Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by Juegos, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

xenoblade-chronicles-2-concept-art.jpg

With all this online multiplayer goodness we've been getting, and with Splatoon 2 right around the corner, we've forgotten that we'll be able to play Xenoblade 2 in just a few months. I figured now was a good time to start this thread, especially since we got a new interview with Takahashi recently, courtesy of NintendoEverything.

One takeaway from that interview is that, "With regard to the number of places to explore and visit, I think [Xenoblade Chronicles 2 goes] far beyond what Xenoblade Chronicles X was able to offer."

Other noteworthy things are that the world takes place on the backs of Titans, aka flying animal-continents, and each of these Titans will be its own seamless open world; it'll still be a really long game; the battle system is different but still designed with depth and customization in mind; there is no multiplayer; and there is still a relationship and quest system that is directly tied to your characters' skill and gear progression, or even town-building.

This is not from the interview, but it's also noteworthy: in addition to the daytime and weather systems that have been in the games before, there is now also a "tide" system in which the sea of clouds can rise or recede, blocking some paths or revealing others. I imagine there's a lot of treasure and optional boss encounters hidden in this way.

In other words, a lot of the same ideas and depth from past Xenoblade games are in place here, but with some additions, improvements, or different interactions.

Who else is hyped?!
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Shoulder

Shoulder Beardy McShoulder chippin' In...

My body is so ready for this. Y'all ready for this?

• Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  3. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

Im hyped. Still a bit iffy on the new art direction, but excited for the game.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. simplyTravis

simplyTravis "A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

I'm still wrapping my head around it coming out. It's too surreal for me right now. The concept is something I think I would have really loved as a kid. The idea of these anthropomorphic swords/weapons is really cool when you think about it. I'm curious to see which ones turn out evil.

I'm not the biggest fan of the main characters design or the voice actor. I'm sure that will change once I start playing. I really love the blad designs though. They look like they had a fun time creating them. I'm expecting this game to have a massive boost in polish like every other Nintendo release so far for the Switch.
  5. theMightyME

theMightyME Editor in Chief of TVEnthusiast

I am hoping so hard for a Japanese track.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. FriedShoes

FriedShoes MLG Staff Member Moderator

Hnnng thats a good interview
  7. CitizenOfVerona

CitizenOfVerona Spectacular Staff Member

After getting blue balled to Oblivion and back from XCX's story and the new art direction/horrendous voice acting (TAKE THIIIIIIISSSS), can't say I'm exactly excited for this one. That E3 trailer was also kind of a cluster fuck to the senses.

Maybe I'd care more if I had a switch or gave a single squirt about any of the exclusives this year besides Mario, but I keep forgetting this game exists. I'm sure exploring and all that will be fun though.

My birthday is in October and I usually treat myself to something, so maybe that's when I pick up another open world/rpg/whatever then, perhaps finally try Horizon or Nier.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. BobSilencieux

BobSilencieux Well-Known Member

HYPE!!
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 4
  9. EvilTw1n

EvilTw1n Necessary Evil Staff Member Moderator

Time also has another good interview up:
    http://time.com/4848935/xenoblade-chronicles-2-interview/?utm_source=feedburner

Speed of development:
    Q: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 seems to have come together must quicker than Xenoblade Chronicles X. What's it like working with the Switch compared to the Wii U?

A: The ease or speed of developing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 stems a lot from our having already created this architecture with Xenoblade Chronicles X. The game portion of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is kind of overlaid on top of that fundamental architecture. I think that made the biggest contribution to why development went so fast.

Character design:
    Q: I noticed artist Tetsuya Nomura's name in the trailer credits [as the designer of a character named "Toma"]. He's obviously a longtime Square Enix fixture [he's currently directing Kingdom Hearts III and the Final Fantasy VII remake], so I'm wondering how that happened?

A: Good question. This story goes back 20 years. Back when I was about to start on a new game, and the name "Xenogears" wasn't set yet, for that new title I needed a designer. And at the time there was someone who was directing the Final Fantasy series, Mr. [Yoshinori] Kitase. And then Mr. Nomura and I were in the team together doing character design. At the time, Mr. Kitase was handling Final Fantasy and I was doing this new title, and I wanted to work with Mr. Nomura.

So I was waiting for the final call to be made, whether he was going to be working on the Final Fantasy series or on this new title of mine. And then Mr. [Hironobu] Sakaguchi [the creator of the Final Fantasy series] came and said 'Tetsu is going to do Final Fantasy.' So I thought 'Okay, I've got to find myself a new designer.'

But I've always wanted to work with him. And this idea of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 came up, and I thought I'd love to work with him again. After our discussion with Nintendo went through and this project was a go, I went directly to Square Enix, thinking that I'd be denied, asking if I could work with Tetsu. To my surprise, it was approved, and that's how it happened.

