Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by Juegos, Jul 13, 2017.

1. GaemzDood

GaemzDood Well-Known Member

Honestly, I would want a 4k dock and a 1080p handheld that also supported Nvidia GameWorks. Seeing this kind of game with things like HDR, Nvidia tessellated volumetric god rays, Flow, TurfWorks, HairWorks, VXAO, HFTS, GPU particle/physics, Ansel, and with non-Geforce specific things like 4k textures, dynamic shadows, and anisotropic filtering would be nothing short of salivating.

As I said in a thread I made a while back and just recently edited, I would kill for a Switch "Plus" that would be spec'd similar to a GTX 1060 or a tweaked PS4 undocked and somewhere above the Xbox One X docked (I outlined the specs here). We're already seeing GTX 1060 tablets on the market, who's to say Nvidia's engineers wouldn't be able to make something more nuanced happen? Yes, it technically seems overkill, but one thing I learned from talking to developers is that they like their hardware future proofed, which is exactly what the One X would have been had Microsoft not fucked up the CPU and ROP count.
  2. EvilTw1n

EvilTw1n Necessary Evil Staff Member Moderator

Tora, you're kinda getting creepy in that heart-to-heart, bro. Making it weird.
    • LOL LOL x 1
  3. Karkashan

Karkashan Well-Known Member

Now that i've gotten access to Gold Cylinders, salvaging actually seems worth my time. After expenses, i managed to gain about 600,000 or so in about 30 to 45 minutes. This allowed me to very easily purchase that 500,000 core crystal back in Torigoth.

praisegrima
    • Like Like x 2
  4. theMightyME

theMightyME Editor in Chief of TVEnthusiast

I thought salvaging was worth it from the beginning if only to sell packs of stuff
  5. Karkashan

I really didn't like the minigame/QTE, so I didn't bother (especially since my luck with Silvers was kinda shit). I also had better luck selling spare accessories as a go to method instead.

praisegrima
  6. theMightyME

Did you up your salvaging rank? I found a guy in the salvager city thing from the beggining of the game that can up your rank... I am a rank b... Add you upgrade you get gifts
    • Like Like x 1
  7. theMightyME

Finished chapter 3, now I can equip 3 blades and I have access to the last menu category

I am going the dlc legs you change character costumes
    • Like Like x 2
  8. simplyTravis

simplyTravis "A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

I'm currently having the problem where I want all the rare blades for myself. I don't want to give them to the other characters because I really like playing as Rex, haha. I guess I should start branching out but I always tend to enjoy playing as the main character rather than running around as the support.

Also, I am surprised with how involved (and often serious) the blade missions get.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Goodtwin

Goodtwin Well-Known Member

I just finished chapter 3, and this game owns my life. I need counseling. I spent the bulk of my weekend playing. The story in this game is fantastic. I really like the characters. Now that I have a decent grasp on combat, there is a lot more strategy going on. Using specials, waiting for the gauge to nearly empty before triggering the next one so that my allies have enough time to get their specials up to level 3. Combat is more of a management game really. Once it starts to click, combat becomes a lot more fun.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 4
  10. Shoulder

Shoulder Beardy McShoulder chippin' In...

You guys are hurting me with all this XC2 talk. By the time I get around to playing this, I'll bet Bayo 3 will be out, and you'll all be playing that. :mplain:

Must. Play. More. Games. :mpray:
    • Like Like x 4
  11. sjmartin79

sjmartin79 White Phoenix of the Crown

I'm envious of you guys all playing it too. I own it, but it's sitting in its case... waiting... just waiting... for me to get enough of Skyrim, but damn, I can't quit Skyrim. I'm having too much fun.
    • Like Like x 5
  12. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

Ditto... I keep saying to mself "I should really start playing Xenoblade" and then press the home button and go right back to killing Thalmor agents in Skyrim.
    • Like Like x 3
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  13. EvilTw1n

We're all at about the same place in the game. I was expecting to spend some time in the capital last night (what a freaking sight to see), but plot hit and ended the chapter. I'm not as into the story as I was in the first game, but it's honestly better than I thought it'd be, even with some cutout anime plot. The Nopon aren't quite as annoying as last time, Rex is...the usual clueless trope (but tolerable), and Pyra is actually a really likable character (and no, not just for the obvious reasons). But I want to take a plot break now and do some side work. These first 30 hours have gone by really fast, and I'd like to spend more time enjoying the game world.

The combat really does feel good now, though. I'm not casting shields and heals as much as the first game, but it does feel like I'm orchestrating the offense at this point. It's kind of counter-intuitive that spongier enemy health is making things fun, but it is. Back in Torigoth, I barely felt like I needed blade combos, but now it's a necessity to end battles in a reasonable amount of time.
    • Like Like x 4
  14. theMightyME

that is the thing.. I like anime.. so xbc2 is like watching a good anime, with a bit mroe depth hidden bellow the surface, all while managing complex but fun systems

I think this is the right direction for the franchise, though I might push it abit more towards seinen away from Shounen.... you know... or if stickign to shounen, like a darker shounen... like Hunter x Hunter

edit: actually thta would kind of work, hxh has pretty complex systems in play, you just don't get to use them since it is an anime/manga
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

I'm in the minority then. I prefer the setting and tone of XCX. I wish that game had a stronger storyline and more elegant game systems. I still think XCX2 would be my favorite entry in the franchise.

