Pokémon GO burst onto the scene as the most popular game in the world in 2016 and introduced millions to the series for the first time. The excitement has calmed down since then, but it remains popular to this day. This is largely due to developer Niantic regularly updating the mobile adventure with new content. Pokémon GO‘s developers constantly add new features and special events to keep people hooked. The Detective Pikachu movie hits theaters in just a few days, and Niantic is looking to capitalize once again.
Starting tomorrow, you can look forward to an in-game event themed around the upcoming movie. This update lets you take on new Field Research missions, try out new outfits, gain XP bonuses, and even catch the titular Detective Pikachu himself.
All the Detective Pikachu event details
Here’s the full breakdown from Niantic:
Date + Time
- Tuesday, May 7, 2019, at 1 p.m. to Friday, May 17, 2019, at 1 p.m. PDT (GMT ?7)
- Select Pokémon featured in the movie will appear in raids.
- Pokémon that appear in the movie will show up more frequently in the wild.
- If you’re lucky, you could be photobombed by a Pikachu in a detective hat—with a chance to catch one of your very own!
- Double XP for catching Pokémon
- Specially themed Field Research will be available for a limited time during this event.
- Themed avatar items will be available in the Style Shop.
Detective Pikachu will likely be a smash hit at the box office, and that’s good news for the Pokémon brand in general. Niantic is counting on those moviegoers to be tempted to pull out their phones and immerse themselves in the world of Pokémon GO. When they do, they’ll be able to snap pictures of Detective Pikachu in the wild, and they might even catch him! You can catch Niantic’s trailer for this special event below.
Nintendo Enthusiast’s Managing Editor. I grew up on Super Nintendo and never stopped playing. Been writing video game news, opinions, reviews, and interviews professionally for over a decade. Favorite franchises include Zelda, Metroid, and Mother.