My favourite game of 2017 was not what you would expect. In a year that featured Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, Forza Motorsport 7, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Cuphead, my favourite game was a little indie title called Aaero. Well, in a move that pretty much makes my year, we now have news that Aaero is coming to Switch on 24th December.
Aaero, from two-man development team ‘Mad Fellows’, is a rhythm action sci-fi shooter with a killer soundtrack. Imagine Guitar Hero crossed with Rez and you’re about halfway there. I adore the way that it uses the music in such an exciting way. The Nintendo Switch release is being labelled as the complete edition and features all the DLC released on other platforms. Here’s what Paul Norris, Creative Director at Mad Fellows, had to say about Aaero: Complete Edition –
We were deep into the development of Aaero when Nintendo announced the Switch and, with a team of just two of us, we simply didn’t have the time or budget to consider adding another platform at the time.
Aaero is a fast paced game that relies on super-responsive controls to keep the action locked to the music. It’s deceptively demanding in terms of hardware. Fortunately, it turns out the Switch is a little beast! It quickly became obvious that this was going to be something very special.
If you’re unfamiliar with the game, here’s the official description as well as the trailer for the game –
Independent two-man team Mad Fellows bring you Aaero. Originally released on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Steam on April 11th2017 to rave reviews, Aaero synergizes high-speed sci-fi shooting action with immersive music elements to deliver an amazing audio-visual experience. Speed through stunning, stylized environments as you trace ribbons of light, all the while releasing the energy in the game’s music. Encounter strange enemies, evade incoming obstacles, and overcome epic boss battles – all driven by an incredible licensed soundtrack from Noisia, Flux Pavilion, Katy B, The Prototypes, Neosignal and many more.
- Pilot your craft through dynamic environments, negotiating obstacles and battling enemies, all synced to a banging soundtrack.
- Licensed music from the superstars of the EDM genre including Noisia, Flux Pavilion, Katy B, Neosignal, Astronaut, Barely Alive and many more.
- Soar through 21 different levels, each painstakingly crafted to match the music.
- Encounter mammoth boss creatures and use strategic shooting and music energy to defeat these monstrosities.
- Ground-breaking technology that pulls freeform gameplay into perfect time with the music.
- Four game modes – Normal, Advanced, Master and Chill-out (a relaxed, practice-focused mode)
- The Complete Edition includes the 1000DaysWasted: Drum & Bass Pack, The Monstercat Pack as well as the Comet, Phaser and Sol player ship skins.