But XC2 is lots of fun for sure.
    • Like Like x 4
  16. Karkashan

I got to the end of Chapter 3 and did some more stuff in Chapter 4 (just enough to get to the next area) at around 38 hours. At 66 hours I feel ready (lvl 43 and pentagon chips for days) enough to continue to story and head out into the new titan proper.

praisegrima
    • Like Like x 1
  17. EvilTw1n

I enjoy a good anime, but XBC2 has made me positively cringe here and there. I don't mind the aesthetic (it's grown on me), but I don't think the story delivery - thus far, at least - is a good anime. A more generic, more fan-service-y, but better looking anime than XBC. So far. Everyone's mileage will vary on this, though, of course. I hope the back half of the game endears itself more to me.
    I need to replay XCX, since I've gotten more comfortable with Monolith's battle system these past few months, but it'll be a race for second place. For me, the first one is pretty hard to touch now.
    :thinks he's put some serious time into XBC2:

You've put in twice as much time as me.

:goes back to #TeamPleb:

So go on. Your thoughts on what you've played?
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Karkashan

I really enjoy doing Blade and Fusion combos. And pretty much everything related to the combat.

I didn't think i would, at first, since it felt so different from XCX where I felt like I had complete control of the battlefield, but as I've unlocked Rare blades and extra skills, I've found my groove and am fully enjoying my time with it.

praisegrima
    • Like Like x 4
  19. BobSilencieux

BobSilencieux Well-Known Member

I'm also 60 hours in, somewhere in chapter 4, getting closer to heading to the next titan. And also absolutely loving the combat, despite it being different again to both previous games. Fusion combo's are so much fun, particularly because their ridiculous names are announced in a really serious tone, "Steam Bomb Topple!"
    So far, I have managed (once) to get 2 element orbs attached to an enemy, but then killed them before I could launch the chain attack.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  20. theMightyME

1 thing they should add in is instant kill without even entering combat on enemies many levels lower than you... Like let's say if they are a 10th of your level... And then just as some enemies are aggressive towards you, a level difference should also make some enemies run from you
    • Like Like x 1
  21. theMightyME

How do you attach element orbs, I know how to break them in a combo, but never figured out how to attach them
  22. EvilTw1n

I originally felt that keeping break-topple was just there for fans of the original, but it seems like it's in the game for less-than-boss enemies. Chain attacks are, for now at least, reserved for super-spongey bosses or named monsters. Everything else is blade combos multiplying on art-statuses.

(Unless you walk into a herd or pack of high-level fauna. You can keep your party gauge filled from one enemy to another, and initiate a chain...just without the elemental burst payoff).
    Level three blade combo.
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

Just asking this question: What game do you guys think had the best special attack? The original Chain attack from Xenoblade Chronicles, The Overdrive technique from Xenoblade Chronicles X, or the modified chain attack of Xenoblade Chronicles 2?
  24. Juegos

Chain Attack from XC2 seems like a clear upgrade over the first one.

I don't think I could have a final say about Overdrive. I basically only used Overdrive in a single way: using TP refill Arts so I could extend overdrive, resulting in an infinite Overdrive. I didn't mess too much with buffs/debuffs, auras, topple combos, sleep combos, or anything of the sort during Overdrive. I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to run an infinite Overdrive, infinite Topple, constant debuff, sleep combo. It would be exhausting to manage, though.

I guess what I'm saying is that XCX's Overdrive system was extremely flexible, while XC2's seems a little more rigid at this time. But I haven't gotten any buff/debuff or aura characters. I need to play the game more.
    • Like Like x 3
  25. Juegos

• R.A.P. R.A.P. x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  26. theMightyME

• Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  27. BobSilencieux

I absolutely destroyed XCX's combat, taking down the most legendary super-bosses without skells, with infinite overdrive, so I do have great memories of that one. I'm not sure I like the fact that you have to attach multiple element orbs before initiating a chain attack in XB2 though. To have the chain length be so limited by that factor irks me a little.
    • Like Like x 1
  28. EvilTw1n

I can't comment on XCX's combat (that'll be a project for next year), but I don't think XBC2's combat can really be compared 1:1 with the original. Just comparing chain attacks, I liked the original's more, because I used it more and it was applicable to more enemies overall. But that comparison leaves out blade combos - and really, those are the bread and butter of this battle system, not the chain.

