Nintendo has just wrapped up another strong fiscal year, complete with software sales that smashed all expectations. Everything Nintendo touches turns to gold right now, and that includes upgraded ports of old Wii U games. Switch has cashed in big on underperforming Wii U titles, and the latest to reach a major milestone is New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe. Two years after its launch on Switch, the 2D platformer has just become Switch’s tenth game to reach 10 million sales!
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe hits 10 million
That’s an impressive context on two different fronts, so let’s get into some context. Any game reaching 10 million sales is impressive, but that’s especially true when compared to its original release. The Wii U version of the game sold just 5.81 million copies. That’s nothing to scoff at, but New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe has nearly doubled that on Switch. Perhaps even more impressive is the fact that it’s the tenth game to reach the 10 million mark on Switch. Exactly zero games managed to do that on Wii U.
Of course, that’s not terribly surprising when you compare the overall success of Switch to Wii U. Switch sales currently stand at 84.59 million. whereas Wii U only sold 13.56 million units in its lifetime. You can check out the complete top ten list for Nintendo Switch, all 10 million sellers, below.
Nintendo Switch top ten
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 35.39 million
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 32.63 million
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate -23.84 million
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 22.28 million
- Pokémon Sword/Pokémon Shield – 21.10 million
- Super Mario Odyssey – 20.83 million
- Super Mario Party – 14.79 million
- Pokémon Let’s Go, Pikachu/Let’s Go, Eevee – 13.28 million
- Splatoon 2 – 12.21 million
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe – 10.44 million