Ultra Street Fighter 2 Thread - Hyper Salty Edition

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by Juegos, May 22, 2017.

1. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

Alright guys, so Ultra Street Fightr 2 comes out this Friday. Who's getting it? What character are you going to play first?

This thread is for general discussion about the game, organizing matches, sharing tips, bragging about your rank, and talking trash about the first-person hadoken-er mode.
  2. Juegos

So to start, of course I'm going to get it on day one. As far as what character I'll play, I think I'll force myself to start with an unfamiliar character, but I'm torn between E. Honda and T. Hawk.
  3. Goodtwin

Goodtwin Well-Known Member

Yep, I will be getting it as well. I haven't owned a Street Fighter games outside of the Virtual Console, so this is pretty attractive to me. I still need to pick up a Pro Controller, so this game will likely push me into it. I think Ultra Street Fighter should make for a great game to play on my lunch breaks. I also want to support this game because I feel like this is Capcom testing the waters a bit. If Ultra Street Fighter does well, Capcom will be more inclined to bring future Street Fighter games to Switch.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Juegos

I'm getting super hyped for this game to come out.

Street Fighter V is not like this. In SFV, battles are a slugfest in which you frequently trade medium pokes until one of you can confirm a hit into super or v-trigger cancel for big damage. Alternately, it's a reverse tug-of-war to push your opponent into the corner so you can wear them down until you take the round.

Street Fighter 2 seems so different. It sems that, after developing some fundamental skills, so much of this game boils down to the player's creativity. Your options are simple, and the execution is short but precise - but can you come up with a gimmicky tactic that your opponent just cannot deal with? With just that one tactic, you can win dozens of matches. But when you're on the receiving end of a gimmicky tactic, it may also seem like you character doesn't have a response against it - until you stumble upon an attack that seems to always blow up your opponent. Then, you abuse your tactic until someone blows you up in turn.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 Fly to the treasure chest and back Staff Member Moderator

Yep Ill be picking this one up on Friday. Right now Ima have to hit it up with my girl Chun..........but I thinking of starting with Blanka or Vega.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Juegos

Bump. I'll try to write a little guide soon.
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  7. mattavelle1

I think I've found my boy DeeJay. I wasent expecting, or even thinkin about him.......hell I haddent even heard of him. Maybe he picked me:mconfuse:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. FriedShoes

FriedShoes MLG Staff Member Moderator

Don't buy it
    • LOL LOL x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Juegos

slap
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Goodtwin

It seems like the only significant grevience I hear concerning USF2 is based on its price. Just like a low price doesn't make a bad game good, charging a premium price doesn't make a good game bad. I see some retarded low scores out there, and the major gripe is just the price. So for $20 less it suddenly becomes a good game again? You can still be of the opinion that it's overpriced without knocking it's score into the gutter. A reasonable score would be in the 7-8 range in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
  11. Juegos

The game is a blast for me right now. I'm encountering some serious resistance trying to climb to 2000pp online.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Goodtwin

Me too, but 200 instead of 2000. :p

• Like Like x 2
  13. Juegos

I've seen a lot of guides and beginner advice threads for Street Fighter out there in the past couple of years. They always say things like, "learn your bread-and-butter combos, make sure you are ready to anti-air your opponents, know your frame traps, etc". In my opinion that kind of stuff comes later. The very first thing a new player should try to learn is how to move around the stage confidently. Compare this old footage of mine, where I move very erratically as Makoto (Ryu is my opponent):

In that footage, I often stay still when I could be improving my spacing (or positioning), I jump to move around when I could be simply moving or dashing more safely, and there generally seems to be no purpose for my movement other than rushing at the opponent like a mad bull. Contrast that with this footage of me as Ryu from a year and a half later:

You should notice that I'm frequently taking small steps forward and backward to make sure that I'm in a good range for my attacks, and that my movement is a lot more deliberate in general. A lot of it is having more tactical considerations in my head (whether I should press my opponent into the corner, whether I want to be right next to them when they get up from the ground, whether I want to cross under them before they fall out of the air so I can surprise them, etc), but more than anything it's just having built the nerves to stand in a place or move around with being terrified of being hit by the opponent. Because when I remember how I used to move so erratically back in the first few hundred matches of Street Fighter 3 and 4, and from other fighting games from my childhood, what I remember the most is being afraid that my opponent would hit me, and jumping around in a desperate attempt to avoid that.

So, movement is definitely one of the most important concepts of fighting games, and though your movement options are limited in SF2 (basically move, jump, crouch, and the occasional whiffed special), you still won't get anywhere until you get rid of that fear.

As for an actual plan of action: I recommend that you save your replays, and when you have a particualrly difficult match, go back and watch the replay of it, and save it for the future as well. Hopefully you'll be able to see ways in which your movement was erratic, and later have the presence of mind to correct those mistakes. As for getting rid of the fear of getting hit, just try imposing limitations on yourself during a match, such as, "I won't jump". That way you'll be forcing yourself to really learn how to move around, to get out of range of enemy attacks without any unsafe, desperate moves, to block when you need to block, and to generally feel like you have better control of your character.

