Together We Ride - 2017 Game Completion Thread

Discussion in 'Multi-Platform' started by Karkashan, Jan 1, 2017.

1. CitizenOfVerona

CitizenOfVerona Spectacular Staff Member

This is the only game on GOG wishlist. I want to play it.

Speaking of FPS' games you beat, I finally tried NOLF, but it doesn't work well on my laptop. First area has weird graphical glitches and some textures disappear outright. Oh well.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Shoulder

Shoulder Shouldy McShoulderface chippin' in

If you can get passed the rather smart/cheap A.I., MOHAA is a great game. Fantastic sound design and soundtrack, good graphics for it time, good all around missions, and not too long to overstay its welcome. I was going to try out the expansions next, and then finish up The Saboteur.

I've been on a Nazi-killing spree as you can see. I was watching some clips of Wolfenstein 2: New Colossus, and now I want to revisit The New Order.

And I just got Metroid: Samus Returns yesterday in the mail. Hmmm.
  3. CitizenOfVerona

Perhaps I'll try it out after Metroid and Psychonauts. Psychonauts was free the weekend so I decided to give it another go. So far much better than the PS2 version, I think I can actually get somewhere now.

I too think I'll play New Order again soon.
  4. Shoulder

Guess I'm in a Nazi-killing mood right now. Just finished once again Return To Castle Wolfenstein (PC). I have to say, the Venom minigun is probably one of the greatest miniguns in any game. The power, the sound, and the coolness factor of it. Totally Badass.

Think I'll go ahead and finish up The Saboteur (PC) next, which will likely be sometime this week. :mthumb:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar Hero of the Wastes

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PC)

I didn't get as deep into it as I was anticipating, but I did thoroughly enjoy it. I completed the main plot at only level 6!

8/10.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  6. CitizenOfVerona

Metroid Samus Returns (3DS)

edit: I think I'm gonna go back and get 100% items, but that might be over the course of a few days or weeks. Either way, I saw the credits scroll.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 3
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  7. Karkashan

Karkashan Well-Known Member

I also finished Metroid: Samus Returns on the 3DS (got 100% items as well).

Great game. I loved it.

grimabepraised
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  8. Karkashan

Also finished the Story mode for Marvel VS Capcom: Infinite (PS4)

That shit was goofy as all hell but damn if I didn't love every minute of it.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. CitizenOfVerona

Psychonauts (PC)
    • Like Like x 3
  10. EvilTw1n

EvilTw1n Necessary Evil Staff Member Moderator

Metroid: Samus Returns

16 hours and change (hey, I like the Spider Ball, OK?), only 50% items, so plenty to go back and look for.
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  11. CitizenOfVerona

Machinarium (PC)
    • Like Like x 1
  12. sjmartin79

sjmartin79 White Phoenix of the Crown

Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle 100% (NS)
    • Like Like x 3
  13. BobSilencieux

BobSilencieux Well-Known Member

Gimme one more day and I'll be able to say the same thing.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. BobSilencieux

...And done. 100% everything. The final boss, and a couple of the bonus ultra challenges gave me a little trouble, but apart from that, easy perfect ratings every time. Great game, absolutely my cup of tea. It's a definite 9.5/10 for me.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Karkashan

Beat Zero Mission on the GBA on both Normal and Hard.

praisegrima
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  16. Aki

Aki Well-Known Member

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    Switch
    August 2017
    ~ 170 Hours

I didn’t 100% the game, but I completed all of the side quests, cleared all of the shrines, and fully maxed out most of my armors. The game was unbelievable and I really hope the continue with this style for Zelda. This is also the first game that I’ve beaten in over a year, that’s how busy I’ve been the past year and a half.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  17. BobSilencieux

I also just beat Samus Returns on the 3DS. It was... hmmm, good. But I vastly preferred Rabbids. And there's a sentence that has never entered my consciousness before. I preferred a Rabbids game to a Metroid game. Super Metroid is my favourite game of all time! What has happened to reality?
    • Like Like x 1
  18. BobSilencieux

Super Mario Kart - SNES Mini

I used to say that this was tied with Kart 64 as the best game in the series. And I can still see what a fantastic series opener it was, but with each entry in the series getting progressively more user friendly and - more to the point - easier, it's pretty brutal coming back to this one. Still, you can't argue with that Rainbow Road.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Shoulder

This I think counts since the credits are rolling. For the first time ever - yes, first time ever, I went through the campaign of the original Star Fox on the brand new SNES Classic. I recall playing the training area, and maybe Corneria back in the day, but never went through an entire campaign. (Level 1 to be precise)

I'll definitely have to try out level 2, and level 3 campaigns at some point. :mgrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  20. CitizenOfVerona

Final Fantasy 6 (GBA)
    Cuphead (PC)
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  21. Karkashan

I've thought about it, and since the SNES Classic is technically a new console, I will ask that if anyone beats a game on it in the future, they point that out so I can make a note of it (gotta have that data for the end of year stats, after all).

