Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by simplyTravis, Aug 10, 2017.

1. simplyTravis

simplyTravis "A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

Being on the forums for some time I noticed that everyone seems to be....opinionated. Most of the time everyone agrees and works things out, but occasionally there are times where you want to say something to just shake things up. This is the place where you can get your unpopular gaming opinions off your chest. Feel free to chime in with others in defense or to chastise each other. Ready? GO!
  2. simplyTravis

My first unpopular gaming opinion is a bit of a doozy.

Metroid really wasn't that great before Metroid Prime.

Discuss.
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  3. theMightyME

theMightyME Editor in Chief of TVEnthusiast

so you never played super?
  4. simplyTravis

I did, but I'm just not the biggest fan of the Metroid formula or platforming. It just never clicked with me. Metroid Prime had exploration, discovery, and really fun shooting mechanics. I much preferred a Castelvania style game to Metroid (even if they are always put together.)
  5. CitizenOfVerona

CitizenOfVerona Spectacular Staff Member

I actually enjoy video games.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 4
  6. simplyTravis

Resident Evil is unplayable due to the controls. In fact, Capcom makes games unnecessarily hard by implementing junk control schemes. Eternal Darkness was much, much better.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  7. CitizenOfVerona

I'm really trying to think. I know I have quite a few unpopular opinions to everyone on these boards, but in general? I can't think of anything really out there besides some stuff that I'm sure if I look hard enough, I can find a group of people who agree with me.

I guess going off Travis, I actually get a kick out of tank controls. I have no trouble playing the early Silent Hill games. That said, I admittedly can't get anywhere in Resident Evil 1, even with the HD version's new control scheme. I find the enemies take an unnecessary amount of ammo to kill and it kinda deflates my willingness to play it. Maybe it gets better when I find more guns, but when the first enemy can kill me no trouble when I try to use the knife is not right imo.

I suppose another very unpopular opinion is that I think Mario 3D World is the lowest ranking console 3D Mario game yet. Not bad just nowhere close to 64-Galaxy 2.

The classic standby that I like Other M and Metroid Prime Fed Force isn't terrible or the cause of all the world's problems.

I actually like Zelda: Phantom Hourglass yet I find Spirit Tracks boring as fuck.

Again, I doubt any of these are that far out there in terms of unpopular opinions. I'm sure there's something I'm missing but until then these are a few I can actually think of.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 Fresh starts now Staff Member Moderator

It wouldn't have bothered me in the least if OoT wasent ever created.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. BobSilencieux

BobSilencieux Well-Known Member

Most of the so-called best games of the last generation, I thought were crap. Uncharted, Far Cry, Bioshock, Elder Scrolls, Red Dead, Infamous, Ni No Kuni. Crap crap crap crap crap crap crap. Looking back, I don't even know why I bothered getting a PS3.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Shoulder

Shoulder Shouldy McShoulderface chippin' in

THIS! THIS! THIS! SO MUCH THIS!!!

And thanks for reminding me of REmake HD on PS4, because they did in fact add a more conventional control scheme on top of keeping the classic one there for nostalgic sake. I tried REmake on GCN years ago, and the controls ruined it. Eternal Darkness was not necessarily less intense or scary just because you could control your character properly. It's all down to the mechanics, and level design.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  11. Goodtwin

Goodtwin Well-Known Member

You are dead to me.
    • LOL LOL x 5
  12. simplyTravis

But...but...but...if there were no OoT then there would be no BoTW which would be terrible.
  13. mattavelle1

We don't know that because OoT was made.
  14. simplyTravis

I don't see how it would be. BoTW takes many aspects of OoT and improves upon them.

Plus...I think OoT is one of the finest games of its time. It felt like one of the first true epic 3D games.

I'll let you have your opinion...but it's wrong ;)
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  15. EvilTw1n

EvilTw1n Necessary Evil Staff Member Moderator

(I would've sworn we had a thread like this awhile back...)

