The Nintendo Switch’s sales momentum has been massive since it first launched back in March 2017. After achieving its full two-year anniversary just last month, it turns out that its market performance has become one of the record books. It has been revealed by the NPD Group that the Switch was the best-selling console in the US for the month of March. It’s held that position for the past four months. On top of that, its performance for Q1 (the first financial quarter for the year) has not only grew since 2018, but this past Q1 has seen it go higher than the level PS4 and Xbox One were at their peak.
So, in other words, the Switch’s sales growth is healthier than the other platforms on top of being successful in general.
In other March NPD stat news, gamepads were the best-selling accessory for the month, growing over last year. Even though the Switch is the best-selling system, most people are purchasing black DualShock 4 controllers this year so far. Spending on accessories and game cards have also grown by 2% YoY.
Here’s a rundown of the monetary stats for each category:
- Total: $1.179 billion (Down 11% from $1.325 billion in March 2018)
- Hardware: $282 million (Down 15% from $331 million)
- PC and console software: $547 million (Down 11% compared to 617 million)
- Accessories: $349 million (Down 7% from $377 million)
Overall, the market has seen a relatively small dip but is still healthy. As the Switch enjoys the limelight as the only truly new system on the market for at least another year or so, its market performance is likely to remain high.
The Nintendo Switch was the best selling console for March in the US according to the NPD Group
– Switch is number 1 hardware 4 months in a row
– Switch is up a massive double digit % YoY For Q1
– Switch has the best Q1 of this entire generation (higher than PS4 peak or X1) pic.twitter.com/zwTLsZtBfb
— Benji-Sales (@BenjiSales) April 23, 2019