Nintendo Switch is selling like hotcakes! Many were quick to declare Nintendo a has-been after Wii U flopped, but Switch has them back on top. The hybrid console basically owns the top hardware spot in Japan and has for many months. The latest sales report from Japan shows it selling over 83,000 units over the past two weeks. More importantly, it confirms a major milestone. Nintendo Switch has now sold more units than PlayStation 4 in Japan.
Another major milestone
PlayStation 4 is the top-selling console this generation with nearly 100 million sales worldwide. However, it can only claim a much more modest 8 million units sold in Japan. Each week that Switch topped the charts it drew closer and closer to catching up, and it finally surpassed it during Japan’s Golden Week. PlayStation 4 released in Japan on February 22, 2014. Switch launched over three years later on March 3, 2017. As Game Data Library pointed out, this means Switch accomplished in 116 weeks what took Sony’s console 274 weeks. That’s less than half!
Obviously, Switch is greatly benefited by its handheld nature. Home consoles just don’t sell in Japan the way they used to, but there’s still a market for handhelds. Nintendo has also done a much better job of releasing high-quality exclusives this generation. Games like Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate are all system sellers. Nintendo has also released a cheaper Switch model in Japan. It slices around $50 off the price by excluding the dock. This caters to those who only want a handheld and to those who already have one Switch and dock set.
Nintendo Switch dominates the charts
Hardware Sales (followed by lifetime sales)
- Switch – 37,471 (8,125,637)
- PlayStation 4 – 17,646 (6,918,073)
- PlayStation 4 Pro – 12,357 (1,159,683)
- New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 8,840 (1,619,429)
- New 3DS LL – 1,511 (5,877,659)
- PS Vita – 1,088 (5,5859,668)
- Xbox One X – 196 (15,177)
- Xbox One S – 186 (90,202)
Software Sales (followed by lifetime sales)
- [PS4] Days Gone (SIE, 04/26/19) – 45,864 (160,183)
- [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo, 12/07/18) – 33,842 (3,076,992)
- [NSW] Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition (Bundle Version Included) (Microsoft, 06/21/18) – 28,369 (776,378)
- [NSW] New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (Nintendo, 01/11/19) – 26,584 (611,390)
- [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 26,154 (2,295,735)
- [NSW] Yoshi’s Crafted World (Nintendo, 03/29/19) – 20,873 (130,744)
- [NSW] Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! / Let’s Go, Eevee! (Bundle Editions Included) (Nintendo, 11/16/18) – 20,318 (1,524,756)
- [NSW] Super Mario Party (Bundle Version Included) (Nintendo, 10/05/18) – 18,309 (1,025,137)
- [NSW] Splatoon 2 (Bundle Version Included) (Nintendo, 07/21/17) – 17,388 (3,063,187)
- [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Limited Edition Included) (Nintendo, 03/03/17) – 16,206 (1,314,946)
Nintendo Enthusiast’s Managing Editor. I grew up on Super Nintendo and never stopped playing. Been writing video game news, opinions, reviews, and interviews professionally for over a decade. Favorite franchises include Zelda, Metroid, and Mother.