Xenoblade wasn't very go- oh, wait, shit. I can't use that one anymore.

Lemme think. Hmm...

-Voice chat should be standard in every multiplayer online game. Stan. Dard.
    -Subscription fees for online gaming that use a listen-server to drop off to peer-hosted matches are mostly bullshit.
    -I like motion controls.
    -Paint your base.
    -E-Sports are like fantasy football. I'm happy you like these things, but I have no interest in them.
    -Other M didn't destroy your childhood, but the Metroid fandom is the worst fandom of any major gaming fandom.
    -Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is the most underrated JRPG of the past decade.
    -Retro Studios isn't what it was and nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
    -He who teabags first will be teabagged last.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  16. mattavelle1

And this is what this thread is for. I'm ok with being "wrong":mthumb:

@EvilTw1n we do got this thread around here somewhere I just can't remember it's name for the life of me.
  17. EvilTw1n

• Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  18. simplyTravis

19. EvilTw1n

Dude, that's a pretty old thread. It started in 2013, had a good run into 2014 for about 13 pages, then lay dormant for like a year with a necro post here and there.

I think a fresh thread for the Switch-era is just fine.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Shoulder

I used to be, but I am no longer a fan of Smash Bros. I've simply lost all interest in it. I'd rather play Splatoon to be honest.
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  21. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

Maybe I'll put it in the hall of fame forums. I gotta work on that.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  22. theMightyME

for me, this has to do with my current circumstances.. smash is a total couch multiplayer game... and that option doesn't come up much for me anymore... it didn't on the wii either...

It did with melee on the gamecube...

I don't think my tastes in regards to it, or the quality of the product has changed as much as my circumstances have

It is just the kind of game you play with 4 friends on a couch together... and as you get older your opportunities for that shrink
    • Like Like x 1
  23. CitizenOfVerona

I suppose my biggest one related to TNE forums is that Splatoon is boring af
  24. sjmartin79

sjmartin79 White Phoenix of the Crown

I've tried many times, but Smash just doesn't do it for me. It's just meh
    • Like Like x 2
  25. simplyTravis

I'll say this about Smash. The last Smash was probably the best one in regards to feeling like a smooth, online, fighting game experience. However, I did not care for the lackluster single player mode. There were lots of opportunities for solo play, but they were kind of boring in comparison to previous games.

That being said, the I felt the balance of the players were pretty good. Except that they nerfed my Kirby.
  26. theMightyME

Played it in 4 player local Co op? To me that is the only way to play that game... 4 players local, items ON
  27. sjmartin79

sjmartin79 White Phoenix of the Crown

Yep, many times. My nephew (18 yo) loves the game. So I'll play with groups when there is a party at my brother's house. And played many 4 player rounds on game cube back in the day. Just not a fan.
  28. theMightyME

I am not a fan anymore, was when i played it local 4p... Now that i can't really do that it bites the hell out of me
  29. Shoulder

This is one I already mentioned in the CT, but why not again?

I prefer the Wii U over the Wii.
    • Like Like x 2
  30. Karkashan

Karkashan Well-Known Member

Hmm...

Well, let's start this off by me saying that I place Other M as the second best metroid game of all time, to date. My number 1 is Prime 2.

Oh, and I like all the Metroid games save for 1, 2, and Fed Force more than Super. (and the only one I even really kind of dislike is the OG Metroid as it's just so old)

I like Symphony of the Night but I think the GBA, DS, 3DS, PS2, Xbox, etc. etc (pretty much almost everything that came out afterwards save for the 64 games and Legends) Castlevania games were better.

Mega Man 2 is fun, I like it, but I don't think it's even in the running for the top 10 best Mega Man games.

I don't like the Witcher series cause I think the first game is shit, the second game is bad, and I didn't care enough about the boring ass Geraltina of Rabanastre to give the third game a chance (and I never will).

Uncharted 2 is the only good game in the series. TLOU had a by the numbers story that the gameplay did nothing to save.

