What a save! Rocket League Switch Thread

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by Juegos, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

Rocket League comes out tomorrow. Who's hype? I know I am.

For those that don't know exactly what Rocket League is: It's soccer with cars. It can be played 3v3, 1v1, or 4v4. There are Basketball and Hockey game modes; a random item Mario Kart-like game mode; custom community-made scenarios like in Super Mario Maker; and game modes keep being added to the game. You can customize your car with cool hats and other accessories. And it can be played online casually, competitively, in private matches; and in local couch or system link multiplayer.

I can easily see Rocket League not just alternating spots with Splatoon 2 during our weekly game nights, but I think it could actually end up played consistently throughout each week. It's just so accessible and so instantly fun. Perfect for quick games and long sessions.

And finally, it's $20. So who's getting it?
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 ARMS is like breathing.......but more important Staff Member Moderator

YO BOY IS INBOUND DAY 1!!!!!:mlaugh::msrs:
  3. FriedShoes

FriedShoes MLG Staff Member Moderator

4. Juegos

@Goodtwin look at this ingrate. Maybe if you let him buy his own games he'd appreciate them a little more.
    • LOL LOL x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. simplyTravis

simplyTravis "A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

I'm picking it up in 2 hours and 45 minutes!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Juegos

Game's still great!

I played a bunch of casual and ranked matches, and even a game of hockey. I managed to place Platinum I in ranked, which is really surprising because I was around Silver II back on PC half a year ago.

In terms of the graphics, they definitely made 60fps a hard priority at the cost of every graphical option, including resolution. In handheld mode, the game can get a little ugly. In docked, it looks just fine.

I can't wait to play it a bunch more tomorrow night.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Goodtwin

Goodtwin Well-Known Member

Visuals saw a big downgrade?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
  8. Juegos

2017111415481000-6F4D679ED7D2A016B654B265B956C5F0.jpg
    That's in handheld mode. It's completely functional for the game since it's still 60fps, but the low resolution makes it a little hard to see the the ball when it's all the way across the field. It does look much better in docked mode.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. sjmartin79

sjmartin79 White Phoenix of the Crown

Okay, so I downloaded it. And it’s fun. But after three games, I can say I’m not good. I scored one goal. And my team won twice. But i’m Sure i’ll Get better.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 ARMS is like breathing.......but more important Staff Member Moderator

Well Ima gonna like this a lot after just starting to play. I also played 3 games and sucked in all 3 but we won. This is gonna be perfect pick up and play tho! I’ll get better but it’s tough sledding starting off.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. simplyTravis

We seemed to start the night pretty rough but by the end of it the games were getting interesting. Until @Juegos went on a rampage that is. Great games tonight! I look forward to more soon.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. mattavelle1

It was freakin awesome all around!
    • Like Like x 2
  13. GaemzDood

GaemzDood Well-Known Member

That's pretty awful image quality, especially considering DOOM runs at the same resolution. Not sure why it couldn't be dynamically 720p in handheld mode and 900p docked. It's a forward rendered UE3 game that runs at 1080p and 60 FPS on the regular Xbox One.
  14. Juegos

Probably 'cause they had to work on DOOM at the same time. They must have gone as safe as possible to ensure they could maintain a consistent 60fps as quickly as possible.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. GaemzDood

True. These guys are busy. The Switch needs more porting studios, and with the success of DOOM and Rocket League, hopefully it will.
  16. Goodtwin

UE3 doesn't have a great track record with 60fps. The PS4 and X1 had the grunt to power through it, but Switch simply doesn't have the resources to spare. Framerate was the priority, and for a game like Rocket League it makes sense.

17. FriedShoes

FriedShoes MLG Staff Member Moderator

I had heard that they plan on working on res in patch updates.
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Juegos

This video is really good for getting started with the game. It explains little things that make a big difference: using the Ball Cam, flipping forward to gain speed, getting boost, spinning in the air to land on your wheels, and avoiding chasing the ball.

My only issue is him talking about flying up in the air. In my opinion, that's not something you can really focus on until later, especially because it's mechanically more difficult. I was telling Matt last night, that actually one thing that is easy to focus on and makes a big difference when you're just getting started is to practice jumping, double jumping, and flipping in the air to hit the ball. Boosting into the air comes after that.
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  19. Juegos

I figured out how to play cross-platform with friends on PC.

1. Create a Private Lobby. Select the "Name/Password" option.
    2. In the other system, search for the private lobby with the name and password.
    3. ????
    4. Profit!!!

I wonder if the same system works with PS4 players.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  20. Goodtwin

PS4 doesn't support cross platform play.

• Like Like x 1
  21. mattavelle1

Yeah my new guy I just hired plays rocket league and he said he can’t cross platform.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. EvilTw1n

EvilTw1n Even my henchmen think I'm crazy. Staff Member Moderator

“It’s literally something we could do with a push of a button, metaphorically,” Dunham told Polygon. “In reality it’s a web page with a checkbox on it. All we have to do is check that box and it would be up and running in less than an hour all over the world. That’s all we need to do.”