The funny thing is that everything I wrote above applies to ARMS, or even to Monster Hunter, and probably even to real life sports. Controlling your character (or your body) with confidence is what allows you to perform more difficult actions effectively and put into effect complicated strategies.

TL;DR: Always work on improving your control of movement. Everything else stems from that.
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  14. mattavelle1

I'm at like

500pp
    500bp

(Whatever all that means) (but for sure I've been playin the hell outta online with great connections with randoms)
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Juegos

PP means player points, you get them by winning online matches with any character.
    BP means battle points, and they are tied to each character. You can have 2000BP with DeeJay buy only 50 with Ken, and still have 500 PP. The difference is that BP sometimes increases even if you lose against a tougher opponent, or you might lose very little BP if you lose against someone of the same skill.

So BP pretty much just means your experience with a specific character, while PP is meant to reflect your true skill as a player.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. simplyTravis

simplyTravis "A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

I can't help but feel that this game is more enjoyable than the newer Street Fighters. The simplicity of it really is nice. The matches I've had tonight didn't feel like peck-a-thons but more like crazy strategies that kept changing. It was more akin to a good round of Smash than SFV.

Don't get me wrong, I'd buy the hell out of SFV on Switch, but I'm quite pleased right now and intend to keep playing.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Juegos

YEAH BOI, I got to top 100 in the US region. Next up, top 100 in all regions.

2017053100302400-92EDE0C7C89D5ED13D0CA773BE080402.jpg

This game is a lot of fun. I do like how SFV plays better so far, but this has been even more fun than I expected.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Juegos

This game has the wackiest hitboxes and frame data.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Goodtwin

I managed to get over the 1000 threshold today in player points. I then proceeded to get me ass kicked for the next hour and slid back down into the 600's, but have since climbed back up to about 800. There are some really good players and not to many total scrubs. From my perspective of course, I'm sure I am the total scrub to a lot of players. This game takes me back to when I got competitive with Goldeneye and Black Ops on Wii. I can get so damn infuriated when playing its not even funny. I'm the reason Nintendo is so conservative with voice chat. LOL Anyway, I have played 13 hours of USF2 so far, and it really has gotten me addicted to it. Say what you will about the pricing; this is not a bad game. Its actually a very good game.
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  20. Juegos

There is no salt like the salt of going on a loss streak in Street Fighter. After years of losing, you will want to hit things, you'll break something, and you'll contemplate your fundamental weaknesses as a human being. Progress is painful in Street Fighter. But because there are no external factors to your victory, it's very rewarding.
    • Like Like x 2
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  21. Aki

Aki Well-Known Member

I've been loving this game and having lots of fun w/ it. Lots of close matches w/ @simplyTravis and @mattavelle1. I can feel my Akuma getting better and it's exciting. Anyway, I'm looking forward to playing more people from here.
    • Like Like x 3
  22. Juegos

I gotta try to get some games with you guys once I get back to my bro's apartment. Right now I barely get a few matches at night before going to sleep.
    • Like Like x 2
  23. mattavelle1

It's a great great game. I knew I would like it, I didn't anticipate lovin it and wanting to play it as much as do.

So far @Aki Akuma has wreaked my DeeJay, aswell as @Goodtwin chun li.
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Karkashan

Karkashan Well-Known Member

I got this game on launch day and I still haven't touched it. I want to, but Fire Emblem has consumed my soul.

Someday, perhaps.

praisegrima
    • Like Like x 2
  25. simplyTravis

simplyTravis "A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

Me the last week or so...

26. Juegos

I hit a wall trying to get to 2500 PP, so instead I've been learning other characters. I'm basically trying to get other characters to 2500 BP, which is C+ rank. So far I've gotten Ryu, Evil Ryu, Akuma, and Fei Long to C+. Right now I'm working on Dhalsim, Sagat, and Guile. I think once I'm done with those I'll get back to my main karate man, Ryu.
    • Like Like x 1
  27. Goodtwin

There seems to be a huge bias in this game for Ryu. 80% of the online matches I played are against someone using Ryu, and the rest are Violent Ken and Akuma. Are these characters unbalanced or simply popular? My best character by far is Chun Li, but she doesn't seem real popular.

28. Juegos

Ryu is always the most popular character in SF gamea by far. He's usually not op or anything, just really popular and the best to learn the game with.

Violent Ken and Akuma are shenanigans, though, that's why they get picked so much.
    • Like Like x 1
  29. Goodtwin

How are Akuma and Violent Ken much different from Ryu? Move sets are very similar.