(SNES CL) is the abbreviation I'll go with.
    • Like Like x 2
  22. EvilTw1n

EvilTw1n Necessary Evil Staff Member Moderator

Super Metroid (SNES - Rasberry Pi)

5:45 / 60%

Decided to play this while apartment-sitting. Was not great at first. But then I played around with a few software controls, and most crucially, turned my friend's TV on to game mode. I'd like to say that it's 90%-95% of the way there...but...well, my comparison is to what was on Wii and Wii U, which was also software emulation. So for all I know, this is actually 100% faithful to the SNES cart.

Hiccups? I'd have to play them back-to-back, but the screw attack seems a bit wonkier here. Crocomire's hit boxes were just a touch finicky; I hit him on the jaw way more than I ever have before. But...that's it, honestly. This is a fantastic way to play Super. I was using an SNES-alike pad, which was pretty damn good (this is the first time I've played Super post-Wii U where I haven't wanted to remap the jump button to a trigger...this SNES pad felt right). This is the largest screen I've ever played Metroid 3 on (55" or so), and the sprite work holds up surprisingly well on a huge screen. I think I got somewhat lost twice, because this game is frickin' magic. For my personal GOAT, I've been leaning hard on Breath of the Wild claiming the top spot, but...this game is pretty close to perfect. Some people go back and read Lord of the Rings every year, some people go on a vacation to the beach every summer. Once every year or two, I go to Zebes. And it never, ever disappoints.

I'm really impressed with the Pi. I might have to get one of them, legally gray areas, be damned.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  23. Karkashan

Emulation that's not official counts as the OG platform, just as an FYI in case I forgot to list that.
  24. Karkashan

[​IMG]
    I've now completed Tomb Raider: Legend (GCN). It felt good to hook up my purple lunchbox and play a pretty good action platformer game on it.

My stand out nitpicks are:

QTE prompts were sometimes hard to see since the X and Y buttons are such a strange shape and are gray, so they can blend in in certain environments.

Motorcycle segments were a touch too long.

Lara really likes to jump the wrong way a lot.

Favorite Levels:

Toss up between Russia and Tokyo. I may not have thought the pacing of the motorcycle segments was perfect, but I did enjoy them and the level itself. And Tokyo was a lot of fun, gunning down Yakuza and using billboards to gymnast my way up the building.

grimabepraised
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  25. repomech

repomech resident remnant robot relic

I started and finished a game this year!

I did a playthrough of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1 classic on Vita).

That may well be it for me for the year. I continue to play Breath of the Wild, Puzzle & Dragons and Crypt of the Necrodancer in my spare time.
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  26. Karkashan

[​IMG]
    Started and finished Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PC) tonight. It was a fun game, I gotta say.

praisegrima
    • Like Like x 1
  27. BobSilencieux

Super Metroid - SNES Mini

99% items in 4.20, which is not bad considering I hadn't played this game for at least a few years at this point. Also still managed to pull off a couple of interesting sequence breaks (early Varia suit, early power bombs, that kind of thing).

Still GOAT quality, 10/10 will play again.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  28. CitizenOfVerona

Brah
    • LOL LOL x 3
  29. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 Fresh starts now Staff Member Moderator

:msleepy:
    • LOL LOL x 2
  30. BobSilencieux

Super Metroid - SNES Mini

100% items in 2.25

I would like to do it in under 2 hours like I used to, 23 years ago.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 4
  31. SkywardCrowbar

Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting (SNES Classic)

I am 1) bad at fighting games, and 2) have never played a Street Fighter game before. Beating the game on low difficulty with Chun-Li was a massive challenge for me. I love the visuals, the music, the characters... Everything but the challenge being so high.

6/10.

Star Fox (SNES Classic)

As someone who never played this game growing up (I didn't have an SNES) I really love the visuals! I think they are unique and highly engaging. The combat is viscerally intense, and of course it has one of the all time most rocking soundtracks.

8/10.
    • Like Like x 2
  32. SkywardCrowbar

Star Fox 2 (SNES Classic)

Extremely ambitious game for the SNES. What a shame that it never was released until now! Superior frame rate and graphics to Star Fox 1, and a beautiful variety of objectives.

9/10.

Paper Mario: Color Splash (Wii U)

It's what everyone thought it was going to be right after that reveal trailer... It's Sticker Star II. The good news is that it is basically what Sticker Star should have been had that core concept been executed better... The bad news is that it is still basically Sticker Star, which is just flat out not a good game.