So why would Sony tell them no?

“I wish I had the answer to that,” Dunham said. “The only thing that we know is that we can’t do it yet. I can tell you this: From Psyonix, we would do whatever we would need to do to make it possible to be cross-network play with all the other platforms and PlayStation 4. They just need to tell us what that is.”

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2017/6/13/15795376/rocket-league-cross-platform-playstation-4

Only one way to settle this.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
    • LOL LOL x 1
  23. mattavelle1

Right now tho I’m pretty much lovin this game no matter who I play against from any console. To quote myself from last night tho.

“It’s just competitive. Even tho I feel like I’m doin much better, deep down I know I still suck”.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. mattavelle1

For real tho this is a perfect fit for Nintendo consoles.

Easy to pick up and play, hard to master. And I really struggling with this last part I wanna be real good at the game but man it’s ligit hard.
    • Like Like x 2
  25. EvilTw1n

Bought it tonight, ran through a few matches with the crew.

I suck.

But it's darn good fun.
    • Like Like x 2
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  26. mattavelle1

For sure! They were great matches all around. I really enjoy the 4v4 that mode clicks with me more than any other.
    • Like Like x 2
  27. GaemzDood

Are they doing it with DOOM too? Considering it runs at full 1080p like 99% of the time on a standard PS4 at 60 FPS, the massive drop to 600p docked is odd, especially considering it's 30 FPS and also cuts things like SSR.

Rocket League's resolution drop is even more odd. It's native 1080p at 60 FPS on both the PS4 and Xbox One, and 4kCBR on Pro at a locked 60 FPS. It really isn't using that much *GPU* resources at all. It's mostly CPU bound.
  28. GaemzDood

Going from 1080p on Xbox One right down to 720p on Switch doesn't exactly align with the specs. And UE3's lack of 60 FPS games mainly has to do with the lack of compute shader and shader parameter support (something we also see with a lot of UE4 titles), as well as the infamous streaming issues.
  29. Goodtwin

The Switch docked is a 393Glfop device compared to 1300Gflop Xbox One, and the memory bandwidth disparity is just as large with Switch having 25GB/s compared to 65GB/s on Xbox One, and that doesn't even account for the esram. Going from 720p to 1080p is roughly a 2.5x increase in pixel count. Trying to maintain any sort of parity is going to require such a reduction. I think the results on Switch compared to Xbox One lineup fairly well with the far less capable hardware. I was glad to hear that Psyonix is committed to further improving RL on Switch, and hopefully they can get some sort of AA worked into the game. Regardless, any further improvements they can squeeze out of the hardware would be much appreciated from the rapidly growing userbase on Switch.
  30. GaemzDood

Technically, it can reach 1 TFLOP when using 16 bit floating point precision.

I really hope Nintendo makes a new Switch with Tegra Xavier or something with a dock that has power similar to something like a GTX 1060 (at least).
  31. Goodtwin

At 1Ghz it can, but docked it runs at 768Mhz. FP16 is only useful for about 60% of shaders, and that is assuming you the game is ALU limited, if the software is running into memory bandwidth stalls, then the theoretical advantage of the FP16 shaders is meaningless. The ability to use FP16 is a nice perk, but to assume it really doubles throughput is inaccurate. Your ROPS, texture mapping unit, ALU memory cache and main system memory bandwidth are all static, meaning they don't see any benefit from FP16, with memory bandwidth potentially being even more strained than it already is.

Switch just came out bro, and we wont be seeing a successor for at least 5 years. I don't want to even think about the successor for a long time.
    • Like Like x 3
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  32. GaemzDood

Technically speaking, I know all of this already. I typed that up on my phone while outside in less than 30 degrees weather.

I'm not talking about a successor, more like a mid-gen upgrade. I work two jobs and make good money, so I tend to spend money on whatever hardware is the beefiest. I don't have an Xbox One X yet mostly due to the lack of games I own supported through backwards compatibility and the lack of exclusives.

Plus, you have to think, taking everything you're saying into account, support would be an issue in the long run as engines get way more advanced. DOOM docked struggled to hit 720p and 30 FPS in certain scenarios. Wolfenstein II is considerably upgraded over DOOM, with things like 30k+ draw calls, huge polygon counts, on the fly tessellation, volumetrics everywhere, etc. It can only get worse. Nintendo launched the New 3DS to deal with the 3DS not being able to run certain games, hence why Fire Emblem Warriors, Xenoblade 3D, Minecraft, The Binding of Isaac, etc. being New 3DS exclusive.

Plus, I, for one, would love to see Breath of the Wild in 4k with HDR. The game already has an amazing HDR pipeline.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  33. Goodtwin

I know that you know, but most people are not as interested as we are in the technical specifications of the hardware. Someone could read your post and be mislead into believing that the Tegra X1 powering Switch is a 1 Tflop chip, and directly compare that to the 1.3 Tflop Xbox One chip. This would not be accurate at all. The Tegra X1 docked is a 400Gflop chip that can use half precision shaders and will outperform a 400Glop chip that doesn't support half precision shaders.

