch I can say it's great. I totally get that I'm the target audience for this game, my nostalgia boner for Banjo-Kazooie is a mile long, but even so, I still say this is a game worth playing. There is some jank to it like in the mine cart levels come to mind (and I love the DK mine cart levels), but the minute to minute gameplay of exploring and jumping is fine.

Looking at reviews of the game, I have no idea why it scored so low from some places unless it was a mess at launch.

Damn I'm in a good mood now.

edit: Also, that fucking soundtrack. So good.
    • Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017 at 2:06 AM
  32. Karkashan

Mystic Messenger (Mobile). Quite the fun otome (visual novel with cute boys) game.

praisegrima
  33. Shoulder

I recall that the reason why people didn't like it was because it was mostly a nostalgic run of a game, rather than trying to "innovate." Look, I get it. Innovating, or doing something to enhance the genre is great and all, I've gone into detail about this at times, but there's still something about goign down a trip to memory lane, and I believe that is what Yooka Laylee is trying to do. It must've since your nostalgic boner was at maximum attack mode. So...did your boner go all Banjo-Kablewie then? :msrs:
  34. CitizenOfVerona

I'm disagreeing with you on reviewers being negative because it's just a nostalgia grab, but you gotta wonder why a game like Sonic Mania is getting so much love. Or fuck, a lot of Nintendo properties.

It's been awhile since I played Banjo, but I still think it's better. More worlds, more unique words at that. Has more imagination as well I think. Yooka's writing relies heavily on breaking the 4th wall, much more than any of the old 64 games.

I still love it though, I do miss these kinda of 3d platformers so I'm happy it exists. If they do a sequel though, I would like more elements to separate it from it's heritage. I wouldn't want this whole potential franchise to be just a "Banjo knock-off"