Edmund McMillen’s The Binding of Isaac: Repentance, the “bigger than any sequel” final expansion and concluding chapter of the roguelike video game, will launch on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 5 in Q3 2021, with Switch and PS5 physical preorders open now at the Nicalis Store. This physical version retails for $59.99 regardless of platform, so you had better be a hardcore fan or a hardcore collector to make the price tag worth your while. In any case, Isaac will be traveling to new places and facing “unholy terrors from his wildest dreams and worst nightmares,” which sounds awful for him but is probably great from a gameplay standpoint.
The Binding of Isaac: Repentance promises the following long list of features on Switch and its other platforms:
- A full alternate path with brand new chapters and a new final boss and ending
- True cooperative play for up to 4 players
- An impossible number of balance changes, visual and gameplay updates and fixes
- 130+ new items (700+ items in total)
- Many new item combinations with logical effects, new visuals and mechanics
- Two new playable characters
- 100+ new enemies, 25+ new bosses
- 7 new challenges, 5,000+ new room designs
- Surprises galore!
The Binding of Isaac is a decade old this year, though its remake, The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, launched slightly more recently in 2014 before ultimately coming to New Nintendo 3DS, Wii U, and Nintendo Switch. The Binding of Isaac: Repentance on Nintendo Switch will finally close the door on the series for Nintendo fans come Q3 2021. However, if you can’t wait that long, Repentance will launch much sooner on PC, arriving on Steam on March 31.