And I like Street Fighter V.

praisegrima
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  31. FriedShoes

FriedShoes MLG Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  32. EvilTw1n

Speed runs. I respect people that do it. I'll watch youtube vids of 'em every now and again.

But literally the only game I can think of ever trying to speed run was the original SMB. Every other game, I'd rather take my time with. Speed running just ain't my thing.
    Whew. You're brave. But honestly...if I was going to play a Metroid on the big screen tonight? Other M would probably be my choice.
    Y'know, if you crave more action and killing, the second one might truthfully be more your thing.
    • Like Like x 4
  33. CitizenOfVerona

Gonna have to explain yourself on this one.
  34. Karkashan

No charge.

No slide.

Bad weapon balance.

Crash Bomb Wily fortress boss.

praisegrima
  35. CitizenOfVerona

Git gud

But seriously, I guess I should have elaborated though, I more so meant to ask what are some of your top 10 Mega Man games. You obviously don't have to make me a list. I only every played 1-10 and X1-X4. I can't really get into the X series besides X1. I do want to try the Zero games at some point though.

I don't think 2 is my favorite though, I like a few others more than it but I still love it.
    • LOL LOL x 1
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  36. Shoulder

@EvilTw1n

Agreed on the Speedeunning aspect. I actually like watching them, but I don't see myself attempting it, minus fast lap times in racing games. I respect the folks who do this though, and the sheer amount of dedication they have.

Just watching this progression of speedrunning for SMB3 is incredible too. You think about all the little tricks they at some point discover, and realize this is possible. It's amazing how someone can figure this out.
    • Like Like x 2
  37. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

I don't care about NES and NES games. They're too old.
  38. Shoulder

First thing I thought of:

[​IMG]
    • LOL LOL x 1
  39. Karkashan

Hmm.... Nothing really definitive without spending and inordinate amount of time comparing and contrasting, but Battle Network 3, Mega Man X, and Mega Man 5 are most definitely in there.

praisegrima
    • Like Like x 1
  40. CitizenOfVerona

I think you're the first person I met that likes 5 that much, usually it's the "4-6 are meh or bland".

You're alright kark.
    • Like Like x 3
  41. GaemzDood

GaemzDood Well-Known Member

Really gotta disagree there. Manual targeting was a thing because of OoT, it fundamentally changed action games.
    • Like Like x 1
  42. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

Microtransaction, Season passes, DLC, Pre-order bonus's, and used games are not inherently a bad thing. They have just had their reputation thoroughly been ruined by publishers too greedy to understand how to actually utilize them in a way that is beneficial to both the company and the consumer.
  43. Karkashan

How can a game with a train robot master be "meh? These people you've met have poor taste, methinks.

I agree with this.

We probably differ on what examples were companies being greedy VS companies being reasonable. (Although maybe not as much as I'm thinking)

praisegrima
    • Like Like x 1
  44. mattavelle1

I thought Skyrim was a boring game, and just not very fun, and quite repetive.
  45. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

Although I would argue that Super Metroid was an astounding achievement, I kinda agree with this sentiment. It was not until Prime that the series really carved out its own identity beyond its mechanics.
    • Like Like x 1
  46. simplyTravis

Have you tried adventuring in Skyrim like you did in Zelda Botw? Do you think it would change your view on the game?
    • Like Like x 1
  47. mattavelle1

Yep that's how I played it and that was by far the most awesome part. The adventuring was great, but even walkin from here to there gets boring after awhile with nothing to do.
  48. EvilTw1n

Amount of time I spend giving a shit about analog triggers:

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
    • smh... smh... x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
  49. simplyTravis

They should add korok seeds. At least a few hundred. It would break up the monotony.

I will say...I'm kinda bummed they won't be in Rocket League. That game is far more playable with them.
    • Like Like x 1
  50. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

Breath of the Wild is not a perfect game, and has plenty of room for improvement.