What a save! Rocket League Switch Thread

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by Juegos, Nov 13, 2017 at 10:50 PM.

1. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

Rocket League comes out tomorrow. Who's hype? I know I am.

For those that don't know exactly what Rocket League is: It's soccer with cars. It can be played 3v3, 1v1, or 4v4. There are Basketball and Hockey game modes; a random item Mario Kart-like game mode; custom community-made scenarios like in Super Mario Maker; and game modes keep being added to the game. You can customize your car with cool hats and other accessories. And it can be played online casually, competitively, in private matches; and in local couch or system link multiplayer.

I can easily see Rocket League not just alternating spots with Splatoon 2 during our weekly game nights, but I think it could actually end up played consistently throughout each week. It's just so accessible and so instantly fun. Perfect for quick games and long sessions.

And finally, it's $20. So who's getting it?
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 Fly to the treasure chest and back Staff Member Moderator

YO BOY IS INBOUND DAY 1!!!!!:mlaugh::msrs:
  3. FriedShoes

FriedShoes MLG Staff Member Moderator

4. Juegos

@Goodtwin look at this ingrate. Maybe if you let him buy his own games he'd appreciate them a little more.
    • LOL LOL x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. simplyTravis

simplyTravis "A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

I'm picking it up in 2 hours and 45 minutes!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Juegos

Game's still great!

I played a bunch of casual and ranked matches, and even a game of hockey. I managed to place Platinum I in ranked, which is really surprising because I was around Silver II back on PC half a year ago.

In terms of the graphics, they definitely made 60fps a hard priority at the cost of every graphical option, including resolution. In handheld mode, the game can get a little ugly. In docked, it looks just fine.

I can't wait to play it a bunch more tomorrow night.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Goodtwin

Goodtwin Well-Known Member

Visuals saw a big downgrade?

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
  8. Juegos

2017111415481000-6F4D679ED7D2A016B654B265B956C5F0.jpg
    That's in handheld mode. It's completely functional for the game since it's still 60fps, but the low resolution makes it a little hard to see the the ball when it's all the way across the field. It does look much better in docked mode.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. sjmartin79

sjmartin79 White Phoenix of the Crown

Okay, so I downloaded it. And it’s fun. But after three games, I can say I’m not good. I scored one goal. And my team won twice. But i’m Sure i’ll Get better.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. mattavelle1

Well Ima gonna like this a lot after just starting to play. I also played 3 games and sucked in all 3 but we won. This is gonna be perfect pick up and play tho! I’ll get better but it’s tough sledding starting off.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. simplyTravis

simplyTravis "A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

We seemed to start the night pretty rough but by the end of it the games were getting interesting. Until @Juegos went on a rampage that is. Great games tonight! I look forward to more soon.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. mattavelle1

It was freakin awesome all around!
    • Like Like x 2
  13. GaemzDood

GaemzDood Well-Known Member

That's pretty awful image quality, especially considering DOOM runs at the same resolution. Not sure why it couldn't be dynamically 720p in handheld mode and 900p docked. It's a forward rendered UE3 game that runs at 1080p and 60 FPS on the regular Xbox One.
  14. Juegos

Probably 'cause they had to work on DOOM at the same time. They must have gone as safe as possible to ensure they could maintain a consistent 60fps as quickly as possible.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. GaemzDood

GaemzDood Well-Known Member

True. These guys are busy. The Switch needs more porting studios, and with the success of DOOM and Rocket League, hopefully it will.
  16. Goodtwin

UE3 doesn't have a great track record with 60fps. The PS4 and X1 had the grunt to power through it, but Switch simply doesn't have the resources to spare. Framerate was the priority, and for a game like Rocket League it makes sense.

17. FriedShoes

FriedShoes MLG Staff Member Moderator

I had heard that they plan on working on res in patch updates.
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Juegos

This video is really good for getting started with the game. It explains little things that make a big difference: using the Ball Cam, flipping forward to gain speed, getting boost, spinning in the air to land on your wheels, and avoiding chasing the ball.

My only issue is him talking about flying up in the air. In my opinion, that's not something you can really focus on until later, especially because it's mechanically more difficult. I was telling Matt last night, that actually one thing that is easy to focus on and makes a big difference when you're just getting started is to practice jumping, double jumping, and flipping in the air to hit the ball. Boosting into the air comes after that.
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017 at 2:41 AM
  19. Juegos

I figured out how to play cross-platform with friends on PC.

1. Create a Private Lobby. Select the "Name/Password" option.
    2. In the other system, search for the private lobby with the name and password.
    3. ????
    4. Profit!!!

I wonder if the same system works with PS4 players.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  20. Goodtwin

PS4 doesn't support cross platform play.

• Like Like x 1
  21. mattavelle1

Yeah my new guy I just hired plays rocket league and he said he can’t cross platform.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. EvilTw1n

EvilTw1n Necessary Evil Staff Member Moderator

“It’s literally something we could do with a push of a button, metaphorically,” Dunham told Polygon. “In reality it’s a web page with a checkbox on it. All we have to do is check that box and it would be up and running in less than an hour all over the world. That’s all we need to do.”

So why would Sony tell them no?

“I wish I had the answer to that,” Dunham said. “The only thing that we know is that we can’t do it yet. I can tell you this: From Psyonix, we would do whatever we would need to do to make it possible to be cross-network play with all the other platforms and PlayStation 4. They just need to tell us what that is.”

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2017/6/13/15795376/rocket-league-cross-platform-playstation-4

Only one way to settle this.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
    • LOL LOL x 1
  23. mattavelle1

Right now tho I’m pretty much lovin this game no matter who I play against from any console. To quote myself from last night tho.

“It’s just competitive. Even tho I feel like I’m doin much better, deep down I know I still suck”.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
    • Like Like x 1