===============
    Even if they're pretty much only using an optimzied version of the XCX game engine, the turnaround time for a game of this scale is still absolutely bonkers.

Monolith gonna Monolith.
    Q: Exploration has always been at the heart of the Xenoblade saga, especially in Xenoblade Chronicles X. Can we expect the world to be even more vast on Switch?

A: Exploration will have an even more decisive role in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. With regard to the number of places to explore and visit, I think we’re going far beyond what Xenoblade Chronicles X was able to offer. As you could see in the trailer, you can expect to discover a large number of diverse environments, some natural, some built by men.

[​IMG]

The art direction doesn't concern me. The story only concerns me insofar as I'll have to listen to cut scenes (spoiler: friendship is always the answer). But yeah, the voice acting is cringe-y. The English VA alone has earned the Weeablade Chronicles 2 moniker. Hopefully we get the Japanese dub included.
    • Like Like x 4
  10. FriedShoes

Not getting my hopes up for that. Unless we stink up the place a lot like Zelda fans did to eventually get that language patch months after the fact.
    VA should be pretty bad per usual, maybe doubly so since I think that VA strike is still a thing?? Not that I care to hear the same 3 voices all the time. Didnt bother me too much in XCX but depending on how much cutscenes are in this game it could be a more daunting endeavor. Game sounds amaazing though goddamn. I'm bummed about the MC design, but pretty sure they said you can change up his look so I'll put him in some sentai gear very quickly.
  11. Goodtwin

Goodtwin Well-Known Member

Xenoblade Chronicles X sold me on Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I hadn't ever been too into RPG's, but X was such a fantastic experience that I am anticipating Chronicles 2 big time. I know X played out differently with less of an emphasis on story telling, but just the same I really feel like I will like Chronicles 2 just as much. Part of me wants to download the original for Wii U, but the idea of starting a game that will likely require 75+ hours to complete is daunting considering how much content I want to play on Switch right now. If I find myself in a drought leading up to Chronicles 2; I will give it a go.

X was just such a different experience for me. Getting my ass kicked could at times be resolved with better tactics, but at times simply required me to go do some virtual Cross Fit and buff up my crew. I don't mind a little bit of grinding here and there. In a way, it is similar to fitness in general. Put in the work, and the benefits of the work with shine when performing.

I love the fact that they took their tech built during X and just continued on. I personally think X an awesome looking game. The world is huge and in my opinion as detailed as anything on Wii U. There is certainly a limited physics engine in place because you don't really interact with the world like you do in Zelda BoTW, but it sort of works for an RPG like this. Think of it like turn based gameplay but not turn based. The action is all happening, but at the same time some things are mostly unavoidable. Run all you want, but that kill shot is coming. LOL In the end, the tech they built in X works just fine for its successor. The fact that they made mention of months of polish are yet to come make me think they plan to really impress with the final release. Why even bring it up unless the developer knows they can really make this game shine. I have a feeling Chronicles 2 will be stunning when it releases. The anime style should work well to maximize the potential of that little Tegra X1 processor.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

Here's hoping that they worked a little more magic into the physics and movement AI since XCX. The "plastic figures" feel of XCX was probably my biggest complaint about it, and after playing BoTW it is going to be even harder to go back to that. Granted its not nearly as important as it is in a action game like Zelda.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. GaemzDood

GaemzDood Well-Known Member

That pop in is nuts. It makes Halo 5 look good.

At least the shadows are dynamic this time around.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
  14. Shoulder

TIL That Halo 5 looks bad.

And as far as pop in goes, remember this isn't the finished product. I'm not too concerned about it really.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Goodtwin

I'm not worried about the visuals. They did a fantastic job on Wii U with X, and at E3 they made it a point to mention that they planned to do a lot of polish work over the final months of development. Monolithsoft is insanely talented, and I am sure the pop in will be less pronounced in the final build.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. theMightyME

anybody turned off by the e3 trailer, make sure to check out the gameplay section from treehouse live
    • Like Like x 1
  17. GaemzDood

It really does. I could make a longpost about my personal experiences.

18. Shoulder

Your graphics standards are too damn high, dude. Just looking at compressed and pixelated 1080p gameplay video, I think it looks fine.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. GaemzDood

Not really.

On the regular PS4, my minimum standards for 30 FPS games are a 1920x1080p resolution at a locked framerate with a decent level of anisotropic filtering. For 60 FPS games (on a large scale like DICE games, otherwise, my standard is 1080p), my minimum standard is 1600x900p.

If the game is using PBR, specular, alpha textures, SSAO, etc., it needs to use temporal AA. I was playing Rise of the Tomb Raider on my Pro at 4k downsampled and I still noticed shimmering.

20. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

Speaking as the biggest pessimist on the site here, I would argue that graphics are (almost) the least important aspect of a game. If more studios focused on making the game play well and ironed out its mechanics before the graphics, I think the state of the industry would be far better.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  21. Shoulder

So what if a game is slightly below 1080p, or doesn't have a 100% locked framerate, or it doesn't have the greatest AA method, or the most AF applied, or is using deferred rendering, or forward rendering. Does all his really matter in the scheme of things? It's just graphics.

We are approaching a plateau in video game graphics where the improvements are getting less and less dramatic, and I think becoming less and less important as well. When I see comparisons between Kingdom Hearts 3, and Toy Story 1, it shows that gap is shrinking more and more (KH3 actually does some things better than TS). It also means Sony finally has a console that can produce Toy Story graphics. :msilly:

I know I'm completely putting this thread OT, so to bring it back to X2, it already looks very good, and especially when you factor in the hardware used, the Tegra X1, it's very impressive, and it's also on a system you can take with you anywhere. It won't win awards in graphics, but the art style is not too shabby with the cel-shaded/realistic hybrid look imo.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. GaemzDood

I have a 1080p TV that I want to use to play 1080p media, low or variable framerates cause image judder, and shimmering actually hurts my eyes when I look at it for extended periods of time.

Deferred or forward rendering, I could care less about. That said, the push for deferred rendering is a bit unnecessary in my opinion. DOOM and Forza use a clustered forward render for lighting, and they save tons of bandwidth as a result. Epic developed a clustered forward render for UE4 for mobile (HINT HINT) and VR hardware.

23. theMightyME

the area that a console simply cannot (atleast now) catch up to cg on is ray tracing... the lighting always looks WAY WAY WAY better in rendered cg because of ray tracing... the other thing is that when you render cg you only have to consider a single angle for a single shot... cg movies like toy story frequently used different models depending on how close the shot was, this is something that a video game cannot do... in gaming you will always hit an angle in which things don't look great... in CG rendering you can replace anything that doesn't look right for a specific angle and completely control everything within a shot.

honestly I do not think the toy story graphics from kh3 are all that impressive... I think they were at the point of making models look that good ont he ps3 already...

we aren't approach the plateau... we hit it like 10 years ago... everything is a game of diminishing returns now

graphics have been "good enough" since the 360 in 2005

the whole toy story debate is silly, when the ps5 is out some game will show toy story graphics and we will say the exact same thing... then when the ps6 comes out we will say it again... because real-time ray tracing is still very very far off

the 360 could have run a game with toy story graphics that most people wouldn't be able to distinguish between without a direct comparison... just as the ps5 will run graphics even better than the ps4 which we will then use to say "we have finally arrived" then we will say the same thing with the ps6... it never ends.. we have already arrived... we passed the "good enough" state over 10 years ago
    • Like Like x 4
  24. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 ARMS is a classy game for classy people Staff Member Moderator

I don't disagree in anyway, but the reason I agree with you could go back even father for myself. I started forgetting about graphics right at the GC era. For myself reaching the beginning point for good graphic in every game happened at about that time.
    • Like Like x 2
  25. theMightyME

I agree that it started there, but hd and larger sharper textures and stuff like better particle effects made a pretty big step up in the 360/ps3 generation...

but it started with the gc/ps2/xbox era... especially with cartoony graphics and such
    • Like Like x 3
  26. GaemzDood

Actually, The Tomorrow Children on the PS4 uses voxel cone ray tracing.

27. Goodtwin

I'm into the tech side of games, but am so glad it doesn't dictate my enjoyment. I still love replaying games like Zelda OoT, Mario 64, and Eternal Darkness, so it would have to be a curse to have them "hurt my eyes". I can appreciate advances in game visuals, the lighting in Splatoon 2 is far better than the original, but it's not like I could never bring myself to play the original now. If the visuals hold so much weight that it is the deciding factor for enjoyment.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 2
  28. Shoulder

I would go even further and suggest that if the graphics take more precedent than the gameplay, then the game is likely not that great to begin with.
    • Like Like x 2
  29. theMightyME

But that isn't the same thing, it is a shortcut to a lesser end... Actual real time ray tracing is a long ways off
  30. GaemzDood

I agree. For now, voxel cone tracing is the best we got. Also, one of the reasons real time ray tracing ism't pursued in real time rendering is because it causes severe shimmering, even when using temporal supersampling.

31. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

Jumping back to Xenoblade discussion; the only major graphical change I hope they solve over XCX is the physics engine and collision aspects of the game so that the world and characters don't feel like plastic dolls. It was something that really took me out of XCX given how much verticallity the game had at times, as compared to XC which had less jumping or long drops by comparison.