I still expect many if not most ambitious AAA games to skip Switch. I do not think the system is selling because of those types of games, and if it is missing more and more of them as the years pass, it wont really matter. No matter what, a device that can only pull around 10 watts will never be able to compete with the capabilities of a 100+ watt machine. Xbox One S shrunk the processor to 16nm Finfet, smaller more efficient than the 20nm process the Tegra X1 is built on, and it still pulls over 5 times as much power as the Switch in docked mode. This chasm will always exist with portable devices compared to devices plugged into the wall with no limitations on power and cooling systems that cold blow dry your hair.
  34. GaemzDood

Well like I said in another thread, the PSP sold worse than the Switch and had a bigger power gap between it and the 7th gen consoles, yet it received installments from franchises such as Grand Theft Auto (two original games and a DS port), Rainbow Six, Silent Hill, Brothers in Arms, Metal Gear Solid, SOCOM, Ghost Recon, Tekken, Mortal Kombat, Guilty Gear, Burnout, Need for Speed, Ace Combat, Assassin's Creed, Final Fantasy (including one of the franchise's best games in years: Type-0), Tomb Raider, and various SNK fighters. Yes, some of these games suffered from control (i.e. any FPS game), framerate, and graphical issues owing to the PSP's specs and lack of dual analog sticks, but while the Switch is lagging behind, it's also easier to port to and tweak controls for since it doesn't force gimmicks like the Wii U or PlayStation Vita (Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus was hell to play on Vita due to touchscreen controls, just saying).

Was the PSP not selling as well as it could/should of due to the age range of the audience it was targeting? Well, that was a part of the reason why it sold less than the DS, as it was released at a time when handhelds were still regarded as kids' systems. However, the Switch isn't being marketed towards kids either, as evidenced by DOOM and Skyrim's eShop sales and Resident Evil: Revelations selling more on Switch than either Wii U or 3DS, which were marketed as kids' systems.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  35. simplyTravis

Calling all Rocket Leaguers!

Tuesday Night TNE will be Rocket League Night!

We are looking for at least 6 people to join so spread the word!
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  36. EvilTw1n

That was stupidly good fun last night.

I suck at finding the proper balance for car control (I'm either going way too fast or way too slow), but that's kinda part of the charm of the game. It paradoxically makes it feel even more soccer-y, somehow.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  37. Goodtwin

Really good time. I was struggling to contribute last night. You guys were flying around, and some of you were sugical with those shots. Its a lot easier playing with the TNE crew than against the TNE crew.

• Like Like x 1
  38. mattavelle1

I really loved last night, and it will be a night I remember the laughs were abundant and the games were epic!

I also love rocket league because while @Juegos and @Swifty are the captains cause they are better. I consider the rest of us really close to the same playing field so it made for some evenly matched games all last night.

Also agree with @EvilTw1n because man I can miss the ball by fractions and like he said it makes it feel more real or that I can get better.

Really loved last night tho ultimately because of you guys. @simplyTravis TNE Tuesday’s are amazing and I appreciate you keeping them goin!
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  39. Juegos

I was telling you guys about some of the crazy techniques that advanced players use. This kind of thing:

• R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  40. mattavelle1

That air drag video is tight!
  41. Karkashan

Karkashan Well-Known Member

Got the collector's edition in the mail today. I'll pop it in sometime tomorrow to get myself at least a basic understanding of the game.

praisegrima
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 3
  42. EvilTw1n

Does the game just randomly close on you guys? I keep getting an error message and then the game nopes the heck off.

Which I wouldn't care about, if the spring event wasn't going on and I wasn't getting robbed outta in-game currency.
  43. EvilTw1n

So, the update...

The game has better ground textures, and the shadowing looks sharper as a result. I actually notice the weather effects now.

But honestly, the best-looking track we played last night was the "bust the floor" mode, because of all the neon and bloom.

I'm happy that the game is still getting attention, but an update of this size (that provided subtle improvements) is gonna make me get a darn SD card. I had to uninstall DOOM to get it to fit.

[Also, sorry about the Paul Walker joke. Rarely have I ever told a joke and had a room fall silent. Too soon.]
    • LOL LOL x 2
  44. simplyTravis

I actually noticed a pretty significant difference. I don't know if it's because I'm playing on a huge tv. I tend to do a lot of defense and it has been very hard for me to gauge the distance of the ball until it hits about mid-field. Last night I could determine if it was coming forward or backward from the goal!

Also, the cars look spectacular now. I have anodized metal on one of my cars and it was a real improvement. I'm going to have to go look at my other cars now since their textures have improved.

I did try quality but it felt like the game was lagging after playing in that 60fps glory for so long. It's damn pretty, but somewhat distracting at times.

I can't be happier with this update. I'm very impressed with the team and what they've done.
    • Like Like x 1