30. Juegos

Akuma has an air fireball that provides excellent pressure. Violent Ken has a teleport that lets him get through fireballs and long pokes, which combined with his frame 1 shoryuken is a nightmare to deal with. Both of them have lower health to make up for these tools, but they're still very scary.
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  31. Goodtwin

Hyper Salty Raging is something I experienced the other night playing online. I was having a pretty good go for a while, working my PP up to over 1400. Was doing pretty well. Lots of competitive matches, but I was having a pretty good run. Then it turned on me, and things went south big time. I proceeded to lose match after match. You would think that having a bunch of close matches would be better than getting blown away, but it is actually worse. There is no rage like losing over and over, with each battle seemingly having a chance of victory. I'm not kidding, I was screaming profanity. Its the stuff funny youtube videos are made of. I was so pissed I nearly threw my Pro controller at the wall.

I have noticed a lot of people seem to avoid tough matches, presumably to keep their PP rating on the rise. Even when losing, if it was a really close match I have had tons of people immediately back out of the lobby. The PP system certainly brings along some level of accomplishment, but can also bring a level of aggravation. Similar to chasing a high KDR on COD.

I still love this game, but man....you wouldn't think so if you heard the profanity being spewed during some of my sessions.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
    • LOL LOL x 1
  32. Juegos

Street Fighter V has made me rage like that. I actually need to buy a new pcb for the stick I use for PC because I went on such a bad losing streak that, even though I did my best to avoid straight up throwing the stick, I still yanked it and slammed it on a bed and that was enough for it to stop working. Another time it got me so messed up I had to search in my soul and realize that I won't get anywhere half-assing things in life. And another time it made me realize there is a fundamental weakness in me that I can't overcome without making a real effort to learn and practice.

I love fighting games because I feel like the competitive struggle can teach us a lot of things about ourselves, not just on fighting games but other aspects of life. But goddamn, the salt is very real, and it fucking sucks to go on a losing streak like that.
    • Like Like x 2
  33. mattavelle1

I feel this so hard. To but things quickly in my experience there is no salt like fighting games salt. In the end what makes me so made is 2 fold.

1. It's competive 1v1 and I hate losing. And when the losses come at such a fast clip (1 round is only 99 seconds) it doesn't take long for those to mount on my patience.

2. It falls on me. I choose to do that move that got me rekt, I choose to challenge someone in a fight, I choose to jump into your fist. It's all rage inducing because I made the calls.
    • Like Like x 1
  34. Karkashan

Finally stuck the ethernet in the Switch and played some of this tonight (aka 4AM my time).

I won once, so I'll take tonight as a win despite losing several times before that.

grimabepraised
    • Like Like x 2
  35. Goodtwin

Am I the only nut that plays this game with the analog stick? Even after getting my Pro controller, I still use the analog stick. For me I just cant use the dpad as effectively.
    • Like Like x 1
  36. mattavelle1

Yeah your a madman! I have to play with the dpad in this one.
    • Like Like x 1
  37. Karkashan

I play with the analog stick as well. I don't know, but the D pad on the pro controller just felt awkwardly placed to do certain motions.

praisegrima
    • Like Like x 1
  38. Juegos

The dpad is a little too sensitive so that I sometimes jump accidentally when doing a hadoken motion, but I feel like it gives me faster inputs than the stick. That's on the pro controller, anyway.
  39. Goodtwin

Let me put this out there, I have never beater a Street Fighter game on higher difficulties over the years. I only owned Street Fighter 2 for GameBoy (yes, it existed) and Street Fighter 2 Turbo on the Wii Virtual Console. Never sunk a ton of time into either version. I would play it here and there, and certainly spent more than a few weekends playing it at my buddies house growing up on his Sega Genesis. I would generally play on either normal or even easy. Ironically my best fighter 20 years ago is still my best fighter.

Today marked a mile stone for myself. Today I was able to beat Ultra Street Fighter 2 on World Warrior (hardest setting) with my best fighter Chun-Li. Fei Long gave me some trouble until I figured out a certain pattern he would follow. Once I figured this out, I was able to crush him easy in two rounds. Cammy has been game for my style no matter the difficulty setting. She became easier over time once I figured her out, but in general her move set is pretty effective against Chun-Li. Props to @mattavelle1 for being a good player with Dee Jay. It didn't matter what the difficulty was set to, the AI for Dee Jay is retarded. Even on the hardest difficulty I was able to perfect him in one of the rounds. It isn't really a knock on the character, you can be good with him as Matt has demonstrated, but the AI was weak as fuck. Lets not forget M Bison. He spams attacks that are obnoxious as hell, and nearly cost me a Pro controller on more than one occasion. I was able to squeak out a victory after about 6 continues. Mission Accomplished!

I really hope Capcom sees Ultra Street Fighter 2 as a game that can and should be an evergreen title on Switch. Not that it will sell millions, but if they get the price reduced to $15-20 on the eshop it could chart for a long time. Sales similar to Steam putting it at $5-10 would propel it to the top of the charts in a hurry. This is a very good version of a classic, and the price is the only blemish on an otherwise excellent fighter. I have over 40 hours into this game, and have really enjoyed it. Even if my cursing would make you think otherwise. LOL
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 5
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017