I do however hope their are mechs... It will feel weird not having that mobility late game.
    • Like Like x 1
  32. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

After playing with Mechs, what I've seen from XC2 gameplay didn't impress me. No doubt I'll enjoy the game, but so far the game looks a bit generic in my opinion.
    • Like Like x 1
  33. Shoulder

In Japanese RPG terms, what does that mean exactly?
  34. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

What? Do you mean how does it compare to typical JRPGs?
  35. Shoulder

But what is typical then? I see people throw these terms around like it's always a bad thing.
  36. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

Questionception.

Typical Defined: "having the distinctive qualities of a particular type of person or thing." (In this case, JRPGs)

I am still trying to understand your original question.
  37. Shoulder

Odo said that based on what he's seen, he said that XC2 looks generic. Well, what does generic in a Japanese RPG game look like? I'm genuinely curious because I've only recalled hearing that with respect to FPS.
    • Like Like x 1
  38. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I can't speak for Odo, but the first thing that comes to mind for me with X2 is how little the new art style distinguishes itself from many other JRPGs. (Although it does have enough unique aspects to it that I can at least tell the difference it and many others) As for gameplay the gameplay and premise, nothing has particularly stood out to me either. I am still looking forward to it based on its pedigree, but based on what we have been shown I am not very excited either.
    • Like Like x 1
  39. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

I think it's easy to dismiss the impact that the game's world will have on the experience because we know so little of it. But I am giddy thinking of the feeling of traveling across the backs of gigantic flying beasts. We already traveled on the corpses of gods in the first Xenoblade, but they were motionless and didn't influence the exploration in any way. Having the massive, extended sword of the Mechonis hanging over the plains we traveled provided a great sight, but in Xenoblade 2 the gigantic flying beasts are living, and their rise and descent in the sea of clouds limits the amount of exploration that is possible, as well as dynamically changing the vistas we get to see.

In terms of the mechanics and game systems, it's anyone's guess how good MonolithSoft's game design will be this time around. All the gem crafting, upgrading, art and skill leveling, affinity charts, and other similar systems could be fun or tedious, but that's just how it goes with MonolithSoft. As far as the exploration goes, I'm excited.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  40. FriedShoes

you can go inside the titanic things btw, if you've kept up with gamescom. shits wild
    • Like Like x 2
  41. EvilTw1n

EvilTw1n Necessary Evil Staff Member Moderator

Heh, when you think about it, XBC itself had a metric f-ton of generic JRPG tropes.

Generally nice, kind protagonist? Check.
    Protagonist an orphan? Check.
    Hometown gets wrecked? Check.
    Giant magic sword? Check.
    Anime girl in thigh-highs? Check.
    Protagonist an effing dolt that can't figure out childhood girl friend is in love with him? Spoiler? Check.
    Best friend is comedic relief? Check.
    Wise, older surrogate who isn't what they seem? Check.
    Robots? Why not?

Shit, we're not even out of Colony 9, are we?
    • Like Like x 3
    • LOL LOL x 1
  42. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

Exactly. That art style looks poor. As well as the creatures. The world doesn't look as good as the other titles and what a I saw from the gameplay didn't impress me at all. The presentation overall is poor.

I don't have more to say in detail, I'm a RPG fan, played tons of them and when you see things like XC, XCX, Ni no Kuni... it just shines.. they're jaw dropping. .. XC2 isn't.. looks ordinary.
    • Like Like x 1
  43. Shoulder

Personally, I think XC2 has better art style compared to XCX, and the characters look a lot better, which Cel-Shading helps with that. As far as the overworld itself goes, it's similar to XCX in terms of style, with the addition of the characters being cel-shaded, which I think already makes the art style better.
  44. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I half agree with that. XCX went for a more or less "realistic" approach to its graphical design, despite keeping the anime-esc art style. It was not as distinct as many RPGs, but I felt it was easily recognizable due to its locals.

I still think the original Xenoblade had the best art and graphical combination of the three so far.
    • Like Like x 1
  45. Shoulder

And XC2 is somehow not recognizable due to its locals?

The distinctions between XC, XCX, and XC2 are far greater than pixel peeping the difference in textures between multi-platform titles on Xbox One and PS4.

Cel-Shaded characters are precisely the reason why the game looks distinctive. XCX, at least from a character standpoint, looks dull and bland, whereas XC2 has a more vibrant style, which interestingly is more reminiscent of the original XC, compared to XCX.
    • Like Like x 2
  46. FriedShoes

Are we all looking at the same videos?
    • LOL LOL x 2
  47. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

We are, but Odo and I have very different tastes than what you and shoulder prefer it seems.
    • Like Like x 1
  48. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

Yeah and it's just our first impression though. We need to pick it up and have a go to say more.
  49. GaemzDood

Tbh I have no idea why anyone would get this over Skyrim.

• Like Like x 1
  50. theMightyME

because monolith soft creates far far far far far far far far far far more interesting worlds and stories

and despite not liking the art style, at least everyone doesn't look soulless and dead eyed
    • Like Like x 2