Former Megami Tensei and Shin Megami Tensei staff are working on a new RPG called Monark, and it is coming to Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 5, and PlayStation 4 in Japan. Publisher FuRyu also revealed in this week’s issue of Famitsu that the game would launch in Japan with a release date of Oct. 14, 2021 for 8,470 yen (~$77.41). The developer was also revealed as Lancarse.
The story’s main character is the head of the True Student Council, a group dedicated to solving abnormalities taking place at the school. (Note: the kanji for “True”/”Shin” is the same for Shin Megami Tensei, so there’s your nod). You can pick one buddy out of four characters to take on the abnormal. The main story has multiple endings, with different routes for each of the four buddy characters.
As for the battle system, Monark offers a “Free Move Turn-Based Battle System.” The battles revolve around a system called “Madness,” which allows characters to use powerful abilities the higher it goes. However, there’s one big risk worth noting. When a character’s Madness goes too high, they go berserk and attack enemies and allies, so you’ll need to weigh the reward and risk carefully.
There’s also an EGO system based on the player’s desire cost of pride, wrath, envy, lust, and gluttony. The diagnosis and choices you make will influence the demon “Underlings” that you can use. Players will get to customize the appearances and voices of their Underlings.
Highlights from the developer interview
- Fuyuki Hayashi and Mitsuhiro Hoshino started putting Monark together after getting excited talking about Shin Megami Tensei IF and how there aren’t many games like it today.
- Scenario writer Fuyuki Hayashi feels that the staff’s enthusiasm and chemistry made the whole project possible.
- Kazunari Suzuki is the scenario supervisor. He’s been helping scenario writers Fuyuki Hayashi and Ryutaro Ito.
- Ryutaro Ito has already written stories for over 100 students.
- Tsukasa Masuko has already composed 40 songs.
Monark launches for Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 5, and PlayStation 4 in Japan this October. The full reveal will include a trailer and more from Monark on June 10 in Japan.