I'm digging XBC2's combat because it truly feels different. For a game that has so many similarities with its forebearers, it's impressive how distinct Monolith made this one feel.
    • Like Like x 3
  29. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I could never really get the hang of overdrive, and it did irk me that it ended up being more powerful than even the mech specials. Was there really any way to make use of it without abusing augments and phase walking?
  30. FriedShoes

FriedShoes MLG Staff Member Moderator

i followed like that one guide after beating the game to breaking the overdrive mechanic and taking on some of the endgame beastes in XCX. Before that I never really got a hang of it, kinda bruteforced through the game until I got my mech and then horded up money and resources to buy some ARES mechs and bruteforced my way through the final story chapters. For me, combat was not primary in XCX, I was way more into the world and story.

This is somewhat flipped for me in XC2. I'm having a ton more fun with the combat, it makes a lot more sense than XCX and once you get a rhythm going it feels so fucking good. I'm not deep in the game yet, so I've only faced a few enemies where I could shoot out some blade combos, but its fun to manage it all with just a few buttons.
    Story seems to be typical shounen tier stuff with maybe some deeper themes, I'm only on chapter 3 so its still early. Its good though, characters and intrigue. Much more saccharine than the grim tale that is much of XCX.
    One thing though. I'm playing with Japanese voices. Man, do they change a lot of character names for seemingly no reason? I guess going from Homura to Pyra makes sense she is a """fire""" blade. But from Hana to Poppi? Downgrade.

World takes a hit because Zelda and Mario to an extent has spoiled me with movement in large worlds. The design and nooks and crannies of the first Titan is very cool, but getting around it all feels hella restricted and kills a lot of that awe for me.
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  31. EvilTw1n

I swear I'm not trying to shit on Kotaku, but this is why "reh-vooz ur uh-pin-yunz" fucks with your editorial standards. You get a 12-best list of games on Switch, aaaaaaaaaaaaand you can't add XBC2 because your media organization (not just one person, because that person wrote the review on behalf of the media organization) gave the game a shit review. And maybe Golf Story and Overcooked are really fantastic games, and maybe we should all be playing Skyrim instead of Xenoblade. But now I look at your list* and I'm pretty damn sure that it looks the way it does because you can't reign in your own writers to have basic journalistic standards. I dare 'em to add XBC2 in later revisions with an addendum of "well, even if it doesn't appear that we like it, we think it's a good game." It'll be priceless.

For the record, I'm only pointing this one out because it's the very reason I didn't originally review XBC for our site. I think the site turnover screwed with our archives, but I'm pretty sure we gave the original our GOTY. You have any idea how shitty it would have looked for us if I up and 7/10-ed the game while we also made it GOTY? Reviews are journalism, too.

*List has been updated since XBC2's release.
    Y'know, I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but I think you're right. I just felt more freedom to explore in the first game. XBC2 has a bit of a restricted feel, in the way that the map is structured. It's part of the reason that the game does feel distinct from the first one, but it's also a bit less...airy? I dunno.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  32. BobSilencieux

1. Nope

2. Yes, there were other builds that were almost as effective, just a bit harder to manage.
  33. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

• LOL LOL x 2
  34. Karkashan

It keeps the flower theme to her name.

praisegrima
    • Like Like x 1
  35. EvilTw1n

Before going further into XBC2, I decided to spend a few hours questing tonight. And whew. This really does feel like the weakest part of the game. I never really felt like the map was too bad in the main quests, but geez, good luck finding your way to Honeypot Grotto (I accidentally found it), or the one spot where you have to go to a salvage overlook at high tide to jump on a little island that appears there, but only in the wee early morning hours. The map system might be more tolerable if the quests weren't all freaking multi-part affairs. I had chopped down my quest menu screen so that there were three left...and then one of them branched out into four separate quests, the first of those which had its own sub-quest. And they're all "go here, then here, then here, then come back here."

I miss the @CitizenOfVerona quests - "go get five bear asses." This is the one giant leap XBC2 takes back. The original streamlined subquests. You got a ton of them, and you would always accept them because odds are, you'd complete them in the natural course of exploration. You wouldn't have to go back to who gave you the quest to complete them, either, so the mood was never broken from exploring. Yeah, there were a few more elaborate ones tossed in for flavor, but not all of them with this X-Y-Z, then back to X thing.

XBC2 is great. I love it (second best Nintendo game this year - come at me, bros). But it's like Monolith decided they had to mess around with everything they had done up to this point. So it's neat and feels distinct because the combat is different and the world is laid out in a way that rewards re-exploring areas (because you'll walk right past crucial routes), but it's also maddening because they screwed up the map overlay and sent the side quests back 10 years.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  36. FriedShoes

FriedShoes MLG Staff Member Moderator

The Felle island was pretty straightforward. Got lucky with the Honeypot Grotto because I couldnt find my way to Umon's Shipyard at the beginning of Chapter 3 so I ended up finding every single other location before finding my way there. Its not thaaat out of place, I think its bread-crumbed by skeeters (lmao they named something that?) and caterpillars.