5/10.
    • Like Like x 3
  33. CitizenOfVerona

Kingdom Hearts Final Mix (PS4)

[​IMG]
    • LOL LOL x 1
  34. sjmartin79

sjmartin79 White Phoenix of the Crown

Finished Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS) last night. What a great game!
    • Like Like x 4
  35. Karkashan

[​IMG]

Finished Middle Earth: Shadow of War (PC) today. Took me roughly 52 hours to do so (finished the main story and the post game Shadow Wars in order to get the final epilogue ending)

A very fun and enjoyable game all around, felt quite a bit better than the first one. If this was my only new game til Xmas like when I was a teenager, I could see myself having a lot of fun with the Online component, as the times I dabbled with it it was pretty fun (I just have my own money now and can buy my own games and have a giant backlog, so the desire to do so is lessened).

grimabepraised
    • Like Like x 1
  36. CitizenOfVerona

Wolfenstein The New Order (PS3)

God damn. I remember liking the game a lot, but I remember a few levels being "meh". Not this time around, loved it from start to finish. Even the sewer level with that mini-submarine vehicle didn't last near as long as I remembered. Only thing this game is missing is Goldeneye-esque cheats, I sort of want to play it again but cheats would be a whole other thing.

Makes me beyond happy Doom and Wolfenstein are on top again. All we need is a single player Quake.
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  37. SkywardCrowbar

Pokemon Gold (3DS)

Not a whole lot to say beyond that it's classic Pokemon! A little more refined than Gen I, and the new Pokemon are great.

9.5/10.
  38. CitizenOfVerona

Costume Quest (PC)

Didn't realize the DLC came bundled, so I'll probably beat sometime tomorrow/the weekend
    • Like Like x 1
  39. Karkashan

Pokemon Sun (3DS)

Finally finished up my Japanese Pokemon Sun (in English!) playthrough. Still a fantastic game.
  40. CitizenOfVerona

Just finished that Grubbins on Ice DLC for Costume Quest. Really short, basically just a slighter bigger area compared to any single area from the main game. Still enjoyable.
    • Like Like x 1
  41. Karkashan

[​IMG]

Finished the Story and a fair portion of the bonus content for Fire Emblem: Warriors (NS). This is a Warriors af Warriors game, but the FE mechanics aren't just skin deep, as there is a weapon triangle and it does completely change the flow of battle compared to, say, HW or something.

All in all, though, I liked it quite a bit.

grimabepraised
    • Like Like x 1
  42. Shoulder

I think what the Switch needs is an online shooter like Quake. Just good ole competitive death match, or even something like Unreal Tournament.
    • Like Like x 1
  43. Griesham

Griesham New Member

I just finished Middle-earth: Shadow of War, or Shadow of Lootcrates as they say. Apart from facepalming at the fact they crammed in lootcrates into a single player RPG, the game is fun. I'd give it a solid 7/10.
  44. CitizenOfVerona

I don't know about that, arena shooters seem to not be popular anymore. Lawbreakers has less than 10 people playing already. Hero shooters and PUBG seem to be the new "it" thing.

I'm curious to see how Quake Champions will do.

That said, only multiplayer game I give a shit about these days is Quake Live. Me and my friend have a great time playing over LAN. My toaster of a laptop still runs it at 100+ fps.
  45. Karkashan

You can't smell that many FPS's, COV.
  46. CitizenOfVerona

Am I missing a joke here?
  47. Shoulder

Yeah. You have no sense of smell! Bwahahahahahaha!!!!
  48. CitizenOfVerona

:(

I'm gonna assume she meant "see", in which case, yeah. I was just saying that Quake Live runs great on low end hardware. I was curious how well it ran so I turned on the in-game FPS counter and it was always above 100.

I'm the kind of person who still has no problem playing n64 games, but Quake Live is smooth as butter.
  49. Karkashan

I know what I said. And yes, it was a joke.
  50. Karkashan

Let me know if I've missed any platforms you play on or own. Also, I'd like some feedback on what you guys think about where things like the 32x and the Sega CD should fall (should they be their own thing or no)

(NES) Nintendo Entertainment System
    (SNES) Super Nintendo Entertainment System
    (N64) Nintendo 64
    (GCN) Nintendo Gamecube
    (Wii) Nintendo Wii
    (Wii U) Nintendo Wii U
    (NS) Nintendo Switch
    (GB) Game Boy
    (GBC) Game Boy Color
    (GBA) Game Boy Advance
    (VB) Virtual Boy
    (DS) Nintendo DS