Earlier this year, society was shaken to its very core when Paramount Pictures unveiled the first trailer for the Sonic the Hedgehog live-action movie. Sonic looked like an expired Beanie Baby, causing such an outcry of negative feedback from the internet that Paramount and Sega decided to delay the film and go back to the drawing board with the design of the Blue Blur. They enlisted the help of Sonic Mania artist Tyson Hesse, and with a new design and fresh trailer, prospects are high for the once doomed Sonic movie. Now, just a couple months away from the theatrical release of the film, Sega and Paramount have announced a slew of official Sonic movie merchandise for fans young and old to dole out their cash on.
Now, this isn’t the first news of official Sonic movie merchandise we’ve seen. Over the summer, a cursed Sonic the Hedgehog Halloween mask based on the original movie design was being sold online. Thankfully, all of this new merchandise should be based off of the new design rather than the death-inducing abomination from the original trailer. A full list of the announced merchandise is a follows:
- Bentex: Apparel for youth (Spring 2020)
- Bioworld: Apparel for adults
- Build-a-Bear Workshop: Specialty plush items and accessories
- Diamond Select Toys: Highly detailed premium statue featuring an iconic scene (Spring 2020)
- Franco: Sonic bedding (Spring 2020)
- JAKKS Pacific: Playsets and plushies available in select territories (January 2020)
- Penguin Publishing: Variety of children’s books (December 2019)
- Sega Shops: Capsule collection of items (January 2020)
- Snapco and Ping Solutions: In-cinema concessions premiums including drink toppers and popcorn buckets at select theaters
- Toy Factory and Sega Amusement: Novelty products for amusement parts and attractions in North America and Europe
- TBM Fashion Lab and Cooneen: Apparel for adults and youth internationally (Early 2020)
Sonic the Hedgehog is set to arrive in theaters on Feb. 14, 2020.